2. Pregnancy

3. Labor/Delivery

4. Postpartum body/symptoms

5. Life with a newborn
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Things you wish you knew

• Loading the player...
  • 1. TTGP
    That the two week wait is hell. Also that trying to get pregnant can make your period late and give you false hope. Man the rants I have in my journal about Mother Nature being a complete b**** and psyching me out... yeah.

2. Pregnancy
    That it's not as miserable as all that in the first trimester? I mean I won't lie I got off very easy for my pregnancy so there wasn't a lot I questioned.

3. Labor/Delivery
    That losing your  mucus plug doesn't mean labour is imminent in the next few hours. I mean I probably misinterpreted the prenatal nurse in our classes, but when she was describing the situation I was sure that when you lose your mucus plug get ready! I called my poor husband out of work freaking out and called my midwife all concerned who informed me that it could be hours, days, or weeks(in my case it wound up being a day). Actual labour and delivery was basically as I expected it to be. I expected a fair deal of pain and I got it, I only wish I had been taught proper breathing techniques! It would have been so much better for me if I didn't basically start hyperventilating through each contraction. It was so bad I couldn't take proper pulls of the laughing gas and it was all but useless.

4. Postpartum body/symptoms
    How hard it is to do anything regarding going to the bathroom with all those stitches down there O.O You really take going to the bathroom for granted until after you have a baby... well, if you tear that is.

5. Life with a newborn
    The broken sleep is a big one for me. I mean I knew I would be tired, just not the kind of tired one can become when waking up every couple of hours... that and getting frustrated sometimes. I feel like the worst mother alive when I feel myself getting irritated when my son cries after I've thought I've taken care of all of his needs. He's a baby, he can't help it and I can't believe I am not more understanding about it. I mean I know the lack of sleep contributes to stress and nerves, but I really find myself hating myself for thinking what I do :/
  • kswiger06 said:
    When you've done everything you can think of, and you are feeling frustrated, it's ok to lie your baby down in a safe place, and take 10-15 minutes to cool off and calm down before going back, and trying to handle him. Sometimes they just cry, and it's not always easy to fix. And I'm not sure what kinds of things you are thinking sometimes, but if you're getting that tired, stressed, and worn out, don't be afraid to get help. Maybe it's just an extra set of hands, or maybe it's someone to just talk to, so you can get it out.
    My prenatal nurse said that in our pre-birth classes too. She explained purple crying and just having to walk away from baby sometimes. I don't know why I can't bring myself to do it like I should. I finally broke down crying at my DH today and told him what a failure I feel like because I can't comfort my own son. DH sent off a private text to my best friend who has a little girl of her own and I got a phone call almost instantly. She said basically everything you did, and despite living two hours away even volunteered to be that extra set of hands if I need it. She also warned me that frustration like I have is a sign of possible onset of postpartum depression and maybe I should talk to a nurse to get checked out. I thought I was okay, I mean I wasn't weepy or anything, but I guess postpartum depression is a little more than that. I can assure you my thoughts never go to hurting my baby, it's mostly just, "dear god stop crying!" and "mommy's going to run the hell away." even that's god awful though, and I will be talking to someone in the next couple of days to see about coping mechanisms.
  • @BeckS13 I'm glad you talked to your husband and he contacted your friend. It's good to have people know what you're feeling and going through. It sounds like you have a good friend. It's good you'll be reaching out to find other support, I hope you find things to help make things easier on you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • GretchypooGretchypoo member
    edited March 2017
    @NiceyMeany I get your concern because I don't want to spread misinformation but what I felt was real, not gas, and it happens to a lot of women. The Bump even has an article about it that I can't figure out how to link.

ETA link: https://www.thebump.com/a/what-are-implantation-cramps

I felt cramping that felt like bad period cramps. I remember because it woke me up in the middle of the night and I got upset and thought my period was starting early. I asked my midwives and they told me it was likely me feeling the implantation. 
  • cantalopes24cantalopes24 member
    edited March 2017
    Did you read the article? It's not the moment of conception. It's cramping because the egg has already implanted. It actually says if it's severe to see your doctor but that it's most likely gas (or your uterus expanding). I would say being woken up in pain is pretty severe so NiceyMeany was spot on.
  • cantalopes24 said:mo
    Did you read the article? It's not the moment of conception. It's cramping because the egg has already implanted. It actually says if it's severe to see your doctor but that it's most likely gas (or your uterus expanding). I would say being woken up in pain is pretty severe so NiceyMeany was spot on.
    I didn't say I felt conception. I said I felt implantation. I'm not an idiot. And yes I read the article. It backs up what I said.
  • kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited March 2017
    This is the paragraph you're getting the information regarding the uterus expanding and/or gas.

If at any point in your pregnancy the cramping becomes severe, lasts more than a couple of days or occurs after a positive pregnancy test, head straight to your doctor. It's probably just gas or the feeling of your growing uterus, but it's important to rule out miscarriagepreterm laborplacental abruptionpreeclampsia, and urinary tract infections.

That is after the information talking about implantation cramps. It's not saying that the original cramping at the time of implantation is just gas or the growing uterus, it's saying that if after you test positive or at any point in your pregnancy (from BFP onward) cramps are severe that you should go to the dr. It then says that most of the time those cramps are gas or expanding uterus, but miscarriage and so on should get ruled out.

I had those cramps when I got pregnant with our oldest. I'm not trying to say you can feel the exact moment of implantation, and I don't believe that article says so either, but instead it's a symptom that can be experienced as a result of the fertilized egg, burrowing into the uterus.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • NiceyMeanyNiceyMeany member
    edited March 2017
    @kswiger06 ok, if you really want to parse the article, it also says that implantation cramps "should be minor and brief (lasting only a day two)."  A DAY OR TWO.  Cramping lasting that length of time would indicate a response to either the surge of hormones OR the stretching of the uterus.  But it in no way indicates that a person can "feel implantation."

Further, it's worth mentioning that implantation cramping has almost no evidence-based literature to back it up.  It comes up with no results on PubMed, and the only references to it in a Google search are in forums or fluffy articles on places like TB (sorry, BGs!). There is no way to definitively prove that it even exists, as "cramping" is a subjective sensation, and its cause can only be confirmed in hindsight.

Look, I'm not here to say what anyone did or didn't experience.  But let's be cautious about lending validity to ideas that are specious at best. 
  • 1. TTGP: I pretty much learned everything I know about TTGP from the bump. Before that I didn't know anything. I was fully prepared for it to take 6+ months and then it happened on my first ovulating cycle. I learned how much better my body feels off the BCP though so I don't plan on going back on it. 

2. Pregnancy: I was shocked at how pregnancy affects everything. I wish I hadn't been so worried for the first two trimesters. I worked myself up into tears sure something was wrong before every appointment rather than enjoying it. By the third trimester though I relaxed some and was able to enjoy being pregnant. Though by then I was in a ton of pain with back and hips and couldn't breathe when I walked. Still overall I loved being pregnant, feeling him kick was the coolest feeling in the world. Seeing him at the 20 week U/S was also one of the coolest experiences. I didn't realize he'd already look like a baby then. 

3. Labor/Delivery: Even having an open mind about what you want doesn't mean that you won't feel disappointment after. I thought that since I didn't really have a birth plan I'd be fine but my labor was really difficult and both baby and I ended up with fevers after so he was taken to the NICU pretty directly and we missed the initial skin to skin and initial breastfeeding so breastfeeding has been a struggle for us. He also ended up with an IV and needed extra blood work and stuff done because of the fevers which was so hard to watch and I really felt like I failed him. 

4. Postpartum body/symptoms: I was not prepared at all for all the healing I'd need. I had an episiotomy and still tore so I was very swolen down there. I also have a lot of trouble with bleeding. It keeps getting better then I lift Ridley in his car seat and feel a gush and it's back to red and really heavy. I hate being limited by my own body and relying on DH so much for help. It's been hard but I've been trying to accept it more. 

5. Life with a newborn: I knew it'd be a ton of work but I had no idea how much. It's hard when you have a kid who just wants to be held all the time and fights sleep so hard. He's also started to not be happy unless I'm dancing while holding him so he screams when I sit down. We're at almost 3 weeks and DH returns to work today. I thought I'd be vacuuming and cooking a bunch of meals and stuff by now when in reality I'm struggling to just find time to take a nap, eat, and shower. Idk how we're going to get by without DH during the day but hopefully we get into a groove. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)