November 2017 Moms

FTM questions for STMs 3/11

This thread will be created on every Saturday for questions FTMs may have for STMs, or even questions STMs may have. 

Feel free to resurrect this thread at any point during the week if your question does not fit within a current discussion. 

Re: FTM questions for STMs 3/11

• Have any of you had a c-section and/or VBAC? I'm a FTM but already know I have to have one due to having surgery a couple years ago for a large fibroid. I'm new to my area so I'm a bit nervous and not sure I will even find a doc who will let me try for a vaginal birth or if it's something I should even try for in the first place. 

TIA!
  • Loading the player...
  • Planned c section here. DD was breech and my blood pressure was too high to attempt to flip her. (**TW, which was a good thing, because her placenta was degrading and beginning to detach) I know I won't be able to go for a VBAC, as the hospital I work for and will deliver at will not perform them. 

I don't think it would be a bad thing to weigh your options with your OB! They can definitely go over what they feel your body could handle, and what they deem would be the best option. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @sojoba definitely talk it over with your ob. It may be that the risk is too high, or that it's totally fine!
  • STM here with a question for STM+
    Are you having more cramping this time around? I feel like it is way worse this time that it was with DS. There is no spotting and I know some cramping is normal, but it still freaks me out. 
    TTGP October siggy 

***TW Living child and loss mentioned***

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    13 March 2017: Loss at 4+6

• @MrsBunz no cramping here but definitely round ligament pain! I know cramping can be totally normal though!
  • Thank you @Roliepoliecoley4 & @heatherdubrow I'll make sure to bring it up at my appointment to see if the hospital even gives me an option. 

• MrsBunz said:
    STM here with a question for STM+
    Are you having more cramping this time around? I feel like it is way worse this time that it was with DS. There is no spotting and I know some cramping is normal, but it still freaks me out. 
    I was just thinking this.  I don't remember any pain at all this early on with my son, but this time, I am crampy and already feel RLP when I cough.  Not cool!
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• @sojoba my first was was a c section. I pushed for an hour and a half, come to find he wasn't progressing and was stuck behind my pelvic bone. It really wasn't that bad in my opinion. I don't think I'm going to attempt a VBAC, since I was told last time that my pelvis is too narrow and DS wouldn't have come out otherwise. If it's something you are wanting to do, definitely talk to your doctor about it. He or she is the expert and will be able to guide you and give you solid advice :smile:
  • KarrotelleKarrotelle member
    edited March 2017
    @sojoba I had a VBAC with my second child. Feel free to ask me anything!

@MrsBunz Yes definitely more cramping this time for me. (#3) As well as RLP and major bloating compared to other pregnancies. I couldn't do my jeans button up today lol 

Me: 32 / H: 35
    Married 9-19-2009
    Baby Karrot 1.0 - 6.18.2012 - She's here! Via C-section @ 38 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 2.0 -
    6.25.2015 - He's here! Via VBAC @ 36 weeks.
    Baby Karrot 3.0 - 3.9.2017 - BFP @ 9 DPO! EDD 11.20.2017 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • MrsBunz said:
    This.  I can't remember feeling cramps this time around with my first but definitely feel them now and round ligament pain too.  It freaked me out too in the beginning.  
  • pawcall said:

MrsBunz said:
    I was just thinking this.  I don't remember any pain at all this early on with my son, but this time, I am crampy and already feel RLP when I cough.  Not cool!
    More cramping over here this time. 
  • STMs+ give me your opinions or choices for maternity work clothes for business casual to professional. I'm mostly concerned about foot wear. My current job is pretty lenient on dress code because my boss is at a different location and I work in an office by myself. When we move in May I'm going to try and get a part time job either as a receptionist or bank teller, something that I'd easily fit into and that I wouldn't feel bad leaving if working doesn't work out later on in pregnancy or after delivery. 

TL;DR, What were your top choices for business wear as far as best maternity pants, dresses, blazers, shoes, etc. goes?
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @slaven when I was working in an office and pregnant, I basically lived in some super comfy stretchy black maternity pants, maternity tanks, and regular cardigans.  I have a couple pairs from Gap that I actually still wear all the time when I need to look professional even though my last baby is 19 months now!  For shoes I wore stretchy leather flats bc comfort (and my feet often ended up swollen.)

• @slaven I also have a couple pairs of black Pea in the Pod maternity pants that I wear to work. I have a decent pair from Target too. I wear maternity tanks or t shirts under a cardigan most of the time, but do have a few nicer and more work-friendly maternity tops from Pea in the Pod that I use when meeting with more formal clients. I have two longer blazers that are from normal suits that I used all of my other pregnancies. They only look weird at the way end, when you're super huge, and nobody cares at that point - they're all staring at your belly instead of your clothes.

Hit up the baby-specific consignment stores around you - they usually have decent maternity sections and the clothes are SO much less expensive.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I accidentally resurrected last week's question thread. Oh well.

Do any moms have a Vista and use it as a double? I wanna know if the legroom for the kid in the back is good enough. 
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @slaven I have the city select which is similar and there is plenty of legroom
  • @heatherdubrow I know the city select has more legroom because it's longer however I'm not a huge fan of how it looks as a single because of that extra length. I think I need to see one in person when we get back Stateside, especially the new 2017 model which has nicer fabric and folding seats. That's probably what we'll go with because it's also cheaper. I'll also just need to see a vista in person to check the legroom. A lot of Youtube comparisons of the two suggest the Vista, however they're generally generally done by baby stores and the vista is more expensive so I think they're overplaying the Vista/underplaying the City Select. 

Living in a foreign country definitely has disadvantages here. The only stroller brand that's popular in the US that's also popular here is Bugaboo and while I love it, there's no way I'm paying that much for a stroller considering we don't live in a city and I won't be using it all the time. 
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @slaven I know the vista is amazing and I know a couple people who have them. As far as legroom I'm not sure. I actually didn't even know that the city select was longer! I use it in single mode all the time and really like it but it is big.
  • @heatherdubrow Yeah all the youtube reviews talk about how the city select is longer but that's how it gets decent legroom for both seats. For the vista they say it's shorter so it's easier to handle/turn but very few reviews done by stores mention the legroom. Some do though and in pictures it looks like a tight squeeze. I'm also not a fan of the bar that goes across the basket on the Vista. 

The new city select has new attachments too. I'm interested in the upper basket. Basically you put LO in the front position and there's a shopping basket that clips into the back spot which would be great for going around a grocery store or farmers market (or taking my Maltese on a walk haha). They also have a sit and stand option too for the 2017 model, not sure if it fits on previous models. 
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @slaven that is so cool! I wish mine would do that!
  • @slaven I haven't set up mine as a double yet (obviously), but the configurations I've seen that make the most sense for DS's age, is to put a  toddler seat forward facing on the bottom front seat, and then the car seat or toddler seat with the little one facing the handle bar. The top middle and right middle are the configurations we'll use most I bet. No need to worry about legroom with those. 
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • slavenslaven member
    edited March 2017
    @heatherdubrow Here's a good sneak peak video. It's from 5 months ago but the 2017 City Select Lux model is releasing around May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPczlvWf6pI

eta: That video doesn't show the new attachments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2UMtf5t5Io
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• edited March 2017
    Oops here's the pic 

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!

• @elsieisamoocow But for the top middle picture for instance, can you recline the top seat with the baby while your toddler still looks out?
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @slaven I think so. Obviously I won't know until I put it together, but I also don't have DS sit completely upright, he's one notch reclined, so that would allow the top one to recline more if that's the case. By the time we stop using the car seat for the little one, though, it may be old enough to face forward with DS. We'll see! I was thinking about getting a side-by-side Bob if I can find a good price on a used one just in case we find this inconvenient. But we'll see. 

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11

• @elsieisamoocow We also have a double bob and I love it so much!! I use it for walking the dogs because I can push it with one hand!
  • @heatherdubrow they're so popular here! I just hate how wide they are. But hopefully we'll live in a better neighborhood to go on walks in before baby is born, so that would be a good thing to have after a while

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11

• @MrsBunz I have tons of round ligament pain already...I can't believe how early it started this time
  • @elsieisamoocow we have a double BOB too and use it for everything! It IS really wide, but you can still make it through pretty much any door (with some maneuvering). We got it because I found it to be a lot more easy to push and maneauver than the front and back strollers. I had more control and liked that. 

• jka427jka427 member
    edited March 2017
    @MrsBunz Yes!!!! The RLP is crazy this time too. Don't remember having that last time until at least 8 weeks. 

Eta tag
  • Anyone want to sell me on why their pregnancy pillow is better than a knee pillow and wedge pillow under the belly?? That's what's I did last time, but now that I'm already feeling uncomfortable at night, in wondering if a big pillow might help. 

• @ArtificialRed I just got a snoogle my mom sent for me. I'll let you know
  • For anyone--is it normal to feel utterly awful with the whole shebang of symptoms and then have like two days off from it where you feel great? I know this has been generally discussed before--that it's normal for symptoms to wax and wane--but I just wanted to hear about others' experiences with it. Specifically within the context of nausea. I was bedridden one day with nausea and fatigue and the next I felt like I could have an all night dance party?
  • This is happening with me too.  Yesterday, I was miserably nauseous and spent the day in bed with a bucket.  Today, I"m feeling great, super hungry, absolutely fine.
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• @ArtificialRed I used a snoogle with my other pregnancies. It's comfy and snuggly. You can lay a bunch of different ways to get the support you need at any given time. However, the wrap around part of it makes me really claustrophobic towards the end of pregnancy, so I usually switch it out for normal pillows wedged around me at the point. 

• Question for anyone really - I just called my OB and talked to someone about what will happen at the first visit. He said there wouldn't be a formal ultrasound unless necessary but there would be a bedside ultrasound using the machines already in the patient rooms...what does that mean? He said a transvaginal was a formal ultrasound and this was different. Any insight?

• @DuchessOfCambridge The OB doctors/nurses have ultrasound machines on wheels that they can bring in and take a peek at your baby transabdominally. It's quick and great because you don't have to go anywhere. 

The ultrasound machines that can be done transvaginally are in Radiology, often a totally different wing of the building, where the ultrasound machines take up like a whole room, and a trained radiologist does the scanning. Those are the ones that cost extra $$. Sometimes insurance will only cover so many of these per pregnancy. They will send you to Radiology for the 20 week anatomy scan (usually transabdominal) because they will need someone trained in ultrasounds to turn your baby every which way to get pictures of all the parts of the body.

But just to measure your baby they don't need more than a bedside ultrasound machine and no special training. It won't make any difference as to what you see on the screen!
  • Thanks @gipfish! I hope I still get pictures :)

• @DuchessOfCambridge - I think it's specific to the practice. Unlike PP, my office has transvaginal ultrasounds on wheels that they move from room to room. Maybe the guy on the phone meant that they'll try abdominal first and then do transvaginal if they can't see everything? Either way, if they do an ultrasound, you'll get a picture.