September 2016 Moms

Feeding Schedule

Sbrown721Sbrown721 member
edited February 2017 in September 2016 Moms
I am a stay-at-home mom that is exclusively breastfeeding (he refuses breastmilk or formula bottles unless he's starving). He'll be 5 months on the 24th. His feeding schedule is kind of all over the place since I feed him on-demand and I'd really like to get him on more of a schedule so I know what to expect and can plan the day a bit better. Anyone put their LO on a schedule at home yet?

Re: Feeding Schedule

• We're all over the place too. I work 4 days, but the days that I'm home I rely on the boob probably a bit too much to get her to nap. And then if we're going somewhere, I'll feed her before we go whether it's "time" to eat or not. So yeah... no schedule.
  • He eats about every 3-4 hours more toward the 3 hrs mark whether it is bottle or breast. Then he usually wakes up between 4-5 am for his night feeding. I use to work in the NICU so I was use to babies being on a feeding schedule so I put Xavier on one as soon as I could. Helps with planning things and what not.
  • Loading the player...
  • Every 3 hours. He goes to bed between 6/7pm. We've had a little bit of a sleep regression since he was sick so he's back to waking up two times. Usually around midnightish and then 4amish. So he's eating 6 times total. 
  • I wish we had a schedule too. We're all over the place. Every 2-3 hours day and night
  • My message got cut off...Sometimes she stretches it out a bit which makes it harder to schedule. Any ideas on how to start one from those that have a schedule?
  • jenkar01jenkar01 member
    edited February 2017
    Xavier pretty much picked his schedule out himself and we just went with it. It helps that he gets up the same time everyday and goes to bed he same time every night. His feeding start at 9am and end at 9pm. Usually eating every 3 hours to three and a half hours.
  • Yeah a schedule sounds good...My little girl still wants to nurse every 2 hours. Unless she is napping then she can stretch it out to 3 or 4 hours.  Sleeps from 8 until 6 overnight so at least there's that. Would love to be able to stretch this out as I have a very small window to get anything done when we go out.

I was planning on starting her on rice cereal a little early to see if she will go longer between feeds. She is taking a lot more ounces in the bottle for her last feed these days so maybe I'm just not making enough milk for her to last 3-4 hours between feeds during the day. 

• Dylan now goes anywhere between 2 to 3 hours in between eating during the day. At night he eats his last bottle at 10 then is hungry again around 5. @jellybiehn I am super jealous at the 8 to 6. Dylan slept through the night for about 6 weeks and stopped and has only slept through a handful of times in the last 2 months 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lol yeah it would be even better if I didn't have to still get up at 130 every night to pump...
  • We also are about every 3 -4 hours for nursing.  I follow the EASY rule of thumb (Eat, Awake Time, Sleep for Baby, and You time plan).  This way LO gets used to being put down for naps and sleep while groggy and only nurses to sleep at night.  I always found sleep was more important for my little ones than milk if they are fussy.  I normally put LO down for a nap about an hour to 90 min before he is due to nurse again which means he is still getting 3-4 naps a day.  Even with the schedule I follow the cues LO is giving me on sleepiness, etc.  I hope to start doing some longer naps soon and sometimes stick his pacifier back in to try to get him to sleep longer.

I recommend the book the "Baby Whisperer" if you want to create more of a schedule.  Btw-my 6mo old weighs 19lbs.  Now if we could keep LO from catching the older kid's colds we could get back to sleeping longer at night too.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @SuzJune04 never heard of that! I love it! Do you breastfeed? It is impossible to get LO to sleep without nursing. He refuses a pacifier and we have tried ALL of them! We've tried CIO, but nothing intense. I tend to cave and I know that just makes it even more confusing for LO. LO also refuses a bottle which I am desperartely trying to get him to take bc DH and I are going on a 5-day trip in April! Eek!
  • I nurse Molly around 6am then she eats around 9:30-12-30 and 3:30 (I pump those times at work) and then she nurses 5:30 and 7:30.