July 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 3/20-3/24

What's going on this week? 

Re: Weekly Randoms 3/20-3/24

• Since we just moved we didn't realize we now need to spend money to have a French drain put in our pool..err backyard  :| the snow melted Wednesday and it's Monday and still this much water...always something 
  • Loading the player...
  • AdaByron said:
    I'm just over here trying to enjoy my last day before glucose test doomsday. 
    I'm super nervous and dreading that test! Good luck. I'm sure everything will turn out fine. 
  • Did anyone do or is planning on doing a sibling prep class? Our hospital offers several for different ages. The youngest is "Tiny Tots" ages 2-3 and they do a story time, practice how to hold a baby and "help" take care of the baby and take a trip to the mother-baby unit. 

I'm not expecting a lot but I thought maybe it would make her comfortable to see the hospital before hand and get some "practice" (we've already started with her baby doll at home). She won't be quite 2 so I'm wondering if she'll really even get anything out of it?
  • Am drinking the wonderful glucose concoction now. Blech!  Last time I had orange juice instead but I forgot to bring any with me.   I hate getting blood drawn - I always ask for a butterfly - here's to hoping they stick me once - cheers!
  • AdaByron said:
    I'm just over here trying to enjoy my last day before glucose test doomsday. 
    I'm super nervous and dreading that test! Good luck. I'm sure everything will turn out fine. 
    I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy, so I'm fully expecting to be diagnosed again. I wish they would just let me go straight to the 3 hour test so I don't have to do it twice. 
  • edited March 2017
    AdaByron said:
    I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy, so I'm fully expecting to be diagnosed again. I wish they would just let me go straight to the 3 hour test so I don't have to do it twice. 
    Did you ask? I am assuming you did, but I am surprised that if you were diagnosed the first pregnancy, they wouldn't let you skip the 1 hour. 
    Image result for how rude gif
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @AdaByron and @caribbeanmama I hope your tests go well and aren't too uncomfortable. @AdaByron if you do fail the 1 hour how soon after do they make you do the three hour?

Just out of curiosity did your OB tell you to fast beforehand? Mine told me to eat like I normally would prior to the test. I always thought it had to be a fasting test...?
  • @nktrodden826 house expenses that you don't expect at the worst! We rent out our home back in NC and the built in mircrowave broke and it's $300 I about choked on my drink when they said the cost to fix! 

My husband is out of town this week, he usually is gone quite a bit (Military) but I have been spoiled and he hasn't gone anywhere in 11 months so I forgot what it's like especially with two almost 3 year olds! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• @LuLiLaEv that sounds cool! I should see if our hospital offers anything like that! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• @LuLiLaEv I'm going to see if my hospital offers something like that.  Visiting the hospital ahead of time would indeed be helpful for my very sensitive and observant toddler.  I think I have been avoiding thinking too much about what this new baby will mean and look like for his little world.
  • oheliza44 said:
    @AdaByron and @caribbeanmama I hope your tests go well and aren't too uncomfortable. @AdaByron if you do fail the 1 hour how soon after do they make you do the three hour?

Just out of curiosity did your OB tell you to fast beforehand? Mine told me to eat like I normally would prior to the test. I always thought it had to be a fasting test...?
    Last time they called me the day after the test and asked me to schedule the 3-hour test that same week. Because after a diagnosis you have to take a class to learn how to use the meter and how to have a good diet, so they want to get that all done ASAP if you have it. 

My OB said I don't have to fast (my test isn't until 4pm) but that I might want to avoid anything very sugary for lunch.
  • I'm a dumbass and left a candle burning the WHOLE night. I can't believe I did that. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @AdaByron gotcha. Thanks for the info. 
  • @dancegurl1118 I have done that twice this pregnancy with the stove - leaving something to simmer and leaving the house or going to bed. One pot I pitched since it was ruined. I may never get the smell of burned black beans out of my nose. 
  • I'm a dumbass and left a candle burning the WHOLE night. I can't believe I did that. 
    One day a couple of weeks ago we left our garage door open the whole night. To make it extra embarrassing, our neighbor across the street is a former student of mine, and we're sort of new to the neighborhood so she didn't have my phone number. So she sent an email to my work email to let me know she noticed it was open around 10-11:00, but I didn't see it until the next morning.

... and then yesterday she had to bring our dog back because she had wandered all the way over to their back yard. She probably thinks we're the most irresponsible people on earth.
  • LuLiLaEv said:
    @nktrodden826 Ugh! Unexpected house expenses are the worst! I hate spending money on stuff like that. You have to do it, but it's not something you get to enjoy. (except I guess it's enjoyable to not have a "pool" in your backyard :D
    DH keeps teasing me saying we should keep it because he knows how swollen I'll be in the summer and I might want to use it. Ha  :|
  • @AdaByron @dancegurl1118 I might have you both beat...when DH and I still lived in the apartment, we once left our front door unlocked and ajar for the entire night. I say "we" loosely, I know it was DH who left it open because I was in bed when he got home, or else I would have noticed. This guy leaves doors, cabinets and drawers open left and right. We're lucky no intruders decided to come that night :cold_sweat:
  • @kat0607 - Our husbands seem to be identical. He can't close doors/cabinets/drawers to save his life. I wake up when he gets in bed at night (since the dogs jump on me when he comes to bed) and I always have to ask him if he locked the front door. More often than not, he'll leave to go see.
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • @star_beagle yes!! It's so aggravating! One morning I woke up and came downstairs, and both doors under the sink were wide open. Obviously we keep all of our cleaning supplies and chemicals under there...I might need to buy some of those baby-proofing things before this baby even starts to crawl, just for my own peace of mind! 
  • I have my glucose test next Thursday, and the nurse told me to fast. (It's at 9 am) I suppose I should double check that, as I don't remember fasting with either of my other ones. 

In other news, free ice cream cones at Dairy Queen today.  Stopping in there on my way to get DD1.

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
    2 Rainbow DDs L-10/26/10 and A-03/27/14
    2 Angels- 10/26/09 and 02/03/15
    Surprise BFP on 10/25/16!!! Baby Firecracker is due on 07/02/17! 
  • @kat0607 @star_beagle my husband belongs to this club as well.  He leaves everything open!  All the drawers - like 4 out of 6 in the dresser, he never puts the lid back on food packages and never twists lids back on!  What is this!  It literally drives me insane!

@kghusker1003 I didn't have any fasting instructions on mine but they did say that I should not have had caffeine within 24 hours - they say it will take longer for the drink to leave my system but does not affect the test result.

@oheliza44 thanks!  Just waiting on the results now.  I wasn't flagged last time but was a lot healthier at the beginning of that pregnancy than this one - still hadn't lost all the baby weight and not exercising.  I'm not sure how much those two factors influence the results (need to read up) but I'm guessing they don't help.  Hoping for good results for everyone!
  • I keep joking that between pregnancy brain (it's real IDC what the science people say) and my husband's medical memory issues, our 3 year-old has the best memory in the house.
  • TwinkiedollTwinkiedoll member
    edited March 2017
    @kghusker1003 I haven't done my test yet, but my doctor told me fasting isn't necessary.  He said just don't eat anything sugary.  He suggested eating eggs or other high protein food to not throw off the test.

ETA: My doctor also advised me that if I do eat, to lie about it when asked.  Just in case I get some crazy nurse who refuses to administer the test unless I fasted and sends me home without doing the test.
  • @kghusker1003 Same as most of the others.  My doc said to eat before if I wanted, but avoid sugary stuff and then not to eat anything while drinking or after until they drew my blood.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I ate a plate of bacon 2 hours before my one with DD and all was well. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    For those not looking fwd to that drink for glucose testing , you could also ask for jelly beans instead?.. maybe you could ask your doctor. My doctor offered that option to me aswell that's how I know.

EDIT: Jelly Beans!!! Although I do love jelly babies.  
  • My DH is usually pretty good at closing doors (except the shed, and he tends to leave his whole set of keys hanging from the lock...) but I cannot for the life of me understand how he forgets to flush the toilet so often. I get it sometimes, when he uses it just before showering and doesn't want to wait for the water temperature to regulate again, but it happens at other completely random times too. We always close the whole lid to the toilet so to me it's become one basic motion of flush-close which makes it even more baffling that he manages to close the lid without flushing somehow. 
  • @SpongeWorthy Those are gorgeous!!!  I really like them!  Way to go girl!

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BusyZee said:
    For those not looking fwd to that drink for glucose testing , you could also ask for jelly babies instead?.. maybe you could ask your doctor. My doctor offered that option to me aswell that's how I know. 
    What are jelly babies??
  • @SpongeWorthy those look almost too pretty to eat! ALMOST. ;)
  • I ate a plate of bacon 2 hours before my one with DD and all was well. 
    This might be the best idea ever. 

I've also heard to eat some egg whites cooked in EVOO.
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • @SpongeWorthy that sounds like a lot of work but those are beautiful!!!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• It won't let me tag everyone who tagged me, but the phone nurse at my OBs office did confirm that I am supposed to fast for at least 4 hours prior to my test.  I know that I cut it really close with DD2, the cut off was 140, mine was 137, so maybe that's why I'm fasting. 

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
    2 Rainbow DDs L-10/26/10 and A-03/27/14
    2 Angels- 10/26/09 and 02/03/15
    Surprise BFP on 10/25/16!!! Baby Firecracker is due on 07/02/17! 
  • @SpongeWorthy  So pretty! I'm impressed. 

Also, I'm amused that there are posts about ice cream and cookies in the midst of gestational diabetes posts :) (no judgment! I ate more than my fair share of birthday cake over the weekend)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @SpongeWorthy, I am so impressed!!! I need to try something like this!
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker