June 2017 Moms

High-risk March check in

Hi ladies - a few days late, but figured I'd start us a new thread for this month.

How far along are you?

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring?

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting?

Any questions / rants / raves?

GTKY: Any plans for your first post-labor meal?
Me 37, DH 40
BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
Mirena 10/14-5/16
BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17

Re: High-risk March check in

• Hi ladies! I haven't participated here yet, though I'm not sure why because I am high risk and see an MFM for additional testing/monitoring.

How far along are you? 
    27 weeks, 2 days (last week of 2nd tri, woohoo!)

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? I have lupus (autoimmune disorder). Although it's been in remission for several years it is affecting my treatment plan.

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? I'm required to take baby aspirin (81 mg) the duration of my pregnancy until I reach 36 weeks in addition to the medication I've been taking for my condition for years (plaquenil). Plaquenil is a category C but both my MFM and rheumatologist say it's harmless and they want to keep me on it to avoid any potential flare ups. I also get extra labs drawn from time to time to make sure I'm not testing positive for antibodies that could be harmful to the fetus. Also, I'll be induced at 39 weeks if I haven't gone into labor on my own by that point because lupus patients have an increased risk of fetal distress in the final week.

Any questions / rants / raves? One of my biggest fear this entire pregnancy has been going into pre-term labor. My rheumatologist told me I have a higher likelihood of it because of my diagnosis, but if it happens I just hope it won't be TOO early. I'm stopping work 2 weeks before I'll be induced just to be safe.

GTKY: Any plans for your first post-labor meal? Oh man, I want the biggest rainbow roll and plate of sashimi that my husband can find me in Raleigh! I'm salivating just thinking about it!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • How far along are you? 24 + 4

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? Low PAPP-A from my NT scan bloodwork means I'm at increased risk of pre-e, pre-term labor, and IUGR (among other things)

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? Growth scans to make sure this little guy keeps growing - first one is Wednesday (and I haven't had any appointments in a month, so anxious to see how he's doing). 

Any questions / rants / raves? Possible TW: I'm stuck at my pre-pregnancy weight which doesn't seem great given concerns about growth of the baby. I've gained back the weight I lost from 1st trimester nausea, but been stuck at my starting point for the past few weeks. I would like to believe it's due to not being able to eat a ton when I was having tooth pain / root canals, and then being pretty sick last week, but it is making me nervous. I see my ob on Thursday, so let's see if she's concerned. I did start this pregnancy at about 20 lbs heavier than with DD so I'm hoping that the baby is just taking what he needs. End TW.

GTKY: Any plans for your first post-labor meal? Same as with DD - a turkey sub with lettuce, cheese, and honey mustard from Subway. Totally random - it's not like it's something I ever eat otherwise, but I just want it!!
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
  • Loading the player...
  • How far along are you?
    26+6

Complete placenta previa, AMA, family history of congenital heart defects

Additional U/S and a lot of watchful waiting. If I have a bleeding event, then we will reevaluate activity limitations. At my next U/S we will check the placenta positioning and if it hasn't moved we will have to schedule a c-section and start planning to take the baby early. REALLY hoping not to go down that path... 

My MW told me that she and my OB have had run-in's before. I just wish she would
    have suggested a specific
    doctor if she had someone she'd rather work with, as opposed to a general recommendation for the high-risk practice. 

I want ALL the rare steak and raw fish!! And gimme booze! Hahahah

• Hi ladies - I've never participated here either but I have been seen by a MFM every two weeks since like 12 weeks! 

How far along are you? 27 weeks 4 days

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? I am carrying multiples who are sharing a placenta. (Mono-di twins)

I get an ultrasound every two weeks to monitor for TTTS. 
    None
    GTKY: Any plans for your first post-labor meal? A turkey sub makes my mouth drool! :)

• How far along are you? 24 weeks 6 days

Previous preterm labor and delivery at 32 weeks due to PROM

Pregesterone injections weekly

I've had some pretty gnarly Braxton Hicks lately. I had them with my son but don't remember them being so intense. And of course my mind automatically goes to freak out mode and I convince myself I'm going into labor any minute.

I haven't really been abstaining from anything since I'm not a big sushi person or anything like that. I had pancakes from Denny's after my last labor since it was 3 am and they were glorious.
  • @TCH0602 I'm not familiar with the different types of twins. What does mono-di mean? Are your twins identical?
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • How far along are you?
    25+5

Cholestasis, previous preterm labor, pre-e/hellp syndrome in my last pregnancy

Weekly bpps started last week, 2x weekly nst start at 28 weeks, and bloodwork every other week to watch liver function and bile acid levels.
    Is it may 25 yet? I'm ready to be done being itchy :(

I want a burger and sloppy fries. It sounds so good.
  • @wifeinraleigh28 yes my twins are identical. Mono-DI means they have their own sacs but share a placenta. Mono-Mono are identical twins as well. They share a placenta and a sac. Di-Di twins have separate placentas and sacs. 
  • How far along are you?
    22 weeks, 2 days
    GD, Hypertension, Pre-eclamsia in last pregnancy
    Endocrinology weekly, and eventually I will have NST and Ultrasounds weekly... I think starting at 26-28 weeks?
    I have very much been struggling with my anxiety.  Having crying episodes (which I think is more pregnancy related than mental health) and panic attacks.  My depression felt like it was creeping up this weekend, but I seem to be better this week so far.  I have been seeing my counselor more frequently and the doctor's have given me emergency doses of medication should I need it.
    Not really... last time I remember ordering just about one of everything from the menu that was being served that night.  After 2.5 days of liquid only diet... I was ready to feast!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • krex-2krex-2 member
    edited March 2017
    How far along are you? - expecting mother is 26 weeks

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? - complete placenta previa

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? - additional scans to see if the placenta moves any.  if not, they'll do a scheduled c-section.  also watching for bleeding, obviously.

Any questions / rants / raves? - I need to make an appointment with my therapist. I'm really struggling with the stress of this adoption and constantly yo-yoing between being so excited to finally be a parent, and feeling like it's all going to fall apart and we'll be at the very beginning again.  Most days I can navigate it pretty well, and my meds keep me pretty level, but as time goes on it's getting worse.

GTKY: Any plans for your first post-labor meal? - I obviously haven't been abstaining from any foods, but DH plans to go get EM whatever she wants after she gives birth! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• How far along are you? 24 weeks

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? AMA, blood disorder, and microduplication disorder for me. Larger nuchal fold and measuring large kidneys for DS. Also disaster delivery with cord issues with DD so watching cord closely.

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? Additional monitoring from MFM and start nonstress tests at 32 weeks rather than starting at 35 weeks. 

Any questions / rants / raves? Had the fetal echocardiogram today. Heart looks fantastic which was a concern with that genetic disorder I have. His cord also looked better. His kidneys are still measuring larger, but that too can resolve in time. They are just keeping an eye on it. I am much more relieved now. They got great 3D pics of his face. He looks like a real baby and so adorable

GTKY: Any plans for your first post-labor meal? Our hospital has amazing food. Looking forward to the crab cakes, steak sandwiches, and caramel apple pie they have there. When I am home, I want a good drink.

• Update from my growth scan: baby is on track (58th percentile, and roughly 1 lb 11 oz), and everything looks good overall. He remains breech - the kid literally is in the exact same position every ultrasound! I'll go back in 4 weeks to make sure he keeps growing, but a big sigh of relief that his growth hasn't slowed.

@wifeinraleigh28 @TCH0602 Welcome - glad to have you join us!

@silliegirlie143 When is your next ultrasound? Fingers crossed that your placenta decides to make a move soon! (That's a sentence I've definitely never typed before.)

@Allybiery Hope the BH have calmed down!

@maybaby23 Constant itching does NOT sound fun - can they give you anything for it?

@EmeraldNC Hang in there - glad that you're getting in to talk with someone

@krex Move placenta, move!

Teacher Mom Glad that the echo went well!

Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
  • @c1tym0m22 My next U/S is on the 24th.
    I just keep trying to think positive thoughts about it moving out of the way. Cmon body!! Stop being lazy!!  :D

• I'm also new to posting here but am struggling a bit this week. 

I am 26 weeks. High risk due to preeclampsia with my first and a stillborn baby at 32 weeks. I am on aspirin, lovenox injections and calcium. I am also on weekly bpps and nst until 32 weeks. Then I will go twice a week. 

I am struggling due to severe round ligament pain. I can barely walk. I've never dealt with this before and all of the new pains are making my anxiety rise. Has anyone else dealt with this?  If so, any tips?

you guys are all doing awesome!  It's nice to have some support out there!
  • How far along are you? 25 + 3

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? previous PTL and PPROM. Son born at 33 weeks

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting?  weekly p17, bimonthly ob appts, just completed my round of cervical length us, I think nst will also be in my future

Any questions / rants / raves? rave: happy my cervical length is good so no clerclage. Rant: I think my anxiety is increasing again. I am so worried about preterm labor I feel like I need to get everything done now.   

GTKY: Any plans for your first post-labor meal? Thai food or at least some good dessert
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Moorman27 first I'm very sorry for your loss. As far as the round ligament pains I've been getting them too. I've gotten them so bad that I couldnt tell if they were round ligament or actual contractions a couple times. No real advice but like most everything else I think drinking a lot of water  helps. 
  • @c1tym0m22 I'm taking 900mg ursodiol daily and 2 benadryl every night but I still itch like crazy. Today has been worse than ever. Currently waiting for my bpp today. Hopefully baby girl is still healthy
  • I'm new to this as well. I posted in February a few days ago. 

How far along are you?
    25+5

i have a dynamic and short cervix 

weekly ultrasounds and progesterone suppositories. 

this is my third pregnancy I had 2 previous full term births I just don't understand why this is happening this time around. 

a roast beef and fresh mozzarella hero with mayo and lettuce
  • @Allybiery sorry you are getting them too. I am working in more water!  Thanks
  • How far along are you? 

28+ 2

Shortened cervix, previous surgery (total colectomy), Graves' disease, and a new diagnosis of gestational diabetes (yes I know I have a lot of health complications)

Weekly ultrasounds/ OB appointments, high risk pregnancy monitoring, c section, progesterone and bedrest. 

Any questions / rants / raves? WWYD- I have the option of delivering at my local hospital (perks close to home, private room, more "attention", local family) versus delivery at big Toronto hospital (perks level 3 NICU, specialized OB, they see "special" pregnancies like mine every day) but 10 hours away. I'm leaning more towards going to Toronto, just wondering if anyone has been faced with a similar choice (all doctors are on board with whatever I choose)

GTKY: Any plans for your first post-labor meal? Sushi!!! 
  • EmeraldNCEmeraldNC member
    edited March 2017
    @lifeislove87 Are the doctors that are currently following you a the local hospital?  If you go to the Toronto hospital will all of those doctors be new to you?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @maybaby23 Hope all is well!

@Moorman27 I had some pretty terrible RLP with DD - I found that I just had to take it easy and drink a LOT of water. But it's no fun at all!

@lifeislove87 A few thoughts - does your local hospital have a NICU? If not, how close is the nearest one? Also, do you need to make this decision now - or can it be a bit more game-time when there's a better sense of what types of complications you're dealing with? It does sound like a "complicated" situation, but if the local docs are comfortable handling it, would you feel better about that?
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
  • I guess I go here now. 

How far along are you?
    25 weeks

Why are you high risk
    unexplained bleeding at 25 weeks/possible placenta abruption. 

Treatment plan/monitoring 
    Been in the hospital since yesterday afternoon, I was just moved to the mother/baby unit for the next day. They started steroids and tomorrow I will get the second dose. After I get out MFM will continue to monitor growth every two weeks for a while.

Rant/questions/raves
    I really don't want to be in the hospital any longer. 
    DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017

• @EmeraldNC I see both, my OB here (small town) sent me there for a consultation, that consultation turned into monthly visits. I've seen the high risk OB, GI, endocrinologist and will meet with the anesthesiologist there in May, they send all my ultrasounds/ bloodwork/reports there for the high risk OB to provide recommendations/ feedback. I would have the entire team in Toronto for the delivery. Here in small town I have a similar team (less experienced with all my complications). I honestly love the doctors in both places. Its such a hard decision because I would receive more "attention/support" in small town hospital but attention is not always a good thing if they have no idea what they're doing. Both doctors are open to whatever we choose (damn client centred care)

@c1tym0m22 we do have a NICU here, which is nice, it is only level one and only takes babies after 30 weeks. In an emergency I (and/or the baby) would be airlifted to the hospital in Toronto (that has a level 3 NICU). And you're right, this isn't a decision I have to make now, I could literally make it a week before I deliver (although I would need more than a week ideally because 10 hours is pretty far). 
  • @hopeful808 oh no ! That sounds terrifying. Sorry you are stuck in the hospital it's a hard place to be. Fingers crossed your placenta looks good and You are able to go back home 
  • @hopeful808 fingers crossed the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful
  • @lifeislove87 Totally anecdotal but this may be something to think about:

My cousin delivered a micro-preemie at the great hospital with the high level NICU, albeit a few hours away from their home. Wouldn't have traded that support and experience with her complications for anything.
    HOWEVER, her baby was in the NICU for months. Time, travel and cost to be with the baby were nearly crippling. 

Granted they have other children who needed "normal routine" and her husband needed to work as much as possible since they live in the US and leave laws are different here. 

If you decide on the Toronto hospital will you be close to full term? Or is there a chance you could have to spend significant time in Toronto for you and/or baby recovering?

• @c1tym0m22 my bpp last week was perfect 8/8. I have another one tomorrow morning so we get to see little miss(yippee!). Friday is my gd test and biweekly bloodwork. Hopefully everything comes back ok before my mfm visit next week.
  • Well had our weekly bpp this morning. Baby girl still scored perfect but it took a lot longer than it should have. They gave us a time limit for her movements and practice breaths. She did the minimum just before the time was up. Now I'm worried :(
  • @maybaby23 I totally understand and would feel the same way. Did you discuss with your doc what then next steps would be if baby girl didn't make it under the limit? Hang in there!!
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
  • Lurker with a question...I don't think I quite belong here, I just have a minor complication, but start weekly BPPs next week until delivery. 

Question: what do BPPs entail? Are they the same as NSTs? I've never had either a BPP or NST in any other pregnancy. 
  • @Stankonia2014 Friendly "lurkers" welcomed here! Here's the best answer I could find: https://americanpregnancy.org/prenatal-testing/biophysical-profile/
    If I'm reading it right, a BPP would include an NST....
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
  • @c1tym0m22, perfect! Thank you.
  • lifeislove87lifeislove87 member
    edited March 2017
    @silliegirlie143 thanks for the input, it was really actually good food for thought. at this point the goal is 35 weeks. I think there are lots of factors that would go into how long we are there for including how babies sugars are doing and if baby picked up antibodies from me (Graves diseases passes on antibodies to the newborn so baby has to be monitored after delivery even though I'm euthyroid thanks to radioactive iodine) and the typical feeding/growing of a NICU baby. My plan if we were in Toronto would be the Ronald McDonald house. I have family in the radius but I feel like it would be hard to impose on these people for a long time (not that close). I'm actually 45 minutes away from the "local" hospital so it's not like it's 5 minutes down the road (we are super rural) although it's an easy 45 minutes not 45 minutes to get two blocks like it is in Toronto, but DH would be able to still go to work everyday (we actually both work at the local hospital) and be able to make our own meals. Part of me just wishes that the decision could be made for me, I don't want to be stuck with the "what ifs" if something happens at either hospital.

I know the amount of stress and thought/stress/worry that I've put into this situation seems silly to some people but after four years of IF, miscarriage and all the complications in this pregnancy, this baby is everything 
  • @c1tym0m22 if we get less than 6/8 on a bpp it means we go to triage for monitoring, follow up bpp and they do an nst. I went for my bloodwork and GD test this morning. Been having major upper right quantrant pain the last week. Hopefully everything comes back ok. Maybe when when we see the mfm next week they will have some reassuring answers for me
  • @lifeislove87 I don't think think it's silly at all. I think it's absolutely normal to want to weigh your options and feel assured that you're making the right decisions for your family. There's a lot of pros and cons to both of your options. Good luck with making your choice! Oh if only life were easy enough that these tough choices get made for us!!