March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM week 3/13

Ask away, things like why does my baby want to have the longest growth spurt ever on the day daylight savings happens?

Re: Ask a STM week 3/13

• How long are you making people wait who have colds or stomach bugs (non flu stuff)  wait to see your LO?  In asking my pediatrician on Thursday - thus far only one family member has any 'ailments.'
  • @Goodmorning12 - I'm with you, and would like to know the same thing.  I really don't want anyone around my newborn (when I have her) that has any cold/flu symptoms.  I even went as far as to say if my nephew is sick then my in-laws can't come to see baby.  He and my SIL live with my MIL & FIL, and I just don't want my hours old child being subjected to the sickness.  Am I being a total B?  
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Loading the player...
  • Not being a B, babies can get super sick when they get respiratory viruses. There's a reason hospitals restrict visitors to maternity wards in winter. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Goodmorning12 This is one of those times where you can't beat around the bush and just be up front about it. Hopefully if anyone's sick they'll have enough sense to stay home until they're better, but I understand that some people won't care and will want to come anyway. If someone wants to visit and you know they're sick, kindly ask them to stay home until they're over their sickness. If for some reason they get offended then that's on them. It's not fair to anyone if they came over and got your baby sick. 
  • Planning to ask this question at my 38 week appt on Thursday, but it sounds like most people have follow up appointments that your OB schedules for you, in addition to the pediatrician appts for baby. What's the standard for those appointments if you have a vaginal birth? 
  • jenny0228 said:
    Planning to ask this question at my 38 week appt on Thursday, but it sounds like most people have follow up appointments that your OB schedules for you, in addition to the pediatrician appts for baby. What's the standard for those appointments if you have a vaginal birth? 
    6 weeks pp check up
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Adding on to this question, how long would you wait to have someone who just visited a developing country visit LO? This person is up to date on vaccine, but I'm still worried about other illnesses and weird germs since she wants to come the day she gets back from a trip. Thoughts?
  • jenny0228 said:
    Planning to ask this question at my 38 week appt on Thursday, but it sounds like most people have follow up appointments that your OB schedules for you, in addition to the pediatrician appts for baby. What's the standard for those appointments if you have a vaginal birth? 
    6wks is the "norm" - give or take a week depending on your providers schedule openings. 
    I found out post delivery My MW do a 2wk PP checkup too.

Were you asking for baby too?? With my pedi they do a few days after birth to check on weight, then 2wks old, & next at 1mo... and so on. 
  • @longliveregina I am 100% with you. MIL would be the issue. You would think she's a nurse and would know but I think she would just be pushy about it because it's "her" baby that I'm having. *eye roll* 

@kjd291 I feel like I'm gonna be you. First kid don't touch her without washing hands/sanitizing...don't kiss her on the face...etc. 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • My guests know they have no choice but to be heathy and have announced their stomach bug - Im just truly not sure how long these things are contagious.  Said adult fainted while shopping Sunday (yesterday) & went to ER - dehydration etc. - so I'm surely not in a rush but not sure what the norm is.  Couple weeks?  
  • @Goodmorning12 I'd say once they're symptom and fever free for 24-48 hours and aren't feeling weak I'd let them over. Just make sure they wash their hands and aren't in baby's face. We push hand sanitizer on everyone no matter what.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • I'd say 48 hours. Tummy bugs are still contagious the day after symptoms. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited March 2017
    Sorry if this has been asked - what do you recommend wearing during labor/delivery? The hospital gowns are one size fits all and I assume not very comfortable? 

edited because I hit post too soon 
  •  @CoconutKisses21  I was in a hospital gown and considering I threw up a million times (natural labor) I am glad it was not my own clothes 
  • @CoconutKisses21 I wore the hospital gown both times and was happy not to mess my own clothes up. I felt like it was pretty comfy and it gave them easy access for everything. 
  • @CoconutKisses21 i labored in the hospital gown. that stage is generally messy and everyone is up in your business so i didn't feel the need to ruin my own stuff. i did however bring a couple of lightweight, cheap robes i wouldn't mind having to toss if necessary for the post partum part of my hospital stay and highly recommend it.
  • @CoconutKisses21 I don't like the hospital gowns. I bought a cheap black pajama gown at target and a black short robe to go over it. I labored in something similar last time and jut trashed it one labor was over. Totally based on individual preference, but j felt more comfortable in something soft. I also felt like a needed sleeveless/spagetti strap,and the gowns at my hospital are short sleeve. 
  • Spartanrd4Spartanrd4 member
    edited March 2017
    @CoconutKisses21 I actually didn't mind the hospital gowns...I brought my own clothes but didnt wear them until the last day because especially in the beginning I was worried about getting my own clothes messed up and dirty. I did bring a robe from home and my own slippers. The ones at my hospital have snaps on the top and also openings in the front to help with easy access for skin to skin and breast feeding. 
  • @CoconutKisses21 I actually didn't mind the hospital gowns...I brought my own clothes but didnt wear them until the last day because especially in the beginning I was worried about getting my own clothes messed up and dirty. I did bring a robe from home and my own slippers. The ones at my hospital have snaps on the top and also openings in the front to help with easy access for skin to skin and breast feeding. 
    The ones at my hospital has this too...but So did my labor gown. Tbh the snaps on the hospital gown were so sticky that icoukdnt unclasp them myself to nurse, I needed help. I wore a nursing tank afterwards because the hospital gowns were difficult for me to manage. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry if this has been asked - what do you recommend wearing during labor/delivery? The hospital gowns are one size fits all and I assume not very comfortable? 

edited because I hit post too soon 
    I wore the hospital gown before things got intense, and again after baby arrived.  During active labor I stripped to a sports bra and naked bottom. 

Obviously a lot of personal preference and what you want in the moment.

I personally liked not making a mess of my own clothes and the ease of access to everything going on... not having to get undressed from my own clothes.  before--they were checking for dilation, monitoring baby... and after doing lots of pressing on my tummy/lots of messy bleeding, and skin to skin/nursing.  
  • What's a good amount of cuddle and talk time with baby and when to put baby down ?
  • What's a good amount of cuddle and talk time with baby and when to put baby down ?
    Well...if baby is in the quiet alert time, interact! If they're just sleeping, catch some zzzs yourself. Use diaper changes and feedings to strategically build relationship by talking baby through them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina Love the matching head band! 

I didn't even put much thought into what I was going to wear, I woke up in the morning rushing to get DD ready to be dropped off before my induction, I grabbed the only t shirt I could find that still fit me and threw on some jogging pants. My pants I stayed on right until go time, I didn't have too many checks, I think 2? So I just took them off and put them back on and to me this was fine. My shirt I took off once baby was born and wore a hospital gown and warm blanket for skin to skin.. no bottoms until I was all ready to get up and go. 
  • Moms with kids in school/preschool:

Have you started doing drop off or pick up for big siblings? Have you brought your newborns into the preschool germ fest? Looking for advice as I start doing drop off next week and don't want to expose my 3wk old to viruses.
  • @cbeanz I had to start picking up DS at daycare this week, DS2 will be 3 weeks tomorrow. We have a car seat cover, and I also tossed a blanket on top. All of the kids are super curious (teachers too, we've been at this daycare almost 3 years), so I let them peek, and the teachers are great about making sure the kids stay out of the baby's face.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @cbeanz I've been doing the preschool dropoff/pickup all week and so far so good. I keep DS in the carrier/stroller with a carseat cover over the entire top the entire time so he's theoretically away from the germy air and curious hands. So far no problems. It also helps that it's 20 degrees here so no1 has been bold enough to ask me to undo it and show him to them. 
  • serenity13serenity13 member
    edited March 2017
    I forget if this was ever brought up in a previous thread but for those with boys who got them circumcised: did the hospital give you ointment or anything to take home or did you have to purchase something (if so any recommendations?) They do it the day after birth at the hospital we'll be delivering at & I'm hoping they'll tell us how to care for the area after but just wondering if you ladies have any suggestions on what worked well for you?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • serenity13 said:n
    I forget if this was ever brought up in a previous thread but for those with boys who got them circumcised: did the hospital give you ointment or anything to take home or did you have to purchase something (if so any recommendations?) They do it the day after birth at the hospital we'll be delivering at & I'm hoping they'll tell us how to care for the area after but just wondering if you ladies have any suggestions on what worked well for you?
    We used vaseline and gauze, which we bought ourselves
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @serenity13 The hospital gave a bunch of tubes of Vaseline. Nothing else was needed.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • @serenity13 with my first they gave us vaseline and a bunch of gauze. My second had the type done where it doesn't need any care at all.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @serenity13 Vaseline tubes were all they told us we needed. @datalover13 how do they do the other kind?
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks so much ladies! I'm also very curious about how they do the other type, hoping that might be an option for mine!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pandalily @serenity13 he had the plastibell. It's supposed to be the way where they won't bleed. Our instructions were to leave it alone, don't even wipe it down unless poo got on it. It's supposed to come off on its own within 8 to 10 days. 
    DS was a rare case where he did bleed, and they had trouble stopping it so they had to put silver nitrate on it. It was pretty disturbing looking for quite awhile. The doctor was prepared to send us to the children's hospital today so they could look at it, but it finally fell off after 14 days! He's a little swollen, but they said that's completely normal and should be good in a few days.
    If he hadn't had any complications, I would have must preferred the plastibell to the other method (starts with a G...) 
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Not sure if this is better off here or on the BF thread but - anyone eat Chinese food yet?  Does Chinese food make them gassy?  I think my LO is sensitive to broccoli & spinach, I'd love some Chinese but it's not worth it if it leads to gassy baby blues.
  • Not sure if this is better off here or on the BF thread but - anyone eat Chinese food yet?  Does Chinese food make them gassy?  I think my LO is sensitive to broccoli & spinach, I'd love some Chinese but it's not worth it if it leads to gassy baby blues.
    Ive heard lots of different opinions. But My Nurse/LC said 99% of babies will tolerate anything - only foods to avoid all the time was peppermint and soy. 
  • @Goodmorning12 I think it depends on the baby. DS1 I had issues with milk intolerance for him and anything like broccoli did seem to upset his belly. For DS2 I eat everything and nothing seems to bother him yet. I eat a ton of spicy food too and he doesn't have any issues. 

Sorry i I didn't help more - but it really is trial and error. Eventually you won't have any diet restrictions as their gi system matures and they figure out how to pass gas like a champ. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017