October 2017 Moms

*TW* Subchorionic Haemorrhage

I went for a re-scan today. While baby had a healthy HB of 159, has grown well since the 6 week scan and I am still on track with dates, they found a subchorionic haemorrhage. The sonographer wasn't too worried because it's not bigger than the gestational sac, but it sucks. There are obviously risks i.e. miscarriage if it gets bigger or doesn't go away. I was excited and didn't expect anything negative, so mehhh!!! I have to wait 4 weeks for my first midwife appointment and 12 week scan. Another waiting game begins...
Anyone out there, who's had experience with this?

Re: *TW* Subchorionic Haemorrhage

• I had one with my second pregnancy. I felt a huge gush like my water had broken around 11 weeks, but it turned out to be blood. It continued bleeding similar to a period for another month or so. By my anatomy scan, only a small amount was left. No other complications, and the risk of miscarriage is very low. It sucks going through it but I'm glad they caught it and could tell you. I can't explain the fear of feeling like your water broke just to find out its blood. Fingers crossed for a smooth pregnancy for you! 
  • I also have one right now and it makes me nervous. The doctor said it's very small and there is nothing I can do about it. I do believe the small ones tend to get reabsorbed and if they bleed out it's not a ton of blood. I think the risk of mc is very tiny and even that is more associated with the large ones not the small ones. The only good thing about knowing is that if you bleed you have some reassurance that its just the sch rather than a mc. My doc didn't seem to even think it warranted more scans.  I'd be curious to have check-ins with others that have sch in the current pregnancy to see how it's going. I have my nuchal scan on 3/24 so I should be able to have an update then. 

OliveOyl, I'm curious if your sch was considered large? That sounds awful and frightening but very glad it all turned out ok. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh god what a horrible thing to have happened to you! I would have lost my mind! I haven't had any bleeding at all, hence why I was so surprised at the news today. I am a worry wart and it didn't help that my husband spilled my dirty dr.google and Doppler secrets to the sonographer. She basically said that I am crazy and I should stop worrying. She is correct lol! 
  • I was diagnosed with an SCH with my son, now a healthy 2.5yo :) I had bright red bleeding at 7 weeks after a previous MC at 6 weeks, so it was definitely scary! My scan showed it was pretty small even with all the bleeding. It's easy to say, but try not to worry too much! It's fairly common and if the tech wasn't worried I would let that ease your mind!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sophiakam I honestly don't remember what the size was but it had to be pretty big if I bled for a month. 
  • I just found out on Friday that I have a small SCH. My RE said it was so small that there's nothing to worry about, but of course that's easier said than done. I have another US on 3/13 (not because of the SCH). So I guess it's a waiting game until then. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was given the measurements of my bleed, but have no idea if it's classed small or medium.
  • @AiramH I googled a chart for the size classifications. I don't know how accurate it was but it at least gave me some idea. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hi all, I don't post much but I saw this thread and wanted to comment as I'm in the same situation. At 5 weeks 6 days I had an u/s for bleeding and it was discovered I had a "large" (even though uterus is still so tiny at that point) SCH that covered 60% of my placenta. I had a scan two weeks later that showed it was reabsorbing and was more at 40-50% (no idea the size tho). 

I am pretty nervous about it still but my dr does not seem worried at all and said even the large ones almost always heal themselves. She didn't give me any restrictions or order any more scans until my anatomy scan. I'm really hoping I can convince her to squeeze another scan in for some peace of mind of what's going on in there though!! 

On a side note, I have a friend who is 20 weeks pregnant and she was diagnosed with a SCH that covered 80% of her placenta and it actually just cleared itself up in the last few weeks! So that gave me hope. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so sorry. It really sucks when you don't get a normal and boring scan. From what the ladies have said though, it sounds like you are still on track for a healthy pregnancy. Let us know how the next scan goes.

**June Siggy Challenge: You Had ONE Job!**

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been spotting on and off since last week.  Went for my 1st OB appt this morning and as I went to collect the routine urine sample I had more blood! After 2 ultrasounds  (1st one couldn't find the heartbeat so after the office us, I was sent to the hospital for a us) they told me it was a sch. I'm so stressed. I'm 41 so I already have that against me.  What I don't get is why do they not think we need extra scans? My next spot isn't until 4/25!  I was moved from 8w down to 6w also. 

Subchorionic Hem

• I was just diagnosed with an sch today at 6+4. I've had lots of spotting and yesterday had some red blood. My re didn't seem too concerned about it either. Hoping all goes well! 
  • @Hends04, I'm sorry to hear you're so stressed!  4/25 does seem like an awfully long time to wait considering you are bleeding.  I have my nuchal scan on 3/24 and even that seems like an eternity.  I just agreed to go on two work trip from now until then to keep busy.  Can you request a nuchal scan?  That needs to be done at around 12 weeks. If you are 41 that should be offered. My last scan was 8w2d and all looked good other than the sch but I feel like between 8w and 12w a lot can happen so I am very anxious.  From my obsessive consulting with Dr. Google, it seems like sch do not cause mc except in extreme rare cases.  I even found one study that said there was no statistically significant evidence linking sch and mc.  From what I've read, worst case scenario is you have some scary bleeding, which you already are, but that it doesn't harm the baby.  Also, I totally understand the extra anxiety about being 40+.  I am 40 and this is my first pregnancy so I worry this is my only chance at a family and it can be taken away from me at any moment.  All us sch ladies should have check-ins!
  • @sophiakam thank you. I'm definitely going to take your suggestion and ask for the nuchal scan. I pray that everything will be ok with you. <3
    I also like the idea of check ins! Maybe we can encourage each other to stop using Dr Google! 
  • Let's all stay away from Dr Google until our next scans at least. I find it comforting when Google tells me what I want to hear, but when not, I drive myself crazy. They told me at the scan that it is 'normal' to have a SCH because the placenta burrows itself into the uterus. On paper it totally makes sense. I decided to not strain myself, exercise is off the table, no heavy lifting and resting whenever I can. I will also keep taking my vitamins and drink more water. I'll be thinking of you all and hope we all get rid of these silly bleeds. Let's all share updates when we have them. Also, especially @Hends04 we deserve extra scans. Mainly for our mental wellbeing!!!
  • I actually went to the ER yesterday for extremely painful cramping (without bleeding). I'm 6w6d and baby is absolutely fine. On US they found remnants of a small SCH and a bleeding ovarian cyst. The er doctor didn't seem concerned with either and I'm going to see my OB today. It seems that mine reabsorbed and I think that's pretty common. I can report back with more info today after my appointment. 
  • I totally agree to rest and take it easy as much as possible. Definitely easier said than done if you have other little ones at home too! The one piece of advice I've gotten from others who've had SCHs is to drink a TON of water and avoid heavy lifting/straining to help the SCH heal as quickly as possible.

I'm definitely also one to google everything but I've tried my hardest because if I read one bad story, I feel like I'm doomed! I guess its it's comforting to know that this is quite a common issue and most all of them turn out just fine :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know it's hard... but try not to google as much as possible!!! I had one during my pregnancy with my DD, and I was super worried about it and read all these bad things.. but then my body ended up reabsorbing it.  I bled once with her but it's when I miscarried her twin.. the hemorrhage was still there after and nothing ever came of it!! So try not to stress!!  I know it's so hard.. but they are actually fairly common! I hope your pregnancy continues to go smoothly for you!! 
  • @hsteph0426 thank you! That's really encouraging to hear! I haven't googled it for two days now, so I am making slow progress lol!
  • I have one as well...I don't know measurements but OB said it was "larger than she'd like to see." I've been off work for two weeks now (I have a job where I am on my feet a lot and requires heavy lifting at times) but I don't have many other restrictions. I went for a second u/s yesterday and doesn't look like it's changed much, but baby is growing like crazy and HB is very strong. OB seems confident that this will resolve. I haven't bled much overall so I am hoping that continues and my body reabsorbs it. I am also taking baby aspirin and progesterone to try and speed this along (also drinking lots of water). I feel better knowing that the little peanut is doing very well but there is still some nervousness as I had a m/c a few months ago. I don't want to go through that again, especially now that I have heard the HB!

Hopefully our SCH's will resolve shortly!! It helps seeing so many positive stories. :)
  • @ezavasky did your doctor recommend the baby aspirin?
  • @AiramH Yes my doctor said to take one baby aspirin a day. I'm thinking it was to break the clot up.
  • Has anyone had any updates with their SCHs?  This morning I had some pretty intense bleeding and I'm continuing to bleed. I've never even had minor spotting during this pregnancy. It felt like some of my progesterone insert was oozing so I thought nothing of it but then when I went to the bathroom I had a ton of red blood. I freaked out and told DH I wanted to go to the ER.  The good news at ER doc saw a strong fetal heart rate at 176 and the fetus was where it should be. I will be 10 weeks tomorrow. The pelvic exam showed my cervix was adequately closed and blood work was normal so now I just need to follow up with OBGYN.  The ER doctor says in all likelihood it's the SCH but he couldn't say for sure. While thrilled for a good heartbeat my own heartbeat is consistently elevated! For those of you that bled out with sch how long did it take?i was told my sch was small.   I'm also having increased cramping that more closely mimics what I feel during my period than what I've had during the pregnancy. I'm hoping that's just the blood being expelled. Ugh. Top stressful for a Sunday!
  • Oh gosh! I would have panicked! It all sounds good what the ER doctor said and I would also think that the blood could be from the bleed. They told me the bleed would get re-absorbed or come out. I haven't had any spotting at all so far. Still got to wait three long weeks for my next scan. It's on my mind every day
  • @ezavasky I am confused. Do you have a clot or a bleed? Taking aspirin for a clot I understand, but for a bleed?! I was under the impression that a blood thinner is the last thing you want for an internal heamorrage.
  • @AiramH My understanding is that a SCH can be caused by a clot as a result of suboptimal implantation, so the baby aspirin can help thin the clot. I have not had an active bleed in over 2 weeks (I had some light spotting a week ago but I think that was caused by something else, and she didn't seem concerned at all). It's still large enough that my OB doesn't want me back to work just yet since my job can be more physically demanding at times, but she seems confident that this will resolve. I trust my OB...she is very well respected in the community. In fact, my primary care doctor used her as her OB when she had her daughter!

I know that there is a lot of differences of opinion b/w doctors regarding how to manage these things. It makes it all the more frustrating for us.
  • I wasn't doubting your doctor, my ultrasound tech just didn't mention a clot at all, as in that a clot would be a stage of the sch or anything. This whole thing is stressing me. Why does it have to exist!!!
  • I may not be 100% correct on that but that's my understanding of it. I am trying not to stress too much myself, but some days are harder than others. I'm sorry you have to wait so long to find out if it's getting any better!  :(
  • I haven't personally experienced this, but one of my best friends did. She said that she got diagnosed with it early on, the believe that it came from her Mirena because she got pregnant so quickly after it was removed. She bled the first 20 weeks of her pregnancy, and was on pelvic rest the whole first half of her pregnancy. She now has a happy, and very healthy 2 year old boy. Hope this helps! Fingers crossed that everything is perfectly fine!
  • I posted on this thread earlier that I had a SCH with my DD and that you should try and not worry cause they are fairly common.. well I had some spotting with this pregnancy and it turns out that I have one again this pregnancy!  So now I will try to follow my own advice and not worry this time around again :) 
  • @tyannejohn Thank you, it really helps seeing other success stories. :) Glad that your friend and her son are doing awesome!

@hsteph0426 So sorry you are having to go through it again! I'm glad that you have a success story with your previous one...I would imagine that is helping the nerves somewhat.
  • @sophiakam how scary! I've been spotting this entire time but have had two red bleeds. Ultrasound tomorrow and looking forward to the update! I'm 7+4 so I have a long ways to go. 
  • I'm 7w5d and Iv been bleeding for 2 weeks now. I just hope mines a SCH as the bleeding has now turned into a period type bleed. Have a scan on Friday morning
  • baker1jm2baker1jm2 member
    edited March 2017
    Just found out I have a very very small SCH. Dr said she's not concerned at all bc I haven't had any bleeding and baby is measuring good with strong heart beat.  She said they normally wouldn't do any extra scans but are letting me come back in 2 weeks for a repeat ultrasound bc I'm a worry wart. The not worrying part is hard!
  • I had one with my son and I've another one with this pg. Not sure why but with my son it was small and only caused bleeding for about a week. With this one it looked smaller to me but I don't really know, I haven't had any bleeding yet. 

• Just found out today that I have an SCH with this pregnancy. I had two of them with my first DS about 8 years ago but didn't bleed with either of them. Had a huge bleed yesterday which prompted today's ultrasound. 
  • In a way I feel like a bleed is a good thing when you have a SCH. At least it's a sign of it disappearing and clearing up. I haven't bled at all, so I have no idea if it's getting worse or being absorbed or what! Still two weeks until my scan arrggghhh!!!!
  • @AiramH my dr. Said brown spotting is fine but red bleeding is worrisome.  No bleeding is best as it means it's likely getting absorbed so I'm considering us lucky. I also have a torturous 2 week wait.  Hoping it's shrunk and I just get an extra opportunity to see the babe!
  • For those of you with SCH and bleeding, do any of you notice increase in bleeding with a BM? I had my first two bleeds this week (how fun!) and the first one started last Sunday literally seconds right after a BM. The second one started on Thursday and was a couple hours after a BM. By Friday  (yesterday) I had mostly pink spotting and then this morning just some small specs of brown when I wiped for at least a few pees so I was happy about that. And then again seconds after I had a BM this AM I had another bunch of blood come out. It was darker red, but certainly more red than the brown from this morning.  Still light and not gushing like when bleeds first started and a panty liner is enough to manage. It's seems somewhat logical that the squeezing of a BM might push things out more, but just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. 
  • Hi everyone! I'm glad this thread is here! I had a dating scan at 7 weeks but had not been back to the doctor since, so I had no clue that they had found a small sch. I learned about it earlier this week with a scary bleeding episode. It was exactly like a previous poster said, it felt like when my water broke with my DD. So I ran to.the bathroom to find that it was blood. I've had an ultrasound and baby is fine, but I've been told to take it easy and am on pelvic rest. For those of you that had this issue in past pregnancies, do you know if doctors are comfortable with travel generally? I have two trips scheduled in a couple weeks. One for work and one with family. I'm going to ask on Wednesday at my follow up appointment, but I'm scared they will not want me to travel. That'll cost me some big money since it's past cancellation dates. I'm hoping they will support me going as long as I've got plans to schedule lots of rest.