August 2017 Moms

Everything You didn't want to know about Pregnancy, Birth & Postpartum: STM to FTM advice

Re: Everything You didn't want to know about Pregnancy, Birth & Postpartum: STM to FTM advice

• @NatSprat0703 @Kathryn0903 @smallbutmighty77 @secicc12

I was scared of the first poop, too. I had a c section and was afraid that if I had to strain at all it would hurt, but honestly I don't even remember. They will let you have a stool softener.

Regarding sex, I was crazy enough think it wouldn't hurt because I had a c section, but we didn't have sex much while I was pregnant due to pelvic rest for various reasons and being nervous when I wasn't. That said, things were a little "tight" and it was kind of painful the first few times. Get lots and lots of lube!

• @NatSprat0703 @Kathryn0903 @smallbutmighty77 @secicc12

I was definitely worried about the first poop when I prego with my son. A friend advised me to start taking 1-2 stool softners a day after I hit 35 ish weeks so I would be "ready." My Dr. was ok with it, so I did and had no issues pooping after I had delivered. 

As as far as sex goes, I had a third degree tear and was a little apprehensive. I waited a little longer than I had to, everything was a little tight, but after a little while everything was normal again. 

• Loading the player...
  • I had a vaginal delivery and very small tear (2 stitches).

I had no issues pooping afterwards.As far as sex, we DTD waaay sooner then I anticipated doing it (2 weeks post pardum) and although it definitely wasn't great, it wasn't painful or anything. Was more awkward than anything.
  • @NatSprat0703 @Kathryn0903 @smallbutmighty77 @secicc12 

I didn't find the first poop that scary.  They give you a stool softer so that helps a lot. I ended up getting horribly constipated in the following week and I am still traumatized by it.  Make sure you are drinking enough fluids because breast feeding will dehydrate you.  If you have not gone in a day or so you may want to check with your doctor to see if you can take fiber pills because it will be a huge help.  It was not even on my radar and I let it go to long. 

I had a 3rd degree tear and it took a while before sex felt normal.  The initial entry always felt a little tight and like something was stretching but once we got into it, it was fine.  After a few months it went away.  I would recommend lube and being prepared for it to take a some time for your body to adjust.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited March 2017
    Peeing is a son of a bitch after too. That peri bottle is a life saver. My first void post birth the nurse squirted the warm water on me for me. No shame. 

I had no issues pooping afterwards.As far as sex, we DTD waaay sooner then I anticipated doing it (2 weeks post pardum) and although it definitely wasn't great, it wasn't painful or anything. Was more awkward than anything.
    2 weeks?!?! Was your doctor ok with that? I was still bleeding and having lots of discharge at 2 weeks.
  • The hospital should give you a stool softener. If they don't, ask for it. 
  • @SouthernMama15

Dr said whenever we felt comfortable -which I was not expecting to feel ready so soon -but I didn't have very much bleeding or discharge. (I had a post pardum hemorrage so I probably didnt have any left!) Every person is different. Like I said, it wasn't really enjoyable and I'll probably wait a little longer this time. One of the only things I've enjoyed about pregnancy is the sex drive. For me personally, I'm much more in the mood with these hormones on board. 

I might be slightly off it might have been closer to 3 weeks but it was very soon after compared to what I thought I'd be comfortable with.
  • @belmont1785 interesting. I wasn't judging, just shocked. 
  • @SouthernMama15

I was overly prepared for a hard recovery ...just cause I've always heard horror stories. But I surprisingly had a very easy recovery. I felt great in a short amount of time afterwards. 

• @NatSprat0703 My nurse gave me a stool softener after delivery so I didn't have any issues with the first poop. The peri bottle will become your best friend after delivery make sure you use it and have one to take home.

@belmont1785 wow 2 weeks! I wasn't bleeding at 2 weeks but no way did I feel comfortable enough to dtd. I just thought all doctors recommended waiting until at least 6 weeks. 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @NatSprat0703 @Kathryn0903

I was absolutely petrified of that first poop, but it honestly wasn't bad at all.  I just waited until I really had to go and couldn't hold it anymore, and it wasn't painful at all.  The first time having PP was way more painful!

Pregnancy Ticker

2 weeks?!?! Was your doctor ok with that? I was still bleeding and having lots of discharge at 2 weeks.
    I was still bleeding at 2 weeks postpartum, with all my kids. My OB has always has a strict no sex/vaginal insertion of anything policy until 6 weeks PP. I believe it takes 6 weeks for the cervix to close completely & you are at risk for infection during that time. 
  • Question (sorry if this was asked already):
    Does anyone have experience with having their baby boy circumcised? My DH wants it done for health reasons, and I am indifferent to it. I am just curious about the process. Is it done right after birth? Or is there a special appointment?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @Feliciosity curious about this too. Also any Jewish moms do the bris or just a traditional circumcision?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Feliciosity @Kathryn0903 I asked about the logistics of the circumcision, take a look at my post on page 6, about 10 posts down, a few ladies responded.... basically it's done during your stay within 24 hours or so, no separate appointment
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pbandjyummies Thank you! I skimmed through the thread, but I must have missed it!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @Feliciosity and @Kathryn0903 DS was circumcised with 24 hrs after birth. My doctor performed the procedure and the nurses show you how to care for it.  

• @Kathryn0903 with dd obviously it wasn't a question, but if this lo is a boy we will be doing the bris at 8 days old providing he is well and doesnt have jaundice
  • Cramping after birth was the worst but thank God for medicine and my period I thought would last a long time but after 2 weeks at 4-5 weeks DH and I had sex and it was just fine. Also pushing the placenta out was a little painful just because I had no more energy for nothing delivering a baby is tough work.
  • @Feliciosity it's up to you. I asked dh and he said definitely. 
  • @Feliciosity my first son they did it in the hospital within 24 hours. My second son was born at a different hospital and they recently changed policies that they don't do it after birth. Worth checking. 
    For my second I just got his done a week or two after birth. 

• Did anyone preregister at their hospital before they gave birth? If so, when do you recommend doing so? My hospital gives me the chance to preregister, but I don't know the right time to send paperwork in.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 yes! They gave us the paper when we did the hospital tour. We still had a little to do at check-in, but it was a major time saver 
  • Did anyone preregister at their hospital before they gave birth? If so, when do you recommend doing so? My hospital gives me the chance to preregister, but I don't know the right time to send paperwork in.
    Yes! My OB gives me the pre registration forms at my 20 week appt and I think I sent them in around the 24 week mark last time.  Huge time saver.... I still had to fill out paperwork, but it really was helpful that most was done, when I was leaking water and having contractions lol 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I preregistered with both my previous births around 35-36 weeks. Saved so much paperwork while in labor. Not something I wanted to even worry about! My OB office is actually in the hospital where I gave birth so that made it super easy to walk over and register after an appointment one day. 
  • I was able to preregister online prior to giving birth. When I got to the hospital I still had to sign a few forms but it still saves a lot of time.

• My mom's unexpected advice was to pre-register - guess it's been around longer than I thought!
  • britvahok said:
    I was able to preregister online prior to giving birth. When I got to the hospital I still had to sign a few forms but it still saves a lot of time.
    My hospital also has online preregistration. They even had it when I gave birth to my first almost 11 years ago. Worth checking your hospital's website to save yourself a trip! 
  • @Kathryn0903 it definitely saves time you can do it whenever and submitted I got my pre-registration at my first appointment with my daughter and I had gone to the hospital because i had false labor at 34 weeks and did not have to wait there to fill out paperwork they just rushed me to triage and then just sign paperwork to be released and then of course when I had her it was less paperwork than a whole packet.
  • @Feliciosity DS had his circumcision the second day we were in the hospital.  Check to see if your insurance covers it, too.

@lyse01 Definitely pre-register.  I called the midwives and they knew I would be coming in that evening, anyway, but I wasn't pre-registered.  I still had to sign a couple things when I got there, and I was grunting my way through contractions while filling out paperwork and had my water break, haha.  It was a very dramatic entrance, and I was pissed that I was spending time signing stuff while DH parked the car.  
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Wow, my OB practice told me to pre-register at my 12 week appointment!! Maybe it varies by market area; I'm going to deliver at the largest birthing center in IL and one of the biggest in the country. 

But on that note, I had to select a pediatrician when I pre-registered online. There was a drop-down list to select from and only ONE guy was also on my insurance site (as in, a guy who will accept my insurance). So, I just put in his name. I figured this was solely for the purpose of checking the child before leaving the hospital, so we could always change to another pediatrician (who takes our insurance separate from the hospital) later. 

Does that sound like an alright plan? I felt like I didn't have a choice. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 where are you delivering if you don't mind me asking, since we are from the same area. My Dr. is associated with Prentice. I haven't pre-registered yet but the hospital lets me do it all online too, they say to do it before my 7th month, so I will do it soon since we also need to sign up for the tour and some of the classes. 
    My hospital requires I have a pediatrician before delivery too. Feels so much closer every time I do anything hospital related!
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @DeansGirl14 I was so stressed about picking a pediatrician that had rights at the hospital I delivered at. Then we wound up just seeing whoever was on call at the hospital. They will make you get an appointment with your pediatrician before discharging you and baby. Some hospitals do it for you, I called myself.  You can definitely change after the fact if you don't like them. 
  • belmont1785belmont1785 member
    edited March 2017
    We picked our ped from the ones that did rounds while we were in the hospital. And I love her more than I love some of my own family members. Seriously, I don't know how we managed to hit the pediatrician jackpot. But we did. I will bawl my eyes out if she ever moves/leaves. 
  • @DeansGirl14 where are you delivering if you don't mind me asking, since we are from the same area. My Dr. is associated with Prentice. I haven't pre-registered yet but the hospital lets me do it all online too, they say to do it before my 7th month, so I will do it soon since we also need to sign up for the tour and some of the classes. 
    My hospital requires I have a pediatrician before delivery too. Feels so much closer every time I do anything hospital related!
    @smallbutmighty77
    Prentice right off Michigan Ave downtown! I've had a few friends deliver there and they loved it. 
    Funny you were told to do before 7mo and I was told to do it immediately. 

I have to sign up for classes there and the tour too- getting to be about that time according to my practice; they said sign up for classes sometime after the 20 week point. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 we will be at the same place!! I have heard great things, though I have heard they can be 'pushy' if things are taking too long. 
    I'm looking into dates for the weekend 'understanding birth' class- it includes a tour. 2 birds-one stone I guess. My practice told me to do it just after 20weeks too. The weekend class is full until mid/end April so I'm probably signing up this weekend to get in before May!!
    I feel like my 'to do' list just keeps having things added, nothing goes away!
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 Feeling you on the to-do list front - especially since I'm researching everything on it to death!
  • @DeansGirl14 we will be at the same place!! I have heard great things, though I have heard they can be 'pushy' if things are taking too long. 
    I'm looking into dates for the weekend 'understanding birth' class- it includes a tour. 2 birds-one stone I guess. My practice told me to do it just after 20weeks too. The weekend class is full until mid/end April so I'm probably signing up this weekend to get in before May!!
    I feel like my 'to do' list just keeps having things added, nothing goes away!
    @smalltownmama
    Oh crud, they're filling? Guess signing up is on my to-do this for this weekend!!

BabyFruit Ticker