July 2016 Moms

Sleep Regressions/Sleep Help

Re: Sleep Regressions/Sleep Help

• @kmurdock925 I tried a little cio and she cried so hard. Eventually after a 5 min check and then a 10 min check I gave in and she held my finger to sleep. That's why I was hoping the sleep lady shuffle would make me feel better about it. I've basically read the whole book but I don't know if I can endure the crying. 
  • kmurdock925kmurdock925 member
    edited March 2017
    @ladybug2128 - if I have learned anything (and I don't know much...haha...)...it is that every baby is different and you know your baby best.  I know several people that did the shuffle (or a modified version of it) and it worked great for them.  Go with your gut and be 100% consistent!
  • Loading the player...
  • LDSJM123 said:
    @LDSJM123 @kmurdock925 When you first put them to bed, are you putting them to sleep first and then laying then down?  Or are you doing the drowsy but awake?
    We transitioned from cosleeping. So the first week or two, we held her until she fell asleep then put her in her crib. Now we lay her down drowsy but awake. Unless she falls asleep nursing. Holding her until she fell asleep seems to help the transition. I also made sure she always had the same blanket (we have 2 made of the same fabric). That little bit of consistency seemed to be what she needed. During the holding until she fell asleep phase, we also kept an eye on the clock and her tired signs so we knew what to look for when we switched to drowsy but awake. 
    This is exactly how our transition went from cosleeping to crib. Now I can usually put him down drowsy and he'll either fall right to sleep or he'll fuss and try to play for a few minutes until he gives up. He still wakes up once or twice per night pretty consistently but he's gotten much better since the first few weeks of transitioning to the crib!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • How many naps would you say you're getting consistently? I went to a 1st birthday for a friend's baby over the weekend and I was surprised at how many moms were saying their baby dropped to 1 nap around this time. My mom consistently gets 2 naps out of her. Rare but sometimes 3! It had me wondering if she's not spending enough time awake and playing? My husband said it's because he thinks obviously my mom isn't young and super active like us...so her days are probably a little more chill and maybe she's just willing to sleep then if that's the case?! lol She's really starting to get into the regular crawling this week though. I'm thinking that's going to be a nap game changer...
  • M consistently takes 2 naps and sometimes 3. My oldest kept up with 2 naps until about 18 months then went to 1 long afternoon nap. And kept it until going to kindergarten! She was always a good sleeper and always (and still) needs a lot of sleep. So I'm not surprised she kept 2 for so long.
  • Baby J had been taking 4- 30 minute naps last week. I gave her a longer awake time and now she's on 3 naps that range from 30-90 minutes. My friend's kid just turned one and still takes 2 naps. 
  • We get about 1 to 2 really good naps. Usually lasting about 2 hours. 
    @LDSJM123 we transitioned ds from cosleep to crib the same way. We have good and bad nights but we're getting there! 
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    8 months and we get 2-3 naps a day that range from 30-90 minutes 
  • Almost 8 months and we usually get 2 naps ranging from 45 minutes to 2 hours
  • Are your babies napping in their cribs?  I usually nurse Elijah to sleep.  I used to be able to ninja roll away to get some chores done but lately that has not been possible.  Don't get me wrong, I love the snuggles but also don't see this working for us long-term.  Any tips on getting baby to nap in the crib?  He gets two naps per day now.
  • @LDSJM123 Funny you say that about needing sleep...that has always been me! Even as a child. Ok, I'm not going to over think this then. She's doing the norm!!
  • Yep still getting 2 naps a day here too! One in the morning and one in the afternoon. @austinjl Does he sleep in his crib at night? P took some time to adjust to sleeping in the crib, starting with naps, so if he never sleeps in there then maybe he just needs to get comfortable with the crib itself. If he already does nights in the crib, is there something else that might make him wake up when he's in the crib as opposed to being with you for naps? 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    To sleep in crib, I follow a similar but shortened version of his bedtime routine. At bed we do diaper, jammies, nursing, story, and then a cuddle and goodnight peom. For naps: diaper, nursing, cuddle and goodnight poem. It seems to work pretty well. 
  • Anyone else not have a bedtime routine? I feel like such a rebel. Lol. I turn on the white noise and nighlight, kiss her and lay her down. I don't think that's a routine? 
  • He sleeps in his crib overnight, usually pretty well (with the exception of the past few days).  With naps, I wait until he's tired and put him down but he doesn't settle himself during the day like he does at night.  It's weird!
  • @LDSJM123 That's pretty much our routine! Sometimes I throw in some more stuff but that's a typical night in our house, lol. 
  • Yea I used to do a more complex routine and for some reason that has shortened!  Naked time, reading time (which lately is E eating books), diaper change, white noise machine on, nurse, put in crib.
  • pretty much same here! usually bath bottle. kisses good night as i lay him down in the crib and that's it. it works for us!  i figure when he gets older i will prob read to him as part of the routine but for now i read as just part of play time!
  • What are naps?! Ohhh yeah that thing Camille does at daycare but only occasionally at home.  :/
  • For naps we wait until she is tired, give her a bottle and then put her in her crib, with a pacifier to hold on to, she usually settles herself within 10 minutes. I was doing the nurse and roll away, but I wanted to get stuff done when her naps started being an hour long instead of the 20 minute newborn ones.

As for bedtime its bath, jammies/diaper, bottle, book, one last offering of bottle, bed. 
  • Right now, according to my pediatrician, your baby should be sleeping at least 3 hours in the daytime for proper development. Elise takes 2 naps and they are 2 hours each. Generally, I have read that most kids drop down to 1 nap by the time they are 18 months. It seems to really depends on the kid and what your life is like! I have been told that if they start playing the crib, then they don't need that nap anymore. I have also heard of babies starting to cut out their afternoon nap so that is when you should start cutting down the morning nap to maintain the afternoon one. If they are napping, they probably need the sleep! 

Elise has slept in her crib since she was 3 months old. That's when I started sleeping training, so she just learned to sleep there. I did start putting her down in her crib for 1 or 2 of her naps at first and then slowly transitioned to only sleeping in there. 

Bedtime has gotten faster for sure! She hates when I try to rock her or sing too long. She reaches into the crib and just wants to sleep. After her bottle, I change her, brush her teeth, and we say goodnight to daddy. Then we read her bible in her room, I put her in her sleep sack, sing her a short song, and sleep! 
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    @shaylalr it's funny you mention you LO hates it the routine takes too long. AJ is the same. He gets really fussy if he's tired and I'm taking too long. Then as soon as I put him down, he rolls over and is like "finally!! Now I can go to sleep!"  :D
  • @austinjl I had the same issue where Q would take awesome naps on me, but if I put him in his crib he would sleep for maybe 15 min then be done. I let him sleep on me until about 6 months then decided it was time to give myself a break during his naps! I started putting him down at the same times every day to keep it consistent and build a routine. I had to do the sleep training method we used for night time at nap time as well and it took about 3 weeks for him to get it. He now takes 3 naps per day, the first is the longest at 1.5 hours and the next 2 are shorter between 1 and .5 hours. I hope you get a break soon!! 
  • We are at 1 or 2 naps a day anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour long, usually 20 minutes though. She still doesn't nap in her crib no matter what I try, but soon I'm going to have to just let her skip naps if she won't sleep in her crib because I'm not holding a toddler twice a day for a nap.
  • Has anybody had success with the Ferber method?  My son was sleeping great until a few nights ago when he started rolling onto his belly in his crib.  Once he gets on his stomach, he gets mad and can't figure out how to get back.  He can sometimes cry a bit and fall asleep on his belly but he always wakes back up , usually within a half hour.  So far I've just caved and brought him bcak to bed with me.  My patience/tolerance for listening to him cry is so low especially if I'm tired. Any tips would be appreciated!!!
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    @austinjl yeah, it's hard to hear them cry. Might seem heartless, but I turn the monitor sound off and set my timer to check it every 10 minutes until I either go get him, or he falls asleep. 
  • @austinjl - mine did that and we ended up just flipping her back over for like 2-3 nights. Then, she stopped caring and realized that sleeping on her stomach is the jam and she's actually sleeping better now.
  • Omg that sounds awesome @mnkenned.  My babe needs to figure that out.  And I need to figure out how to leave him instead of bringing him back into my bed which I only do since it's the fastest way back to sleep!
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    @austinjl if I do let AJ sleep on me, or think I'm going to fall asleep, I do it in the glider with a 20 minute silent timer set on my phone. The buzzing will wake me, but not him and I can the quietly transition him back into the crib and me into bed! 
  • So the kiddo has started sleeping like a champ this week! WOO! (knock on wood, remove all bad juju, don't jinx it, don't want to ruin a good thing) - the only problem...she is still sound asleep when I leave for work in the morning and I hate not seeing her before I leave :(

A few days ago I tried to creep her bedtime up by 30 minutes hoping she would wake a little earlier, then was going to do another 30 minutes earlier a week-ish later...she fell asleep nice and easily but 30 minutes later she wasn't having it.  I'm not sure if it is a fluke or if I just found the sweet spot for going down to get her to sleep later and I just have to accept that I won't see her in the mornings...humph.
  • Anybody else's kid like to sleep face down in the crib?  My babe just recently has been flipping onto his belly at night but just kind of face plants into the crib mattress.  I try to remind myself that he's strong enough to move his head to the side if needed but it still is kind of terrifying....
  • Yes! DD2 sleeps like that 95% of the time now. 
  • Yup- kiddo has been sleeping on her belly probably since 4 months- there was no stopping her.  It is her go to now...the back isn't even an option, ha.
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    Yep...he face plants then rubs his face into the crib sheet 

anyone else's kid hit the 8mo regression? DS has had a rough time for the past 3-4 weeks but this weekend was murder. He did not sleep unless we were holding him
  • LDSJM123LDSJM123 member
    edited March 2017
    1. Totally have a face down sleeper too! 

2. Didn't know there was an 8 month regression but that totally fits. After 3(?) solid weeks of sleeping through the night in her own bed, M is back up 2-3x a night and cosleeping. And nursing nonstop. I was thinking growth spurt. 
  • We are deep in the 9 month growth spurt! Loving all the extra nursing withthe new teeth!!! Ahh! And it's rocked our sleeping schedule too. I'm having my mom step up her feedings today in hopes of some relief tonight. 
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    @LDSJM123 yes, apparently there is a sleep regression that hits sometime between 8-10mos and it's a doozy. It happens shortly after they learn to crawl and can last for up to 3 months before sleep completely normalizes again  :s

@TiffRox81same here. Having daycare be sure to give him all three bottles in hopes that it helps him sleep a bit more tonight. Not sure if it will as he's not up asking to nurse, just can't seem to fall asleep without help. 
  • Oh no there's another sleep regression coming up?? I feel like we just recovered from the last one... 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15