October 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ (aka the Stupid Questions Thread)

Re: Ask a STM+ (aka the Stupid Questions Thread)

• yenrecyenrec member
    edited March 2017
    @roo_baby in all honesty, that's exactly how it was for me, and it has this time around as well. At 5 weeks i was in the ER, severely dehydrated getting potassium and magnesium pumped in me, and on dicleegis for vomiting. NOTHING sounded good to eat, everything looked and smelled like puke, I felt fat and tired, and was actually not excited to be pregnant after trying so hard. One totally crappy month later at 10 weeks, I have zero nausea! The bloat has calmed now that I can eat a more balanced diet, and with that I'm feeling much more energy, but obviously the new symptoms of round ligament pain and other fun things like fatigue have started. 
    I promise you'll feel better. Obviously every woman and every pregnancy is different, but it's no secret the first many weeks of pregnancy usually really suck. You'll get there!!! Keep your head up. Things will only get better!
    To add to that, once you get into your second trimester, you'll start feeling flutters and baby moving, plus you'll likely find out the sex of the baby, which just adds to the excitement. Second trimester is usually quite enjoyable. 
  • @roo_baby, I don't want to be the Debbie downer of the group...but not all women find their MS goes away in second trimester. Although mine definitely decreased, I was still throwing up regularly until 24 weeks. So just throwing that out there.

But yes, I noticed that starting probably around 14/15 weeks, my MS improved. I would have a day or two where I would feel great. And then I'd have a bad day. I was just looking back in my notes and a few times I wrote "I haven't thrown up in a week!" And then the next day wrote "nevermind..." So for me it was a gradual improvement! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't have morning sickness but my extreme exhaustion never went away after 12 weeks. Learned a bit later that I was so low in iron I needed a supplement. Just something to think about if anyone is really on the extreme end of exhaustion.
  • @riverraine Cool, thanks! We have plenty of room so we'll just get creative for as long as it's possible. We'd love to stay until we're ready to buy.
    Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• I'll do my best to remember to update once I have my test. As far as I know it's just a blood test to see if you have it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it comes back negative.
    Me: 29  DH: 32                                                                                          
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    BFP: 2/6/2017
    Due Date: 10/13/17
    pangur_ban_by_sequana-d31ja7y
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @feeislove FX for good news or a good treatment planning depending on the results!
    Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• So this is a question for fellow STM and over. 
    we have a 3 bedroom townhouse. We have pretty decent space and the entire basement is the kids playroom/party room/go down there and leave me alone room. Do any of you plan on having your kids share a room?  They have full size beds and the rooms aren't big enough for 2 side by side, but we can totally do full over full bunk beds. They used to share a room before we lived here for about a year but it was a crib and a full size bed. I'm nervous about it , and we are looking to move sometime next year but they will have to share for a little bit. Any advice or anyone have their kids share or plan to? They are going to be 10 and 7 soon. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

we have a 3 bedroom townhouse. We have pretty decent space and the entire basement is the kids playroom/party room/go down there and leave me alone room. Do any of you plan on having your kids share a room?  They have full size beds and the rooms aren't big enough for 2 side by side, but we can totally do full over full bunk beds. They used to share a room before we lived here for about a year but it was a crib and a full size bed. I'm nervous about it , and we are looking to move sometime next year but they will have to share for a little bit. Any advice or anyone have their kids share or plan to? They are going to be 10 and 7 soon. 
    I just moved my 3yo and 2yo in together last weekend. We have enough bedrooms for everyone to have their own. but i figured whilst they like each other it would be fun and i can keep my guestroom. I did a twin over full bunk bed (fffc given their age? oh well yolo). So fair they have liked it, they are younger so the adjustment isn't as easy as i'd like. but the big one adjusted fine, she is excited to have a roommate. its the little one that is stealing my soul motn.
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • @canonmom413  We have a 3-bedroom house and right now 2 of our kids (the twins) share.  When new LO comes, everyone will be sharing.  It has worked fine in our house.  In fact, DS went through a phase a few months ago where he would cry every night because every one else had someone sleeping in their room with them, and he was lonely.  

DH swears that this is our forever home, so 3 bedrooms it is for the foreseeable future.  There might be an addition when our student loans are gone in a few years.
    *Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
    I just moved my 3yo and 2yo in together last weekend. We have enough bedrooms for everyone to have their own. but i figured whilst they like each other it would be fun and i can keep my guestroom. I did a twin over full bunk bed (fffc given their age? oh well yolo). So fair they have liked it, they are younger so the adjustment isn't as easy as i'd like. but the big one adjusted fine, she is excited to have a roommate. its the little one that is stealing my soul motn.
    My other option is if this one is a girl too to have the middle share with the baby. And my oldest keep her room. But if this one is a boy , we want him to have his own room. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• KDeolaKDeola member
    edited March 2017
    Since this is a stupid question thread, why can't I get a new ticker on????
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @canonmom413 if this one is a girl, i figure i want her to have her own room for a while anyways while she is a baby and bad sleeping patterns. I might juggle roommates around after that. i am scared of middle child syndrome with 3 girls (i am 1 of 3 girls) so depending on the situation, i may give #2 her own room haha. but either way boy or girl baby gets their own room for 2ish years.

Pregnancy Ticker

• KDeola said:
    Since this is a stupid question thread, why can't I get a new ticker on????
    @KDeola Don't use the BB Code, use the HTML code!
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • If this baby is a girl, she and my son will share for a few years. If this baby is a boy, they'll share until DS is a teenager. I want to keepy guest room as long as possible!
  • @jessafishy I just switched but still don't think it worked!  Clearly I'm technologically challenged.  Thanks for the tip though!

BabyFruit Ticker

• KDeola said:
    @jessafishy I just switched but still don't think it worked!  Clearly I'm technologically challenged.  Thanks for the tip though!

Do you see the button that looks like </>? Cut your HTML code, hit that button, and then paste it there. Then hit </> again to preview. 
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @jessafishy THANK YOU!!!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• What did you guys do about taking a newborn to the grocery store? I've seen people stick the carrier on the seat part of the cart but I've also read that it's dangerous to do that. Suggestions?

Also, is anybody else having a problem with TB constantly logging you out?! I've been having this problem all day. 
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @feeislove I would either wear her in a wrap/sling, or put her carrier in the big part of the cart, where the groceries go, which I felt was stable because it fit all the way in. I'd pack the food in around her or put it in the seat area or below.
    October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • @feeislove, I second what others have said. Before I was comfortable babywearing, I would stick the bucket seat in the big part of the shopping cart. Alternatively, I would bring the stroller. It had a big basket on the bottom. So I could fit most of my groceries in there. I usually just did a couple of smaller trips during the week rather than my usual one big trip. Once I was comfortable babywearing, it was a huge game changer for me! Also, if I needed to do a big shop, sometimes I would take DH with me. One of us would push the cart and the other would push the stroller. 
  • @feeislove definitely wearing baby is easiest. I wish I could still do that with DD sometimes lol (she's a terror at the grocery store). Also, it can be slightly overwhelming at first so definitely take advantage of shopping alone while someone watches baby OR look into grocery delivery (Safeway, Amazon does in some cities), or options where you order online and pick up. I did that at Fred Meyer (a Kroger store) ALL THE TIME. Totally worth the $5 or whatever the fee was.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hello ladies, what are your thoughts on bringing your newborn around during the holidays? Our due date is a month before Thanksgiving, and to me it seems too soon to be around our big families(especially DHs because people are always sick). 
    So I had an October baby back in 2012 and I'm going to probably be the weird one but we brought her everywhere and DH's grandfather passed away the week of Thanksgiving, she was in the hospital visiting him when he was sick (first and only great grandchild he knew) and she basically made the whole situation a little less sad for all involved. But- we have no small children in our family otherwise and she didn't get sick. Now after my 2nd preemie and now having 2 preschoolers I'm going to be hypervigilent about illness this fall especially since my 3 year old was hospitalized with RSV and is still having issues related to it this winter. Now I'm kind of scared to death of a sick infant..

• @mommac2017 I agree about the nursery thing. I'm probably a little biased but I was the mommy in the Mom/baby unit with no baby and it sucked majorly. I would've loved to just have her next to me, instead I had to fight for the ability to hold her 12 hours after delivery even though she was perfectly healthy and stable.

Also, something people might not mention but I always had a huge burst of adrenaline for a day or 2 after delivering and couldn't really sleep anyway, I delivered DD2 at 3 pm, took a nap that night from like 10-1 am, DH had gone home to be with DD1 since we didn't have a baby in the room anyway and they wouldn't let me hold her at that point (for no reason), and I wound up being up from like 1 am until I talked the doctor into discharging me around 11 am. 

Another thing, if you go into the hospital to deliver early or have some situation where you expect your child to go to the NICU, request a family member or close friend be available to be with you. I sent DH with DD2 to the NICU and then got to sit alone in the delivery room "recovering", not knowing what the hell was going on and all by myself when the hormones start crashing. Not pleasant. I have people on standby this time to come be with me if that were to happen again. 

• @ac1259, thank you for mentioning the hormones!!!

Something I wish someone had tried to at least somewhat prepare me for was the emotional roller coaster after birth! I'm sure every woman is different, but I was a bit of a mess (okay, a huge GIANT mess). And I felt horrible and a lot of guilt with my emotions. I remember crying to my sister "I shouldn't have done this. We shouldn't have left the hospital. I don't know how to take care of a baby!" It's funny now (kind of). But in that moment I felt horrible. 

So FTM's if you experience this, it is totally normal!!!!! 

Post partum depression is also normal, but something to take seriously. I experienced PPD and was in a lot of denial about it. Please don't feel any shame about admitting if you experience PPD. Talk to your doctor/SO/or anyone you can trust. 
  • Can you nurse and bottle-feed (breast milk) at the same time? Is that even possible?
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @feeislove My son was mostly breastfed while I was home with him on maternity leave. Occasionally he would have a bottle of breastmilk so my husband could feed him and I would rest. When DS started daycare, I still breastfed him in the morning, evening, and night. At daycare he received bottles of breastmilk. 

You'll figure out what works best for you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • feeislove said:
    Can you nurse and bottle-feed (breast milk) at the same time? Is that even possible?
    It's very much possible. My DD1 wouldn't take a bottle at all ( but I'm sure would if absolutely need be) but if I was anywhere to be found, she wouldn't take it. DD2 took one occasionally. But of course preferred me. This time around I'm praying baby will take both. I have such a busy schedule and it would make life so much easier to be able to have DH and friends help with feedings , but I'm going to breastfeeding first. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Y'all I just realized the stupidity of my question. Of COURSE you can do this because I have people here at my job who breast feed and obviously don't have their kids around to nurse during the day. My bad y'all. My mind set was more of my husband being able to feed the baby too. 
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @feeislove as someone else mentioned, you'll figure out what works for you.  I made milk, but not enough so I would go in and do what feeding I could, then my husband would go in, feed her a bottle (of formula), then change her and put her back to bed.  Was it how I had planned in my head? No, but I think it worked out.  I was able to get help with nighttime feedings (aka more sleep), my husband felt like he could help me more and DD never had a problem taking a bottle or the breast because she was used to both from the beginning.  You'll figure out your rhythm :smile:
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay ladies, STM here, but I wanted your opinions on your current LOs at home, and what was really nice to have completed by the time baby arrived.

Specifically, I'm wondering about transitioning from a crib to a toddler bed, or potty training, or other independent skills they can learn. It seems obvious to me that you'd want these things to be learned before the baby comes, if you're able to, but I'm wondering what your experiences have been??

Was it hard to make these transitions when you had a newborn around to care for? Or were you able to take it in stride and work around everyone's schedules? My LO is 18 mo now so potty training seems to be out of the question for me, but I'm wondering if I should get on her to move to a bed asap, or not. Thanks!!!
  • @ac1259, thank you for mentioning the hormones!!!

Something I wish someone had tried to at least somewhat prepare me for was the emotional roller coaster after birth! I'm sure every woman is different, but I was a bit of a mess (okay, a huge GIANT mess). And I felt horrible and a lot of guilt with my emotions. I remember crying to my sister "I shouldn't have done this. We shouldn't have left the hospital. I don't know how to take care of a baby!" It's funny now (kind of). But in that moment I felt horrible.
    Oh totally!  Me and DH had never really had a fight, afterwards though I had moments where I feel like I have never loved someone more and then I was screaming at him over nothing.  The crying over stupid crap is  real too.  Just imagine your emotions now x10! 
  • mrs_fogue said:
    @carries2018 forget preparing for labor I need to start preparing for that!  I did read a really great article when I was in that dark place and thinking that we ruined our marriage by having a baby and we'd never love each other again.  It was about the season of your marriage/relationship.  I think just knowing that while you're in the thick of it and nothing is going right and you literally hate your husband, that it is just a season and you will soon find your way out of it.  Knowing that there is an end is what eventually helped and what I hope to cling to this time.
    this was exactly it for me. i remember feeling out of love, and i didnt know how i was going to get it back. it literally took us almost a year. i just kept thinking, how can i live like this forever? and one night after the millionth fight about the same thing. it clicked, nothing was really all that different of what we said. but we heard each other, and a change was attempted on both sides. of course we still have our days/fights...but when we did come out of it, we were way stronger than ever. and the love was back. i was so surprised how quickly the love just came rushing back in.

Pregnancy Ticker