July 2017 Moms

Postpartum birth control (temporary or permanent)

2»

Re: Postpartum birth control (temporary or permanent)

• I'm the odd duck here because I prefer condoms! Ugh, ttc was so messy - DH can do that cleanup himself!

FFFC- We went back to using condoms after getting pregnant!  :D
    Oh don't get me wrong, I love the ease of cleanup with condoms, but DH hates them. He gets all pissy. If he would be agreeable I'm 100% for them. 

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm the odd duck here because I prefer condoms! Ugh, ttc was so messy - DH can do that cleanup himself!

FFFC- We went back to using condoms after getting pregnant!  :D
    I completely agree!!

DH and I used condoms for the entirety of our 17 relationship, other than when we were TTC. After I get my tubal, we may go back to it still because it makes cleanup so much easier! DH says he doesn't mind at all, so we may use it, but only when/if he wants to. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We have used the pull and pray method successfully and when we are done having kids we are agreed that H will get a vasectomy.  A tubal is major surgery while a vasectomy is an in and out procedure with a very easy recovery so for us it was an easy decision.

• Lolll @GlitterFish i really hate condoms but really do love the no mess situation! 
  • @Dcwtada that's how we've envisioned it. My sister and I are 15 months apart and I can't imagine life without her - DH also has a brother within two years and they have a great relationship. Obviously no guarantee (and great relationships can happen at any age gap) but I think there's something nice about having a sibling RIGHT THERE going through the same life stages as you are. 
  • @munchkinsmama, hahahaha!! This has me rolling! My husband has volunteered to have a vasectomy when we're done. The allure is definitely the security paired with the ability to reverse it if necessary.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @GlitterFish lol you make a good point. I don't mind them, H doesn't say he does. We prefer without, but we've used them for 17 years except when pregnant so we can deal just fine for a while longer.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I never had to waddle to the bathroom with a tissue between my legs again it would be a good day....
    OMG I was really wondering if it was just me with all the condom hate!! hahahaha
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • oheliza44oheliza44 member
    edited March 2017
    If I never had to waddle to the bathroom with a tissue between my legs again it would be a good day....
    Almost spit out my coffee reading this. Hahah

ETA I loathe condoms. As if they don't suck already, I have a slight allergy to the spermicide and swell up SO bad. 
  • In the time that I've been on birth control (12 years or so?!) I've taken entire packs backwards accidentally, on way more than 1 occasion.  I never took my pills at the same time.  I never got pregnant.  Not once.  I had been on a lot of different kinds due to it totally messing with my sex drive.  It wasn't until I came off that I realized just how bad it was.  When we started getting ready for the TTC process and were just using condoms, we had sex literally all.the.time.  Even if I didn't particularly want sex, if DH did I was always game while before I would begrudgingly oblige and not really enjoy it.  I don't think I plan on going back on birth control knowing what it had done to me.  I'm not sure what the answer is but I'm done with chemical, hormonal etc. contraceptives.  Sure, I don't want to get pregnant again right away so I'll be extra careful that first year but after that I really don't care. We want more so it wouldn't be the worst thing.  

Once we're done procreating I just want to be finished with it all.  I know that having my tubes tied is more risky than him getting a vasectomy but I know he doesn't want one so I would probably just get the hysterectomy.  I really don't agree with making either party take the plunge if they don't want to.  I think something like that is a very personal, rather than a familial choice. (UO maybe?!)
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • @oheliza44 I have a slight allergy, or idk, vaginal aversion? to spermicide. Whenever we use it, I get super itchy. Idk if it throws my PH or if I'm straight up allergic but it sucks and it super irritating and uncomfortable. 

I'm so glad so many other people have issues with birth control... I kind of thought we were the only ones doing the "pull and pray". 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @stokesm21 I totally agree with all of that, esp not "making" or "asking" your partner to take the plunge. If he offers to do it fine, but I won't be bringing it up because I know it will pressurize him and that makes me sad. I opted for the pills because I had no idea how much I'd hate them and I really didn't want to conceive at that time... now however we both agree that pills are OuT unless needed for any medical reason...
  • XathXath member
    @stokesm21Tubal ligation and hysterectomy are different procedures.  Elective hysterectomies are becoming more common in the US but come with a suite of risks beyond those of a tubal.

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We are done having babies after this one but we have not decided yet which route we want to take so this thread has been great! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• After DD I had the mirena placed at 8weeks post partum. And I loved it. I didn't have a period, or spotting, or any issues. It's not as much hormones as a pill because it's delivered locally rather than orally, so supposed to give less symptoms than oral contraceptives. I did read that you're more likely to still have periods on the mirena if you are over weight- something about extra fat cells and estrogen (don't quote me on that, I can't remember when I read that or how reliable it is- but worth looking into if thats a concern for you). 

I think I'll get the mirena again after this baby, because I loved not having a period. But the ultimate goal is for DH to get a vasectomy. When we first broached the subject he was not into it at all. But after some time he mentioned it himself, and said it would be no big deal. We may do it this year since we'll have already hit the deductible and all that jazz. 

I only had the mirena removed because it expired. The office told me they would place a new one as they removed the old one... but the doctor took it out and THEN said he couldn't place one that day because they had to order it :| So then trying to get my schedule to line up with theirs, and then wanted it to be on the last day of my period.... and that's how we are expecting baby #2. 
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Xath said:
    @stokesm21Tubal ligation and hysterectomy are different procedures.  Elective hysterectomies are becoming more common in the US but come with a suite of risks beyond those of a tubal.

Thanks for that correction.  I am not getting my uterus removed haha!  Tube tying ... yes ... that.  Haha!  :P 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • @mrs.emmalouise OMG!  

This thread is good to get me in gear as my husband only wants us to have 2.  For sure we are not going for 3 under 3 - though I'm open to a third.  I guess I just don't want to close that door yet.  So in the interim, I will likely go back on the pill because that's what I'm used to.  Truth be told, I used nothing after my son was born - we were nursing and nookie time was scarce and we were crazy enough to think that two close together would be cute.  This time we will take measures. My husband has a close friend that had a vasectomy that resulted in loss of feeling in the penis so that is a hard NO.  He gets a panicked look in his face when the topic has come up.
  • I plan on doing the mini pill and using condoms while I'm nursing. But as soon as I can, ill be switching to Skyla. 
    Before our first I was on NuvaRing. I loved how easy it was but it wreaked havoc on my emotions. After DS, we started on Skyla. I loved it! I did gain weight but that was probably more on me than the birth control. It worked really well since it had less hormones than the other IUD's. 
  • I'm undecided as well on this topic. I have an 11 yo step son and a 10 month old DD so this little girl makes number three for us. I love my step son to pieces but would also like to try for a boy of my own as well. I got pregnant this time around at about 4 months pp so we definitely want to put a bigger gap between the next one. I definitely want at least one more but hubby would have about 10 kids if I agreed to it. 

As as far as temporary goes I am leaning towards the pill, as I already take daily medication for my thyroid it wouldn't be anything new. However I've heard of plenty of women getting pregnant on the pill as well so I'm undecided. As far as long term goes I will eventually be getting a tubal. My DH and I have talked about it and he's terrified of getting a vasectomy so I will be the one to bite the bullet so to speak.
  • BabyBump2BabyBump2 member
    edited March 2017
    My husband just recently got a vasectomy. We will have two girls and two boys come July so we are for sure done. 

I MIGHT get a tubal if I end up needing a c-section but I'm hoping against. 

It's a lot of work but I also timed my cycles for quite a while, so I knew the times I was ovulating so we were extremely careful about the timing. Like I said it's a lot of work and a lot of money if you go the stick way. They also have these little kaleidoscope thingys that work good!

Just some things to think about..

ETA: I was also on the Depo when I was in Germany and I always advise against it. I would probably do an IUD if needed. I gained so much weight and was so moody on the Depo. 
  • theweeveetheweevee member
    edited March 2017
     I'm with @Potterphile.  

**Possible TGTP TW here.**  After NTNP for a good six months plus adventures in temping and charting while TGTP for several months after that, I'm seriously considering just temping and charting to prevent (or not prevent) number 2.  Given my age, I'm not all that inclined to go on BC again given all the time that passed before joining this board.  Is this naive? Did anyone with two have a significantly easier time of TGTP the second time around?  **End possible TW**

• @theweevee, my husband and I went this route after #1. However, and this was relevant to us, my husband was deploying for 6 months when our son was son was 5 and a half months old (so six months of abstinence), I have a history of infertility (which both makes it hard to conceive and means I'm an expert at this point in charting and temping), and for the five months my husband was home before deploying, a month and a half of it, I couldn't have sex (postpartum healing, obviously) and breastfeeding did an awesome job at suppressing my cycle (period came back at 9 months postpartum, I weaned cold turkey at 8).

All of that aside, I got pregnant with twins a month and a half after my husband got home, so take that with a grain of salt, haha. We were trying, since we wanted the kiddos spaced about two years apart, which is about what we'll end up with (21 months), but it happened a lot quicker than we were anticipating.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @theweevee I don't have a personal experience, but it is my understanding that many people find that they get pregnant easier the second time. I'm not sure how true this is scientifically, but I've noticed that a lot of people have said that it is.
  • TW

I found it a lot easier to get pregnant the second time around. I don't know if it was dumb luck or knowledge of what I was doing with timing ovulation. Obviously having sex during ovulation doesn't mean you'll get pregnant but I've heard it's easier the subsequent times as well. One of my coworkers literally didn't ovulate and had to do a shit ton of fertility treatments to get pregnant the first time, and having a baby changed her whole hormonal dynamic and she get pregnant unintentionally soon after the first was born without treatments because it unknowingly made her ovulate. 

TW. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.