November 2016 Moms
Options

anyones baby have eczema?

Does your LO have eczema? Where on their body??  My LO has it on his face..it's dry and red and I hate it.  I put different lotions and aquaphor on it.. some days it's barely there, other days it's horrible  He also has a small dry patch on each arm just above the elbow but it's not red, just dry to the touch.  
Some people have mentioned using hydrocortisone on it but my dr has not said anything about it.  
I know babies can have this but my ODS did not..any idea when they typically outgrow it??  

Re: anyones baby have eczema?

• Options
    I wouldn't worry too much. From what I've read it will get better with time. We thought LO had eczema on her face and ears, but now it is clearly cradle cap. I just keep putting aquaphor, lotion, and/or coconut oil on it.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    Yes!! H has a history of eczema. S developed it at about 4 weeks and has it on her face, her elbows, behind her knees, and on her chest. We use Aquaphor several times a day. But she also has very sensitive skin, and other lotions have not done so well. I'm hoping that she grows out of it at some point. Baby skin is supposed to be soft. Unfortunately her's can be very rough. It breaks my heart.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Breastmilk and California Baby calendula cream do the trick over here!
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    E has a super dry scalp and forehead. She's been scratching at it and making it bleed a bit. We mentioned it to the dr today at her check-up and she didn't say that E has eczema, but did say we could use hydrocortisone to help with the itchiness so she stops going after it. We also are using coconut oil - putting it on 10-15 minutes before bath then washing it off thoroughly. 
  • Options
    E has a super dry scalp and forehead. She's been scratching at it and making it bleed a bit. We mentioned it to the dr today at her check-up and she didn't say that E has eczema, but did say we could use hydrocortisone to help with the itchiness so she stops going after it. We also are using coconut oil - putting it on 10-15 minutes before bath then washing it off thoroughly. 
    I don't remember if you're BF, but seriously, putting some BM (if you can) on it really does do wonders. 
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ - i hadn't thought of that. I am doing both BF and formula because I have a pathetic supply, but I will gladly use some of it on her head if it helps her out. 
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ - i hadn't thought of that. I am doing both BF and formula because I have a pathetic supply, but I will gladly use some of it on her head if it helps her out. 
    Express some right onto it. You'd be amazed what BM can help - acne, dryness, etc...
  • Options
    jsmaijsmai member
    I keep trying different lotions and, other than aquaphor, each one has really irritated her skin. Yesterday I tried CeraVe after her bath and NO REACTION!!! Her skin felt noticeably softer that day too. Finally!
  • Options
    Express some right onto it. You'd be amazed what BM can help - acne, dryness, etc...
    When A had RSV and we had no saline, our pediatrician recommended shooting breast milk up her nose. It worked a charm, once we got the saline, my husband and I agreed the breast milk worked better. Breast milk really is a magic cure all.
  • Options
    She does not stay still for me to express it right onto her - I managed to once, but only for half her head. So I've been taking the milk I've pumped and putting a little in my hand then rubbing it on her head. It does seem to be helping!
  • Options
    When I went to the doc for my own eczema she told me to look out for lotions with alcohol in them (I think the full name is something like ceteryl alcohol). They put it in there to make it evaporate faster so you don't feel oily, but that defeats the purpose of lotion if you have really dry skin because it dries you out. She recommended Aveeno and to double check the ingredients to make sure of no alcohol. I've been using LO's Aveeno and bam, better already. Johnson's bedtime purple lotion has the alcohol, fyi. 
  • Options
    @lajoliedreamer did the dr say to put the hydrocortisone on her scalp?  We were given hydrocortisone as well but was told to put it on the worst looking areas..he is constantly scratching at his scalp and forehead and has scratches all over..it's driving me crazy.  I didn't think to put the hydrocortisone there but it's not a bad idea
  • Options
    @rachlee2010 - yes, hydrocortisone right on her scalp. Our ped mentioned it offhand as something we could do to help prevent her from scratching her head so much. I bought it, but haven't done it yet. I think I might tonight, her head is looking pretty bad.
  • Options
    @lajoliedreamer
    my lo's head looks awful..i feel like people see it and think i'm an awful parent..we just can't get him to stop and can't keep up with his nails..ughh...my oldest never had this issue (he occasionally scratched his face and left a mark) but not like this one..I wish I could do something to make him less itchy that truly worked.
  • Options
    @jsmai
    we are using cerave as well
  • Options
    Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited March 2017
    Did the pedi say it was ok to put the cortisone cream on her face also? S has a rash/dry skin all over her face. Pedi said its just a normal rash and put aquafor. That only seems to help a bit. S is constantly rubbing her face. I thought it was because she's sleepy but I'm thinking she is itchy also. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 - E's dry skin goes down her forehead and the dr implied we could put it on all of it. I didn't ask specifically about face, though.
  • Options
    @lajoliedreamer
    my lo's head looks awful..i feel like people see it and think i'm an awful parent..we just can't get him to stop and can't keep up with his nails..ughh...my oldest never had this issue (he occasionally scratched his face and left a mark) but not like this one..I wish I could do something to make him less itchy that truly worked.
    I'm with you! I feel the same way about E's dry head. It's just impossible to keep up with her nails and her poor head is just so dry and red. The breastmilk trick does help, but her head starts to smell like sour milk so we haven't been doing it that much.
  • Options
    Hey ladies, this popped up on my fb and I just thought I'd share in case anyone wanted to give it a try. I don't know much about it since I just saw it and obviously have no testimony on it, but thought I'd share.

https://itchybabyco.com.au/shop/
  • Options
    Update on E's dry head - hydro-cortisone has made a huge difference. I'd been putting it off because I wanted to solve the issue naturally, but it just kept getting worse. I finally put it on her head and forehead before daycare a few days ago and by the time she came home it wasn't so red and angry. I've been doing it once or twice a day since then and I'm wishing I'd tried it sooner - her head is barely red anymore, she isn't scratching and making it bleed, and the dry skin is starting to clear up. I definitely recommend it!
  • Options
    @lajoliedreamer
    we also started putting hydrocortisone with some vaseline on S scalp..it has made a huge difference..he's still scratching but not nearly as bad and it looks like a normal scalp again!!