July 2017 Moms

March Mental Health Check-In

So I'm thinking about switching up the format of this thread.  It doesn't seem to get much traction weekly, but I think it's important to have around.  So maybe a monthly thread will work?  Also maybe it would help to have more structure to encourage more people to participate?  Just throwing ideas out there.

How are you feeling?

Are you currently seeking treatment?

What's something you are looking forward to?

GTKY: What's your favorite work out (if you have one)?
Me: 31 DH: 31
  <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
CP 3/2019

Re: March Mental Health Check-In

• @SpongeWorthy hi appreciate this post.
    Feeling overwhelmed and down. Work is intense and my counterpart who also leads our dept with me just went on her maternity leave for 12 weeks. I've been depressed on and off for my of my pregnancy  (just now admitting) which has been very hard to come to terms with because I was so expecting this to be joyous or happy and it's been...not what I expected. Ive had alot of guilt and shame in a way for feeling not really enjoying this. 
    I have had constant migraines and I feel discouraged about it interrupting my days so I think that has been contributing to general stress, Along with major changes at work. I am finally going to communicate these feelings to my doc tomorrow at the encouragement of DH and family. Might be correlated? 

Looking forward to the weekend! Might treat myself to a pedicure.

Fav workout: running, but ouch I think I'm done with that for the rest of pregnancy. Yesterday's run left ne sore in places I don't care to be that sore in, LOL!
  • i came here to look for this post, actually - i'm going through some weird thoughts about how uncomfortable i feel being seen as a pregnant woman like i'm not committed to work or i'm just a matronly older person or something. i feel so big. i had grand ambitions of working out throughout my pregnancy but work is just taking over everything. 

How are you feeling?
    oops see above 

i think i need to look for another therapist (i had two sessions with one a few months before i got pregnant but didn't jive with her) 

meet this baby and just know things will be okay 

i love running but it's so painful right now. i'm only halfway there and feel like my back is already sore - i think my split abs really makes it harder this time! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @SpongeWorthy hi appreciate this post.
    Feeling overwhelmed and down. Work is intense and my counterpart who also leads our dept with me just went on her maternity leave for 12 weeks. I've been depressed on and off for my of my pregnancy  (just now admitting) which has been very hard to come to terms with because I was so expecting this to be joyous or happy and it's been...not what I expected. Ive had alot of guilt and shame in a way for feeling not really enjoying this. 
    I have had constant migraines and I feel discouraged about it interrupting my days so I think that has been contributing to general stress, Along with major changes at work. I am finally going to communicate these feelings to my doc tomorrow at the encouragement of DH and family. Might be correlated? 

Looking forward to the weekend! Might treat myself to a pedicure.

Fav workout: running, but ouch I think I'm done with that for the rest of pregnancy. Yesterday's run left ne sore in places I don't care to be that sore in, LOL!
    i feel you on the work stress, the running, and i think i'm definitely going to get a pedicure this weekend! 
  • @Knottie1444251135 I have been there in my previous pregnancy (2010). I was depresssed and really tried to shake it throughout my pregnancy. I believe I started off with anxiety, then came agoraphobia and finally depression. I see this now in hindsight after several years of therapy and meds. Close family and friends began to see how much I was changing. These feelings happen and it can make you feel like you aren't happy about your pregnancy when you are. The guilt sets in because of it. I'm glad you're seeking help and DH is being supportive. Had it not been for my DH's support I would have not made it to where I am now. You are not alone in your feelings and it's ok to be saddened by the fact that things aren't going as planned. I hope you find a great therapist who can help you. We are here for you too when you need to talk. 
  • @Poppyseed72017 thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm glad to see you are doing well now. I appreciate the encouragement. :smile:
  • How are you feeling?  I echo @satsumasandlemons.  I've had a few hard weeks re perceived commitment at work.  One of my superiors said to me that the best way to demonstrate commitment is just to be committed when commitment is needed.  That's good advice ... but lately I've been feeling under the microscope despite putting in more time and effort than I did when I wasn't pregnant.  It's a slog.

Seeking treatment?  No, but I probably should be.  

Looking forward to?  Southern Charm coming back to Bravo!  In the darkest of times, Bravo reality tv has helped me through.  

Workout?  Just walking these days.  Prenatal yoga was not my thing at all.

• How are you feeling? Okay I guess. Ive been sick this entire pregnancy with random ailments so it definitely makes it hard.

Are you currently seeking treatment? I am. After having a long discussion with my Dr I finally started taking my anxiety medication again. We weaned me off of it about 4 weeks ago but I was severely struggling. Ive just been so worried about the withdrawls this baby may go after he is born that I wanted to stop taking it but my Dr put it in terms that made me feel a little more at ease. He applauded me for wanting to get off of it but doesn't think Im ready yet and he said a crybaby is better than a sad and angry mommy. Babies are going to cry. Which I agree. My husband and I are fully prepared to have a more difficult newborn, if thats what happens. But then of course I also feel more guilty for being selfish. The post partum anxiety I had after my son was born was so bad that I could not get myself out of the house and I just wanted to lock myself in a closet. 

What's something you are looking forward to? My mom and I have our annual Mothers day beach trip scheduled and we both could use some time away. Just my mom and I and my kiddos go for a week. Its always a nice trip and I love being able to do that for my mom since she does so much for us.

GTKY: What's your favorite work out (if you have one)? I have been slacking this pregnancy but I used to really jusy enjoy doing workout videos at home or taking the occasional spin class. Working out has always made me feel a lot better.
  • @SpongeWorthy I agree, its really important to have this thread even though it's not super active. I actually tried to structure it one week, but you did WAY better than me. So thank you :) 

How are you feeling? Eh. Not great. I was doing a lot better, but then I had a week of just really hard depression, and then this last week since Thursday I've been having panic attacks, which I actually mostly haven't had this pregnancy, although they aren't uncommon for me generally. But Thursday to Saturday was really rough, and I think I had 5 or 6 panic attacks in 48 hours? It was hard, especially since these were un-triggered ones. I've been better since then though, and today I actually feel pretty good, minus some doctor appointment anxiety. Nothing is wrong, I just always get nervous going to the doctor. It doesn't help that I have to drive 2 hours to get there, and I normally start feeling anxious about an hour before I have to leave. I'm also dealing with feeling like my SMIL is trying to make this whole baby thing all about her (in fairness she makes everything all about her). She never had children of her own, and I'm overly sensitive thanks to being pregnant. She's done and said a lot of things with the baby shower that make me feel like she doesn't even really care or recognize that it's for me, and it's gotten me extremely upset, and I have no idea what to do about it. 

Are you currently seeking treatment? No. I did in high school and college, but I only ever had one therapist that helped. She moved on after my first year of college, and I continued to go to the center, but I hated the therapist I ended up with, so I didn't continue, and I haven't really been in any kind of treatment since then (so 3 or 4 years?). I generally can handle things pretty well, but pregnancy has sort of thrown things for a loop, especially because I'm just home now, and have no projects or jobs or anything else to keep me busy, so I slip really easily into a watch TV and bump all day slump. My husband is an amazing support though, which I am forever grateful for. 

What's something you are looking forward to? Lol meeting my baby! And I'm finally hitting 24 weeks tomorrow, which is great for me and my PGAL brain. I'm also looking forward to hitting 27 weeks. But I need something to focus on, because right now everything we have to do involving other people and parties is just upsetting me, or I'm dreading. I'm thinking about making my own Boppy, so that will keep me busy at least for a day or two. 

GTKY: What's your favorite work out (if you have one)? Fav? Running. But I haven't been able to do that since getting pregnant. So I've been taking walks on days where it's actually warm enough to do so. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • How are you feeling? A little better. Now that I'm approaching 24 weeks, I feel a little more at ease, but I still worry a lot. Every ache I think is pre-term labor and every time I go to the bathroom I worry that I'll find blood. I don't know why I'm so scared, but I'm trying my best to get through each day. Feeling the baby kick has made it a lot better, but I don't know if I'll truly feel better until he is in my arms.

Are you currently seeking treatment? I should technically be on Zoloft right now as per the recommendations of my OBGYN. I'm still really, really nervous to go on it and even though I have it in my possession, I haven't been brave enough to take it yet.

What's something you are looking forward to? I am really looking forward to reaching 24 weeks because of viability and because I will have another ultrasound to check on my low-lying placenta. I hope it shows a nice healthy baby and a placenta that has moved up! I'm also looking forward to decorating the nursery and receiving some of the baby clothes that my mom ordered for us. 

GTKY: What's your favorite work out (if you have one)? I used to love to run, but because of my SCH, low-lying placenta, etc., the MFM doctor told me to take it easy. I haven't really been working out, but I think I might start walking once the weather gets nicer.
    Me: 27   DH: 28
    Married: November 2015
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • clioclio member
    @SpongeWorthy thanks for posting this- I also get a lot from it.

How are you feeling?

Not the greatest these days. I haven't posted much on this thread because I have been managing my anxiety well this pregnancy by staying on my meds and keeping a steady routine. Last night DH told me that he hates his job- although this isn't the first time he brought it up, it totally stresses me out. The bigger issue is that he has no idea what he wants to do for a career, which makes it so hard to help him. Something about the pregnancy has also made me super nervous about our finances, perhaps to an unhealthy extent. We are doing fine and can easily pay our bills, but that would definitely change if he quit his job. Ugh.

As I mentioned, I have stayed on my meds, but therapy might be the next step if we can't resolve this on our own.

We are going on a beach vacation in Michigan this summer (baby will be around a month old). I. can't. wait.

When I'm not pregnant it's running outside, but lately I have been just walking at an incline on a treadmill.
  • How are you feeling?
    so far this pregnancy my anxiety has pretty much under control. I have my moments where I go into a depressive state. I luckily haven't stayed in that state for too long. I think the longest I've been in a depressive state was a week. Today has been a rough day with depression. I've been sick for a couple weeks and it's kept me home and indoors. If i don't socialize and get out of the house it becomes a big trigger for my depression and leads into my social anxiety when I re-engage in my normal routine. 

Currently I'm doing well. I've been off my meds for almost 2 years come July. If my depression sticks around and I can't shake it I will be calling my therapist. It helps a lot to recognize my triggers. 

I am looking forward to holding this sweet baby in my arms and finding out the sex when it's born. I'm also looking forward to wine
  • Dovahkiin_99Dovahkiin_99 member
    edited March 2017
    @MrsZeno You and I have a similar story. I was weaned off my SSRI's in December and I fully relapsed into depression, and the anxiety got to the point where it was effecting my job. I was a little reluctant to go back on my meds, but it's ultimately for the best because it's important for us to be healthy moms for our little ones. 

@Clio I'm the same way about finances. It's something that also stresses me out, despite the fact that we can easily pay our bills. 

How are you feeling? Mentally I'm feeling better! I had my appointment at the reproductive mental health clinic last week and they've put me back on my medication. The car accident I was in on Monday has me a little nervous on the road and there was a definite increase in my anxiety the next day at work. I also have whiplash and feeling aches and pains, but the doctor said that should go away soon. The insurance agency has been easy to deal with and the other driver already called them to say he was at fault, meaning that I don't have to pay for getting my car looked at or possibly fixed (if they find damage). The accident sucked, but I'm glad the bureaucracy of reporting it has been easy.

Are you currently seeking treatment? The Clinic referred me to a group for 'overcoming perinatal depression and anxiety cognitive-behaviour therapy group'. I'm going to take full advantage of it, and it'll be nice to connect with other moms-to-be in my area that are experiencing something similar. 

What's something you are looking forward to? I'm looking forward to nicer weather. I miss the sunshine so bad!

GTKY: What's your favorite work out (if you have one)? Zumba and weight lifting are my favourite exercises, but I'm more into swimming and aqua-size since it's easier on my body. 
  • Bumping for anyone who needs it this week
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • I'm not sure that this counts but ever since our BFP I'm even more scared about losing DH.  As if he wasn't important to me before ... One day I was sitting on the couch, looked at him and said, "Don't die on me kay?" And he goes, "I won't.  Why?  What happened?  Is that what you dreamt about?" (I had woken in the night with some pretty bad nightmares and had to cuddle up to him to fall back asleep)  I said no but that with her coming, I was more scared than ever to lose him.  He hugged me for a long few minutes after that.  I keep dreaming about him cheating on me and/or leaving me.  We have a wonderful relationship.  I trust him 100% so I don't know where this is coming from.  It's all just really unsettling.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie