Infertility
Options

Moving to IUI - Advice

We officially have a plan in place!  Due to severe MFI that hasn't improved we are moving to IUI with donor sperm. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to discuss the IUI process with my doctor. I'm the type of person who usually doesn't have any questions while I'm there, but as soon as I get home I think of a ton.  Any advice? Any questions I should be sure to ask?  

Re: Moving to IUI - Advice

• Options
    @J1006 Good luck with your appointment!  For my IUI's the process has been pretty much the same each month just with different medications.  Ultrasound and bloodwork on day 3 of my cycle, then oral meds for a few days, then this month we added injections until my follicles were big enough.  The IUI itself was pretty simple, it took about an hour for them to wash and process the sample and then they insert the sperm - kinda like going for a pap smear only a little more uncomfortable.  Probably a few seconds of cramping but then thats it!  

As for questions - I'd just make sure you understand each medication your doctor is putting you on prior to the IUI and what days/doses you will be taking.  This cycle especially with multiple meds it was helpful for me to write down exactly what I was taking and when!  Oh and make room in your fridge for medication lol.  I had multiple boxes and my follistim pen kit in there.  

Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Options
    I would definitely make sure you will be monitored leading up to the IUI to make sure you are not being over stimulated by the meds or miss ovulation.  Sometimes they will just have you take OPK's and then bring you in when you get a positive rather than monitoring.  With that method I missed ovulation my first scheduled IUI.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @J1006 - congratulations re: moving forward!

I agree with @laurad75 - I'd specifically ask questions about monitoring. My last IUI cycle (with clomid) they didn't give me an u/s nor any testing until day 15, and by then my follicles were too big/"overmature". I had a BFN, and now I'm benched with cysts.

I wish I'd gone in at CD12 for an u/s. Next time. 
  • Options
    @j1006 congrats! That's so exciting.  I am about to have my first IUI (hopefully this weekend).  I agree with what the other girls said about monitoring.  Every month is so different and a simple day 12 ultrasound is helpful.  I was really afraid to give myself a trigger shot but it isn't bad at all.   
    • Me: 36 DH: 33
    • TTC since June 2016
    • Me: PCOS DH: Morphology 1%
    • 3 TI with Famera and trigger shots-BFN
    • 3 IUI's with Famera and trigger shots- BFN
    • IVF August 2017 25 eggs retrieved, 19 mature, 13 fertilized (ICSI), 5 frozen, 3 PGS normal 
    • FET November 2017 Transferred one 6 day blast (a little GIRL) BFP EDD 8/4/18

• Options
    J1006J1006 member
    Thanks for the advice! I will definitely keep those things in mind.
    @Irisheyes81 I too am nervous about injectables if I go that route. Not a fan of needles. Luckily my husband is in the medical field, so this is going to be his job :smile:  
  • Options
    @j1006 I was terrified of giving myself a shot. I haven't done fertility drugs by injection, just the HSG shot.  I picked it up the first time during my lunch hour and they said it needed to stay cold so I took it home to take it really fast and go back to work. I stood there in my bathroom giving myself a pep talk.  My dog was supposed to be supportive and was no help whatsoever.  Finally, I'm like, just do it and go back to work.  It was crazy. That's awesome that DH is in the medical field and can help you! It will all be great. No worries. 
    • Me: 36 DH: 33
    • TTC since June 2016
    • Me: PCOS DH: Morphology 1%
    • 3 TI with Famera and trigger shots-BFN
    • 3 IUI's with Famera and trigger shots- BFN
    • IVF August 2017 25 eggs retrieved, 19 mature, 13 fertilized (ICSI), 5 frozen, 3 PGS normal 
    • FET November 2017 Transferred one 6 day blast (a little GIRL) BFP EDD 8/4/18

• Options
    I was also very nervous for my first injectable and it was much easier than I anticipated.  Now that I'm doing IVF I'm a total pro.  You will be fine. 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Options
    @j1006 Good luck and congrats on your first IUI! Agree with all the other girls - make sure you're being monitored as you don't want to miss your peak time. You are your biggest advocate - don't forget that! I know the needles are scary at first, but don't worry. They really aren't bad and the biggest issue with them is psyching yourself out before hand.
    **TW**
    Me: 31, DH:33
    TTC since October 2015: MFI
    Summer 2016: 3 IUI's: BFN
    October 2016: Switched RE's and began IVF cycle 
    December 2016: Retrieved 13 eggs, 12 mature, 9 fertilized with ICSI. 5 day ET of 2 blasts with 4 frosites left. BFP!!!! EDD: 8/30/2017 
    August 25, 2017: It's a Girl!!
    April 12, 2019: FET, BFP!!! Baby BOY EDD: 12/29/2019
  • Options
    @j1006 Good luck and congrats on your first IUI! Agree with all the other girls - make sure you're being monitored as you don't want to miss your peak time. You are your biggest advocate - don't forget that! I know the needles are scary at first, but don't worry. They really aren't bad and the biggest issue with them is psyching yourself out before hand.

This x100 

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog