May 2017 Moms

Baby Gear and Baby Item Recomendations - attempt #2

Re: Baby Gear and Baby Item Recomendations - attempt #2

• @slowmo
    I posted about this awhile back, but I found the City Select Double used.  A mom in my friends' twin group was selling it.  It came with both seats and the glider board for $300.  DD will be almost 4 when LO is here, but she still uses the stroller during vacations, zoo trips, at the mall, etc.  I haven't taken it out as a single yet, but I really like it so far.  If you are ok w/ used equipment, maybe keep an eye out on BST groups?

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @WombThereItIs - I was always super jealous of my friends with Vistas because of the awesome storage! The only reason I'm hesitating on it now is the weight limit of second seat. I think it's 35lbs, and my son is already 30lb.

I checked out the Bravo for 2 and really liked a lot of stuff about it -- good fold and so light for a double! And I already have a Chicco Keyfit 30 carseat. The thing I didn't like was how the carseat was out of arm's reach when pushing the stroller.
  • Loading the player...
  • @RainyDays86 - Yep, the first link is the one I'm thinking about!
  • slowmo said:
    @WombThereItIs - I was always super jealous of my friends with Vistas because of the awesome storage! The only reason I'm hesitating on it now is the weight limit of second seat. I think it's 35lbs, and my son is already 30lb.

Oh shit I should double check that. My solidly built guy is already over 33....

Although I am kind of already locked in so *shrug*

May '17 labor memes
  • I'll use my stroller, riiiiight? I know I've asked like 10 times, but...yea.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe yes! At first you may just use it a little either for walks or to click the carseat into on trips out, wearing a newborn is sometimes easier. But once they can sit up and use the regular seat attachment (around 6 months) I used it all the time until just recently (2.5 years) when i use it a bit less because he can walk more reliably for longer periods of time.

May '17 labor memes
  • @nda_roxybabe yes!  We used ours all.the.time especially when I was home on maternity leave.  Long walks saved me from dying of boredom in the early days.  And then for trips to the store, the zoo, the airport, etc.  He likes to walk on walks so we don't use it as much but I anticipate with a baby we'll be using it more because it will be hard to push one and keep an eye on the other (who isn't super car savy yet at 2).
  • Albee baby gives a 20% discount every month that you can use on the city select.  Got to their website and they have free shipping too.  The code is the first 3 letters of the month and 20.  So this month is MAR20. 

We are going to use the Vista with the 2nd seat and we are also getting a peg perego book for two.  If you kids will be more than 2 years apart in age I recommend a side by side.  All side by sides now are narrow enough to get through doors because of US ADA standards and in many cases like the book for two they are lighter than the tandem doubles.  Its easier for older kids to get in and out and my son loves to take naps in the stroller still so we want something where both seats will get an optimal recline.

I'm ok with the vista rumble seat being 35lbs because the carseat can go either on the bottom or top and also we will prob use the bassinet on the bottom to go to the pool.  An infant insert can be used in the rumble seat as well.

****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @slowmo I have the city select and I LOVE it. It was a gift so I didn't have to pay that high price but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate. I got it when my first was born so I've used it for a single, double, and 2 days ago I bought the glider board attachment. It is super easy to get in and out of the trunk. I take the chairs out and collapse the main stroller and pile it in. No complaints whatsoever. 
    This stroller is what we registered for! We were afraid of the price, but when we did the price comparison, and knowing we want to have kids close together, we decided to pull the trigger. I'm so glad to hear this about it. 
  • @schnitz9 -- Thanks so much for the head's up on the coupon code! That's awesome. I also had no idea that website existed until I started reading through this thread.

@nda_roxybabe -- You'll definitely use your stroller in the beginning, especially with our babies coming at such a nice time of year. After that, it kind of depends on your lifestyle. Basically, if you like to take walks or live in a very walkable place, your stroller will get used. I underestimated how much I would use my stroller the first time around, which is why I didn't feel the need to invest in a nice one. I ended up taking tons of walks with my son, outside when it was nice and in the mall when it was cold. Even now that he's older, I still use the stroller because our favorite parks don't always have close parking. He's pretty rambunctious so the five-point restraint comes in handy when getting from point A to point B! ;)
  • @Schnitz9 thank you for that information! I've never found somewhere that lets you use a coupon on baby jogger! (other than the final completion discount)
  • @RainyDays86 yes, the first link is the one that I got. I am in love! 
  • skeetiedskeetied member
    edited March 2017
    I feel like I'm the only person in the world that despised the City Select.  I would definitely advise trying it (with weight in it) before you buy.  I found it horrific to steer and push over even tiny cracks in the sidewalk.  I thought it was an inline double thing, but we had a Vista before it and it still pushed and turned well with the second seat on it.  We replaced the CS with a gently used double BOB and I can't sing its praises enough.  We rarely take a double stroller out, though, and I wouldn't plan on taking the BOB.  It's  huge and heavy.  We use it constantly walking from our house, though.  When DS1 and DS2 were younger, we would frequently take two single strollers on family outings instead of dealing with a double.
    Feb 2012:  DS1 born 40w2d, 7 lb 11 oz, 20"
    May 2014:  DS2 born 40w3d, 10 lb, 23"

Due May 2017 with DD1!
  • skeetied said:
    I feel like I'm the only person in the world that despised the City Select.  I would definitely advise trying it (with weight in it) before you buy.  I found it horrific to steer and push over even tiny cracks in the sidewalk.  I thought it was an inline double thing, but we had a Vista before it and it still pushed and turned well with the second seat on it.  We replaced the CS with a gently used double BOB and I can't sing its praises enough.  We rarely take a double stroller out, though, and I wouldn't plan on taking the BOB.  It's  huge and heavy.  We use it constantly walking from our house, though.  When DS1 and DS2 were younger, we would frequently take two single strollers on family outings instead of dealing with a double.
    I should mention that we also have a double BOB. And for walks around the neighborhood and the lake and hikes and stuff we always take the BOB over the City Select. That said, I've used the city select at Disneyland for 12 hours with happy results. It does get harder to maneuver the more weight that it holds. But I find it so convenient that I don't have any complaints. Right now mine is holding 70+lbs of boys and I still love it. I don't know of anything to compare it to though. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • skeetied said:

A lot of people don't like the CS because of the heavy push with 2 kids.  I think its because the 2nd seat is directly over the front wheels.  This does allow the weight limit to be higher than the 2nd seat for the vista but def a heavier push. A side by side is so much easier in my opinion to push because of the weight is being more evenly distributed. I have a bugaboo donkey that I keep at my parents and that push in double mode is a dream.  Price is a bit high. $1350 new for a double.  Can find used for around $800.  But there's no way I would keep that in my car since it takes up the entire trunk and you have to take both seats off.
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • skeetied said:
    We have the CS from the twins, but I stopped using it shortly after we had to start transferring DS out of his car seat to the stroller for his torticollis.  For 2 kids we definitely prefer side by side strollers, I've never had an issue with the CS in single mode though besides it's almost as wide as my SBS and I forget about that.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thanks for all the good feedback on the City Select. I have a mom friend who has one and uses it as a double. I should ask if I can push it as a test! I also need to make sure it would fit in my trunk. Anything that doesn't is a no-go from the start.
  • Is there a benefit to getting a 3 sided changing pad vs a 2 sided?  
  • Any opinions on battery-powered bouncers (like fisher price) vs the ones that the baby learns to move themselves (like baby bjorn)?
  • Anyone have a specific brand and/or size of baby/toddler towels they love?

I didn't give it too much thought initially until DS was too long for all of the baby towels we had. Been searching around and the biggest I've seen so far is 40x40.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @mrsrep123 I like the Pottery Barn Kids towels! And you can get a kid size if you want to size up, they offer them in the hooded towels too! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • @hp_momma Oooh, didn't even look there. Thanks!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @mrsrep123 we also really like the pottery barn towels and I honestly don't think you need more than 1 or 2 (but I might be a minimalist). I always tell people to avoid the Target 3pk ones like the plague, I could not dislike them anymore.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @mrsrep123 My Mom and I were just researching this. She ended up ordering me a "Sweet William" one (hasn't come in yet) and this Petit Pehr one which was just so beautiful packaged and so soft!
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @mrsrep123 , we use the Carters beach towels with DS and they have been large enough/held up well for 2.5 years. They are just getting to the point where I probably need to replace them and we only have 3 in constant rotation.

I did buy some 3 Sprouts ones and a Copper Pearl one for this little lady (both on Amazon) and the quality and size seems good, but I won't know until I actually use them. I hate the tiny baby towels that are only good for the first few months...it's so annoying how small and flimsy they are. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @chickyclg @nda_roxybabe @Kipperoo thanks ladies, I'll definitely check out your suggestions. Yes, I despise the small baby towels yet I've been putting up with them for a year and a half now. I figured with the completion discount coupons I have, I'll toss those and get some fresh oversized ones!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• OMG PBK Icon bath wraps! Sold! Wrap is 50" wide x 25" high. Hood is 16"x8". Recommended for ages 3 and up (my son is in the 97%ile).

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I feel like I am the only one that switched to regular towels when baby outgrew the hooded ones. By like 9 months at the latest I just wrapped him up in one of mine. 

May '17 labor memes
  • I feel like I am the only one that switched to regular towels when baby outgrew the hooded ones. By like 9 months at the latest I just wrapped him up in one of mine. 
    Same
  • bacorrea said:
    I feel like I am the only one that switched to regular towels when baby outgrew the hooded ones. By like 9 months at the latest I just wrapped him up in one of mine. 
    Same

same here too. I actually never even used the hooded towels. I found them to be unnecessary
  • SKZWSKZW member
    Is there a benefit to getting a 3 sided changing pad vs a 2 sided?

SITDB:
    A few days late here, but what exactly is this?
  • @mrsrep123 I bought some of those and the baby ones but be aware that some aren't available right away. One is being shipping middle of June and the other the very end of June 
  • Kipperoo said:
    I totally don't think that the hooded towels are necessary. I could have just as easily switched DS to our towels, but I do sometimes bribe him to get out of the bath by letting him pick between being a shark boy and a crab pirate...lol...
    Yes this is the exact reason I need character towels! I did switch my girls to normal towels, but had my mom embroider mermaids on them (their bathroom is nautical theme). Whatever tricks work! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited March 2017
    Ok let's talk pacifiers! 

DD1 refused any sort of comfort measurement besides my boobs. DD2 was a finger sucker even though I tried and tried to switch her to a pacifier. I knew that a pacifier was an easier habit to break and unfortunately she refused and now I have a 3 year old finger sucker :expressionless:

So I would like to avoid a baby attached to my boob 24/7 and a finger sucker this go around. What pacifiers do you think are the best, work the best? What are you planning on getting? Also I think I was scared into not offering a pacifier right away because I didn't want to discourage from breastfeeding, did you offer a pacifier in the hospital? 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • @hp_momma DD wouldn't take a pacifier either and I did offer the pacifier in the hospital. I also exclusively pumped the first few weeks and DD latched on, I totally don't buy into nipple confusion.  
    I praying this kid will take a paci! I have a wubanub and a set of tommee tippee pacifiers I plan to try out. 
  • @hp_momma DD was also a boob-obsessed pacifier refuser, so I have no recommendations. I'm hoping this kid will take one. I gave DD a pacifier as we were waiting to check out of the hospital and got major judgment from a nurse. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @hp_momma Mam pacifiers are the hit at our house. We tried a few brands but that brand won by a landslide. The tiny newborn one was the only one he could keep in his mouth in the beginning. We started right when we got home, but did have issues with breast feeding (although I do not believe they were related in this case). We will be trying Mam binkies again. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used mam pacifiers as well. I gave my son one the day we got home from the hospital and he breastfed for a year. As he got older he would use any pacifier he could find but those are his favorite. I like that kind because they have good glow in the dark ones. He can easily find them at night . now, getting rid of the pacifier is going to be the challenge...