Adoption
Options

Would you consider / allow your child (adopted) to see / meet their birth parent(s)?

edited October 2016 in Adoption
Would you consider / allow your child (adopted) to see / meet their birth parent(s)?
Me:28 | DH: 28
Married: 07-2014
TTC #1: Since November 2015
Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
     due to previous issues.
***TW***
BFP: 11/4/2016
*TW*
 BabyFruit Ticker

Would you consider / allow your child (adopted) to see / meet their birth parent(s)? 31 votes

Yes
16% 5 votes
Not until they were 18 years old
9% 3 votes
Depends on the situation with the birth parents
74% 23 votes

Re: Would you consider / allow your child (adopted) to see / meet their birth parent(s)?

• Options

That is kind of a tricky question because if you are fostering you don't have a say in regards to if your foster child sees their birth parents or not, the courts decide that.  Once the adoption if final then the choice is completely yours.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @NatalieGentry - True. I edited it to be more precise.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's my understanding that most adoptions today are open, with some sort of contact agreement signed by both parties before finalization, to avoid birth parents being avoided by adoptive parents. 
  • Options
    @momof2buggs

I that that varies state by state. I know where I live there's a choice and most do not go with open adoption.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    That's sad. I personally would never agree to a closed adoption.
  • Options
    I feel like I would need to meet someone who has done an open adoption so I can better understand the logistics before I would know what to do. I know the pros, but I would need to see it. The only people I know who have adopted did closed adoptions. We are most likely going the foster care route, so of course it wouldn't be completely in my hands anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @momof2buggs

I think there are some situations where a closed adoption is best - I am VERY glad it was a closed adoption when I got adopted. My biological mother was / is not a very good person to be around.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I feel like I would need to meet someone who has done an open adoption so I can better understand the logistics before I would know what to do. I know the pros, but I would need to see it. The only people I know who have adopted did closed adoptions. We are most likely going the foster care route, so of course it wouldn't be completely in my hands anyway.
    @britters314

That's a good point!
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We are hoping for an open adoption where our child will still have some relationship with the birth parents.  Not sure if that's how it'll end up working out, but that's the goal.
    TTC #1 since May 2013 IUI #1 - February 2015 - BFN IUI #2 - May 2015 - BFN IUI #3 - June 2015 - BFN IVF #1 - October 2015 - 7 mature fertilized, all arrested development prior to 5d blast. - major bust Adoption Decision - February 2016
  • Options
    I know this is a potentially dead thread but, I am a birth mom and we are very lucky to be in our kiddos life pretty regularly. We talk to the family regularly and they have met our families. Feel free to ask any questions. 
  • Options
    @agradi - Glad to hear you're still able to be a part of their lives. :)
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I am adopted and have met and talked with my birth mom and half sisters on multiple occasions. It definitely depends on relationship with birth mother. Open adoptions are much easier for that kind of thing. Sometimes closed adoptions are closed because the mom wants absolutely no contact. As a child I loved the opportunity to know my birth mom. My parents told me I was adopted and we discussed it openly from a young age. She would call every year on my birthday and when I was very little sent me birthday presents. That is just my personal story though! I know it is different for every situation. 
  • Options
    Axl2Axl2 member

My husband and I are doing open adoption. We put in our adoption profile that we would meet up twice a year and go from there. It really depends on the birth family. I think there is so many good things about the child meeting the birth family, and when the child wants to know stuff you can go straight to the birth mom. We have also decided that from day one the child will know he or she was placed for adoption. No secrets! In Canada if you go through a private agency you have to do open adoption.

• Options
    @Axl2  You have to do an open adoption? What if the birth mother wants a closed adoption?
  • Options
    Axl2Axl2 member

When the birth mom goes to the adoption agency she knows it open adoption. That being said if the birth mom doesn't  want to be in the child life that is her choose. I know a few couples who have adopted and the birth mom doesn't have much to do with the child. But that door is open if she wants to be part of the child life. We were told with instant placement theres a chance that the birth mom might not even be there when we get to the hospital.