July 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

• How large of a baby clothing receptacle (dresser?) will we need? I'm trying to visualize the nursery, and the only furniture we have in it now are our two dressers and the dog's crate.
    We had a very small dresser. It was just barely big enough for the changing pad on top. About the height of a typical desk or table. It was just 3 long drawers. We used the top drawer for diapers and all the changing supplies, and all his clothes fit in the other two drawers. And I always felt like he had a TON of clothes (we got lots of hand-me-downs the first year. He never even wore it all) Anything resembling outerwear (hoodies and stuff) hung in the closet. I was diligent about getting rid of clothes that no longer fit him to be sure we didn't run out of space. The thing to remember about baby clothes is you only ever need one season in the dresser, because by the time the weather changes they'll be in a different size. So anything they don't wear RIGHT NOW can just go into storage or donate or whatever. Now he's almost 3 and we have that IKEA dresser that the whole rest of the world has. It's not even close to full. We store blankets and stuff in some of the drawers.

So IMO the answer to your question is not very large.
  • We have a dresser the width of the changing pad with three drawers. Top drawer is all diapers (cloth), middle drawer is PJ's, and I use the bottom drawer for the clothes he has outgrown but I haven't yet boxed up-- I just toss them in as he outgrows them and box them when it's full. 

In addition I have one shelf in the closet with all of his pants and another with shoes, socks and hats. I hang shirts and outerwear in the closet. So as far as actual drawers I really only use one for clothes, but I make up for that by using a fair amount of closet space. Your closet situation will definitely impact your dresser needs!
  • Loading the player...
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    Anyone interested in the Crescent Womb baby hammock? You attach it the crib and is supposedly going to make your baby feel more comfy, sleep better etc. 
  • BusyZee said:
    Anyone interested in the Crescent Womb baby hammock? You attach it the crib and is supposedly going to make your baby feel more comfy, sleep better etc. 
    I haven't looked into it, but how does it make sense that sooo many things aren't "safe places for baby to sleep" but suspending them in the air is fine??
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • https://crescentwomb.com/ i like that it hugs baby I would definitely consider it since I can't afford the snoo 
  • @BusyZee I haven't done research on it, but that thing scares the crap out of me. 
    1) im not seeing how thats safe Sids wise. Looks like bany could suffocate on that really easily 
    2) as soon as they start rolling over (4 months? STMs correct me) they could roll right out of that thing which seems super dangerous cause sometimes I think they start without you even realizing
    3) and i cant get the image out of my hesd of one side snapping off and the baby falling like that too 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @kerils re: falls, the hammock is just a few inches up from the crib mattress; they have a huge section on SIDS and how this relates, on their website; and they say to be careful using it after 14 weeks. I don't disagree with you, but most of your questions are answered on the site pretty readily. 

My $0.02 is a firm, flat surface is best for a baby - or an incline if there's a reflux problem. But I'm a Keep It Simple lady. @BusyZee I don't see how this would hug the baby more than swaddling, but I'm no expert. (Though my understanding is that's what the experts say, too.)
  • My son would sleep two places if he wasn't on me or my DH. Place one, the mamaroo swing. That thing was a lifesaver. That being said, I didn't have to pay for mine. My sisters son hated it and it was given to me brand new because of that reason. We used it until we maxed out of it!!! 

Second place, a Fisher Price baby bouncer. The super basic one, with vibrating button. This was less than 30$ and we also maxed out on weight limit because of how well he napped, hung out in it. Those first several months, it was a true lifesaver, also. I would put it in the bathroom and I could shower while he was awake and happily playing. I'm going to stick to these two swings and pray this little girl likes them! Haha 
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    Thankyou guys I didn't think about some of those things! Will do my research too. 
    @kerils maybe we saw different ones but the bottom is like a mesh (so breathable) and kind of looks like a sieve and then has a an attached surface that's the size of the crib so it kind of fits, I don't see how baby could fall off it.
    i have a feeling babies like to be suspended with a little freedom in limbs vs flat surface and swaddled (every kido is different though) because my neice would Only sleep on me while I'd be standing that's what I had in mind about saying hugging (totally wrong choice of words loll) @virginiaunicorn11

if you ladies get some more info, do let me know! 
  • Does anyone have experience with a Binxy? https://binxybaby.com/ It's similiar to the crescent womb but used for shopping carts. I saw a lady using one at Target and talked to her about it. She loved it, especially having a toddler that still needs to sit in the front area. 
  • https://www.target.com/p/ingenuity-smartbounce-automatic-bouncer-candler/-/A-51377994?lnk=rec|mwebpdph2|related_prods_vv|mwebpdph2|51377994|0

This is my one baby product I could not live without. All 3 of my kids hated swings, bonus it is small enough to fit inside a pack n play (you can actually fit 2 @ktewart) and keep older siblings away from baby. Might not work for everyone but in this house it saved our lives.
  • What's the lowdown on high chairs? I can get away without one until after 6 months right? And at that point, how necessary does it become? Like, can I just hold my child/sit them on the floor on a blanket/sit them on the couch to eat when they can sit up? DH and I don't have a dining room table now, and probably won't have one anytime in the near future. We'll probably have a small apartment again and normally watch something while eating anyways, so sitting around a table just isn't part of our lives or a priority. FTM so someone tell me if I'm nuts for thinking we can go without this. And when do they outgrow it anyways? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @kerils I think you can get away with not getting a high chair if you don't want it/don't have the space for it. But for us, it was invaluable. Still is at 19 MO. 

I don't know what method you'll choose for your baby when they start solids but regardless there will likely be huge messes and I personally wouldn't that anywhere but the high chair. If you do BLW I think you'll definitely need a high chair or one of those booster things that can be strapped to the kitchen chair because baby has to be secured. I mean I guess you could let them feed themselves off the floor but it will be way more messy and they will need way more supervision. 

My life was made WAY easier by a high chair. Most of the work I get done around the house is while she feeds herself in her high chair. But if I had to I guess I could have gone without but I can't imagine the headache it would have been. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Creedon778Creedon778 member
    edited March 2017
    @kerils our graco blossom high chair is one of the few things we've kept after we thought we were done having kids. It's been great to have when friends with kids visit and I can't imagine trying to feed a kid without it.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @kerils We never ate dinner at a table before DS started solids. It was really weird for us, but when he started solids, we started "family dinner," and I'm so glad we did.  We had one of the chairs that straps to a chair, thinking that it would be less furniture.  It was great most of the time, but when people came over, we missed the extra chair, so we got a separate high chair.  I think I got the cheapest one Walmart had, and it was good. The only thing I would do over is to get one that had a removable/washable cushion.  The recline feature of our chair-top was was really great, too.  I would definitely recommend getting on, and skipping lots of the other baby things over the high chair.
  • kerils said:
    What's the lowdown on high chairs? I can get away without one until after 6 months right? And at that point, how necessary does it become? Like, can I just hold my child/sit them on the floor on a blanket/sit them on the couch to eat when they can sit up? DH and I don't have a dining room table now, and probably won't have one anytime in the near future. We'll probably have a small apartment again and normally watch something while eating anyways, so sitting around a table just isn't part of our lives or a priority. FTM so someone tell me if I'm nuts for thinking we can go without this. And when do they outgrow it anyways? 
    We don't have a dining table and we still appreciate the high chair for DS. We keep it in the kitchen and he eats while we hang out with him - sometimes we eat with him, too (we can sit on some stairs that are right there).  

We have the IKEA high chair that was suuuuper cheap and is all plastic, so super easy to clean. Highly highly recommend it. 

Yes to waiting until baby is 6 months - totally fine. 
  • Oh I missed that question. Yes definitely to waiting until after 6 months. We didn't buy it until then when she started solids. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• nikkiandchrisnikkiandchris member
    edited March 2017
    @kerils you definitely don't need one before six months, but after it would be harder to feed baby without. I had to help the girls eat at first (even with blw) and so the high chair put them
    at the right height for that and I'm not sure how I could have helped if I were holding them. Two other options to think about are a portable chair that attaches to a chair you already have or using something like a bumbo on the floor for a while. Just something to hold them in place during meal time. I used a portable one with my daughter until she was like 2.5 as a booster.

oh and totally agree about new eaters being super messy- I wouldn't feed them on furniture you like. Most babies can't sit without assistance when they first start to eat.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im not even gonna try to tag everyone, but thank you! I thought it might be something I should get, but knowing I can wait til after 6 months, Ill wait to get it when we get to AZ. Ill just make a mental note that its pretty high on the priority list once we get settled there. Might go with a chair attached one so it can be a little smaller.
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • kerils said:
    Im not even gonna try to tag everyone, but thank you! I thought it might be something I should get, but knowing I can wait til after 6 months, Ill wait to get it when we get to AZ. Ill just make a mental note that its pretty high on the priority list once we get settled there. Might go with a chair attached one so it can be a little smaller.
    That's what we did.  Our house isn't huge so it was nice for saving space and it was pretty cheap.  Tucks under the table and easy to clean- I love it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • To add to the high chair discussion make sure all the straps and the cover are removeable and can be thrown in the washing machine.  I love our high chair but the bottom straps require a wrench and screw driver to remove and it's a giant PITA.  We are getting a different high chair for this baby because I'm over needing tools to clean the chair.  
  • I just remembered another question: For all cat owners, do you have a mobile and does your cat play with/attack it? I wasn't going to get one because my cat tends to be obsessed with dangling things, but now I have one being gifted to me (that I think she's actually fixing) and I'm not sure if I should just shoot her down now, or if I should actually keep it. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @kerils I'm planning on getting the type that hangs from the ceiling, then there will be no way the cat can reach it. Maybe I should get one now and test it out before baby comes!
  • @kerils - is this for above the crib? Honestly I would keep the cat out of there if so. You wouldn't want the cat jumping in the crib and restricting the baby's airway while he/she is sleeping!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Rae1 I wouldn't ever let her in there if the baby is unattended.  And actually I don't plan to have a crib, so now that I'm really thinking about it I don't even know where I would hang it. But I remembered while driving today and debating this that the person who was giving it to me (it was a hand-me-down to her) has another family member who is pregnant, so I'll just tell her to give it to them. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • kerils said:
    @Rae1 I wouldn't ever let her in there if the baby is unattended.  And actually I don't plan to have a crib, so now that I'm really thinking about it I don't even know where I would hang it. But I remembered while driving today and debating this that the person who was giving it to me (it was a hand-me-down to her) has another family member who is pregnant, so I'll just tell her to give it to them. 
    oh yea I forgot you were doing pnp for a while since you are moving shortly after the baby is born.
    problem solved!! :)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Double stroller recommendations? We are considering a BOB because we want something that will work for daily use plus one we could use when we go places like fairs and stuff of that nature that involves walking on grass, gravel, blacktop etc. I originally was looking st the grace modes duo but read reviews about how it doesn't handle well on different terrain. 
  • sakeefer said:
    Double stroller recommendations? We are considering a BOB because we want something that will work for daily use plus one we could use when we go places like fairs and stuff of that nature that involves walking on grass, gravel, blacktop etc. I originally was looking st the grace modes duo but read reviews about how it doesn't handle well on different terrain. 
    I love our double bob. It's big but fits through all standard doors. I like side by sides because my girls always wanted to sit next to each other anyway and there was never fighting about who would sit where. I got a great deal on mine, but it was between that and the double city mini gt. I actually run with mine so I liked the smooth ride, big wheels and shocks on the bob.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sakeefer I just bought a double Bob on Craigslist a few weeks ago and got a steal.  I was following them on fb marketplace, Craigslist, and eBay for a while and there are a ton on there, at least in my area.  The one I got was practically brand new.  I've used it a few times wth DD and her friend and I love it so far.  It's not nearly as wide as I expected.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got a britax b ready off Craigslist. I love it so far just for my one gremlin. It's a stadium seated stroller, not side by side. Surprisingly when I put it together with two seats DD was clamoring to sit in the bottom seat, and refused to get out each time. So that will be nice for her to sit there and put the bucket in the top spot, bu and I can also reverse it. I loved the steering, it is heavy though. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @sakeefer we had a double bob we got for a steal on CL but never really used it bc our 2 year old had no interest in sitting. Plus it was huge to transport. We ended up sticking with our single bob and had one of those stand things put on the back for the older one. We gave the double to my MIL who watched our little ones sometimes. She also had their cousins and so she found it helpful for the two babies and just used it on her street / walk to the park so she was never transporting it.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have some target gift cards to use that would take a big chunk out of the price so we were hoping to get the stroller from there. It's between the double BOB and the city mini but I've heard better things about the BOB. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. 
  • @sakeefer definitely go test out the strollers if you can. The BOBs are great but heavy. We were just looking at singles and even then the BOB was just too unwieldy for me to use on my own. The City Mini was so much more manageable. 
  • @Twinkiedoll I need to find a place around here that actually has the city mini and the BOB in store, that's the hard part. But, I really don't want to buy one without at least seeing it in person. 
  • Wow @mamadcb that's a steal! 
  • @Creedon778 My almost 2 year old hates sitting in the stroller too, so I'm hesitant to buy a double stroller. I like the idea of a glider board, but I'm not sure he's big enough or that he'll use it. He doesn't like to be contained! 
  • chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited March 2017
    I'm so sad for all of you whose LOs hate strollers. I think my 3.5 year old will stroller until he outweighs the thing. I was actually disappointed we couldn't get a double compatible with our infant seat that had two full seats. He'll have to cope with the sit-n-stand.
  • @chiquita928 my 5.5 yo would still ride in the stroller too! They love to be pushed around lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @chiquita928 I'm sad for me too haha. Stroller life seems so luxurious. I don't know why he won't sit back and let me push him around!