July 2016 Moms

The Great Big Book Thread

Ask for recommendations and share what you're reading, by yourself or to baby!

Re: The Great Big Book Thread

• We (mostly DH and I) have been loving books by Andrea Beaty. DH has his masters in architectural engineering, so I like to find books that have to do with his job. We have Iggy Peck, Architect, Rosie Revere, Engineer, and Ada Twist, Scientist. They are super cute with great storylines. My feminist heart also loves that the engineer and scientist are little girls. We also love Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherry Rinker. I wonder if there is a book out there about a makeup artist? Haha 
  • Thank you. Darn bump and it's hatred of the app :neutral:
  • Loading the player...
  • Our favorite right now is  Giraffes Can't Dance. So cute. Beautifully illustrated. And a great message about finding beauty in everything. 
  • I just finished "the things we keep" by Kerry Lonsdale. If you're looking for a quick read, this is it. I managed to get thru it in a day and a half (nap time and two long bedtime feedings) 
  • arhodes6arhodes6 member
    edited January 2017
    I love this thread! I am in constant need for book recommendations. 

My favorite books for me last year: 
    The Night Circus 
    Cormoran Strike Series by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) 
    How to be single 
    Me before you 
    Anything by Liane Moriarty - my fav is Big Little Lies 
    Bossy pants by Tina Fey 

My fav for LO: 
    Little Blue Truck 
    The giving Tree 
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom 
    Big Al 
    I also love reading some of the poems out of Where the sidewalk ends and A light in the attic 
  • I just started The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin and I love it already!!!!!

For baby- Little Blue Truck, Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See, and any soft crinkly book. He is super into those
  • For adults: anything by Liane Moriarty!

For the babes: I usually do Dr. Seuss and Sandra Boynton
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• For adults:
    Currently reading In Cold Blood
    Dark Places
    Sharp Objects
    Any of the Jojo Moyes novels

Babies:
    Dr. Seuss (Green Eggs and Ham or Oh the places you'll go)
    Hippos Go Bezerk
    Madeline

• I love reading... but in the last year I really haven't read much for myself.  So I'll have to take up some of your suggestions (Good thread idea!) 

For my LO's 
    I agree with pp's: 
    Little Blue truck (we like the farm one WAY more than the city one) 
    Giraffes can't dance (SO SWEET) 
    Pat the bunny.
    And I love all the How Do Dinosaurs books
    Our Favorite How do Dinosaurs Eat All Their Food (this is particularly nice for my 2 year old :) )  
    Oh and Llama Llama books. Our favorite is Llama Llama Red Pajama 

Anniversary: 10/10/09
    DS: 11/21/14
    DD: 7/5/16

• Some Books I read to Camille:

Guess how much I love you
    tale of peter rabbit
    the very hungry caterpillar 
    goodnight moon 
    corduroy 
    baby Einstein series 
  • The Giving Tree- Shel Silverstein
    Love you Forever- Robert Munsch (got this from a friend and balled my eyes out but a great LO read nonetheless)

jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    edited January 2017
    Love the song from I Love you forever, but the book itself is kinda creepy IMO. Maybe I should save this as my next U/O. 
  • arhodes6arhodes6 member
    edited January 2017
    @FTM53 when I read it the first and only time, I was cracking up because it is creepy, but I totally pictured myself putting a ladder on the roof of my car to go sneak into my kids room when he's 30 and couldn't stop laughing. Then I ugly cried. It was a mess of emotions of me lol 
  • @schaze out of curiosity I looked it up...

:-(
  • The meaning behind it IS super sweet and a tear-jerker. Makes my heart break thinking about it. 
  • Currently reading:
    Small great things by Jody Picoult

It's fantastic so far. I'm about half way done. There have been times that the subject matter made me uncomfortable but I keep reminding myself it's fiction (hopefully). 
  • I also like Brown bear, brown bear and giraffes can't dance.
    For bedtime, our book is Good morning, good night - it goes through a bunch of animals and has "fur" to touch for each one. 
    I also like "I love you stinky face" and any of the cardboard books by Sandra boynton.

for me, I just read The Invention of Wings, which I enjoyed - a historical fiction about two actual women suffragists in the south.
  • I just read The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure for a book club I joined. I wouldn't have chosen it myself, but it turned out to be a real page turner! It's kind of grusome at points but still a good read. 

We were gifted The Book With No Pictures by BJ Novak (Ryan from The Office) for Q and I can't wait to read it to him when he's older! It's too funny. I was having a little too much fun with it!! 
  • If anyone needs help with sleep I once again read "Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight" book. It helped with DD1 and is now helping with DD2. 
  • @holly142 just ordered it on amazon for 29 cents! (plus shipping)
  • Magnolia Story (Chip and Jo from Fixer Upper) just showed up at my house! I'm excited to dive in tonight. 
  • I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo. It is actually super easy to read. I just finished Girl on the Train and China Dolls. 

Next up is Pachinko! 
  • Currently reading Anna Kendrick's Scrappy Little Nobody. I love this girl.
  • Just finished In Cold Blood and now starting a biography on Trump, next up is The Girl you Left Behind
  • Baby S LOVES any popup books.  She has the Peek-a-boo Sophie one and is obsessed.  I just ordered some more from Amazon.
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    Question about your LOs and books. Do your LOs listen to read? AJ seems more interested in holding the books and chewing on them. He'll turn the pages too, but doesn't really seem interested in the stories.  :(
  • TiffRox81TiffRox81 member
    edited March 2017
    Ahhh!!! Tried to read I'll Love You Forever to L when I was home one afternoon on maternity leave. Um yeah. It hasn't been opened since. I wasn't sure me crying like a babbling baby was a good tone for reading time, lol. And yes, it was largely because I knew the meaning. I think I would have laughed at the book otherwise! 

Personally, I just finished Girl on a Train. Started it last summer...somehow time has just gotten away from me. Wonder why?! Lol I do love reading and I'm ready to get back into it each night. A coworker just gave me My Husband's Wife. Thriller/twist kinda book. LOVE Gillian Flynn and want to read her others. I did read Gone Girl.  
  • @FTM53- prior to being mobile I felt like she listened and was more patient with reading...now unless it is EXTREMELY interesting she would rather be moving.  I figure it is cyclical and when she has greater comprehension we will do more actual reading. I figure she is working on her motor skills by turning pages.
  • Yea my baby puts all books straight in the mouth.  Sometimes he'll look at a page momentarily but it doesn't last.
  • @FTM53 Sometimes he listens, especially when DH reads because he has such a loud voice lol. He loves this cardboard touch and feel book we have and will feel all the textures. I don't really read that one, I mostly just repeat what the animal is that he's 'petting' as we go through the book. He grabs the pages of whatever book we read though, even when he does seem to sort of listen! We just read anyways!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @FTM53 I have one of each. B is super into books and listens intently. R would rather swat the pages and chew on the book. 
  • This is one of our current favorites at the moment, she loves to flip the flaps- https://www.amazon.com/Pop-up-Peekaboo-Woof-DK-Publishing/dp/1465409297

• I just finished "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah and I loved it! I highly recommend it. It takes place during World War 2 in France. It's about 2 sisters. 
  • @holly142 that's on my to-read list!

Has anyone heard of Hello! Highlights magazine? My mom got E a free trial of it so we got 3 issues, but they are awesome. The pages aren't paper and can be easily chewed on, which E loves, plus there are some cute poems and songs in each. We keep them in the diaper bag to keep her busy if we're out and about.