August 2017 Moms

Baby names!

Re: Baby names!

• @middy411 Do you need name suggestions? Suggesting baby names is like a hobby of mine...so many great ones and I can't use them all! Nameberry is a site with lots of great lists too. Some of them are a little cray, but also lots of good ideas.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • @dallasmommy I like Beckett! It sounds very preppy to me. 

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @strawberrytree I'd love your suggestions! I looked on a few sites today and gathered a list of "names I don't completely hate". I'm just so afraid I'm going to pick a name that I feel just ok about and then regret it later. I was in love with DD1's name and love both the boy names we have ready to go. I think I'm too picky. I like them to have a little flare to them but not wildly out there. If it helps, DD1's name is Alexia Rose (Rose is one of my 2 middle names).
  • @dallasmommy Beckett is my top name for a boy and has been for years. I absolutely LOVE it! But DH vetoed it. Also I agreed to Jacob for the middle name after his dad for any first boy we might have and our last initial is S. So the initials wouldn't be so great. 
  • @pbandjyummies isn't it funny how symptoms can be? Glad to hear your pregnancy this time with your son is light and probably a lot more smoother
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • dallasmommy-2dallasmommy-2 member
    edited March 2017
    @Mango517 @JCPSand2B thank you! It definitely took a little while for it to grow on my DH, but he finally came around.
    maybe if you have another boy in the family he'll warm up to it, and you'll be able to match it with a middle name that doesn't start with a J. I love using Jacob as a middle name though becaise it means something to y'all! 

Also, I'm sorry my responses are sometimes delayed. I don't get notifications on mobile, so I have to remember where I posted
  • We decided on Emersyn Marie and calling her Emmy... Marie after my sister in law who died in November. 
  • With our DD (Natalie) I found tons of names I loved. This time (another girl) I'm just not liking any and I don't like the same ones I did last time. Its Making it super hard. I don't like hugely popular names but I also don't like really out there ones either. And DH has vetoed the few I've liked. I'm hoping we have some sort of revelation before August. Lol

• @middy411 Hm, how about
    Kaia
    Leila
    Leilani
    Sasha
    Yara
    Lena
    Zara
    Nadia
    Delia
    Iris
    Amara
    Eden
    Willa
    Thea
    Talia

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Boy names are impossible this time.  I'm set on Theodore, but DH isn't sold.  It's the only name we've agreed in so far.

For girls I love Nadia as a first name.  It was my grandmother's name.  Unfortunately DH vetoed it as a first name.  He thinks it's a better middle name.

My favorite girl name of all time is his grandmother's name, who his sister was named after.  

I may just bite the bullet and give a girl that name without caring if she shares a name with her aunt.  

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the list @strawberrytree I actually had Sasha on my list and then saw that it was somehow a nickname for Alexandra which is basically another version of the name Alexia so I guess that would be weird to name my kids the "same thing"? Lol DH basically said he didn't like anything on my list of names that I do not hate but then said he has no suggestions or names he likes right now ugh. I really like the name Roslyn for some reason but my middle names are Kirsten Rose and my daughter's middle name is Rose so I think that would be overdoing it with the Rose-association lol. So now I want someone else to use that name because I think it's just pretty.
  • middy411 said:
    Thanks for the list @strawberrytree I actually had Sasha on my list and then saw that it was somehow a nickname for Alexandra which is basically another version of the name Alexia so I guess that would be weird to name my kids the "same thing"? Lol DH basically said he didn't like anything on my list of names that I do not hate but then said he has no suggestions or names he likes right now ugh. I really like the name Roslyn for some reason but my middle names are Kirsten Rose and my daughter's middle name is Rose so I think that would be overdoing it with the Rose-association lol. So now I want someone else to use that name because I think it's just pretty.
    Name nerd!

Rosalind (where roslyn, ((I would recommend doing the full version,  it's just so much prettier and dignified)) is derived from,) is made of the Germanic elements hros (horse) and linde (soft,tender) the spelling is influenced by the "Rosa linda" but has no inherent meaning there. Further,  since it's pronounced roz, as opposed rose, I think you're over thinking the rose connection. 

I also think the 3 syllable pronunciation fits better with Alexia.
  • AEHOLDEN said:
    We decided on Emersyn Marie and calling her Emmy... Marie after my sister in law who died in November. 
    Lovely way to honor your sister in law by using Marie in the name. I'm sure the family will love having her name become a legacy.
    But any particular reason why you decided going with Emersyn vs the traditional spelling of Emerson? I know the most adorable girl named Emerson, so the traditional spelling works very well on a baby girl.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nxy said:
    DH likes Gage, I like Rowan and until he comes home he won't talk to me about it at all. This poor little man is never going to have a name.
    love the name Rowan. Technically I really like the name Gage too but I saw the movie Pet Sematary when I was too young and it scarred me for life. Gage was the name of the little boy. Gackkkk. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Names are so hard! Genetic test says we're having a girl but DH doesn't want to discuss it until he sees the goods on the anatomy scan (which is in about 1.5 weeks). 

Trying to discuss names with him is like throwing things at a brick wall. He's happy to shut things down, but won't volunteer anything. One day he'll say something is good enough to be on the list, and the next- (say, if I mention it to someone else in conversation) he'll say it's not on the list. People are really nosy so I'm happy to discuss but then he'll just say no to everything just to be an intentional pain in the ass. 

I do know we're avoiding pretty much anything ending in -a or -i / -ie/ -y. The name "Katerina" might grow on him, however, because he really likes the name Kate and Katerina acknowledges his Ukrainian heritage and our last name. We like Adrian (not Adrienne, that spelling was vetoed by him) and Eleanor. He did like Madeline but hates the nickname Maddie so looks like that's getting vetoed. I said we can't control what anyone ever decides to nickname our child! 

We'll see....! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @middy411 Have you looked at baby name wizard web site?  They had a blog post about "liquid names" and that is what popped into my head when you were describing what you are looking for.  I love Alexia it is very similar to may name and I have always loved it and am excited when I see other people use it.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14,

I love my Ukrainian heritage.  My Mom is Ukrainian and most of that entire side of my family are all Polish/ Ukrainians. Would love to acknowledge it more than a middle name, but DH just isn't on board.

Sad he already vetoed Nicholas as that was my grandfather's name.  His one sister had an abusive boyfriend with that name at 30 years later his whole family still hates the name.

Love Katerina, btw!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Mango517 we just felt like it was more feminine and thought it worked better to call her Emmy
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks @shyviolet I really love DD's name too! I was a little annoyed that Amazon came out with a piece of technology that responds to "Alexa" right before we had our Alexia lol. It's still sometimes a little confusing when we go to friends' houses and people keep talking to "Alexa" but end up trying to call her "Alexia" lol
  • @dallasmommy Beckett is our LO's middle name. Archer Beckett is what we have decided! 
  • My nephew just told me the best name for this baby would be Glane Wyo...

So if anyone wants some suggestions that are straight out of a dystopian teen novel, just ask a 5 year old.

Also, wanted to drop this here.
    https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/
    The social security site is fun to look through. You can track the popularity of names over the last hundred years or search to see exactly how popular a name is in your state.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel like I am having a boy this time but won't know for sure if I am right until April 6th but we picked out a boys name already and if it is another girl we have not talked about this yet because I am set on a boy lol. Boys name we have picked out is Ezra Isaac :)
  • @Mango517 we just felt like it was more feminine and thought it worked better to call her Emmy
  • @middy411
    We don't have any friends who have it yet, but the commercials do always make me look up when it comes on.  I was a little annoyed the picked that name too, while not the most common name out there it does make it in the top 100.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with @AEHOLDEN, Emersyn was on our list last baby,but we ultimately chose Avery Grace. We wanted to call her Emmy too! I just felt like the syn fit a girl better??? My husband liked Avery better and we already had an Ansleigh so we went with the A trend. Just my two cents. Although I realized Emerson was grammatically correct I loved how Emersyn looked in cursive! 
  • @AEHOLDEN I have a neice named Emersyn, Eme(Emmy) for short! Great choice! 

Married: 8/4/12
    Me: 25 DH: 26
    TTC #1: August 2014
    BFP: 10/3/2014   EDD: 6/17/15
    Born: 6/20/16

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This boy will be Sawyer Cade

Married: 8/4/12
    Me: 25 DH: 26
    TTC #1: August 2014
    BFP: 10/3/2014   EDD: 6/17/15
    Born: 6/20/16

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Kelsyann2009 I LOVE the name Sawyer, for girl or boy. I so would have used it but it's my sister's dog's name and they live with me :( 
  • I Love unisex names for a girl but we are having a tough time finding one we really like for ours. We know we want a middle name that starts with D to honor a family member, but that's hard too.
    My fav first names for a girl right now are: 
    Riley, Spencer, Elliotte, Ryan...if we go girly we like Harper, Haleigh.
    We already know a Sawyer (boy), Dylan (boy), Charlie (girl) and my niece is Peyton so those are out. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 My cousin has a Riley Jo and an Ashton Hunter, both girls, if it helps. Hunter is a family maiden name and Jo is a girlier version of her grandfather Joseph. Maybe there's a D-last name that could work?
  • DH likes Xavier and I like Ethan, so maybe combining the two into a Xavier Ethan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jadkins2 Avery Grace, that's so pretty!

Avery is in our top 2. My husband really wants Averie (he wants to spell it with an ie), I reaallly want Olivia, but we want the middle name to be Kate. Guess we'll see who will get the final choice. We've been asking around with our immediate family members and the brothers both liked Averie, so did my Mom. I might give in this time as I was the one who named our son (Landon Grayson) lol. Hey I got my momma's boy, guess he has to have his Daddy's girl. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dma0389 Thank you! I love it too, and if it helps she is sweetest little girl ever with the most gentle soul and not just because she is mine. I liked the "ie" better but DH loved the "y" so we went with that because at the time we thought it would be our last baby :) Glad we were wrong! Both of your names are cute though and both sound great with Kate. I say let DH have this one! Such a big decision!

• @Kathryn0903 - so crazy - my ex prior to DH, when we talked about names we were the same. He liked Xavier and I liked Ethan. He just named his first child with his wife Ethan Xavier. Great names!!

@smallbutmighty77  - love the name Harper!

We find out the gender next weekend and I think we've settled on names! If it's a boy it'll be Parker and if it's a girl (this was the harder one) we've gone between two names but we're both really leaning towards Maggie. I had wanted Rose for soooo long, Maggie just came up but it's really growing on me. Excited to know the gender and give this LO a name. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• I'm not 100% sold on either name but both of these are names that DH and I agree on. My grandmother (who basically raised me) is named Audrey, and Nora is just a name that we both like.
    Which do you prefer?
    Nora Audrey 
    or 
    Audrey Nora

BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• @OTmom3
    I like Nora Audrey better. The a-a flows better IMHO. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Any thoughts on the name Nicolai? We're not Russian. I am having heck of a time with boys names. We are leaning toward n or g names since our other kids start with h, I, j, K, l, and m. I think we have a few girls names, but are struggling with boys. We have considered Nate/Nathan. I am just not sure if I am sold on it. I think Nicolai/Nico could be cute. Maybe we should just ditch the whole order? We never started out with any plan to have their names alphabetically in order (the actual order is h,k,i,l,m,j). 
  • lmyrmo said:
    Any thoughts on the name Nicolai? We're not Russian. I am having heck of a time with boys names. We are leaning toward n or g names since our other kids start with h, I, j, K, l, and m. I think we have a few girls names, but are struggling with boys. We have considered Nate/Nathan. I am just not sure if I am sold on it. I think Nicolai/Nico could be cute. Maybe we should just ditch the whole order? We never started out with any plan to have their names alphabetically in order (the actual order is h,k,i,l,m,j). 
    I think Nicolai is very cute! My only hold back is I personally would find it hard to spell. Every time I wrote it I would have to think of it. It's cute though!
  • edited March 2017
    @lmyrmo I like it a lot. But do you plan to pronounce it Nick-o-lie or neek-o-lie? Depending on your other kids names, -neek version but might not flow with the others. I've always been a fan of the name Nicholas. Maybe because that would have been my name if I ended up being a boy :P
  • @lmyrmo I would have been Nicholas if I was a boy, nn Nick.  My cousin is Nathan, nn Nate. Love both names, solid nick names with good nicknames. Nicolai sounds very Russian to me, and my great grandparents were all Russian.  My parents and cousins did more American versions since none of us even speak Russian.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!