July 2017 Moms

Unpopular Opinions Thursday 3-16-17

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thursday 3-16-17

• MrsLa3 said:
    I love pineapple! Raspberries on the other hand....eww.
    Same. I just can't get behind eating seeds. The texture kills me
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• abmommy15 said:
    Being pregnant does not automatically entitle you to park in the new and expectant mothers parking spaces. If you have some kind of complication, ultra swollen etc then park there but if you are taking a spot close to the door just because you can then get over yourself and walk a few extra feet so the space is available for someone who really needs it.  
    Tell this to my DH!!! When I was like 12 weeks he's asking "where's the expectant mothers spot?" I was like uhh I'm pretty sure I'm capable of walking from wherever you decide to park!?
  • Loading the player...

• abmommy15 said:
    Being pregnant does not automatically entitle you to park in the new and expectant mothers parking spaces. If you have some kind of complication, ultra swollen etc then park there but if you are taking a spot close to the door just because you can then get over yourself and walk a few extra feet so the space is available for someone who really needs it.  
    See, this is me. At the mall/grocery store/wherever. I'm almost always out with my 2 and 3 year old, and if I can park in that super close "expecting moms" spot, you bet your ass I will. Lazy? Maybe. It's just way more convenient for me to wrangle them 20 feet to the door vs 200. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Ew pineapple. And mango. Blech. 

I had an UO last night that I was like oooo can't wait to use it tomorrow. Alas, I've forgotten. Must not have been that good. 

I get some "cravings" that are not intense cravings the way some women describe, but normal "I'm in the mood for" sort of thing. But I don't think it's a crock. I just assume it's one of those every pregnant lady is different situations. 

BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• I think cravings can indicate a nutritional deficiency in a pregnant woman. For instance, I didn't eat beef for over 10 years (or any red meat) until I got pregnant. The past few months I've craved hamburgers and anything with ground beef, which I found very strange, until my midwife told me I'm extremely anemic and am likely craving the iron. 

Some women apparently crave weird non-food items like dirt and chalk. Or women that voluntarily drink pickle juice, I can't imagine why they'd want to do that unless it was a legitimate craving. 
  • I'll take it one step further with the pineapple talk - pineapple is absolutely disgusting. I HATE it. Peaches too, but slightly less than my intense hatred of pineapple. 
    Nooo. Even peaches?... I can't imagine anyone hating pineapple and peaches!... 

+1 pineapple in Hawaii was divine and coconut was the best ever never knew coconut could be so yummy and fruity... iv been craving a pina colada since the very beginning of my pregnancy so yeah cravings are real but I have to agree they are tolerable. Aversions are not tolerable. 
  • So many strong opinions on fruit! I love every fruit that everyone has mentioned. The only fruit that I can't stand is papaya. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • GreenBean said:
    So many strong opinions on fruit! I love every fruit that everyone has mentioned. The only fruit that I can't stand is papaya. 
    Oh that's another one! Ew! 

•  It sounds odd, but a piece of fresh pineapple on a stick, in the heat of August, was a thing of true beauty.
    Well I guess I've found what I'll be eating to stay cool this summer.

Only fruits I don't like are cantaloupe and honeydew. It annoys me how they always make up the bulk of already overpriced fruit cups. Grr.

Also, stay away from my raspberries. (Looking at you, @MrsLa3! I thought we were friends?!)
  • I love all fruit. Except for pears. Pears are gross. I am always very sad when I see a nice-looking salad or dish on a menu, only for it to be ruined by pears.
  • oheliza44 said:
     It sounds odd, but a piece of fresh pineapple on a stick, in the heat of August, was a thing of true beauty.
    Well I guess I've found what I'll be eating to stay cool this summer.

Only fruits I don't like are cantaloupe and honeydew. It annoys me how they always make up the bulk of already overpriced fruit cups. Grr.

Also, stay away from my raspberries. (Looking at you, @MrsLa3! I thought we were friends?!)
    This.  I rarely get a cantaloupe or honeydew that is sweet enough for my liking so overall I can't stand it and they put it in EVERYTHING.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • CPR79 said:
    Pineapple (or any other fruit) and pickles don't belong on pizza. (Unless you make one of those "fruit pizzas with a sugar cookie as a dough)
    Ok, pineapple on a pizza I get (and actually like), but pickles?? I've never heard of pickles on pizza!  

Maybe it's local to me, but a couple places here have them on pizzas, or as an option to add to yours. 

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
    2 Rainbow DDs L-10/26/10 and A-03/27/14
    2 Angels- 10/26/09 and 02/03/15
    Surprise BFP on 10/25/16!!! Baby Firecracker is due on 07/02/17! 
  • @oheliza44 I love cantaloupe too! The only thing saving this friendship is the love of crawfish.
  • How can anyone dislike pears raspberries and papaya. 
    Bananas make me sad though. I don't enjoy eating them at all.
    You can add me to the Not Interested in melons, honey dew cantaloupe group. @oheliza44
  • Loooove edible arrangements but @AdaByron has a valid point about all the fruit being touched... I hadn't really thought about that before.  But I do hate honeydew. Yuck.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MrsLa3 at least we have that! And king cake! 
  • King cake oh my goodness. That sounds sooo good right now.

Image result for DROOLING GIF

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • CPR79CPR79 member
    BusyZee said:
    How can anyone dislike pears raspberries and papaya. 
    Bananas make me sad though. I don't enjoy eating them at all.
    You can add me to the Not Interested in melons, honey dew cantaloupe group. @oheliza44
    I don't like raspberries but I do like strawberries so it's not about t@oheliza44

DH doesn't like bananas either, which is crazy to me! I used to eat a banana a day, but in the beginning of pregnancy they made me sick and now they give me heartburn which is sad. 
  • Pickles?? I am from one of the pizza capitals of the US (and lets be honest, the world) Pickles on pizza is blasphemy and those people need a good talking to. Pineapple however, is amazing and whoever said it isn't is wrong. 

As for the rest of the the fruit world, the longer I'm a vegan the more I love all fruits and vegetables. I can't really think of something that I won't eat. 

Re: parking spots: My parents tried to park there with me when I was like 6 weeks, and I was like, come on dudes, I don't need that yet. I'm not gonna judge anyone who does use it, but I'm reserving my use of it for when I'm ginormous and walking is like running a marathon. Until then, I don't need it, and would rather squeeze in the little bit of extra exercise from a space farther down. I'm hoping that attitude continues once the baby is here, but I suppose (like almost everything being a FTM) we'll see. 

Cravings are real, at least for me. I was eating WFPB (think if you can tell what plant it came from, I ate it. Otherwise, mostly not) pre-pregnancy. Not as much out of choice as it was a taste and makes me feel great thing. I didn't even want the other food. I spent the first three months or pregnancy eating nothing but processed foods because it's all I could stomach. MS finally broke, and I can eat like a fairly normal person again, but that hasn't stopped the craving entirely. And occasionally I'll want something, and I just can't stop thinking about it until I eat it. Stuff that normally I wouldn't even want anyways, like potato chips. I've tried to ignore them, it just doesn't work out. It's just another one of those pregnancy things. Some women have them, some don't. Some people definitely use it as an excuse to indulge when they normally wouldn't, but that's not always the case. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • I LOVE parking in the expectant mothers spot. We have one at work (and I'm the only expectant mother) so I have parked in it every day since I told my boss. 

I sometimes/often do it at the grocery store too. I've seen plenty of people who are decidedly not pregnant and don't have kids with them (like idk, men, able bodied older women over 50yo, etc) parking in the spots so I don't feel bad about it at all. Our normal grocery has four spots so rarely are they all filled. But if DH is driving or with me he gets embarrassed about it. 

Parking in the pregnancy spot is the best thing about being pregnant ... that and not having periods (oh and getting a baby I guess?) but trust me it's in the top 3.

• abmommy15 said:
    See, this is me. At the mall/grocery store/wherever. I'm almost always out with my 2 and 3 year old, and if I can park in that super close "expecting moms" spot, you bet your ass I will. Lazy? Maybe. It's just way more convenient for me to wrangle them 20 feet to the door vs 200. 
    Trying to keep a 2 and 3 year old alive in a parking lot is totally a reason to park in those spots.  I'm more referring to the pregnant women shopping without kids who just don't want to walk across the parking lot.  
  • Fruit - I love all the fruit! I want it to really be in season already. Will agree that my least fav is Honeydew. I have a coworker that hates all fruit and I can't believe him.

Pizza - I'm in the camp of just give me fresh sauce, cheese and pepperoni on my pizza!
  • Oh I remembered my UO!
    It's definitely because I'm a SAHM so doesn't affect me as much as it would a working mom but I don't mind DST in the slightest. It's an hour. Might take a few days but then you adjust. People make too big a deal out of it me thinks. 

• LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited March 2017

abmommy15 said:
    I will never forget being 25 weeks pregnant, and miserable feeling on the inside, parking in one of these spots...and some 'more obviously pregnant' women were practically killing me with their eyes. So rude! I don't have to explain my medical history to you. And just because someone looks 'fine' doesn't mean they are. If ones available I park innit because I am pregnant! LOL It's my right. I look at it as 'first come, first serve'. 

ETA: with my first, at 25 weeks I didn't even look pregnant....but I was over half way! You can't see everything about someone with your eyes. 
  • I just remembered that my husband parked in a pregnant person spot a few weeks ago and I just looked at him. Yes I'm pregnant, but I have no problems moving around!
  • One of my favorite things about Hawaii: no DST.  I used to hate it so much. 

One of my other favorite things here: local papaya. A fresh local papaya is nothing like the store bought ones I grew up with. So sweet and juicy. 
  • Yeah I figured working moms would disagree lol. And I understand. But I definitely don't get when other SAHMs who make like it's the end of the world. Or those without kids. I don't deny that it's inconvenient but just not the craziness people make it out to be. But yeah definitely UO among IRL friends and family too. 

• @yellow1daisy DST hasn't messed with our schedule at all, but I'm also a SAHM.  My biggest issue is wanting to put myself to bed at 7pm and it's still light outside?!?! LOL 
  • I'm a working mom and I'm with you @yellow1daisy. It was my UO last week. It's an hour and people act like it's the end of the world. DD has not acted any different or changed her schedule at all. 
    RE: parking in expectant mother parking. If you're expecting, you get to park there. Period. But if you're not showing, I might side eye a little. I would be more likely to use it now pregnant with a toddler. I think there should be "moms with young kids" parking spots. But I have no issues while pregnant and figure there's someone who needs it more.
  • My church has spots for seniors and parents with young kids,  but not expectant mother spots. It only bothers me because the stairs from the upper lot is not particularly safe (stone steps with some wobbly stones). 

That said, I've seen people without kids and are not seniors park in those spots. I side eye those people but they clearly couldn't care less or they wouldn't park there in the first place. 
  • lol we are night owls in this house. And late risers @LoveLee85

The pediatrician actually flagged that she was 'concerned' about my daughters sleep this past week because of the late schedule she's on (she frequently is up until 12 or 1 am). But she gets 12-14 hours a day and is generally happy so I don't see what's so concerning about it lol. Whatevs. 

Anyway don't want to derail. Must have missed your UO last week @LuLiLaEv

• UO: I really dislike Lin-Manuel Miranda. He looks whiny and annoying. I think the broadway show Hamilton is awesome, but not Lin-Manuel. I have a friend who is obsessed with him and keeps posting on FB about him...it annoys me. Illogical I know, but I just don't see the appeal at all. 
  • @LuLiLaEv It's great that it hasn't messed with your child, but it has mine. And it's messed with my sleep schedule. It seems to screw me personally up more as I get older. I'm 30 now and I'm officially to the age apparently where any little thing screws up my sleep. Apparently my DD inherited this fun little nugget too. So while it doesn't mess with you or your family, it does mess with mine and I'm not the only one I know that feels this way. I don't understand why we have to keep going back and forth with the time in today's society anyway. Now that we've moved to DST, we need to leave it there and leave it alone. 
  • LuLiLaEvLuLiLaEv member
    edited March 2017

@PurplePoppy424 Oh, I'm all for doing away with changing the time back and forth. I just think unless you live such a strict schedule that you go to bed at the exact same time every single day and sleep for the exact same amount of time every night, an hour shouldn't be that difficult to adjust to. I sleep in every Saturday and stay up later every weekend, it doesn't mess me up to the point I complain about it for weeks. (Not saying you personally, I'm referring to the people I know that do and were talking about in my UO last week) People travel to different time zones, deal with jet lag etc and make less commotion than the time change twice a year. That's all I'm saying.

Edit: Fix tag

• nikkiandchrisnikkiandchris member
    edited March 2017
    Well. Now I'm on the hunt for pickle pizza. And my cravings are worse because my child is a PITA and an hour difference means she's up all night like a newborn.

and there I think I've hit most of the UOs lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker