January 2016 Moms
Options

Constipation

First off, I love this board and miss it. My new board is not the same...

Second, my daughter has been having intestinal issues. A week ago she became constipated. Sunday she had a BM, which was clay-like in color and texture. Thursday it turned back to normal color. However, she's still so uncomfortable that she's screaming during a BM. Any tricks for helping with sad poopers? We've done prune juice, apple juice, warm baths, yogurt... help :(

Re: Constipation

• Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    Take her to a doctor to get their opinion and potentially some suppositories!
  • Options
    For such issues, my ped recommended adding a bit of oil to her food: 1-2 tspns olive oil or rapeseed oil.  Or also giving millet cereal.  Also pear purée is supposed to be helpful.  When my baby transitioned to cow milk she had some constipation issues, it seems to be going better now, but I continue the oil, millet and pear when she seems to have issues and it seems to help.  Has something changed in her diet that could cause the issue?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We changed to cow's milk in January. There hasn't been any other change. I took her in Tuesday and they didn't seem concerned. I might take her in today. She woke up miserable....
  • Options
    We have been having the same issues here. Went to the pediatrician and was advised to push more fluids ... also grape juice.. specifically the white grape kind. It has been working so far but I also removed bananas and cheese from her diet to see if it would help. I read somewhere that they might be contributing factors.
  • Options
    Water and go over her diet, could she be having too much starchy food? She may also just not be a regular (little) person. 
  • Options
    No Judging =/ 
    I wouldn't use this unless baby is misrable, I've only ever done it once, but my grandma swore that giving my LO some decaf coffee with milk and she said it would help move things along fast. It was a rough day where i tried apple juice, prune juice, a warm bath, a tummy message, nothing worked and I was desperate just to get my little guy to poop so i tried it, and it worked! Just make sure you have your LO drink lots of water after if you try it cause coffee can have a dehydrating effect. Like i said this isn't a solution for everyday constipation, but if you are desperate like I was it worked. 
    With some research we found the best diet to avoid constipation was high-fiber foods, fruits like prune, mango, pear, vegetables like broccoli, peas, beans, and whole-grain breads and cereal. We were told to avoid processed foods, sweets, and to watch milk and cheese intake. Hope this helps! 

• Options
    For such issues, my ped recommended adding a bit of oil to her food: 1-2 tspns olive oil or rapeseed oil.  Or also giving millet cereal.  Also pear purée is supposed to be helpful.  When my baby transitioned to cow milk she had some constipation issues, it seems to be going better now, but I continue the oil, millet and pear when she seems to have issues and it seems to help.  Has something changed in her diet that could cause the issue?
    The oil thing makes sense. Sometimes you need a little "lube" to get things going. I used to nanny a little girl, and she had gone over a week without a BM. Her parents tried everything--every supplement and dietary change. They even bought a trampoline, at the doctor's recommendation, to get things moving. No luck. I took her to Pizza Hut. Not something I would give her on a daily basis, but just greasy enough to help out.

@kodariah , it makes sense that coffee would work, since it's a diuretic. But, yes. Def lots of water if you have to go that route.

In our experience with LO, gripe water also helps a lot. We use it for the occasional AR issue, but it has the added benefit of loosening things up. Otherwise, we just give her a healthy amount of raspberries daily.

• Options
    I recently had this issue with my son too..Water or diluting his juice more seemed to help but I did have to use a children's suppository to get things moving at first. I've also had to use a q tip and vasoline when things got stuck in the midst of trying to poop. It's a terrible thing but I think ours was caused by too much dairy.
  • Options
    Miralax!!! Half a cap in 4oz water. 16 hours later (after sleeping) she had two glorious poops!!! Since then we've cut out cheese sticks, added fresh berries, and 4oz of morning AJ.
  • Options
    Avocado & Chia are also very high in fibre and healthy fats - both help make nice soft, easy to pass poops! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers