May 2017 Moms

Randoms and Questions 3.13 - 3.17

Re: Randoms and Questions 3.13 - 3.17

• Sigh, we're back to the great stroller debate in our house and IDK why, but it stresses me out! My stroller is on sale, H got the new job, we're good. Except he's all like, are you really going to use it? Do you really need an expensive stroller? I just don't see us using it a lot!
    Truth is, IDK how much we will use it? I am hoping to get out of the house more with a baby and do things like splash pads, play dates, children's museum, shopping, etc. but who knows if that will happen? I just want that stroller and I don't want a "cheap" one because I'm a brat.
    We had this talk once or twice last time about gear. My argument was we generally buy nice things and this seems like an odd time to go cheaper just because. This is one of those things where money does correlate with quality. A stroller is something you will use a lot and will likely use with future kids so you definitely get your money's worth.

This coming from a girl with 2 Uppababy strollers (Vista and a G Luxe) and a BOB.... I may have a shopping problem but I'm on your side!
    With DD we bought the Fast Action Fold Graco jogging travel system and we also bought this upgraded umbrella type stroller when she started walking. I loved some of the more expensive ones, but just in my mind could justify them even though we knew we would be using our stroller all the time. (that's my financial analyst side) We live in central Florida so we use our stroller ALL THE TIME (think Disney, universal, outlet malls, etc) and I will say that our travel system was awesome for the first year, after that the smaller the better so the nicer umbrella was all we used. Now if i was an avid runner, I would definitely get something like a BOB, but i'm not, we go for walks and use the stroller out and about each weekend.

Our jogger is still in excellent (basically brand new) condition and DD was born in 2013, so we'll be using it again with this baby. So not all cheaper options are poor quality.
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• SquirtgunSquirtgun member
    edited March 2017
    @WombThereItIs Love that answer! We both like investing in quality things. I'm going to feel guilty if it doesn't get used often, but.... :S 
    Have you seen resale value on the nicer strollers? It's usually pretty high! See if you can find a couple of older models of the one you like for sale used, and you'll get an idea of the kind of resale value yours will have when you're done with it. 

(Edited to say, because that should make you feel way less guilty, even though you shouldn't be feeling guilty in the first place  ;). ) 
  • Loading the player...
  • @nda_roxybabe I would splurge on the stroller before I did on any other baby gear item (except for maybe the car seat). We use/used ours all the time with DD who was born in winter in Pittsburgh. It's definitely nice to have a stroller you love if you plan to walk or even go to places like the zoo, museums, etc. Also, because we picked a quality stroller we don't have to replace it for kiddo #2. 
  • @Squirtgun It's a newer brand so I haven't seen it for resale anywhere here. I can get a used Bugaboo for fairly "cheap", which we've discussed. I just don't think we liked how those drove as well.

I'm thinking, H said I can get it, I should just do it. It'll make me happy and well, if it turns out we don't use it so much then that sucks, but it is what it is.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @Squirtgun It's a newer brand so I haven't seen it for resale anywhere here. I can get a used Bugaboo for fairly "cheap", which we've discussed. I just don't think we liked how those drove as well.

I'm thinking, H said I can get it, I should just do it. It'll make me happy and well, if it turns out we don't use it so much then that sucks, but it is what it is.
    Definitely get one that you like the handling of! We got a stroller simply because it was the cheaper option, and I ended up going back out after a few walks and buying the one that I liked anyway. It makes a lot of difference, especially if you're going to be walking longer distances or through crowds, to have a stroller you are very comfortable while pushing. 
  • @nda_roxybabe I vote for getting the good stroller as well. I've used ours plenty for walks and trips to the zoo. I also found it very useful for parties and get togethers. We tend to have birthday parties or events all summer long, many of which are outdoors. Not all places have changing tables, so the stroller provides a good alternative. We also use it for naps if we are out and about.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Sigh, we're back to the great stroller debate in our house and IDK why, but it stresses me out! My stroller is on sale, H got the new job, we're good. Except he's all like, are you really going to use it? Do you really need an expensive stroller? I just don't see us using it a lot!
    Truth is, IDK how much we will use it? I am hoping to get out of the house more with a baby and do things like splash pads, play dates, children's museum, shopping, etc. but who knows if that will happen? I just want that stroller and I don't want a "cheap" one because I'm a brat.
    We had this talk once or twice last time about gear. My argument was we generally buy nice things and this seems like an odd time to go cheaper just because. This is one of those things where money does correlate with quality. A stroller is something you will use a lot and will likely use with future kids so you definitely get your money's worth.

This coming from a girl with 2 Uppababy strollers (Vista and a G Luxe) and a BOB.... I may have a shopping problem but I'm on your side!
    With DD we bought the Fast Action Fold Graco jogging travel system and we also bought this upgraded umbrella type stroller when she started walking. I loved some of the more expensive ones, but just in my mind could justify them even though we knew we would be using our stroller all the time. (that's my financial analyst side) We live in central Florida so we use our stroller ALL THE TIME (think Disney, universal, outlet malls, etc) and I will say that our travel system was awesome for the first year, after that the smaller the better so the nicer umbrella was all we used. Now if i was an avid runner, I would definitely get something like a BOB, but i'm not, we go for walks and use the stroller out and about each weekend.

Our jogger is still in excellent (basically brand new) condition and DD was born in 2013, so we'll be using it again with this baby. So not all cheaper options are poor quality.
    I fricking love my Graco fast action stroller.  It's not the jogger, but it's 3 wheels.  I'll still likely use it as the single when needed and only used my City Select double when I have both kids.   Also love my Summer Infant umbrella.  @nda_roxybabe  I'd say PHX is a good place for a stroller.  It might be a little hot to be outside alot during your maternity leave, but consider the malls, markets, and any trips you  might take.  It's an essential for us.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I was hoping you'd chime in as I feel PHX is one of those more unique places for this sort of thing. Obviously a big city like SF or NYC would be a no brainer. I'm thinking it'll be cooler than baby wearing (my other alternative) during the heat.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I was hoping you'd chime in as I feel PHX is one of those more unique places for this sort of thing. Obviously a big city like SF or NYC would be a no brainer. I'm thinking it'll be cooler than baby wearing (my other alternative) during the heat.
    I do know some local families that never use a stroller and that seems so difficult to me. Who wants to wait for an 18 mo old to walk around the mall with you? My strollers have traveled with us all around the country on trips too.  I also know some moms that take strollers into stores like Target or the grocery store because it's just easier than using a cart.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • We got the BabyTrend Expedition travel system from Amazon. It's cheap and MUCH nicer than the Graco travel system I had before. The tires are like mountain bike tires and the handle has a nice grip on it and sits high. I'm tall at 5'9 1/2" and nothing is worse for me than a stroller that requires me to bend over to reach the handle. Back killer for sure. https://www.babytrend.com/travel_systems_jogger/TJ84A94A.html 

• I'm not sure how well these work, but its what I plan on buying @nda_roxybabe
  • @nda_roxybabe , what is the price difference is strollers between what you REALLY want and what you would have to settle for? Strollers are expensive, but you get what you pay for. The best "cheap" strollers are umbrella strollers and you can't use those when the baby is an infant. Cheap infant strollers tend to suck. I'm already bummed that I have to use my travel system stroller for the first few months while DD is tiny. It's a perfectly fine stroller, but I don't love it and I can't justify buying a new one because I know it's use would be short-lived before I put her in the umbrella stroller and this is our last baby. All to say, you should probably just go with the more expensive one that you love, especially if you are planning to have more children. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @kayemjay2, that hunk of ground meat is so random.  I have a mental image that is making me laugh more than I'd like to admit.  :D
  • @nda_roxybabe -- I didn't think I needed a really nice stroller the first time around, and now I'm kicking myself for not investing in one. I talked about this in the gear thread. Like others said, there is resale value in high-end strollers. So if you plan to use the nice stroller for at least two kids AND you could potentially sell it, the cost is not that bad. 
  • Idk if you're planning on having more kids @nda_roxybabe but I wish I could go back and buy a nicer stroller that has the option to add a second seat. I bought a whole new stroller this time around. I would definitely buy whatever stroller you want. They are great investments! 
  • @Kipperoo This stroller I want is $730 right now. It includes the bassinet I plan to use for the first few months in our room for baby to sleep in (approved for overnight sleep).
    If I settle for something less I have no idea what It'd be because I'm a stubborn brat and cant see myself settling for anything right now :P There are some Bugaboos on CL right now for about $200-400. I am not sure what year they are though and would obviously need to go see them for condition whatnot
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @KMD1106 Not often to the bladder, mostly ribs. Baby must have my bony elbows because I get some seriously painful jabs!
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @ShadeofGreen816 I agree. It makes me very sad that we're seriously considering me taking only 6 weeks off instead of 8 because I'll have eaten up all my STD and PTO. Everyone at work has asked how much time I'm taking and when I say 6-8 weeks they all seem shocked and say "Are you sure? Thats it? You dont want more?" Oh no, I'd love more time, but getting paid is kind of important too.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe like others have said, I wish I had invested in a better stroller the first time around. Mainly one that could later be used as a double. I got a pretty good deal on a new City Select double around Christmas and I love it. We are planning on having one more kiddo, so I thought it was a good investment. 
  • In regards to strollers, just my two cents for what we're doing. I put a cheapo stroller on our registry ($60 Graco LiteRider Click Connect) that the infant car seat can click into. It's pretty basic, but will serve the purpose of a simple umbrella stroller that travels easily. I want to wait to see how often we'll actually be using a stroller before making a big investment on a nicer one. But, if we do find that we want one that's bigger or more maneuverable or more fit for gravel etc, I have no problem dropping some decent money on one that fits that purpose (probably one that can be a double for the future).
  • We use our stroller very often...walks around the neighborhood, mall trips, zoo, paved trails, fairs, outdoor gatherings...IMO it's definitely worth it to invest in a good one. I had a Chicco single for DD and liked it. I'm planning on getting Chicco Bravo for 2 for this summer. 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Congratulations @SJsMommy!  Hope you and the girls continue to do well!!

@nda_roxybabe it seems like you're really into the stroller and now that DH  has a job in the works I totally think you should go for it!  It's not like you're buying it on a whim.  You've been planning for it and are really looking forward to it.  Treat yo'self!

@KMD1106 I've had bladder kicks that led to peeing!  It's only happened a few times and mostly at work when I have to pick between using the restroom and getting a drink of water. 
  • @nda_roxybabe , I'm totally talking out of both sides of my mouth right now (after saying that I wish I would have bought a nicer stroller the first go around), but with my 2.5 yo DS now, we very, very rarely use the stroller. And really haven't for the past year. He is in daycare 5 days/week, so it would really just be the weekend that we would potentially be using it. We do use it for things like the zoo, but when we walk to the park, he generally likes other methods of transportation (a little push bike, his scooter, or just walking). I'd say we use it MAYBE once a month now, but it will obviously vary from family to family...just trying to complicate things a little for you, haha...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • bubsaliciousbubsalicious member
    edited March 2017
    Edited: TB is playing games with my eyes....I triple checked this wouldn't be a double post and I was lied to!
  • In regards to how much you will use the stroller, I think it depends on your lifestyle. If you are a SAHM you most likely will use the stroller every day. I took DD and the dogs on hour long walks everyday (it helped me lose 40lbs!). I also walked to the park and put DD in the stroller. I use the stroller at the mall or even if I just need a couple of things from the grocery store. I also fly a handful of times a year. Also the zoo, aquarium, etc. There is also a work out class called "Stroller Strides" at most gyms/cities. I can see if you are a working throughout the week and prefer to spend your weekends at home or even if you're a SAHM that prefers to stay at home not using the stroller as much, but I mean doesn't everybody go to the zoo? I think as kids get older you use the stroller less and less but that's with every baby item. 
  • mmk, so twice now I've seen an infant/bucket car seat referred to as a "pumpkin seat". The first time I just thought the person was weird. Now I searched it and it looked like it may be a MO/IL/ Midwest regional thing. Do any of you call it a pumpkin seat?
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Random PSA - if anyone is flying Southwest in the next few weeks, pregnant ladies quality for preboarding! 
  • mmk, so twice now I've seen an infant/bucket car seat referred to as a "pumpkin seat". The first time I just thought the person was weird. Now I searched it and it looked like it may be a MO/IL/ Midwest regional thing. Do any of you call it a pumpkin seat?
    I've never heard of this! 
  • MTB16MTB16 member
    @nda_roxybabe I'd say grab your stroller, especially if it's on sale for $730, that doesn't seem extreme to me at all.  (says the girl with the $900 uppababy vista upstairs.....)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @llenadevida900 what! How did I not know this? I just flew two round trip vacations with southwest!
  • Re: Strollers.

We have the Bob Revolution and love it.  You can buy an adapter to make it compatible with Britax infant carrier.  LO is 2.5 and we still use it regularly.  It's great for outdoors, all terrain or pavement.  It's also good for the mall. I get some of my best shopping done when my little guys konks out and I recline the seat.