July 2017 Moms

Unpopular Opinions Thursday 3-16-17

It's that time again! 

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thursday 3-16-17

• Big threads along the lines of "Random advice from STMs to FTMs" annoy me. I'm not sure what about it rubs me the wrong way. I'm happy to let someone know what worked for me and my kid if they ask questions, but just because I pushed a kid out once before doesn't mean any of my advice/experiences will be relevant to anyone else.
  • Pineapple (or any other fruit) and pickles don't belong on pizza. (Unless you make one of those "fruit pizzas with a sugar cookie as a dough)

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
    2 Rainbow DDs L-10/26/10 and A-03/27/14
    2 Angels- 10/26/09 and 02/03/15
    Surprise BFP on 10/25/16!!! Baby Firecracker is due on 07/02/17! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Rae1 said:
    I think pregnancy cravings are a load of crap. I don't think it's any different from any random food you crave when not pregnant, you just indulge more because you're pregnant. 
    YES!
    I mean I wasn't shy about indulging beforehand either, but I haven't experienced much "must get it now" - although I think my "cravings" have changed a bit.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Rae1 said:
    I think pregnancy cravings are a load of crap. I don't think it's any different from any random food you crave when not pregnant, you just indulge more because you're pregnant. 
    Yeppppp 
  • i believe cravings and aversions are real - my chicken aversion is so real and i never crave or eat chips unless i'm pregnant - i've had two bags of chips this pregnancy lol. when someone is like - baby is craving mcdonalds! everyday! that's where i'm like let's be real here maybe you're craving high fat and salt but mcdonald's is just easier. 
  • nktrodden826nktrodden826 member
    edited March 2017
    oh absolutely aversions are real! The smell of a lot of foods (coffee in particular) would set me overthe edge- some still do. But as far as cravings, I don't think so, this is my second pregnancy and never really had a craving for anything either time. I'll be "in the mood" for something but that's how everyone is. 
  • FWIW - I never said I didn't believe in aversions. I definitely think those are real. 

re: cravings. I think it's more just being in the mood for sweet or salty or savory. Again, same as a non pregnant person. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I also agree with the cravings - I eat less during pregnancy and almost have trouble gaining the required weight. I tend to pick at food but certain things I can gorge on to the point it is disturbing - this pregnancy it has been crab legs, last one it was authentic tacos, my first it was strawberry cheese danishes. I know there are some opinions that we crave what our body needs but even with a biased opinion I still can't jusitfy the strawberry cheese danishes. I haven't had one since that pregnancy and have zero desire now. But I did have my sweet little girl and that's how I justify it :) 
  • Re: cravings. I definitely think for some things, pregnancy is an excuse. But for me, there are a couple things in particular that are very new since being pregnant. I almost never drank milk before and now I want it all the time. I also used to think strawberry yogurt was gross (but other flavors were good), and now I have daydreams about it. I don't know where the strawberry thing came from, but for the milk, I think my body just needs more calcium and my subconscious knows where to get it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • CPR79CPR79 member
    Pineapple (or any other fruit) and pickles don't belong on pizza. (Unless you make one of those "fruit pizzas with a sugar cookie as a dough)
    Ok, pineapple on a pizza I get (and actually like), but pickles?? I've never heard of pickles on pizza!  
  • Rae1 said:
    I have to agree. People kept asking if I have cravings, but I wouldn't say I do. There are things I want, but it will pass if I don't have it in the house. Sometimes, I think pregnancy is used as a reason to indulge, but I'm trying to stay as healthy as possible and don't allow myself to go down that road. 
  • @Rae1, that was me bringing aversions into the conversation, which i felt was the same but opposite mechanism at play 
    @Dcwtada , while i've never had cravings like that, the last pregnancy i couldn't get enough blueberries and i've never really liked blueberries prior to that pregnancy - lo and behold dd has been eating blueberries maybe everyday since she we introduced it to her at some point in her first year. 

• I don't think I believe/don't believe in cravings. I do know that I've gravitated towards salty food much more this pregnancy than I every have before in my life. And yes - I get an idea of a certain type of food in my head, and have to have it. I probably had pasta primavera for the first time in 5+ years over the weekend, because I had a craving and my husband made it for me. I can guarantee you that I wouldn't even think of pasta primavera otherwise. 

My chicken aversion is over, but if I have a choice to have it or not have it, I'll still opt not to have it. 
  • XathXath member
    CPR79 said:
    Pineapple (or any other fruit) and pickles don't belong on pizza. (Unless you make one of those "fruit pizzas with a sugar cookie as a dough)
    Ok, pineapple on a pizza I get (and actually like), but pickles?? I've never heard of pickles on pizza!  
    My favorite pizza is Hawaiian.  Mmmmmmm....

When I was in Moscow I had a Papa Johns pizza that was sort of like a Big Mac in pizza form, to include pickles.  It was amazing.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'll take it one step further with the pineapple talk - pineapple is absolutely disgusting. I HATE it. Peaches too, but slightly less than my intense hatred of pineapple. 
  • oheliza44 said:
    I haven't had any "I have to have this now, or I'll die type cravings" so I can't speak to that, but I completely agree with everyone who said their tastes have changed and they are interested in food they haven't thought of in years. My appetite has definitely increased and I suddenly am drawn to desserts or snack food that I had no interest in before my BFP. Also, can't find who said they have an aversion to chicken, but I also have that. Yuck.

My UO: I can't stand when people say their DH or significant other is "babysitting" the kids. IMO it's not babysitting, it's parenting. I understand that one partner may have a bigger share of the childcare responsibilities but the connotation that one partner (and conveniently, always the male) has to moonlight to care for their own child just drives me nuts.
    This. Pre-pregnancy I refused to eat cereal except once in a very blue moon. I don't like it getting soggy and I got bored quickly with it. Since the BFP, every morning I have to have cereal. It could be the milk, but the cereal choice has been...Cheerios. I also usually hate bananas in cereal, but I can't get enough. DH commented this morning that this kid is probably going to like Cheerios.
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • I'll take it one step further with the pineapple talk - pineapple is absolutely disgusting. I HATE it. Peaches too, but slightly less than my intense hatred of pineapple. 
    You're making me sad! Pineapple is my FAVE!  It was one of the first things I had what I considered a craving for in the beginning.  It was my eat-all-the-pineapple phase.  :)  Though FTR, I would never eat it on pizza.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
    +1 one on the pineapple hating train.  DISGUSTING!  Stay away from my peaches tho :D
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Not you too @SpongeWorthy!!!

Image result for dying gif

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I eat pineapple until my tongue feels like it is about to burn off - regardless of pregnancy. And pineapple, bacon and jalepeno pizza with ranch sauce pretty much is the best thing ever - heartburn has prevented me from even thinking about jalapeños which is sad. But crab legs, so happy. 
  • Ugh hate pineapple! And it makes my tongue super itchy! 
  • Dcwtada said:
    I eat pineapple until my tongue feels like it is about to burn off - regardless of pregnancy. And pineapple, bacon and jalepeno pizza with ranch sauce pretty much is the best thing ever - heartburn has prevented me from even thinking about jalapeños which is sad. But crab legs, so happy. 
    My hero!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love pineapple! Raspberries on the other hand....eww.
  • I haven't had pineapple on pizza since right before I went vegetarian in college (Hawaiian pizza was actually my very last meat). But I think I'd give it another shot. I might try pickles on a pizza - wouldn't be the worst thing.

The town I grew up in had an annual country fair as a fundraiser for the volunteer fire department. Our church had a stand that sold baked goods, fresh lemonade, and pineapple on a stick. It sounds odd, but a piece of fresh pineapple on a stick, in the heat of August, was a thing of true beauty.
  • Edible arrangements does cupcake shaped pineapple with white and milk chocolate and it's the stuff of dreams @dancegurl1118.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • XathXath member
    My fruit hierarchy is:

The best - Berries (all varieties; all amazing)
    Delicious - pineapple, mango, grapes
    Good - Stone fruits, ripe cantaloupe, tart apples
    ok - other apples, bananas

Awful - watermelon

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @dancegurl1118, I'm only a little sorry for encouraging that, haha! I figure it's a good way to get the necessary fruit, right??

I actually am not a huge fan of pineapple normally. Hawaii completely ruined me for the taste. There's nothing like fresh pineapple in Hawaii - the imported fruit just doesn't cut it any more.

That said, one thing you should try for the flavor is to take a pineapple from the store and turn t upside down for 24 hours before eating it. It sounds crazy, but I swear it helps the flavor. During shipping, the natural sugars in the fruit sink to the bottom and settle, taking away a lot of the natural sweetness. If you turn it upside down for a day before eating, the sugars reabsorb. Another awesome way to eat it (after you give birth, of course) is to soak the cut pieces in rum and brown sugar for an hour and then sautée them to cook off a good bit of the alcohol and carmelize the sugars. It's is insanely good.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Xath Watermelon with salt or Tajin  :p  yuuuummm

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Being pregnant does not automatically entitle you to park in the new and expectant mothers parking spaces. If you have some kind of complication, ultra swollen etc then park there but if you are taking a spot close to the door just because you can then get over yourself and walk a few extra feet so the space is available for someone who really needs it.  
  • The only acceptable way that grapes should be is in wine. All other forms suck. :) Also, pineapple in Hawaii is THE BEST. 

I love that we all have strong opinions on fruit today. 
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • @abmommy15, I agree! I will say, there were days in Hawaii (where parking is a nightmare) where I circled the lot 5 or 6 times before saying to Hell with it, and parking for the 15 minutes I needed to run in. That said, my doctor used to joke that those spaces should actually be as far from the door as possible so that pregnant women would get their exercise in, haha.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker