July 2017 Moms

All About Breast Pumps

Re: All About Breast Pumps

• edited March 2017
    @manillabar I didn't have the same brand but mine had adapters to pump directly into the bags.  Definitely do that if you can!  Transferring from bottle to bag or vice versa can be tricky and you DO NOT WANT TO SPILL THE LIQUID GOLD!

ETA- when I would transfer from bag to bottle, I'd cut the top off of the bag to make it easier to pour.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had the Spectra with my son and will want another this time around. @manillabar, not a stupid question, but when you see the pump, it becomes obvious. You attach the bottles to the flanges, pump into the bottles, and then put into the storage bags to freeze. Make sure you label and date them and store them as flat as possible in the freezer (makes for easier management later, I promise).

My routine was to pump a bottle at night before I went to bed. I had an extremely strong letdown and an over supply, so one 20 minute pumping session would yield between 10 and 16 ounces of milk (that's a lot). I would cap the bottle and leave it in the fridge. If it was my husband's night to feed the baby, he'd get up and give him that pumped bottle. If it was my turn, I fed from the breast and bagged and froze the bottle. Doing that allowed me to lid a stash of about 350 ozs in maybe a month. It was a system that worked well for us.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @OperaSingerMommy and @ktewart... so much to learn about this stuff!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @Dcwtada, loving the soda box suggestion!
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I never even thought of that @Dcwtada! The drink container is a crazy good idea!
  • I definitely recommend finding flat pump bags. The medela bags do not freeze flat and took up tons of space. I switched to the lansinoh bags had less bags break and they froze flat taking up less space. I freeze in an open container. So I can stack the older milk to the front and newer milk to the back. I used the soda box for awhile but found it more difficult to put new milk behind old milk. 
  • I used lansinoh and nuk bags, found them comparable and just used whatever was on sale on Amazon. I also put like 10 at a time by date into a freezer bag after they were frozen and tossed it in the deep freezer...definitely not a great way of organization because then I'd be digging trying to find the earliest. Your guys suggestions sound much better!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Can you use one brand's bags with a different brand of pump?
  • So much gold in these tips! Thanks everyone!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• One random thought I had- milk is very fatty- remember that as you transfer from refrigerated bag/bottle to feeding bottle. If you don't warm it up a little bit the fat sticks to the side of your original container ad you lose what fills the tummy and they are hungry for me a lot faster than usual- I learned that the hard way!

I also pumped into bottles. When DD was in daycare and I was pumping I had 2 sets of daycare bottles. The set she had with her and the set I would transfer into after every pump. This allowed me to clean less and transfer less. 

Also- for breastfed babies, I was surprise by the fact that they eat so little per serving at first. I would put 4 Oz in a bag but she would only eat 2 so I wasted some of the liquid gold. Make sure you freeze into different sizes, not just the max the bag will hold.
  • lamphelelamphele member
    edited March 2017
    My tips aren't  about the actual pump, but the pumping process and storage. 

1. After pumping at work,  I would store my pump parts in a bag in the fridge instead of washing after each use.  I would wash them when i got home.  It saved me a few minutes of time at each pumping session and the cool flanges felt good on sore breasts. 

2. I would lay the milk bags flat  when freezing them then I stored them in a gift bag in the freezer.  I cut a slit in the bottom side of the gift bag so that I could load the newer milk into the top of the bag and pull the older milk out of the bottom of the bag through the slit.  

3. If you have a surplus of milk and want to help others who are struggling to produce (or if you are struggling to produce and are wanting donated milk)  Human Milk 4 Human Babies is a great resource and there are Facebook pages for each state. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • With my first pregnancy a pump was not covered (Military insurance just started it recently) and I went with the Medela but ended up trying the Spectra as well and hands down I liked it more. I am getting a Spectra this time as well and have heard from a lot of mom's recently that they love it as well. 

I really liked the Target brand bags but if your insurance will cover bags it will be much cheaper going that route, also the Kiinde system is supposed to be good! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• JAM85JAM85 member
    Oh snap I need to get on Edgepark asap! I had a PISA from my SIL who didn't use it and I wore it into the ground but I have seen that more people prefer Spectra so I think I may try that. I have to frequently pump in the car due to one of my jobs being a wedding photographer so I need something that is not huge and cumbersome. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    @manillabar I just found about about the new system for storage bags that attaches to any pump directly and has a screw top vs seal top and even can have nipples attached although many babies are fussy about nipples so that may or may not work out. But I heard great things about it. I used target bags last time and I was pumping a LOT due to my two jobs.

Kiinde Breast Milk Storage Twist Starter Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXSPL24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7yNZyb4Q5F75S

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My insurance covered a medela pump, however it was nothing compared to the hospital's pump.   My son was a preemie and wasn't able to BF all the time when he was in the NICU, so we had A LOT of trouble with keeping my milk supply where it needed to be. The medela just wasn't cutting it for me so I rented the hospital pump and I'm really glad I did.  However, had we not had supply issues or anything then the medela would've probably been fine.  I have blue cross insurance and it was covered 100%
  • @JAM85 That's the system I've chosen. I'll mostly be a SAHM and I'm a FTM, but it was recommended to me from a La Leche mom with a 4 month old. The nipples are supposed to be really good for making the babies work at getting the milk out, more like they have to for the breast. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • I got the Lansinoh SmartPump through insurance, and from what I've read, it's really great. I like that I can track sessions and amount through the app. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • I got a medela PISA for my first, I ended up having two one that stayed in our room for my early morning/late night pumps and one that I used for work. I bought a spectra when I thought I wasn't producing much but I never really used it. I'm not sure if I'll use that this time or get another PISA. Has anyone looked in to the medela sonata? It looks nice but I'm not sure I'd like the extra pieces it has compared to the other pump. 

Also so for the FTM's asking about what the must haves are: a hands free bra- I hated the medela one but loved the simple wishes one and will use it again for this baby. I also didn't use the membranes that came with the pump, I got duckbill valves off of amazon and used them. They don't wear out as fast and they produce a lot more suction. 
  • @sakeefer agree with you about the simple wishes bra. I gave mine away when I thought we were done but will definitely be getting a new one. Despite two kids and many many months of pumping with medelas I had never heard of duckbill valves. I looked them up on Amazon after your post and they look like they're worth a try. Anything for more suction!
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Creedon778 they're so much nicer and easier to deal with! I was always afraid of ripping the others. 
  • Uggghhh!  Spectra no longer ships or sells to Canada.  Last time I was on their website they did.  This time, apparently they have stopped.  When I asked why they provided no response.  I'm so disappointed :(  It's not worth it for me to renew my passport ($160!) and go down there to get it.  *sigh*  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • DcwtadaDcwtada member
    edited March 2017
    @stokesm21 is there anyone you know in the US that you can ship it to and have them send it to you? I know it might cost a little in shipping but it has to be better than 160! Or try amazon? 
  • @Dcwtada I do but they are all in Austin, TX so I figured that would probably put up my shipping costs.  There is a UPS store just across the border (close to me) that accepts packages for Canadian customers then holds them for us to go down there and get them.  I could potentially get it shipped there then have them ship it to me.  I might still consider that an option.  I've just read such great reviews about this pump that I'm hard pressed to give it up for the Medela.  Not that there is anything bad with the Medela, but the Spectra is hospital grade and I've read that it's a LOT more comfortable to use so I had my heart set on it.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • I am right with you @stokesm21 I had the Medela before and had no issues or problems but the spectra looks too good to pass up. Hope you figure it out! 
  • Is it weird how excited I am that mine just came!! It's so pretty-and insurance covered it so that was really nice! Yay digital and hospital grade!Yay digital and hospital grade! 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • BabyBump2BabyBump2 member
    edited March 2017
    I had the PISA with my first. Thankfully my OB here got my my prescription so that TRICARE can provide me with a new breast pump before I get out. I decided on the Spectra S2. All of my friends rant and rave about it, so why not? 

One question about the Spectra, and I swear I read through the comments, but maybe I missed it..because well, pregnancy. What bottles and storage bags will attach to then Spectra for pumping?
  • TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• Tangentially related - Nursing Covers... Does anyone have thoughts about benefits of the blanket-like ones (Bebe au Lait, Udder Covers) vs the stretchy scarf/poncho ones (Milk Snob, Milkmaid, Cover Me)? 
  • chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited April 2017
    @optbaby2017 I didn't know there were different options 4 years ago, so I used the "free" one, and it was fine.  I actually only really used it when pumping at work.  (A friend and I were both pumping while eating in the same room.)  After using it while actually nursing approximately 17 times (lol), I went with the two shirt method, instead, though.  I have always worn a cami under my shirt anyway, so I got nursing bras and camis.  I would lift up the outer shirt, and pull down the cami enough.  Never had a single negative comment.

Edited to fix crap
  • XathXath member
    Tangentially related - Nursing Covers... Does anyone have thoughts about benefits of the blanket-like ones (Bebe au Lait, Udder Covers) vs the stretchy scarf/poncho ones (Milk Snob, Milkmaid, Cover Me)? 
    When I started I liked the ones with a bit of wire around the neckline so I could just look down and see the baby without pulling on the cover.

Then I just got over covers in general.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • So I have finally gotten around to calling Kaiser Permanente member services. I am covered for durable medical equipment, which goes towards a breast pump, but they couldn't tell me if it was for rentals or to keep. They gave me the number to order the breast pump, but the automated system said I "wasn't eligible at this time". Probably need to order closer to the due date.

I tried calling the M.I.L.C. Office to see if I can talk to someone, but there was no answer. I looked on Edgepark as many of you all have talked about and it shows that I am covered; I want the Medela, I just need to know how/when to order it! Or if it's easier to just go to the M.I.L.C. Office and purchase in person. 
  • cielaw89 said:
    So I have finally gotten around to calling Kaiser Permanente member services. I am covered for durable medical equipment, which goes towards a breast pump, but they couldn't tell me if it was for rentals or to keep. They gave me the number to order the breast pump, but the automated system said I "wasn't eligible at this time". Probably need to order closer to the due date.

I tried calling the M.I.L.C. Office to see if I can talk to someone, but there was no answer. I looked on Edgepark as many of you all have talked about and it shows that I am covered; I want the Medela, I just need to know how/when to order it! Or if it's easier to just go to the M.I.L.C. Office and purchase in person. 
    When I put in the order for mine through edgepark they actually told me they couldn't process it until 5/31 which I assume is because of my insurance rules. They said they would email me closer to the date to verify the information. You might be able to put all your info in from now.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• Does anyone know if it's still free if you haven't met your deductible?
  • rnw2019rnw2019 member
    edited April 2017
     Yes, it should be free. I already received mine with no charge and I won't meet my deductible until after the birth. 

Edited to try to fix tag, didn't work. 
  • rjoys8 said:
     Yes, it should be free. I already received mine with no charge and I won't meet my deductible until after the birth. 

Edited to try to fix tag, didn't work. 
    Awesome, thanks!!