November 2017 Moms

GTKY: Work

Re: GTKY: Work

• Loading the player...
  • @safinn21 that's so awesome that your work excuses you from the stuff! During my first pregnancy I was a peds hem/onc nurse and had to give chemo all the time!
  • @heatherdubrow they're super accommodating to pregnant women which is so nice! Were there certain chemo medications you weren't allowed to give or did you hang everything? I had planned on calling our heme/onc floor to ask what they did about pregnant nurses, but we don't hang chemo that often so it hasn't been a big issue yet. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @safinn21 I hung everything...we just followed hazardous drug precautions. That's really nice that they are so supportive where you work! Why be exposed unnecessarily?
  • @safinn21 I'm scared for job searching this spring/summer too. I know I won't qualify for maternity leave, as you generally need to work at the place for a year before benefits kick in, but I hope I can work something out with them. We could financially handle me being a SAHM but it would be stressful. 

Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @LadyMeowMeow Obviously overseas can mean anywhere, but generally finding a job can be difficult. Luckily as a teacher you'll have better options as either a full time teacher or a sub if there is a school on base for American kids. Here in Korea there are also a lot of opportunities to teach English but the hours are weird usually since they're mostly after school and evening programs, so like 2pm-10pm. 
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @slaven Thanks for the info.  As a longtime TTGP lurker I've read a bit about your experience.  It's a large base and there is an elementary school, so I guess that's good news, though I think I'm too late for next school year.  Finding a job for me on base is my biggest concern.  I have student loans so not working isn't an option.  And I've enrolled in the Federal Service Loan Forgiveness program but have 5 more years to go, but I believe I'd need to get a full-time job on base for any work I do over there to count.  Living abroad is something I've always wanted to do, but between expecting a baby and my potential job challenges, I'm not exactly thrilled about the prospect of this move  :|
  • slavenslaven member
    edited March 2017
    @LadyMeowMeow You'd be surprised how often they need  teachers. Here we just had a kindergarten teacher quit with no notice with 3 months left of the year, one teacher needed 6 weeks of leave, another needs a month to go back for a family emergency, etc. Even as a sub you can get long term placements. The pay isn't great (compared to my "real" part time job) but it's better than nothing. 

eta: The background check took forever though because they took so long to start processing it. That's for all DoD schools in the pacific region. 
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @baker1jm2 My preschooler just got a speech therapy referral. I'm so excited to start! 

• @slaven @LadyMeowMeow Well at least we will be in this search together! DH and I are planning to move this summer as well after I graduate so it will be a busy and stressful time, hopefully the job search isn't too bad. I'm sure there's plenty of info on interviewing while pregnant and I plan on googling it all!
  • @fiddleRN79 - do you work in peds or adults?
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• @pawcall I work with all ages :) I love it. We are a very small hospital so we don't have a separate pediatric operating room or med/surg floor. 
  • @fiddleRN79 - sounds really rewarding.  My son's home care RN is his best friend.  He's admitted to the hospital right now on the GI service and they're talking about starting TPN on Monday, which makes me a little miserable for him.  But I just need him to get better.

[spoiler]

• @pawcall I used to be a peds nurse and gave tpn all the time. I hope the duration is short and you guys get out of there soon!
  • @pawcall oh no. I can't imagine how you feel. I've seen TPN work wonders so hopefully that will strengthen him and he'll start feeling better soon. I'm so thankful he has a good home care nurse. Has he had one since he was born? I don't mean to pry. My middle son was born in 2011 as well :)
  • I'm a part time middle school/high school culinary arts teacher, and my husband and I run a small business (we make candles). I'll get a whopping 2 days paid maternity leave (!!), then unpaid leave/job protection, but I'm not sure yet how much time we'll be able to afford for me to take off. I've always wanted to be a SAHM, but I highly doubt we'll ever be able to afford it. Fortunately we live near both of our families so I'm *hoping* they'll be able to help us out with daycare, especially since there's no daycare in our area. Also, since I work part-time at school and then from home the rest of the time, I think I can figure out a schedule that will work....
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• @fiddleRN79 - We've had the nursing since he was about four - we got started with nursing so that he could go to a typical preschool and now she goes to Kindergarten with him.  We've always done the home stuff ourselves, although looking back I actually do wish we'd asked for nursing earlier on.  We're in a pretty good groove with things now but way back in the beginning when he had an NG tube and overnight feeds, I swear I didn't sleep at all.  I was so paranoid that he'd pull the tube and then aspirate.

Now he has a GJ tube and it's pretty easy to care for, pretty low stress.  We have to do blood sugar checks Q3 but FI and I switch off (actually usually he just does overnight cares now) but it's working okay.

The problem right now is that he came in last week with an intussusception at the tip of his GJ tube.  They gave him gut rest on just IV sugars (so really no nutrition) for 5 days before replacing it, and then we stayed to wean off the D10.  Finally got home Friday, and were right back here Thursday for another intussusception in the same spot.  So now they want to give him more time, and that's a lot of nutrition to miss.  They also don't want to put his normal GJ button back in because they think he'll intussuscept right away again, they want to rig up some crazy NG tube threaded through a G tube contraption that I think sounds like misery.  He's a bit of a combative patient, on risperidone daily plus PRN to keep him from destroying his surroundings, so I really struggle to see how this "more delicate" version of a GJ is going to work.

/whew - sorry, that got long.  I'm clearly having a little bit of a meltdown over here.

[spoiler]

• @barrbaby Super jealous of your Canadian maternity leave! I used to work for a family resource center that did a lot of the same things as what your organization does... kudos to you, that's a great service you're doing for your community!
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• @pawcall it sounds like you have a lot on your plate! I'm really in awe of how you're handling everything. And you're totally entitled to a meltdown, that is a lot to deal with. I'm hoping that things get back to your normal soon. Sending big hugs! 
  • @pawcall I wonder why it keeps doing that? I'm sure everyone else is wondering the same thing. I would be having a complete melt down as well, so never ever apologize for that. It sounds like you have all been through a lot and are very dedicated to providing him with the best care possible. I don't have much experience with pediatric GJ tubes, but I do know that we had to frequently replace one on an adult patient with gastroparesis for that reason. It sounds like the care team is trying to think outside of the box, but it's scary to try something that isn't common practice. I'm hoping they get your son fixed up and feeling better so he can return to Kindergarten and his normal routine. Being an adult in the hospital is hard. I can't imagine how children feel being hooked to monitors and IVs. I'm also happy that your FI helps you. He sounds amazing as well :)  
  • @pawcall just want to say hugs mama. Pls have all the melt downs you need. That sounds really stressful. Hope all the treatment helps the way you expect. 
  • Thank you guys <3.  I think being overly emotional and hormonal is really not helping matters.  We are at an amazing hospital (CHOP) and I'm sure if anyone can help him, they can - it's just hard to watch things be so hard for a little kid who really doesn't deserve it.

[spoiler]

• I am an elementary teacher- I am in my third year, not sure what plans are once LO arrives!
  • I'm a SAHM.  I love it, but there are days it is challenging.  Once I'm done having kids and they are old enough I hope to go back to school for nursing.  I just don't have much interest in the two degrees I have right now.
  • NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited March 2017
    @pawcall My nephew has been at CHOP a bunch of times and they did an amazing job taking care of him. He was on a feeding tube and a breathing tube for a while. He had his heart surgery and scar tissue / sternum revision there (he has DS) and they really put my sister at ease. They are one of the best in the country / world!
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility