Trying to Get Pregnant

Chart Stalk & Questions Thread - Week of 3/13

I'm already seeing a lot of CS requests this week, so let's get this thread started!

This is a thread where anyone can feel free to request a chart stalk, second-guess FF's interpretation, or post TTC-related questions, regardless of where in your cycle you are. Sometimes FF is wrong. That's where we come in. Get your second opinion here.

Re: Chart Stalk & Questions Thread - Week of 3/13

• I'll play because why not... FF says 4dpo I say 2dpo... thoughts?

*TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @wabash15 Hmmm... that's hard because nothing is agreeing. CD18 is the only day you have 2 symptoms aligning. But with temps and CM sort of leaning towards CD16, I can see why FF has your CH there. This is looking very similar to your 8/21 chart. Give it a couple more temps to adjust and see. Your timing is fantastic though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Question: How much does Advil and Tylenol affect morning temps?
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Sorry it's so huge!! FF says I ovulated on C14, I'm thinking more C15 or C16. I had a pos OPK on C14 (it was the darkest line I've ever had although still not as dark as I would have liked- I'm fairly certain it was at least the same color as the control line). The lines got lighter the following days. I also had cramping on C15/C16. I'm somewhat new to temping so I would love any input!

• I need help ladies. Depending on the method I use (research vs advanced), I'm getting predictions of CD 22, 23, 24 & 26. I really don't think it's CD26 but I can't figure out the other options. Any ideas?

• @cdnrunning I would guess CD22/23 but based on CD22's temp I would lean towards CD23.. It's hard to say without any OPKs.  The temp drop of CD26 could be throwing FF off but sometimes I have weird temp drops at 3/4dpo myself.  Anything different that day?
    Of course I'm no expert but if it was my chart that's what I would think unless your temps change in the next couple of days.
  • @starla I don't know... I guess if you were febrile it would, but if you were not it wouldn't...
    @autumn230 I would say CD14. 15 is a possibility too but you start having a temp shift with 14 (slow rise).... 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @mispanda Looking back at a handful of charts, it doesn't seem uncommon for me to have a temp drop at 4-6dpo. Thanks for the input - I think I'm leaning to CD22/23 as well. I think too many days without EWCM for CD26 to be likely. Such a mystery this month. What I really want is for O to be CD19 ;) but I'd be plenty happy with option 2. I might go back to OPKs next month so I don't end up spending hours doing chart analysis!
  • Question! Who wants to talk me through OPKs? I want to add them next cycle, but I'm not sure where to start. Wondofos? CBD? With this cycle being the way it is, I'm worried about false surges and having days of "positives" in a row adding to my crazy. I'm also worried about $$$ having to pee on them 3 times a day for 30 days straight. Best advice?
  • LaurenEG14LaurenEG14 member
    edited March 2017
    LoveInDC- I don't have the most experience with OPKs but I can give you the little bit of knowledge I do have. 
     I used the easy @home ones from amazon and they worked great and are very inexpensive. Plus the reviews are good. One thing that did add to my crazy when I was having an-o cycles was that I kept getting "almost positives". When I finally did get my positive last weekend, it was without a doubt. It was the only one I had that was noticeably darker than the control. So if you aren't sure if it's positive, it likely isn't. Another thing that I have learned is that between 10 am- 2 pm is the most likely time to catch your surge. The day that I got my positive I took one with fmu and while it was positive, the one 2 hours later at 1030 am was much much darker. My surge was pretty long but I have read that it can be very short so during what you think is your fertile period, you may want to take a few a day. Of course everyone has different experiences so I'm just giving advice based on what I have learned from my time with them. You could be different, which I'm sure you know. I hope some of this helped!
    Me: 29 DH:30
    Dating 03/31/2011 Married 10/18/2014
    DS Born 12/28/2017
    TTC #2 06/2019

• @LoveInDC, @LaurenEG14 covered a lot of the basics.  Learning to use them is a lot of guess and check.

If you're just starting out with them, are concerned about the cost, and think you'll be able to interpret the lines, going with the wondfos or easy @home tests (they're basically the same thing) is fine.  They're testing for the same thing as the as more expensive brands (caveat - some opks also test for other hormones) and it's much less of a financial investment than the CBD. That being said, if they're not working for you, trying new brands can be the key. It will probably take a few cycles of opks and temping to figure out if they're accurate for you and how much of a lead time they give you.  

If you ovulate fairly regularly, most people suggest starting to use them about 6-10 days ahead of when you expect to O. Some women have a very short surge and need to test multiple times a day to catch it. Others will have positives for 2 days.

Read the instructions with whichever brand you choose, but most say not to use fmu, and typically a 4 hr hold is recommended.
  • Thanks @LaurenEG14 and @zwink1 for all the awesome info! I think I'll start with cheapies then and see if I'm lucky enough to see a pattern next cycle :)
  • @LoveInDC thanks so much for asking this. I was coming here to ask this exact question!

Thanks to @LaurenEG14 & @zwink1 for sharing your experiences. I'm going to add them this cycle. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @LoveInDC - To add onto all of the wonderful info the other ladies have already said, I read in one of the OPK leaflets that LH surge usually happens in the early morning hours while you're sleeping, but can't be detected in urine until about 6 hours later, which is why fmu isn't ideal for OPKs.
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I have a question about FF and temping.
    (*TW* I'm pretty sure my periods are still regulating from previous pregnancy *End TW*). So in Feb I had 2 periods, one at the beginning of the month for about four days, then one at the end of the month that lasted 15 days. Obviously I used the end of the month as my last period, but I'm wondering if that's going to actually work out right or not as far as what CD I'm on currently. So should I wait for my next period and start temping on CD1? Or can I start whenever still and it'll work itself out? 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 Was the 15 days all bleeding or was there some spotting? How many months pp are you?
  • @beachbunnyxo123 No, I haven't noticed anything but I was wondering if taking it could be causing some of my erratic temps. 
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.

• @cdnrunning it varied so much. The last at least 5 days were moderate flow, before that it was very light, but enough to be more than spotting. I'm 12 months pp, not BFing any more (as of about 3 months I believe).
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• CecilB93 said:
    I have a question about FF and temping.
    (*TW* I'm pretty sure my periods are still regulating from previous pregnancy *End TW*). So in Feb I had 2 periods, one at the beginning of the month for about four days, then one at the end of the month that lasted 15 days. Obviously I used the end of the month as my last period, but I'm wondering if that's going to actually work out right or not as far as what CD I'm on currently. So should I wait for my next period and start temping on CD1? Or can I start whenever still and it'll work itself out? 
    It doesn't really matter how long your period lasts for FF, it just wants to know the start date. I used to have 14+ day periods and I temped throughout. Are you using OPKs? If you haven't O'd yet you can start temping now and possibly see a shift depending on when you O. If you have O'd, you can at least start temping now and get into the habit in preparation for next CD1. So bottom line: Sure, start temping and see what happens!
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• @eggplantface not currently using opks, im thinking I may order some though, I've always been irregular, so I'm not sure how it'll be once it regulates again. Thanks!

Also, does anyone use the FF app for iPhone? I could NOT figure out how to put in my temp!! It showed me a screen with arrows but no numbers. I had to go to the website through Safari which is just a pain in the butt, lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @Cecilb93 try clicking on the day and then the temp box and you can just type in the temp there.... 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• I have a few questions for you ladies today.

With evening primrose oil, when in your cycle do you take it? I know it's taken to increase CM, so do you stop taking it once you've ovulated, or do you take it every day? I read that you shouldn't take it while pregnant, so I'm guessing that you'd stop after O.

And now, any advice on choosing an RE? The bulk of my info so far is based on Yelp reviews. It seems kind of weird to pick where to get tacos and where to get myself pregnant from the same site, but oh well. Any advice on other sites to check?

A quick rundown... (possible *TWs* below)

The practice where my OB refers her patients (I don't need a referral because I'm 100% OOP for infertility treatment) only has reviews going back to November, and a review of one of the other two choices of clinics mention how one area clinic deleted their Yelp page and started a new one with the consequence of resetting their Yelp rating... (There are only four reviews, two good, two bad, and one of the bad ones is basically a woman who was upset about her CP and took it out on the practice, in my opinion.)

My other two options both have good ratings that date back a few years. One has a female doctor, which is my preference (and more reviews), and the other has a male doctor. My OB doesn't personally know the female doctor, but she's had patients successfully get pregnant with the male doctor.

My best friend works for another OB office near me, so I'm also going to check with her and see where her practice refers patients.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @MJDsquared I started taking evening primrose oil the day my period ended and took it up until the day of O. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @MJDsquared as for picking an RE... take yelp reviews with a grain of salt. Sometimes it a location thing, otherwise if you have options I would see if you could meet with two good options and then see who you gel with the best... also ask about how their practice is run... do you feel like you need more hand holding and lots of face time with your RE or are you OK if in the practice you seen an ultrasound tech and an nurse most of the time. My last RE was a male ( I generally prefer female doctors) but he was great and honestly with IF you get over being bashful... your on AF with baseline ultrasounds, you have multiple people in the room for procedures... so in the end for me gender didnt matter it was the relationship we had that was important. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @beachbunnyxo123 It was earlier that day. I was thinking cd16 as well but then FF confused me!
  • @wabash15 Ugh, I just went back and looked and the screen is WAY different!! My app must have been glitching this morning. There was literally no where to type! Thanks!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• I know I don't have CH yet but I'm very confident I have Oed already based on previous cycles and just the way my temps look right now. The thing that confuses me though, is that I always have a slow rise pattern and I know that O is generally indicated as the day before the temp rise but you will see on my chart that it rises for 3 days before it reached the elevated temp its at now. Even though my BBT on CD16 wasn't the higest in the past 6 days, is it possible I oed on 15? 

Sorry if the chart is huge. 

• @JJMNO1616 I'm not the best at this, but I would say CD14 and 15 are possible. If you put in two high temps for the next two days (e.g. 98 degrees), does FF give you CH?
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***

• @Starla Wow I didn't know I could skip ahead and do that!  :D I put a high temp in for tomorrow and got CH for CD15. So I guess what kind of confuses me now is why couldn't it be CD14? It seems like it's already on the rise by CD15 but the temp just isn't that "high". However, with a slow rise pattern would the temp always be higher then the past 6 days?
  • @JJMNO1616 Learn something new every day. :) I don't know how far into the future FF will let you go. I think it's picking CD15 because you still had EWCM. Your coverline will probably be around 97.5 so FF might also be picking the last temp (i.e. most recent) below coverline.
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***

• @JJMNO1616 Also, make sure to correct the temps on FF when you enter your real temp tomorrow. It may have saved the current time when you just entered the temp for tomorrow.
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***

• @Starla Yep, it's putting my CL at 97.5. Your good at this! Ok, well this means my O date actually moved up this month. Hopfully it stays this way for 2 more cycles so DH and I can get good timing before that Bachelor party.  :)
  • Okay I have some questions about CM. I have been *trying* to assess it daily, but I feel like I have no idea what I am looking at/for lol. This might be *TMI* but how do you guys check? just on the TP after you go to the bathroom? in your underwear? Or do you actually insert a finger and see what you get? I feel like in any of those ways I'm not getting enough to decide what type it is? It is possible thats because I'm not fertile yet so I'm not producing that much... Is it one of those 'when it's EWCM you'll know' type of things? 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @kvacmak I have to use a finger to check it daily because I don't make much. Some cycles I'll see the EWCM on the TP so I don't have to check, but you're right, you know it when you see it. Also check out mybeautifulcervix for photos (but not at work!). 
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• @kvacmak  I feel like this was asked very recently and I can't retype my answer right now lol. Can you try the seach bar?  "CM TP" ??
  • Due to advice from the wonderful ladies in WTO, I am considering starting to temp this month. I have a lot of questions so I moved over here to ask some. First of all, my biggest concern is getting stressed out by it. Is it absolutely critical to temp the whole month? Basically, I am wondering if I can temp a week before expected O and then stop when O is confirmed? Or does it not work that way? Also, how does waking up in the middle of the night affect it? My cat is really needy and it is ridiculously common for him to step on my face in the middle of the night and wake me up. Plus my DH is an on call fireman so his coming and going in the night can wake me up multiple times a night. Just trying to figure out if it is something that will work for me. Thanks!
    Me: 29 DH:30
    Dating 03/31/2011 Married 10/18/2014
    DS Born 12/28/2017
    TTC #2 06/2019

• @LaurenEG14. You dont know until you try, but for me even if I woke/ stirred it was okay so long I didn't get up and walk around.  I always tempted the whole cycle so the chart would be complete, but there are others who stop once O is confirmed.  I may have seen it backfire tho, and since you have some concerns maybe about what's going on, I wouldnt advise leaving big holes in the data. ;)  set a soft temping alarm every single day so the time is consistent, and you can always go back to sleep on the weekends etc. ;)
  • @BusinessWife @kvacmak I asked if anyone uses the TP method in the CS/Q thread last week!

I use my finger, which is why I asked because I couldn't imagine the other way working for me.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020