November 2017 Moms

FTM questions for STMs 3/11

Re: FTM questions for STMs 3/11

• @DuchessOfCambridge I know every practice is different, but with DD, they printed out a picture for me at 9 weeks with the little portable US, and at the 20 week scan in Radiology, they gave me a disc with several photos and a few short video clips of her moving around. 
  • Yeah. Practices are very different, it makes it hard to say. Mine has both types on wheels so they do an abdominal one first at the 8 week, and although I haven't needed a transvag one in that appointment, they have it ready to go as well just in case. I get a few pictures printed and then the pictures and recording of hb on a disc at the first appt. and then a lot of pictures and maybe a short little video of the scan at the 20 week anatomy scan. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @kissthesky32 @gipfish @kschref! I trust the office to know what they're doing, my main concern was that I hadn't heard of a bedside ultrasound and only just recently learned of transvaginal to begin with...and I wanted to be sure I'll get pictures :)

• You'll definitely get at least 1 picture, @DuchessOfCambridge! When they do the heartbeat, use the video on your phone to record the picture and sound. It's really nice to be able to walk around with it and watch/listen whenever you want.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @kissthesky32 my ob office also has transvaginal ultrasounds in the exam rooms
  • edited March 2017
    @ArtificialRed The snoogle is a godsend. Just get one. You won't regret it.
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Ya everywhere is different.  My dr. Has vaginal and abdominal in the office.  I had a vaginal at my 8 week u/s last time and anticipating it this time too
  • @ebelknap and @pawcall that totally happened to me during my pregnancy that I had bad morning sickness.  Be careful not to overdo it on those days you actually feel good and have energy though!  I'd feel amazing and like I could do everything, and then I'd be completely exhausted and nauseated again.  

• My OB does not give a picture at the first ultrasound.  :(:(   I snapped a picture of the screen on my phone last time though!

• @TallMomma29 I didn't get one at my appt on Monday :disappointed: I mean, all that you could see was a little dot, but still. 

PS how tall are you? 

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!

• Dentist appts while pregnant, yay or nay? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kissthesky32kissthesky32 member
    edited March 2017
    @jess0211 Yup! Just let them know, so they don't do X-rays. If you have bad nausea, I'd wait. I think 2nd tri is the ideal time to do them - no nausea (hopefully) and not too uncomfortable to lay one your back in the chair while they do the cleaning. 

ETA - I have one scheduled in June

• Yay! I have one scheduled in July. 

• I just got an email reminder for a dentist appointment on Monday. I've been debating if I think I could handle it, or if I should just reschedule. 

• @jess0211 totally fine! Your gums might just bleed a little more than usual.
  • TallMomma29TallMomma29 member
    edited March 2017
    @elsieisamoocow I'm just shy of 6'4" so suuuper tall!  :)  

ETA: also, I am 32 not 29... I thought I was 29 when I had my first (and made this account) but I was actually 30.  Haha

• @slaven I also have a couple pairs of black Pea in the Pod maternity pants that I wear to work. I have a decent pair from Target too. I wear maternity tanks or t shirts under a cardigan most of the time, but do have a few nicer and more work-friendly maternity tops from Pea in the Pod that I use when meeting with more formal clients. I have two longer blazers that are from normal suits that I used all of my other pregnancies. They only look weird at the way end, when you're super huge, and nobody cares at that point - they're all staring at your belly instead of your clothes.

Hit up the baby-specific consignment stores around you - they usually have decent maternity sections and the clothes are SO much less expensive.
    I did the same as others. I have a black pair of skinny jeans and a pair of white and black ankle dress pants, and a lot of dresses.  I didn't buy any new blazers or cardigans. I just wore all of my non-preggo stuff. As for shoes, everyone is different.  Some people swell and others do not.  
  • @elsieisamoocow I'm just shy of 6'4" so suuuper tall!  :)  

ETA: also, I am 32 not 29... I thought I was 29 when I had my first (and made this account) but I was actually 30.  Haha
    Wowwwwwww and I thought I was tall at 5'10" haha! That's awesome. 

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11

• @jess0211 Cleanings and flossing while pregnant are important. My insurance actually gives an extra cleaning for the year when you are pregnant, instead of the regular 2. You're more likely to get gingivitis which can cause pregnancy complications and preterm labor. Of course like PPs said, first tri nausea may not make it the best time. 

https://www.therabreath.com/pregnancy-gingivitis.html

Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @slaven thanks! I will need to check my insurance to see if they allow for an extrs cleaning too

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @slaven thanks again! I just checked and mine offers an extra cleaning too! I wouldn't have even known!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • As far as the dentist, it's super important to go. But don't wait too long in the second trimester to go. A common pregnancy problem is an extra sensitive gag reflex. I could barely brush my teeth last pregnancy. 
  • @jess0211 How sad is it that I looked into it like 6 months ago while TTC haha
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @slaven lol, I looked into all the medical insurance stuff when we started ttc but never even considered the dental 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How long would you say it took you to feel somewhat normal/comfortable after giving birth? By comfortable I mean able to wear pants and walk around without too much discomfort and just sort of be a somewhat normal person again?

TMI:

I'd never been with anyone until I got married and I'm honestly not a huge fan of it, I find it pretty painful. TTC made it a little better since we had to so often but more often than not, I'd be out of commission for about an hour afterwards, just laying down in pain not wanting to move. Because of that, I'm extra terrified of how painful post-delivery is going to be.

• @DuchessOfCambridge have you talked with your doctor about sex being painful? That would be my first step. When you have your first ob appointment I would mention that and ask what that means for you with a vaginal delivery. It may be unrelated or it may not be.
    As to your question, I had an episiotomy and stitches and was sore for probably a week after. Nothing ibuprofen didn't cover, though. It really depends on your delivery and your body.
    Definitely discuss your concerns with your ob!
  • @heatherdubrow I have, and she said it was just a getting used to it and stretching out kind of thing, as well as me needing to relax. I'll definitely bring it up with my OB in terms of delivery! I'd really prefer not to have a c-section.

• I'm overall a pretty tiny person and I gave birth to an almost nine pound baby vaginally. I had some tearing, but I wasn't sore long. I had too much else going on to worry about that, tbh. I had a lot more pain from breastfeeding (hire a good lactation consultant, worth every penny!!) than the stitches. I only did a couple sitz baths and wasn't using the spray bottle instead of wiping for very long. Sex was different but okay with lots of lube. And at some point sex really became even better than it was before baby. Maybe you'll find that true too. 

• TallMomma29TallMomma29 member
    edited March 2017
    @DuchessOfCambridge with my first it took about a week (and it was a pretty bad week because I had a tear and stitches and I didn't take it easy which made it worse), but the second time around I had no tearing and I felt fine pretty much immediately after!  (Maybe a day or two).  

Luckily when it comes to sex afterward, your OB will give you as much time as you need so even after the 6 week mark where most people are cleared for sex, you can tell your DH that you haven't been cleared yet!  ;-)  Many of my friends have waited months before DTD again after baby.

I always wanted to be 5'10 @elsieisamoocow!

• Another question, though I still am curious for more opinions on my first about post birth recovery. I'm a little nervous about keeping baby warm in case we end up in kind of an old building. Two solutions I've thought of so far are a space heater or I've seen electric mattress pads specially made for cribs that the baby sleeps on top of, no extra blankets or anything that shouldn't be in there. Thoughts on these? Should I just be using warm flannel sheets instead? I want baby to be warm but not too warm!

• @DuchessOfCambridge I'm sure the two options are fine but I worry too much so I've never done either.  Fleece pajamas will help them keep warm and the sleep sack is amazing for keeping them warm without a blanket!

• mispanda said:
    @DuchessOfCambridge I'm sure the two options are fine but I worry too much so I've never done either.  Fleece pajamas will help them keep warm and the sleep sack is amazing for keeping them warm without a blanket!

This. My first was a January baby and it was freezing. I put her in socks and a onesie with footie fleece jammies over them and a sleep sack. She was totally fine. 

• @mispanda @kissthesky32 perfect, question answered! Much prefer that than being nervous about a heated mattress or a space heater.

• @kissthesky32 my first was a January baby too!  

Plus depending on baby they might like to be swaddled for a long time.  I've learned every baby is different in the swaddle department.

• @mispanda Which year? Mine is 2013. 

And yes about the swaddle. Both of mine liked it for a while, so she was wrapped in that too. We used the A&A swaddles though, so not a lot of added warmth since they're so thin. 

• How long would you say it took you to feel somewhat normal/comfortable after giving birth? By comfortable I mean able to wear pants and walk around without too much discomfort and just sort of be a somewhat normal person again?

I had a vaginal birth and quite a bit of tearing, which was definitely uncomfortable to say the least, but I still took my son out to Walmart (we needed preemie sized clothes) and then out to lunch the day we came home from the hospital.  The only thing that was seriously rough for the first few days was going to the bathroom.  I didn't want to push too hard to poop, because of my stitches, and I could only kind of halfheartedly pat things dry - which doesn't feel like enough when you're bleeding out a murder scene.  That was really only the first few days for me, the bleeding slowed down and I felt like a human being within a week of giving birth.
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Another question, though I still am curious for more opinions on my first about post birth recovery. I'm a little nervous about keeping baby warm in case we end up in kind of an old building. Two solutions I've thought of so far are a space heater or I've seen electric mattress pads specially made for cribs that the baby sleeps on top of, no extra blankets or anything that shouldn't be in there. Thoughts on these? Should I just be using warm flannel sheets instead? I want baby to be warm but not too warm!
    Fleece pj's and/or a wearable fleece blanket (sleep sack) would be the best options.
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• @DuchessOfCambridge definitely avoid any kind of heated mattress. They have adorable sleep sacks in various weights that you can buy. Its basically a wearable blanket. It doesn't obstruct breathing because it is zipped around their body. My second child lived in sleep sacks for a long time. 
  • @DuchessOfCambridge definitely avoid any kind of heated mattress. They have adorable sleep sacks in various weights that you can buy. Its basically a wearable blanket. It doesn't obstruct breathing because it is zipped around their body. My second child lived in sleep sacks for a long time. 
    My second is still living in sleep sacks. They have the added bonus of making the kid unable to climb out of the crib

• My second is still living in sleep sacks. They have the added bonus of making the kid unable to climb out of the crib
    THHIIISSS!!!!!