November 2017 Moms

FTM questions for STMs 3/11

Re: FTM questions for STMs 3/11

• BayCamp said:
    Never used lotion and got minimal stretch marks. I did get a wicked Linea negra that showed up at 11 weeks and took for-ev-er to go away. 

I hate belly bands and prefered full panel pants. I've lost 5 pounds since my BFP (thanks food aversions) and already can't button my pants at 7+4 so I'm already breaking in to my maternity pants. Might give the under belly ones a go again. 
    Same here. Busted out the maternity pants this week at 7 weeks. 
  • jka427jka427 member
    edited March 2017
    Not sure why I can't get rid the gray box...but anyway I much preferred looping a hair tie through my button hole and then around the button on my pants to extend my wearing of them. Super easy. :)

eta: spelling
  • Loading the player...
  • jka427 said:
    Not sure why I can't get rid the gray box...but anyway I much preferred looping a hair tie through my button hole and then around the button on my pants to extend my wearing of them. Super easy. :)

eta: spelling
    Yup! With a long tank under my shirt, it covered everything and didn't require as much readjusting as the belly band
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• ^^ that was my preference too, when I needed things covered.  A long tank top (I didn't own any so bought some nursing tanks which were nice and long and provided coverage so no belly peeked out.)  For me, this need didn't arise until my belly really started growing.
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Thoughts on traveling late in second trimester or early third? I know my family in upstate NY will want to do a shower up there for me and I need to be armed with dates to give them when I spill the beans in May, I also will have to work around work and DH traveling. So thoughts on a seven hr road trip late 2nd or early 3rd?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jess0211 said:
    Thoughts on traveling late in second trimester or early third? I know my family in upstate NY will want to do a shower up there for me and I need to be armed with dates to give them when I spill the beans in May, I also will have to work around work and DH traveling. So thoughts on a seven hr road trip late 2nd or early 3rd?
    It's safe, you just may not be very comfortable as it gets later into the 3rd tri.  I think most OB's don't recommend limiting travel until week 36ish for a normal healthy pregnancy. 

[spoiler]

• @jess0211 Did you change your pic? Cute kitty! I've heard it's safe to travel as normal until week 35 or 36. Just be aware it'll take longer since you'll need to take more pee breaks and breaks to stretch your legs!

• @jess0211 For a normal pregnancy, I think most OBs don't start limiting travel until 36-38 weeks, and even that is usually plane travel rather than car travel.  Out of an abundance of caution, I'd personally just make sure I know the hospital(s) near where I was travelling in the third tri, and ideally have an in-network hospital nearby.   I went to Hawaii at 35 weeks with my first, and everything was fine!  (originally planned at around 30-31 weeks but my H's deployment was delayed a bit and we had to reschedule).  

• @jess0211 - As others have said, it's totally fine. With my first, I traveled a ton for work (3-4 nights a week in a hotel and about as many plane flights) up until 35 weeks. I stayed within driving distance up until 38 weeks and then worked locally until my due date. It's not super comfortable, but it's safe.

• We took at 10hr road trip at 34 weeks last time. It was exhausting and numerous pee/walking breaks were needed. But doable. It was also really uncomfortable, just a heads up. 
  • @jess0211 I was just at the hematologist on Thursday and this is what she gave me. (I am at higher risk for clots due to a blood disorder, but you may not know you have an issue until something happens.)

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @NYTino24 thanks! That's helpful, we usually do the trip with only one stop but I will have to be sure we stop more so I can move around and for pre breaks as @baycamp suggested. 

Thank you ladies! So helpful! @adirat yes, I changed my pic to my other kitty. She was napping with me. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Breast pumps - what kind should I get? How do I know if it's covered by insurance? Does it come with everything I need or do I have to buy accessories? So not looking forward to pumping at work, wish I could stay with Baby for at least 6 months. Do I give breast milk to daycare? How long does it last?? So many questions. I won't be offended if you tell me to use the google instead of asking you STMs+

• @DuchessOfCambridge I've used ameda and medela and prefer medela. I have on in a backpack. You have to buy accessories separately. Yes you give milk to day care. Fresh lasts for 3 days in the fridge, frozen is used within 24 hours.
  • @DuchessOfCambridge talk to your insurance company about it. Mine gave me some websites that I could go through, where I then selected from a few options. Most people I know went with the Medela Pump in Style. 
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Also a Medela user. I've gotten two through insurance. I looked on the insurance site and it listed companies I could go through to have it covered. 

Www.kellymom.com can answer pretty much any breastfeeding question you might have 

• @DuchessOfCambridge use a fleece swaddle sack..those things are soooo warm and keep the swaddle tight.  My hospital actually gives you one after you deliver.  As far as recovery it totally depends on your delivery.  I was up and about the day after the hospital.  Walking, went out to eat, shopped a bit.  I had stitches but only took ibuprofen for pain.  My dr. Said to do whatever I could tolerate. Stairs were the only thing that were pretty painful for me.  Oo and peeing.  I think I cried everytime I peed for weeks 
  • @NYTino24 cocunut oil! I lathered 2x/day.  I do agree that stretch marks have a lot to do with genetics but I think it helped.  Also drinking TONS of water helps.  I was lucky to not get any the first time around..hoping I'm as lucky again!
  • Contact your insurance company for a pump. I know my insurance had me apply within a time frame on a specified website so I couldn't order it as early as I wanted. My insurance company also gave me a few options and I went with the Media Pump In Style. It fits in a backpack, but I just left mine at work and took it home on weekends. I took the bottles/nozzles home daily for cleaning. You'll want to change out the membranes on your machine often (every 6 weeks) so get some extra of those! Membranes sounds like a big word, but they're these small little flaps on the nozzle. Easy to change out and I just kept a pack in my pumping bag. 

Kellymom's milk storage guide: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/ 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @DuchessOfCambridge yes to the Medela as others have suggested and yes to a double electric pump if you are pumping at work (so much faster!). Also one of those weird looking bra things that will hold the cups to you while you pump I found to be very helpful at making better suction so I got more milk. My biggest advice for daycare is to freeze as much milk as possible on maternity leave. I traveled for 2 weeks during my maternity leave and it really affected how much milk I had stored up when I went back to work- won't be doing that again this time. Also, when you freeze milk do it in smal amounts (2oz vs making a 4 or 5 oz bag). state regulations at my daycare required them to toss any milk that they had defrosted that baby didn't end up drinking (which is way more cautious than I read we need to be or were at home). For us, that stuff was like gold so ever drop counted and hearing they were tossing some of it broke my heart! Pumping at work is a total pain but it's also a little nice to step away from your day and feel like you are doing something specifically for your baby.
  • I traveled a lot throughout my pregnancy (including a 4 day road trip at 30 weeks and a cross country flight at 34 weeks) and it was just fine. HOWEVER, I was getting ready to head out of town for a wedding 6 hours away at 35 weeks and told my doctor. He wanted to check me before I went to make sure I was still nowhere near labor. I had no symptoms at all, not even braxton hicks. Needless to say he told me I was dilated 2cm and that I should not travel just incase. I gave birth to my daughter that weekend. We will not be traveling after 30 weeks this time :smile:
  • Breast pumps - what kind should I get? How do I know if it's covered by insurance? Does it come with everything I need or do I have to buy accessories? So not looking forward to pumping at work, wish I could stay with Baby for at least 6 months. Do I give breast milk to daycare? How long does it last?? So many questions. I won't be offended if you tell me to use the google instead of asking you STMs+
    Talk to your HR or your insurer. It is actually required now as a part of ACA. 
    Mine had a supplier they used. I got to pick a Ameda or Medela. Mine came with the bag/accessories. For me the part that matters are battery and plug in features.

Yes you bottle your bottles for them. If you have a deep freezer it can last for months. There are good lactation websites on it.

For me I pumped and then took it already in bottles to the D.C. fridge when I picked up A. I could only pump 6 oz a day, so he did 2 BM and 2 formula bottles at DC. 

To make BM last longer don't warm it. If you do you have to throw it out within an hour. If not you can put it back as use it within the next 24 hours. 

Don't focus on BF. Everyone produces different amounts. Some can pump enough others do not. You may need formula and BM for daycare. You need to pump 9-12 oz (3oz a serving BM or 4oz a serving of formular) a day to cover daycare. Figure this out post baby and then see what works for you. All that matters is the baby eats. 
  • Thanks ladies! This has been super helpful. I'm definitely not looking forward to pumping but I'm hoping it is enough for LO for daycare so we don't have to supplement with formula but we'll take it as it comes. It seems like the Medela is the way to go

• @DuchessOfCambridge I vote medela, too. I have had two PumpInStyles -one in the back pack and one in the carrying bag. Both were great! With DD#1 she was young and I gave up way to soon and ended up pumping for 3 months. DS#2 was a great nurser and DS#3 was born at 26 weeks and I pumped for almost a year! It was no fun, but I believe it was crucial to his success as a micro preemie. 

Also, I recommend having a single manual pump for backup and for emergencies. I used Avent for this as those were the bottle I used and I could pump directly into those. It stayed in my diaper bag and saved the day several times!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • 2Dash2Dash member
    I also vote for HATING pumping and I always got more and faster with the super cheap manual pump so I'm just going to do that this time!  I had a medela with DS1 and for me it was terrible and left me in fits of crying multiple times.  The manual hand pump was easy, fast and could go anywhere - and didn't make a bunch of mechanical noise!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @2Dash why did it make you cry? I'm expecting pumping to be uncomfortable and annoying but I didn't realize it could be so upsetting!

• @DuchessOfCambridge pumping can be a total mind f*ck. Its hard to explain it any better than that lol
  • pawcallpawcall member
    edited March 2017
    One thing I did that helped was recording a sound clip of my son nursing.istening to that always helped me get things flowing while pumping. 

[spoiler]

• 2Dash2Dash member

@DuchessofCambridge - Yeah maybe I was sometimes a little hormonal and emotional... lol! But seriously it never worked that well.  Especially with a first baby your supply is usually lower so I  would pump for an hour and have barely half a bottle even though I knew the baby got way more than that when I breastfed. Also, I would pump when the baby was napping so I felt like when the baby was awake I was breast feeding and when the baby was asleep I was pumping and I never got a break.  I went on a vacation with DS1 and got a hand pump for convenience and I found it much faster and easier.  With DS2 I had second time mom milk supply and I could pump 2 bottles in 20 - 30 minutes (still used hand pump) so that was much better.

I would say overall new mom needs to give themselves a break on what they can do.  I had too high expectations on myself with DS1 and only time relaxed me.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @2Dash just to clarify, I was asking only out of curiousity as someone who has no experience, not judgement at all! That is a LOT of work you were doing, I have a feeling I'll be similar in expecting a lot from myself.

• AsivecAsivec member
    edited March 2017
    I was able to get a hand and regular breast pump that had compatible parts. Mine was a medela. Also, my insurance wouldnt let me order my pump until after I was out of the hospital so the hand pump was a life saver early on. 

Eta: it did feel like I was constantly breast feeding and sometimes the pediatricians can be hard on bfing infants and the way they gain weight. It is often different that ff and I felt pressure to supplement the entire time. It can be super stressful. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • To chime in on pumping: I used a combination of a Medela and a cheapie manual and got fairly even results from both.  I never really liked pumping much because it's tedious and boring, but it never really bothered me. I would pump in my car most of the time just so I could feel like I was multi-tasking. My job doesn't allow for pump breaks (legally yes they do, but feasibly I had no time) so I was only pumping on my way in and home and once a day other than that, and still managed to pump enough to keep up and stash a few extra ounces each day. It's easy to only hear the bad experiences because those resonate the loudest, so I wanted to throw in a positive one. 
  • pawcall said:
    One thing I did that helped was recording a sound clip of my son nursing.istening to that always helped me get things flowing while pumping. 
    Same! Or just looking at pictures/watching videos of my babies. I always pumped more and let down faster when I did that. 

• Like @BayCamp, though I dislike the act of pumping and cleaning all the pump parts (that's what I really hated), it was never a big deal for me. I work out of my car most days traveling around, so pumped to and from campus, plus a time or two during the day. Even with my first, I pumped a ton of milk and was able to create huge stashes (hundreds of ounces in my deep freeze). So, yes - it's definitely not all horror stories. It was easy for me, just a pain in the butt.

• I am seeing a lot of talk about genetic testing on other boards and admittedly I need to do more research into this. However can one of you laides give me some insight to what is common? What insurance typically covers? And what is specifically recommended for those of us considered AMA?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jess0211 Were you one of the people interested in Expecting Better? Most of what I know I learned from that book's excellent overview of options. I recommend that to help you make a decision.