March 2017 Moms

Length of hospital stay

For STMs and those who have already had their babies, how long did you stay in hospital for a basic delivery? Did you have any say in how long you were there? I was their for 3 nights with DD, 1 was during labor, and I'm debating if I should stay the same length or try to get out faster to be home with DD. Any input welcome. Thanks!

Re: Length of hospital stay

• Well, you have to be there at least 24 hours post delivery for newborn tests, so that usually means a second night.

I only stayed one night (labored from 11 until almost 6, went home the next eVening) and I regret not staying the extra night. I rushed time to DS but I should have rested.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was there 2 nights with mine. Their policy was 2 days after delivery. I gave birth Monday afternoon and we were out by Wednesday afternoon. 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was at the hospital got 4 nights including labour.  My son had a mild case of jaundice, so they put him in the light therapy bed. I was ready to go home at that point. This time I'm GBS positive so I anticipate being there for 2 so they can make sure the antibiotics have been sorted 
  • I had the baby on a Wednesday in the evening but ended up being discharged on Friday instead of leaving Thursday night (you have to stay 24 hours after delivery). My baby had jaundice so I ended up staying with her until she got discharged Saturday so they could keep checking her levels and I could feed her. 
  • Goodmorning12Goodmorning12 member
    edited March 2017
    Gave birth 9:28pm Saturday & left hospital Tuesday 1pm.  Vaginal birth - my hospital has a policy after 8pm is the next day (2 nights stay is the norm).
  • BurrberrymumBurrberrymum member
    edited March 2017
    I gave birth at 4:14 and left 3 hours later, I was getting into the car at 730. (No medical reasons to stay and I have a midwife that came to my house the following morning and every second day that week.) 

For DD1, I stayed the 24 hours and asked if I could stay an extra night until I got breastfeeding down pat. 
  • Vaginal delivery with DD - one night (24 hours). Vaginal delivery with DS - two nights (36ish hours).
  • with my first - 2 nights, with my second, asked to leave after 24 hours (baby was cleared to go then), but they made me stay to monitor my blood pressure. Without that complication I would have been able to leave at 24 hours (at my insistence), but I think standard is 2 days for vaginal. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD1-born at 2am so it didn't technically count as a night. Hospital policy was born after midnight and you were covered to stay two more nights. As a FTM I didnt really understand how long I needed to stay vs could stay and to just stayed as long as possible. 

This time I said it depended on time of day baby was born. So when she arrived at 5pm I decided I'd do the 24hrs. ((24hrs post birth they do a couple tests that they can't do before 24hrs have elapsed)) I was also told you can sign something and be discharged 8hrs (or so) post birth if you'd like to leave and just come back with baby for the tests. 

It was really nice to sleep in my own bed, and be home with DD1. But I probably should have stayed because by the time they did the 24hr test, waited to get the results, got through the discharge routine, etc: it was 8pm, I was exhausted and ready to go to back to sleep and somewhat regretted my request. 

so I'd say it absolutely depends entirely on time of birth. If it's later in the day, you feel fine and are thinking you're wanting to go home: Ask your nurse to be very honest about what time you should reasonably expect them to be able to get you out of the hospital.
  • With my first I had the baby on Wednesday night (9pm) and I got out Friday, but stayed at the hospital until Sunday with the baby because she was jaundice and needed to go under the lights for 2 more days. Typically I would have had to stay another night because I was on mag for pre-e, but the Dr was going to let me go the day earlier because I was doing well.
    This time, I delivered Friday and was ready to be discharged early Sunday, but they held the paperwork until they processed the babies discharge, because they discharge the infants at 48 hours. Depending on what time you have the baby pretty much determines if it is 2 nights, or you end up there a third night. 
  • With a c-section I was only there for 2 nights. I wanted to go home. 
  • I arrived at the hospital at 11pm on Tuesday night, got admitted at 1230am... delivered 214am... we were discharged 11am the following day. So from admission to discharge .... 34.5 hours!
  • Not a STM and I'm still pregnant, but we will have to stay 48 hours post delivery (GBS+, so they will want to monitor lo for that long).

I'm planning on soaking up all the lactation consultant support I can get in that 48 hours.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• DD1 - 36 hrs and had a ton of breastfeeding issues after discharge 
    DS1 - 3 nights including delivery because I wanted to make sure breastfeeding was going well 
    DD2 - we left before 24 hrs because we had a midwife who came to the house 
  • I delivered on a Thursday morning, natural birth, by Friday night I was ready to go home and Saturday morning when the nurse showed up I said I am getting discharged by dinner today either by you guys or AMA.  They had me out the door by 3 pm that day.
  • I delivered just before noon on a Thursday and left Friday around 3pm. I debated on staying the extra night, but I really wanted to be home for my oldest son and I also wanted to sleep in my own bed. I didn't regret leaving. 
  • Got to the hospital Wednesday at 11 am for scheduled induction, had a vaginal delivery and was discharged Friday at noon. 
  • @disneybaby84 I tried to leave AMA after 24 hours (DS had already been cleared to go, my dr went out of town and couldn't vouch for my bp issues that I monitor at home and the dr on call was not nice), but the nurse came in and warned me nothing from the entire hospital stay would be covered by insurance if I left. So I had to stay even though I felt great and wanted to get home to my DD! I now understand why people would rather go the midwife/home birth route.
  • FTM and still pregnant but our hospitals policy is 24-48 hrs after the time of delivery for a vaginal birth and 72 hrs after the time of delivery for a c section. They highly encourage their breast feeding moms to stay for at least 48 hrs to help with bf. I plan to stay for the 48 hrs to learn as much as I can about newborn care and bf. I love my hospital, nurses, and doctors so I'm looking forward to getting all the support I can those first couple days. Also they require we go back within the following 2 days for a check up on me and baby. 
  • I delivered at 5:30am on a Tuesday. I was discharged at 11am on Thursday. I was debating going home earlier but then I found out I was GBS positive (yeah.. at the hospital after the midwife told me I was negative) so I didn't get any antibiotics and had to stay the 48 hours after birth. 

Once I got home, the forever long hospital stay didn't seem that long but it felt so good to be home and get to sleep in my own bed. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• kap1988kap1988 member
    edited March 2017
    I delivered at 3:45 pm Saturday and went home around noon on Monday. They seemed to encourage me to stay two nights and I honestly would have stayed longer if it were an option. Having nurses at your beck and call all day and night is so helpful whether you just have questions or need them to take the baby for a couple hours so you can catch up on rest after delivery. Once you are home there's no going back.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With my first I stayed 2 nights I think. With my second I stayed 2 nights. With this 3rd baby, the birth center says you can leave 4 hours after the baby is born as long as everyone is ok. I'm GBS positive but a midwife will come to check on me 24 hours after I'm home. Then the birth assistant comes to check in me the next day and then a day or 2 after that.

• Thanks everyone! I'm torn between wanting to get back to DD asap and wanting to stay and take an extra night to rest. 
  • @Ivorytower2 Not sure how your DD sleeps.. but seriously I got so much more rest at home when they weren't coming in at all hours of the night doing all of the tests and screenings. 

Also.. I was so emotional about my toddler not being my baby anymore that I wanted to be able to scoop him up. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I had DD at 8:47am Saturday via CS & went Home Tuesday at 11.  Tried to get discharged early on Monday but the pediatrician wouldn't sign for her (OB was ok with me going) because of her weight loss & but of jaundice creeping up).
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• I had Isla just after midnight, and left the afternoon of the next day, so just over 36 hours. Honestly I would have liked to have stayed another night in hospital but the tiny hospital I have birth at had a full maternity section. It was cramped and uncomfortable.