June 2017 Moms

Birth control after baby

erinh84erinh84 member
edited March 2017 in June 2017 Moms
I thought it might be a good idea to open up a discussion about birth control after we have our LO's, since June is getting pretty close. I did a search and didn't see another thread on this topic. Anyway, have you researched options? What works or has worked for you?

This LO is the product of a failed IUD(Liletta), so DH and I are seriously considering a tubal ligation(aka getting my tubes tied). I've been researching it like crazy lately. I have to fill out the paperwork at my next OB appointment. I'm really sensitive to hormones, so the next best thing for me would be a copper iud, which now I have no trust in. The only thing that scares me about getting my tubes tied is the risk of ectopic pregnancy. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that we would have to pay 100% out of pocket, DH would be getting a vasectomy.

To those of you also in the middle of researching birth control options, best of luck to you. I know how stressful and time consuming it can be.

edit:spelling 

Re: Birth control after baby

• DH is getting a vasectomy. It seems the safest route for us. I am sick of taking hormones and we feel that we are done having kids (this will be number 2).  I did researched into the "cancer" worry with vasectomies and it seems to be largely debunked. We will, of course, ask the doctor for more info.  Until he gets his vasectomy, we will use condoms, which I am not a fan of, but I am so over extra hormones.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• I had some pretty aversive side effects to the Mirena I had put in after I got divorced.  Had that taken out last February, and 8 months later...bam, pregnant.  I can't even remember to take my prenatals every day, so I do not trust myself to take the pill every day.  I'm pretty sure DH is 100% done after this one (he wasn't 100% sure he wanted another to begin with), so he will most likely be getting a vasectomy after this baby comes.  Until that happens, I'm guessing it will be condoms, although we were terrible about using them before (hence this pregnancy), so I don't really know.  We haven't really talked about it.

I guess the copper IUD could be an option, I haven't thought about it.  I just had such a negative experience with mirena, I'm wary of all IUDs.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @kahlan82 I feel you on the hormones. It's the second main reason why I'm 80-ish% sold on getting a tubal ligation, the first main reason being we are done having kids. This will also be our second. I wish a vesectomy was an option for us right now. I honestly had no clue a lot of insurance companies don't cover it. Getting my tubes tied is 100% covered by insurance.
  • Going with the pull out method until we try for #2. Then we are thinking vasectomy for DH after that. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I plan to try an IUD but I'm not sure which one as I've heard such negative things about them. I can't rely on taking pills and the patch (which I was on before) could impact breastfeeding so I'm not willing to risk it. I'm over taking hormones so I'm leaning most towards the copper IUD but I genuinely don't know. If LO gets here and we realize we are truly one and done (I feel like that can't really be called until we become parents but it's how we feel now) then DH will get snipped. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @awillis13 I am also wary of all iuds now since getting pregnant with one. I know the copper iud is completely different than the hormone releasing one I was on, but it still freaks me out now.
  • DH is planning on getting a  vasectomy. I will probably end up on birth control either way though. I have horrible periods that are every 18 days for 10 days. It is too much for my body and before the pill I ended with uterine tears because my lining could not keep up. They held off for 2 months with DD, but sometimes with pregnancy your body changes so I am holding out hope.

• KB00KB00 member
    I'm getting a tubal ligation. We decided a family of four is perfect for us and since I'm having a repeat-section, it just makes sense. I've asked my doctor about it and he said that the recovery does not change with the tubal ligation so I was so relieved to hear that. A teeny tiny part of me dislikes how permanent it is but the very large rational part of my brain knows I am very happy with my two boys and do not want anymore kids. 

(Side note: it is really starting to get on my nerves when people try to talk me out of getting my tubes tied because "I should try for a girl!" Ugh! It's getting harder and harder to hold my tongue when I hear that.) 
  • @erinh84. Ugg, we are lucky that DH's insurance covers it. After 20 years of BC/implants/IUDs falling out and two rounds of fertility treatments, I told DH it was his turn. Luckily, he had no issue with it because I wouldn't have felt comfortable "forcing" him.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• mrtmrt member
    edited March 2017
    Weird that some insurance plans would cover one but not the other. Both vasectomy and and tubal ligation are covered the same on our plan, we would have to pay up to the deductible, but we're meeting that this year anyway with having a baby.

Since I'm not planning on a C-section, my husband has his appointment scheduled already.
  • Dh will get a vasectomy when we are sure we are done having kids, but we want to at least give it a couple years after this one to see how we feel. I could see us having one or even two more potentially. We have had success in the past with me tracking my cycle and using condoms when i am fertile, so we'll probably go back to that while I am breastfeeding (although that is the time when that method is least effective), and then I'll look into iuds when i wean this baby. I'm pretty uncomfortable with taking hormones, so I would probably do a copper one, but I haven't researched it yet. My ob practice is part of Catholic Health, so I guess I would have to find another doctor to get an iud. Annoying.
  • If you're practiced in temping, keeping on that will help for a little while to avoid more fertile times, though I know that temping will not really be in a pattern for a while after baby is born. 
    Married 8/12
    MC 4/15
    BFP 10/10/16

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Hoping DH will take one for the team and get snipped, but he plays the he has a 'bad heart' card and it's too risky, so I'll probably go back on the pill until we figure it out.
  • mrtmrt member
    edited March 2017
    @ellie111227 are you not able to get any birth control from your ob,  or just not an IUD? Could you get a birth control pill prescription?
  • I will go back on the pill...I am sure anal about taking medication so I always remember (well that may change after the little one is here). I also have very tough and long periods and a very short cycle so I was bleeding 2 out of the four weeks of the month. I really liked my last pill cesanic I think is how it is spelled but it is the three month pill so only 4 periods a year. That's my plan until we are ready for number 2. 
    Me: 22 DH: 27
    BFP: 9/29 
  • c1tym0m22c1tym0m22 member
    edited March 2017
    I really need to figure this out. Was on the pill for years before DD, and then went with Mirena. Getting it out was a nightmare (ended up needing to be done in an OR under deep sedation - strings couldn't be found), so not enthusiastic about another one, and too old now for the pill (I think - I also realized after I went off it that it led to migraines). I'm 99.9% sure we're done after this baby, so need to chat with DH about the more permanent options.

Adding one last thought: I did like the Mirena while it was in. But clearly something about the strings and my body didn't agree (they had been too long, but retracted on their own), and risking that removal experience again just seems foolish. 
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • ashleyl31ashleyl31 member
    edited March 2017
    I had a positive IUD experience with Mirena. Had it put in 6 weeks postpartum. It was in for a little
    over 3 years before removed in June 2016. I was pregnant in October. I loved not having a period (sometimes had like 1-2 days of light bleeding). 

Also, I breastfed for over 2 years, and had no problems IUD related. 

We are done after number 2, so I want DH to get a vasectomy. I will probably get another IUD until that process is totally done, but not sure. I can't handle regular birth control. I know I would forget to take it. 

Married my best friend May 24, 2008
    BFP #1 9/1/11, EDD 5/15/12, Missed M/C at 9w4d, discovered at 11w3d, D&C 11/2/11
    BFP #2 6/20/12, Baby Boy born 3/2/13
    BFP #3 October 2016, EDD 6/11/17
  • huskermom14huskermom14 member
    edited March 2017
    I'll likely get the Skyla IUD again like I did after DS. I had a great experience with it. I got pregnant on the pill, know too many people with shot and patch babies, and have heard a lot of negative experiences from friends who tried the arm implant so I figure I might as well go with what has worked for me!

DH says we're done after this baby but I'm not willing to do anything permanent when we're still so young. 
  • I really need to look into this. We did not look into any BC options after DS because we wanted at least our first two close together in age. We weren't counting on just how close! By the time this LO arrives I will have been pregnant for 18 out of 23 months, and we have decided that I need a little break, haha. We definitely want more after this one, though, so no one is getting tied or snipped. I'm not super fond of the idea of anything only semi-permanent, either, as I'd likely only be on whatever form of BC for a year tops, and that seems like it would just be a pain to deal with. Not sure if there are any pill forms that are safe for BFing? 
  • We plan to go back to the diaphragm, which is what we were using before we decided to start having children. It's not ideal (it is annoying to put in), but I refuse to use hormonal birth control, the IUD is too expensive especially considering how short a time it would be used, and it's better than condoms.

I will need to get it prescribed again, but I already have one size larger because I was originally prescribed that size and purchased it but went back and got a smaller prescription because I felt it was too big. Hopefully, one of the two I have will fit, and then I won't have to buy another, but even if it doesn't, they're cheap to buy. 
  • I have no idea what I'm going to do. We may want to try for a third baby in a couple of years so I'm not looking for any permanent solutions, not that DH would ever be okay with a vasectomy or me getting my tubes tied anyway. Ever since DD1 was born I have been horrible about remembering to take any type of pill. I was planning to get Mirena, but after hearing so many horror stories about IUDs I'm second guessing it. I think I would be paranoid about getting pregnant, especially because I heard it can be very dangerous.  Condoms are out because they really irritate me down there. I guess pull out and pray?... although I've gotten pregnant that way so... I'll be stalking this thread for ideas. 
  • @mrt Nope, no "artificial" contraception because they are owned by a Catholic health system. They offer coaching on temping to achieve our avoid pregnancy, I think, but that's it. Unless something has changed since I last heard. I'll have to find another practice if i decide I want birth control.
  • @mrt Nope, no "artificial" contraception because they are owned by a Catholic health system. They offer coaching on temping to achieve our avoid pregnancy, I think, but that's it. Unless something has changed since I last heard. I'll have to find another practice if i decide I want birth control.
    Wow.  I've been complaining because I can't get a tubal because of the catholic hospital but sheesh I cant imagine a practice surviving with no BC options. 

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • @ladylolly89 The "mini pill" is supposed to work with breastfeeding as it doesn't have estrogen. 
  • meilay said:
    @ladylolly89 The "mini pill" is supposed to work with breastfeeding as it doesn't have estrogen. 
    I will have to see if there is a dissolvable option (as I can't swallow). I have my doubts. I was on Ministrin before trying for DS, but that has estrogen. There aren't many dissolvable or chewable forms of BC. :neutral: I'm sure my OB will bring it up at some point though!
  • My husband is pretty positive we will be done after this one.  I am on the fence so we will probably do condoms until we come to a decision together and if we decide to be done he will get a vasectomy. 
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• @jesselayne8 Yeah it is pretty crazy. Based on the waiting room, their patients are mostly either pregnant women or post-menopausal women.
  • I learned a lot about tracking ovulation while trying to get pregnant, so I'm sticking with natural family planning. Ideally, we'd like to try for #2 in the not so distant future, so I'd like to avoid the pill or IUDs.
  • Not saying this will be the experience for everyone, but I'm currently suing the makers of Depo-Provera for complications from the shot.
  • I was on the pill for about a decade with no issue when I switched brands and got pancreatitis. My doctor switched me to the mini-pill (no estrogen) but I got a reoccurence. This means I cannot use hormonal birth control in any form at all. After my son we used the pull out method bc we werent overly concerned about getting pregnant. This time the plan is to try the copper IUD. DH feels like 2 is enough but I am not commited yet. When we know for sure he will get a vasectomy.
  • Have had the Mirena twice now for 2.5 years each and love it! No issues inserting/removing and only marginally spotted. I'll probably do it again until I can get DH to quit being a big baby about the V.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My plan right now is to go on the mini pill and track ovulation. We will most likely decide to try for #3 about 2 years after this DD so I don't really want to do the IUD for that short amount of time, plus I think it might be partially to blame for my weight gain after DD. Whenever we decide we are done DH will get a vasectomy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My husband is getting the big V.  I hate hormonal BC- haven't been on any bc for a few years now.  I want something permanent.  I kept getting pregnant and having MC's so our plan was that he was going to get one anyway to avoid more MC's.  I think I'll have the dr talk to him about it at our next appt.  
  • The last hormonal BC I was on was the patch. I loved the ease of using it (swap your patch for a fresh one in a fresh spot once a week) but I had a pretty bad reaction and ended up with permanent scaring on my face. 
    Since then we've used fertility tracking/temping and condoms to get/prevent getting pregnant. 

I want to go back to being lazy so looks like this convo will be coming back up again soon...

• meilay said:
    @ladylolly89 The "mini pill" is supposed to work with breastfeeding as it doesn't have estrogen. 
    I will have to see if there is a dissolvable option (as I can't swallow). I have my doubts. I was on Ministrin before trying for DS, but that has estrogen. There aren't many dissolvable or chewable forms of BC. :neutral: I'm sure my OB will bring it up at some point though!
    I was on the mini pill years ago because my body does not like the hormones. The pill is Teeny tiny, like half a tic tac. I easily swallowed it and I couldn't swallow anything back then either. 
    You have to be super careful to take it at the same time everyday though. 

We have very little options, no iud because of my fibroids, no hormones because I'm sensitive and get morning sickness. Lol and then I'm allergic to latex so we have to buy the "special" condoms which we hate anyway. 
    We have always done pull out and cycle beads, or as my dh calls them "psycho beads" I don't recomend them because I doubt they work for the majority of people, but somehow they work for us, and we're very what ever happens, happens people anyway. 
  • @silliegirlie143 I'm sorry you had that reaction with the patch! I also loved it when I was on it but the way I reacted after going off to get pregnant made me seriously rethink ever being on hormonal BC ever again. I just haven't reconciled if I want to sacrifice my health for convenience again. While it was so easy and way more forgiving than the pill, I'm not convinced my weight gain, low libido, and emotional instability were all coincidence and had nothing to do with the BC. 
    @Stankonia2014 That really stinks! Good luck with the proceedings. I hope it's able to be resolved even though it won't undo your complications. 
  • DH will be getting a vasectomy pretty much within a month or two of the twins birth. I'm not going on hormonal birth control, I turn into a raging beast when I'm on it. I refuse to have my tubes tied, he can take this one for the team. I'm not down for 5 kids, so we will be using condoms until his 3 month recheck comes back with zero sperm count! 

A dear friend was surprised with baby #5 because her husband didn't get the check up after his.... I'm learning from their situation haha
  • Because I've had a DVT and PE, hormonal BC isn't a thing for me. We'll be going back to condoms until I am ready to try for another baby.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Dh is getting a V. I'm the mean wife who told him he doesn't have a choice. He can get it and have sex again or he can not get it and become very familiar with his hand. We were done after #2. But dh kept putting off getting it done, and I got an appointment to get birth control because I got annoyed that he was putting it off but.. well I'm here now. I'm obviously happy now that Josephine is joining our family but I'm done being pregnant and ready to move onto the next stage. 

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!