September 2016 Moms
Options

Baby refusing bottle

Sbrown721Sbrown721 member
edited March 2017 in September 2016 Moms
So my husband and I are going on a 5-day trip in mid-April and leaving our son with MIL. As a SAHM I have been exclusively breastfeeding my son for a couple months now. He used to take a bottle just fine, but now he absolutely refuses it. It doesn't matter if I'm feeding him or anyone else feeds him (my husband works out of town during the week so it's mostly just baby and I). It doesn't matter when or where either. I've tried feeding him wide awake or drowsy. I've tried different bottles. I'm trying Dr. Browns tomorrow and realllly hoping it does the trick. Any other tips?! Yikes! I hope we don't have to cancel the trip!

Re: Baby refusing bottle

• Options
    My daughter refused the bottle for the first 3 wks of daycare. She finally decided she liked the Chicco bottle that has the boob-like nipple, and the Lansinoh one. Keep at it!
    https://www.chiccoshop.com/feeding/bottles/naturalfit-5-oz-bottle-0m-newborn-flow/00080711000070.html

https://www.lansinoh.com/en/products/momma-bottle-with-naturalwave-nipple
  • Options
    I would agree just keep trying different bottles and maybe different nipple sizes as well! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing with my 6 month old son.  I mostly BF him, but he did used to take the bottle on occasion (if I was busy out and about), but now - NOPE.  We may have had a bit of a breakthrough last weekend, though.  I was gone a lot on Sunday, and my husband and mom were in charge.  Well I guess I was gone long enough that he realized I wasn't coming back and with a bit of hesitation he ended up drinking from a bottle from my mom.  He took some pumped milk and even a little formula (since I hadn't pumped quite enough for him).  Well of course we tried the next day again when I was home, but no such luck.  I'm thinking mom (you) has to be literally OUT OF THE HOUSE for quite a while for baby to feel comfortable with the bottle.  At least that was my experience.  Good luck!  I, too, and going away on a trip soon so I need my baby to take that bottle as well!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just an idea too, my son was 8mo when he started drinking from a straw cup at daycare. They just put the breastmilk in there for him and he was totally happy with it. Might be worth a try!
    We have a bunch of the Foogo insulated cups with the flexi straws the kids still drink from.
  • Options
    I tried many different bottles and finally tried the Nuk trainer sippy cup (it has the handles that are easy to grab) and he drank from it! It took 2 tearful days of trying, but he did it! He definitely doesn't enjoy it, but at least he's doing it!!