August 2017 Moms

Exercise and Fitness Check in 3/13

How far along are you?

How many times did you workout last week and what's your goal for this week?

What exercises are you doing now?

What are you healthy eating goals?

GTKY: How has your exercise routine changed since becoming pregnant?
DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

Re: Exercise and Fitness Check in 3/13

• How far along are you? 19 weeks

How many times did you workout last week and what's your goal for this week? I walked every day last week. This week I need to get out there and walk.  I didnt the last two days (today and yesterday) but I blame that on the time change and the cold. 

What exercises are you doing now? Walking and stretching. 

What are you healthy eating goals? Not indulge in the sweets that I really want to eat. 

GTKY: How has your exercise routine changed since becoming pregnant? I cant run.  Not that I really could before (I might make it a mile, but Im really not a runner), but now its not comfortable.  My boobs are too big, and I dont want to invest in more sports bras, when they might get larger, and without some sort of belly support, its just too uncomfortable. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • DeansGirl14DeansGirl14 member
    edited March 2017
    How far along are you? 19+5

How many times did you workout last week and what's your goal for this week? 3 days, this week is 4. 1 down (Sunday), 3 to go. 

What exercises are you doing now? I haven't mixed anything up. I continue to do 20 minutes of cardio and whatever free weights or machines strike my fancy. I try not to work the same muscles two days in a row. 

What are you healthy eating goals? none. Everything in moderation and exercise it off is my motto. 

GTKY: How has your exercise routine changed since becoming pregnant? I'm just slower at cardio, for sure. When the weather gets better I'll go back to running outside as I've always loved that. Slow and steady! I've started making adjustments on squats and I stopped doing kettle bells and regular planks (side planks are still fine). Just don't want to hurt my back. 

Edit to add: On the healthy eating topic; DH was working late last night so he texted me to fend for myself for dinner. I texted back, "Is a sleeve of Thin Mints dinner?" He texted back, "Oh, honey." Turns out he thought I was serious- that I'd actually eat the sleeve of Thin Mints and got on my case a bit about healthy eating (he's not a dick- I told him specifically to help me stay on track). I said, "You thought I was serious? I was kidding. Check the box!" (I only had 4 Thin Mints after my chicken fried rice- 4 is the serving size!). 

You'd better buh-lieve I wanted to eat an entire sleeve of cookies but I still retain some shred of self-control. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • How far along are you? 17 weeks

How many times did you workout last week and what's your goal for this week? I didn't workout in the last 2 weeks but last night I got to the gym n I'm excited. I want to workout at least 3x this wk.

What exercises are you doing now? In the gym I'm on the treadmill 30 mins, arms, lunges, squats, and daily walking. 

What are you healthy eating goals? No fast food, cook more, and cut back on juice. 

GTKY: How has your exercise routine changed since becoming pregnant? Never truly had a routine to begin with...excercised on a whim. 
  • How far along are you? 17w3d

How many times did you workout last week and what's your goal for this week? 5 - this week will be slightly less as we are flying to Florida on Friday.

What exercises are you doing now? Cutting back on running and adding in more yoga. The arctic weekend temperatures have really helped me with the less running.Still getting in about 15 miles a week.

What are you healthy eating goals? Two days a week at work I go to the really expensive juice company by my work and get vegan/organic juice and foods, which makes me feel good about the nutrients and quality of food and really helps my digestion. I need to stop giving myself a free pass for the day though on days I do a long run.

GTKY: How has your exercise routine changed since becoming pregnant? Ha, see above. It makes me so sad to not get in longer runs, but a few hours after a run I feel SO much pressure in the pelvic region - do others feel this?

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• How far along? 18 weeks tomorrow

How many times did you work out this week and what is your goal?
    None this week so far! Yikes. My plan is to run on the treadmill at home today. Saturday and Sunday. The weather has been snowy and freezing.. tough to squeeze in runs. 

What exercises are you doing now? Doing more walking while at work. I work in NYC so I usually walk down 5th Ave/Central Park and do a loop to get steps in. Aside from that just the running and thinking about doing mommy & me yoga with my 4.5 year old DD. 

What are your healthy eating goals? Eat a healthy dinner twice a week. It helps balance me out and keep me sort of on a healthy track. Have my 18 week appt this week, we will see if I am actually healthy! When does that glucose thing happen? Is that after 20 weeks? 

GTKY: How has your work out routine changed since becoming pregnant? I run intentionally slower and keep my runs to 3-4 miles oppose to 5+. Once I have my 20 week scan & find out baby's status, cord positioning, all that I may start running slightly more. My sister had placenta prévia so I always keep in mind and don't want to push it until I know all is good.  

@donehue - have you seen a PT? Pre-pregnancy it has helped me with any random running pains. Aside from that it could be round ligament pain or pelvic floor. I'm not a PT, but know those are pretty common issues when pregnant and running.

I personally am going to look into belly bands- has anyone tried this for running support?? 
  • How far along are you?
    19 weeks 6 days

once last week. I've been battling a cold this week. Hoping to workout once this week if I'm feeling better or do some exercises at home if I'm still feeling gross 

mainly prenatal exercises covered in my prenatal class - some weights, cardio, abdominal stretches 

eat some more veggies

Ive been a lot better about sticking to a routine. I think joining a fitness class really has helped me
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @KyCade3013 I use a support belt while running. I think it helps a little, but also presses on my bladder a little bit. I have a friend who has been making her own support belt out of KT tape (I don't have any to experiment with).

I have my ultrasound tomorrow to check my cervix after my midwife thought it felt short 4 weeks ago. I've been running as much as I can in case they tell me not to, but will feel good if I get cleared. As long as my bladder is feeling okay I am definitely in that second trimester working out sweet spot!

• donehue said:

What are you healthy eating goals? Two days a week at work I go to the really expensive juice company by my work and get vegan/organic juice and foods, which makes me feel good about the nutrients and quality of food and really helps my digestion. I need to stop giving myself a free pass for the day though on days I do a long run.

That is so me. I did it a little prepregrancy but now... I need to get it under control. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012

• How far along are you? 17w. 6d.

How many times did you workout last week and what's your goal for this week? 7 for 7, just keep it up. IT's finally heating up here so maybe add some walking to the park with dd.

What exercises are you doing now? Running, elliptical

What are you healthy eating goals? More fruits and vegetables, less carbs. 

GTKY: How has your exercise routine changed since becoming pregnant? I have eased up on running. Not focusing on my pace or mileage. Now I usually start on the treadmill and sometimes I am just not feeling it and only get a mile or so in and switch to the elliptical or walk on an incline. Forward motion is forward motion. 

• How far along are you? 16w3d

How many times did you workout last week and what's your goal for this week? 4 maybe 5, is it bad that I can't remember!  I know there was one day I exercised twice

What exercises are you doing now? Walking and modified 21 day fix

What are you healthy eating goals?  I have cut back in the mt dew, that was a big goal. And all I want for lunch are salads!  I've been doing pretty well eating better

GTKY: How has your exercise routine changed since becoming pregnant? Slower. I have to do the modified versions of workouts because the cardio is too intense and I don't want to do too much jumping
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I moved offices at work and now sit by a team of people who take a workout break at 4pm. They climb from our floor to the top of the building (11 floors) and then do pushups. I guess they used to do wall sits too but lost motivation. 
    I can already feel the difference in my calves and I've only done this two days with them so far. It feels really good to get the heart pumping!

So, question for all of you- even though working out during pregnancy is great for moms and great for fetuses, do you ever have a niggling feeling in the back of your mind that what you're doing isn't good? I know I'm not over-exerting myself ever, but when my heart rate gets going, I can't help but picture my baby's heart racing and it "breathing" heavily too, and then I feel bad. Weird?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl0329 that made me laugh about the Thin Mints! It's definitely not hard to eat an entire sleeve. I gave all my GS cookies away because I would eat them all and have no recollection of doing so :)   

How far along are you?
    17+4
    I think only twice, but I had a giant presentation for grad school due. 
    I recently got Beach Body On Demand, which I really like because there are so many options and I love that I can work out from home. When I get to the gym I like to lift and walk/run on the treadmill. I cannot wait for Spring!
    Just trying to make better choices. I'm having a hard time with my body changing so this helps me feel like I am a little bit in control. 
    I was running more pre-pregnancy and lifting heavier weights. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 when I am running sometimes I imagine it getting sloshed around in there. 

• kvh22kvh22 member
    @donehue - I have the pelvic pressure post-run (even after a long walk like a hike or a long day of errands). I wear the support belt per my OB's suggestion but what's really helped me is incorporating some yoga stretching when I get back (or even stopping to do it during the run). I take a weekly prenatal yoga class and have been discussing with the instructor which moves would help the most. I still feel some pressure but it makes a huge difference.

@sgrant432 - Last week when I posted I couldn't remember how many days I'd worked out either. I don't think it's bad but I could just be saying that to make myself feel better. Either way, you're in a great range for days of working out :)

@DeansGirl14 I get worried when I do jumping jacks. I feel like it should be fine but, like @clrgrdfrk, I imagine baby bouncing around (but not in a cute way). With running and other exercising, I don't worry too much but as it gets hotter, that's going to be my concern. From what I've learned, the "keep your heart rate lower" thing is all about body temperature because elevated body temperature can do damage to the tissue of the fetus. I imagine there's an oxygen aspect to it as well, but I just silently talk to make sure I can "carry on a conversation" and as long as I can, I feel good about what I'm doing.

How far along are you? 17+2

How many times did you workout last week and what's your goal for this week? 3-4 times (does 3 hours walking around target count? Plus carrying everything we purchased up the stairs? If so, add one more). Goal for this week is 4-5.

What exercises are you doing now? Prenatal Yoga at a studio (1hr 15 minute class) once a week plus walking, running and some prenatal exercise and yoga videos from youtube (using chromecast to put them on the TV in our living room)

What are you healthy eating goals? Fewer refined (white) carbs. I don't love salads right now because everything isn't in season but trying to get into much healthier meals, incorporating more fruits and veggies now that it's warmed up here (sorry for those still getting snow).

GTKY: How has your exercise routine changed since becoming pregnant? Didn't work out much from weeks 6-15 but getting back into the swing of it now. Prenatal yoga class instead of just a home practice of regular yoga before. Definitely feel like I am out of breath faster when running so they turn into run/walks. Trying to ease back into 5-6 days a week of working out.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22 and @donehue - what brand belts are good? Or any body else wear belts that has suggestions? I want to get one, but have no idea the good brands! 
  • @KyCade3013 I use the gabrialla maternity support belt and seems as good as any. It was recommended by other moms in my running group.

@kvh22 I just started going to a prenatal yoga class and I felt pretty darn good on my run this morning. Coincidence? I bet not

• kvh22kvh22 member
    @KyCade3013 I bought mine off of Amazon but my doctor didn't recommend a specific brand or anything. I imagine they're all pretty similar but I might be wrong. I like mine but the yoga/stretching is still a must Here's the link to the one I bought on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0113WE0QS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    (side note: I use Amazon smile every time I purchase from Amazon and I love it)

@donehue Yay! So glad you're feeling better on your runs. I really think that the stretches make a huge difference for anyone who is experiencing that discomfort/pain. I wish I had discovered it earlier.

Everyone's making me feel inspired! I only did stretches last night so I think I'm going to head out on a short run before I really buckle down for work (working from home today and have a beautiful trail right by our apartment).

• kvh22kvh22 member
    Oh and a question for any STMs (or FTMs in a warm area). It's starting to get warmer here - sorry to those still stuck in snow. I have a few pairs of gapfit maternity spandex for workouts but haven't come across any maternity workout shorts. Is that a thing? Do they stay up? I'm concerned about being able to run in the heat without getting too hot and feel like, especially once our bumps are bigger bigger, regular shorts won't stay up/will be uncomfortable but maybe I'm wrong. Did you/are you planning to just wear regular workout shorts?

• How far along are you?
    16+6

4 last week and 6 this week.

I'm doing 21 Day Fix and I started running (more like jogging) again recently just to change things up.

Eat more vegetables, fewer carbs and stay away from sweets more.  I have no willpower and someone always seems to be bringing in some type of dessert to the office.

I was doing 21 Day Fix Extreme before pregnancy, but I gave it up pretty quickly because it was getting to be a little too intense. I didn't exercise much during the first trimester due to nausea and exhaustion.  Between taking time off and being pregnant, I've had to slow things down.  I also can't do certain exercises now so I try to modify them or do something else.  My running pace has slowed down dramatically too.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers