August 2017 Moms

Homebirth/Birth Center Mamas

Hi ladies! I figured I'd start a thread to connect moms who have already chosen to plan a homebirth/birth center birth. (Feel free to jump in if you're doing an unmediated hospital birth as well.) We'll need some good support when it comes time!

I don't know if we have any of these people here, but here's a GTKY thread to kind of connect. 

Note: please don't come in this thread and bash people who are choosing out of hospital/unmedicated births or scare us with your horror story. We get enough of that already ;)

How far along are you?

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)?

FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before?

GTKY: What made you choose an unmedicated birth and how are you preparing?

Re: Homebirth/Birth Center Mamas

• How far along are you? // 18 weeks

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)? // Planning a homebirth with midwives (duh). One of my dear friends is a midwife but she's due on the exact. same. day so we're doubtful she'll be one of the two midwives attending the birth. :(

FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before? // FTM and nope!

GTKY: What made you choose an unmedicated birth and how are you preparing? // I actually went to midwifery school years ago and was trained as a doula and a childbirth educator. I quickly figure out that the midwife career wasn't for me, but the birth style was. I'm looking forward to being able to be mobile, have no drugs, birth in the water if I want, and be home as soon as the baby is born! We're preparing by reading Natural Birth the Bradley Way (jury is still out on how DH and I feel about that one) and Mindful Birthing which we looove so far.

• How far along are you?
    17 weeks 5 days
    What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)?
    planning our 2nd home birth
    STM - had DS at home in 2014
    I prefer the hands off approach. I had a lot of preferences for my labor that I knew would be better suited with a midwife outside of a hospital. I also have some fear/bad associations with hospitals so I knew I would personally feel safest in the comfort of my own home. Our experience was wonderful and I am really looking forward to this LO's birth! Right now I am rereading "Birthing From Within" and going to a birth conference in April. I'm going to hear Ina May Gaskin speak and I am super giddy about it!
    Love this thread idea! @mrsmatt1212 I actually want to go to midwifery school one day!
  • Loading the player...
  • @lyndshurt so encouraged by your story! I always get a lot of side eyes because I'm a FTM and I "don't know what it's like", but I guess that's the point? Like I want to write my own birth story. Also, SAME on fears associated with hospital. I'm trying to work on those since anything can happen. 

What did did you think about Birthing From Within? I've heard mixed reviews. So jealous you're hearing Ina May!!!!!
  • dinofreakdinofreak member
    edited March 2017
    Ftm, 18 weeks, planning on unmedicated birth in a hospital. (Small town, no other option besides home birth but no midwives here.) The hospital is VERY open to unmedicated birth methods, but they still require an IV for fluids, which I'm bummed about.  I've always been fascinated by birth stories and thought about being a midwife for a long time. I've trusted my body to do so many things in my life already, and I want to trust it to do this all by itself, too. 
    I'm preparing so far by staying in good physical shape. I know it will be a lot easier if I've been training for the marathon of birth. In third trimester I'm going to start birth classes and take some online courses since my small town has limited options. I have very little knowledge on the best birth lectures and methods so I'm glad for this thread!
  • @dinofreak I wiiiiish we had unmedicated-friendly hospitals here!! One is a teaching hospital so are used to super high risk, and the other is more bougie and I don't think I'd trust. We have a birth center but there's no waaayyy I'd deliver there (they're crappy).  Birth stories fascinate me too so I can't wait to read all of ours! Feel free to ask questions here as they come up! I've never done it before, but have some education!
  • How far along are you? 18 weeks

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)? Birth center

FTM? STM? Have you had an unmedicated birth before? FTM

GTKY: What made you choose an unmedicated birth and how are you preparing? I believe that in a healthy pregnancy childbirth shouldn't be treated as a medical procedure. I always knew that I wanted the least amount of intervention as possible. I haven't prepared much yet. But I'll have classes at the birth center in June/July and am planning on reading Birthing From Within during my beach week. Right now I'm reading The Mindful Mom-to-Be. 
  • @LivLew I bet the classes at the birth center will be suuuuper helpful. Our midwives are kind of educating as we go, and I didn't think I wanted a formal group class (people annoy me), but now I'm questioning that! I wish we had a hypnobirthing class here.

• How far along are you?
    20 weeks

birth center less than a mile from the hospital 

STM and yes i gave birth to my daughter in 2015 in the same birth center 

i love the hands on approach you get with a birth center they don't have nearly the amount of patients as a regular OB so it's much more personal. at my last visit our midwife even gave us $120 worth of my prenatal vitamin that i needed for free cause her and DH got along so well. i had DD less than three hours after getting there so this time i'm leaving as soon as the contractions start lol 
  • @breanna428 wow!! How long was your total labor with DD?
  • How far along are you?
    18wks 3days 

hospital birthing suite, unmedicated water birth 

Yes
    DS (18) born at hospital unmedicated
    DD (13) home waterbirth
    DD (9.5) home waterbirth 

After I had my first DD (19), I had a very long long labor that included induction (pitocin, stadol, and epidural, and an episiotomy).
    I was only 19 at the time, and was kind of traumatized by the experience. When I got pg with my son, I moved across the US, and hired a doula. It made ALL the difference and I found myself feeling more confident and capable. By the time I got to the hospital, I was ready to birth him. After that I ventured into homebirth for my two youngest daughters.
    This time I'm opting to be in the hospital with a midwife, and I'm happy I have the option to do waterbirth again. 
    The warm water is very comforting and I can say that I feel more in control being in the water. It's also nice to be in a squatting position when pushing baby out. It feels most natural to me. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @thistle8677 I can already tell the tub is going to be my friend! What made you switch back to the hospital for this LO?
  • @mrsmatt1212 I have enjoyed Birthing From Within but I'm also a huge Ina fan so I like everything of her's that I've read so far. 

Last time, most of my friends and family doubted me and thought I was crazy. This time around they don't say anything. And some have even come around to considering natural birth/planning an out-of-hospital birth. Stay the course! We can encourage each other :smile:

Also, I need to add some books to my list! Mindful Birthing and the Mindful Mom-you-Be sound like good reads! @LivLew
  • thistle8677thistle8677 member
    edited March 2017
    To be honest @mrsmatt1212, while I loved my home births, I found that I couldn't get out of mom mode to my other kids (no family to help) so after my last DD I kind of wished I had been in a place where I was personally taken care of more. I also experienced worsening after birth pains with each child, and using only tinctures and Tylenol wasn't cutting it. I really want to enjoy that first 24 hours without wincing when my uterus contracts back during breastfeeding, so I'm hoping at that point I can have something stronger. 

Side note, I also attended a midwifery school for a short time after my son, and I've also been a doula  :)
    I first found the Spiritual Midwifery book in the Boston library when I became pregnant at age 19; circa 1996. So, I think the seeds were always there and the allure of a homebirth, especially in water was an instinctual draw.

Great thread! 
    (Edited to change my age when pg with first DD. I obviously can't remember much these days!)
  • Very interesting! @thistle8677 I hadn't considered that. My DS will be in preschool next year so hopefully I will feel able to focus on LO.

I want to read Spiritual Midwifery this time around! Do you recommend it?
  • great thread idea! :)

How far along are you? 18 weeks
    What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)? birthing center (on the campus of a hospital)
    FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before? STM; had a waterbirth at birthing center with DD
    GTKY: What made you choose an unmedicated birth and how are you preparing? What originally even opened my eyes to the option was seeing the Business of Being Born. After that I knew that I wanted a birth that involved the least amount of interventions. I was actually very nervous and scared of doing it unmedicated but I knew that our bodies were meant to give birth so I wanted to allow my body to do what it was made to do. Since the birthing center was on the campus of a hospital it gave me the reassurance I needed in the event something went wrong... or if I changed my mind! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's definitely a slice of the 70's @lyndshurt! Ha! It's got some nice stories about different couples and mothers laboring/birthing. If you're a fan of Ina, you'll appreciate the book! 
  • Thanks for the feedback! @thistle8677 sounds right up my alley! I'm so fascinated by the whole movement and would totally appreciate the times.
  • @pbandjyummies yes to Business of Being Born!!! So great, and helped DH to get on board (it's on Netflix for anyone who wants to watch it).

@thistle8677 ooohh I didn't even think about the other kids thing! I totally get wanting to be taken care of more--good for you for recognizing that.

loving everyone's stories and perspectives!!
  • Not doing a homebirth/birth center, but I love lurking the other BMBs and reading the birth announcements. Lots of mamas have posted about their birth experiences and it's fascinating to see how different they all are! That might be a helpful resource for others curious about their options.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How far along are you?
    20wks today!!

hospital birthing suite, laboring in tub but delivering in bed (law in Michigan) with a midwife and maybe a doula if my sister can make it to the hospital in time

FTM

It started because I am terrified of needles being stuck in me. I can handle shots but when I last had an IV I wanted to rip it out of my arm every second of the 24 hour it was there. I couldn't relax which would be counter-productive during labor. So I knew an epidural was not an option either. After that, we watched The Business of Being Born and that really solidified my decision. The only person who supports me right now are my mom and DH (he's falling off the wagon though because I've been such a baby through this pregnancy). I'm currently reading Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds to learn the science behind why epidurals and induction are counter-productive and also how the hospital can help. Our hospital actually has the book in their L&D waiting room which is how I heard about it. Planning to start Guide to Childbirth next month on our babymoon and they learn Hypnobirthing through just the book in the third trimester. We are also taking the Natural Birthing class at our hospital in June.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @secicc12 well I know what I'm going to be doing all day!! Thx for the heads up!

@budzynb sounds like you've found some incredible resources! Has your DH read any of the books with you or watch biz of being born? I think the more my husband has learned, the more on board he is. And love that your hospital is supportive of that! 
  • @budzynb Most of my friends think I'm crazy for choosing an unmedicated birth. DH, thankfully, is on board. On the beginning he said that since I'm the one getting the baby out he would support any decision I made. After watching the business of birth he's 100% in favor of minimizing intervention.
  • How far along are you?
    21 Weeks 

Unmedicated Hospital Birth

STM, DD was an unmedicated hospital birth.

I always planned on giving birth in the hospital because there are no birthing centers close, and I am not comfortable with a home birth because we live 45 minutes from the hospital. I decided to go unmedicated because honestly I am more afraid of the side effects of the interventions than I am letting my body do what it's meant to. I had a very hard and fast labor last time (DD was born 1.5 hours after my water broke.) This time I am studying hypnobirth to help me control pain. 
  • @MamaMaggieMae I've heard suuuuch good things about hypnobirthing!! 
  • How far along are you?
    18 weeks

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital?
    unmedicated hospital because of lack of options in my area 

4th babe yes DS was unmedicated at the same hospital same midwife 

i had OBs with my first two and both of them started by my waters breaking befor labor. My first I had an epidural and a episiotomy. I hadn't even been pushing for 10 min and she gave the episiotomy and then threatened vacuum assistants if I didn't get DD out now. Looking back I don't understand why the OB was in such a rush because DD and I where doing fine and making good progress for a FTM with an epidural. I didn't even think about what I wanted for my birthing experience with DD1s birth before hand, and recover was the hardest I've had with the episiotomy.

With DD2 I planned to have a unmedicated hospital birth, but when my waters broke I never started having contractions. I waited until close to 15 hours trying everything to get them going, but I didnt feel DD2 move anymore and it scared me so we went to the hospital where I got pitocin for over 13 more hours and countless threats of csection. I was more prepared this time so I was able to tell I was fine and DD2 was fine and kept declining and letting my body work. She ended up being in a aweful position where her head was not putting pressure on my cervix and when she was born her head was lop sided like really weirdly. It did return to normal after a few days. My nurses where amazing and I went 10 hours with horrible pitocin contractions before opting for the epidural when I ultimately started to give up. But they wouldn't let me and helped me into all sorts of positions to get her to turn into a more favorable position and when she did I went from 6 to crowing in like 15 min.

DS I started having real contractions on my due date and had him days later haha. But I would choose the prodomal labor over broken waters to start anytime. I also took vitamin C with my DS to help strengthen the caul(amniotic sac) to try to prevent waters breaking befor labor. I'd say it worked because the midwife broke my waters per my request when I started pushing as I wasn't making progress with them in tact, and I wanted to be done. 

Sorry for the book. TLDR;
    DD1 and 2 born with waters broken before contractions, DD2 taking longest, DS great labor and delivery. 

Also so have to add Birth Without Fear is one of my favorite sites to read birth stories. 

Met DH 2008-engaged 8/10/2011-married 7/21/12 
                                              DD1 born on her due date 05/01/2012 7lbs12oz and 19 3/4 inches long
                                                     DD2 born 12/07/2013 @ 39w6d 8lbs15oz 20 3/4 inches long
                                                          #3 EDD 09/27/2015 ~ we are going for a HOME birth!

• @mrsmatt1212 my first contractions weren't until around ten that night so seven hours total. the real contractions started around 1:30am on our way to the center.  around 7pm i just didn't feel right and was so uncomfortable couldn't sit down in the car my tailbone was killing me so i knew something was up lol 
  • @homemakermama omg those birth stories are crazy! Why did they break your water with the first two?! Also, I do nooootttt understand why OBs are so quick with the episiotomy. Thankfully it's becoming less and less routine since studies have shown that they're not helpful and usually result in tearing anyway, at which point it's usually a bad tear (I've heard it likened to trying to rip a sheet--it's hard to rip, but if you cut a slit into it it's easy to rip right down the middle!)
  • How far along are you? 19 weeks

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)? I'm undecided at this point, but the hospital I'm at has a birth center on campus where they offer unmedicated birth, but have some things I'm interested in like water birth and nitrous oxide. 

FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before? FTM

I'm strongly considering it since I've heard too many "I got induced and then labor turned into a multi-day ordeal" stories. I'd prefer the least amount of medical interventions as possible. I think I'll have to check out all the book recommendations so I can get more informed.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @homemakermama omg those birth stories are crazy! Why did they break your water with the first two?! Also, I do nooootttt understand why OBs are so quick with the episiotomy. Thankfully it's becoming less and less routine since studies have shown that they're not helpful and usually result in tearing anyway, at which point it's usually a bad tear (I've heard it likened to trying to rip a sheet--it's hard to rip, but if you cut a slit into it it's easy to rip right down the middle!)
    The OBs didn't break my waters for me it happened spontaneously, but before I was in active labor. With DS when I started pushing he wasn't coming down with my pushing so I opted for my midwife to break my waters so he could come out, I was just done by that point. 

As for my episiotomy, I didn't even know I was cut until AFTER DD1 was born, and it was my first time going to the restroom, then a nurse was helping me learn to care for my stitches( I knew I got stitched up obviously just didn't know the extent). That's been almost 5 years ago. The OB that I had then is since long gone from that practice and hospital. She was also just a resident at the time. (Not that it's an excuse.) I asked her before I was discharged why she needed to cut me and her answer was "well since baby was sunny side up we had to make the opening bigger." At the time I didn't even know that was load of BULL SNOT. DD was sunny side up, but was progressing well and I likely would have had way less of a recovery letting her come out on her own.

• @homemakermama honestly I wish ALL OBs had to witness an unmedicated birth in med school so they can see that our bodies *usually* know what to do and are totally equipped to handle it. That makes me so sad!
  • @mrsmatt1212 my DD1s birth was the reason I did a lot of research and preparing with 2 and decided ultimately I wanted a better birth for my babies and myself. DD1s birth didn't bother me as much as DD2, and being on pitocin for so long ( I felt like my body failed me and baby for not starting labor on my own) I hemmoraged after and my OB then said there is no way to for sure if it's why. I wish I had just had DD2 checked out and refused pitocin. But they scared me into getting her out "sooner" because of risks or infections and things...Also doctors/hospitals have a way of making you fell like you have no choice. All I can do is look forward from those births and be thankful that myself and my babies are healthy. I am also thankful that I have been able to heal from their births emotionaly. A lot of healing came from my sons amazing birth. 

• So glad you had a healing experience! I know you are not alone in your feelings. I've heard many other mamas say the same things. @homemakermama
  • Agree with @lyndshurt, @homemakermama!!

@shyviolet 100% recommend a doula for anyone delivering in a hospital!! Gah they are your voice of reason! 
  • How far along are you?
    18 weeks

Home birth 

STM, i had an unmedicated hospital birth for my first

I feel that hospital birthing is not necessary (if you are low risk that is) and i feel that the place where a mother is the most comfortable is where the birth of her baby will be the easiest for her. For me that place is at home. I am not doing any planning, my mw will bring everything we need with her. My first labour was only 4 hours and i didnt use anything like music, tub etc, so happy to play by ear again. Will practice my hibnobirthing breathing!
  • @lyndshurt thank you! It makes me so happy to hear others healing experiences, knowing how hard it can be emotionally to "morn" the birth you picture. Especially having been there myself and having that I am so much more confident in my bodies abilities. I also love to hear that births go the way the mama expected. 

• I'm 18 weeks along with my second baby. My first was a home birth and this one will hopefully be too! There's a lot of reasons why I chose to have my babies at home, but the bottom line is I want my baby's real first birthday to be as joyful as possible, and that made home seem a better option for our family. :)
  • mrsmatt1212 @LivLew thanks for the encouragement! We watched Biz of being Born together about 2 days after BFP, so it was slightly horrifying to both of us. He's never seen a birth besides in Hollywood movies so he was more in shock the whole time. He's also the type of person that wants to hear both sides of the story before making up his mind. He's told me since it's my body he will support whatever I want, but he's also reminding me that if I can't handle a belly ache from morning sickness how am I going to handle birth without help. I've been reading him segments of my books that are interesting like about the science behind how Pitocin actually slows labor, but I'll be lucky if he gets through his 1 dad book in the next 20 weeks lol

At this point, I am way more nervous and terrified of breastfeeding than I am of birthing unmedicated. I can read about episiotomies all day long but as soon as I read "cracked nipple" I gag and feel nauseous and have to stop reading. lmao

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @budzynb Not all mamas who breastfeed experience cracked nipples. I had positive breastfeeding experience with all three of my kiddos. My DD1 was difficult at first, but that's just the learning curve in the first few weeks. I think most everyone goes threw it. Just remember to let you nipples air dry after nursing and then apply the nipple cream of your choice. Also if your feeling sharp pain when LO nurses you can seek the help of a LC to help, pain can mean your having latch troubles. I just wanted you to know there is hope for your nipples! 

• @budzynb literally SO terrified of breastfeeding!!