August 2017 Moms

This is Us Discussion - "Moonshadow" 3/14

***General Warning - spoilers will follow***

I'm not in the "deep thinking" mode tonight so these are pretty generic and vague...

Jack and Rebecca's pasts, what did you think of them pre-each other?

The following snowball of things...Jack's drinking, Ben's advancing on Rebecca, Jack punching Ben, Rebecca quitting the band and driving Jack home, their fight, and Jack going to Miguel's.  What are your thoughts on their future?

Your thoughts on the kid's futures?

Kate wants to sing...

Sophie encourages Kevin to go for the part...

Randall wants to adopt...

NO INFORMATION ON JACK'S DEATH!  Were you relieved or disappointed?

***TW in Siggy***
Me: 34 / DH: 33
Married: Nov 2011
TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: This is Us Discussion - "Moonshadow" 3/14

• Jack and Rebecca's pasts, what did you think of them pre-each other? I felt bad for Jack in some ways but in others I didn't.  He had big dreams with his buddy about opening that shop but why not get a job at another car shop or do house work for some company while saving up?  
    Rebecca was very "deep" in her singing.  That has to be a hard road to be successful.  I was glad her cousins voiced their opinions and made her see that "diversity" could benefit her.
    Thank goodness for Rebecca singing at Ray's and deterring Jack from stealing!

The following snowball of things...Jack's drinking, Ben's advancing on Rebecca, Jack punching Ben, Rebecca quitting the band and driving Jack home, their fight, and Jack going to Miguel's.  What are your thoughts on their future? It was like the perfect storm.  One thing led to another for sure.  I was thankful Rebecca drove Jack home and he didn't risk anything more there.  I was happy and sad that Rebecca quit the band.  Happy because Ben is a creep and sad because she was enjoying it (up until that point) and "found" herself some.  I hope she'll be able to sing locally.  Oh that fight, I can totally relate to Rebecca since I'm a SAHM and it does focus a lot on the kids and not much for yourself.  But I was also trying to hear Jack out because that may be how my DH feels.  I think it's healthy for them to take some time apart to "refresh" and I do believe they will be fine.

Kate wants to sing... Maybe it's a UO but I didn't think she was very good when she sang at the nursing home so I'm a bit leery of this.

Sophie encourages Kevin to go for the part... I was happy she encourages him to go for the part but I didn't like the foreshadowing message of Jack's voice that it was a bad decision.  I'm hoping maybe that bad decision was meant for when he cheated on Sophie and not for the future.

Randall wants to adopt... This melted my heart a little because it shows that he truly does forgive his mom and wants to give the opportunities that he had to another child.

NO INFORMATION ON JACK'S DEATH!  Were you relieved or disappointed? I mean, come on!  Give us even a little bit of insight!  Was I really wanting to cry this episode, no, but I wanted some light shed on what happened and I feel like we got nada.  I didn't even feel like this was a cliffhanger episode except that we all want to know how he died and we didn't find out.

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Jack and Rebecca's pasts, what did you think of them pre-each other?

Jack has a heart of gold, and he's grounded/responsible, just like adult Jack. 
    I thought young Rebecca was also spot on, her being more of a free spirit. 

The following snowball of things...Jack's drinking, Ben's advancing on Rebecca, Jack punching Ben, Rebecca quitting the band and driving Jack home, their fight, and Jack going to Miguel's.  What are your thoughts on their future?

I was upset pretty much the whole first 45 minutes; other people arguing bothers me. I think Rebecca is in the wrong because Jack was fully supportive of her singing until he found out about Ben, and if I was Rebecca and valued my marriage, I wouldn't have made the decision to go on tour. And then for her to ask Jack to leave?! Pissed me off. What Jack said about her when he was leaving, what he loved about her & that their lovestory was just beginning--That would have resulted in some make-up sex if it were me! 

Kate wants to sing... Go for it, girl! 

Sophie encourages Kevin to go for the part... This is definitely being set up to majorly affect their newly rekindled relationship. I bet he gets the part.

Randall wants to adopt... So much this!!! This made me really happy, and was my favorite part. 

Disappointed, but not surprised. The writer's know the suspense they're building! 

• I thought the episode was horrible!  The commercials and all the press/promo for this episode was that it was going to be so emotional and blah blah. It was boring!  Maybe I just don't care for these single storyline episodes. 
    I think her asking him to leave was a bit overboard. Yes, he had a problem with alcohol 7 years ago and he wasn't sleeping outside the bedroom door like he did then, but him leaving isn't really going to help. I don't think jack overreacted by hitting Ben. He knew Ben was going to try something, why else do you think he showed up. 
    I knew they weren't going to show how Jack died this episode. They have to leave something for the next seasons. 
    This show has started to fall off for me, so I hope next seasons starts off right. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad I'm not the only one disappointed in the finale. I didn't expect to find out how jack died but I did want some resolution to some important questions. Very disappointing.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • This was a terrible finale!! Not one tear shed. And I'm not a big fan of the one storyline episodes  Last week's episode would have made for a better finale. I was really surprised when jack didn't die in a car crash, like they set us up to think after last week. 
    Jack and Rebecca's fight...
    I don't think he did any wrong punching Ben, and Rebecca should have been kinda glad about it honestly. Yes he was drunk, but his wife just left him for weeks to go sing with an ex boyfriend...I probably would have gone out drinking that night too. Their fight did not warrant him being kicked out, imo. They're having issues, yes, but him moving out is no way to work on them and better their relationship. 
    As for the kids...
    I can't remember if Kate had a good voice, but I hope this isn't some type of parallel between her and Toby's relationship and her parents when it comes to singing. 
    Kevin, im glad he went for the interview. And that Sophie encouraged him to. I really like them together, so I hope the job doesn't somehow effect their relationship for the negative. 
    Randall adopting, omg, love love love!!! Pay it forward in such a big way!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Gahhhhh COME ON. I couldn't believe when the episode ended..I was sure there were like 15 more mins where we'd see Jack get into some accident or something. I was seriously bored during the storyline where Jack was gambling. I will admit that I totally cried when he was leaving the next morning and gave that speech, but only because I thought his DEATH was the next scene. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was soooo disappointed!!! I really don't want to wait 6 months to find out how Jack dies! I also wanted more than a second of info about the other sibling. I think this episode would've been better placed in the middle of the season.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• The only reason this episode had any suspense was because we all thought Jack was going to veer off the road. It was a decent episode, but like others said, not much of a finale. Still cried though, lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Jack and Rebecca's pasts, what did you think of them pre-each other?

I like Rebecca better when she was younger. I want to punch Jack's dad. I hope they explore Jack's military service. He was pretty old for living at home for the time period, no? 

I think Rebecca overreacted to Jack. There are other more family-friendly jobs she could have gotten or she could have performed locally. I do remember her trying to make Jack promise they wouldn't have kids... I wonder if that had to do with her mother. I hate Ben and Miguel. I'm glad Rebecca drove home because I immediately knew Jack wouldn't die in the episode then. Their fight felt really real, but she shouldn't have made him leave after he poured his heart out.

Kate wants to sing...

Can't wait to see it. I wanna know why she thinks Jack's death is her fault.

Sophie encourages Kevin to go for the part...

Ugh, they just got back together! He is all over the place. 

Randall wants to adopt...

He and Beth seemed happy that her test was negative. I get it, because of William, but I also don't. He's a bit of a mess right now and I don't think it's good timing.

I knew it was too early. I'd say I felt misled and relieved.

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility