June 2017 Moms
Options

Crib mattress purchases?

Hi ladies,

have you purchased your crib mattress yet? If so, what did you go with? Last time I just purchased the mattress that came along with the model :-), however afterward I remember being lectured about all of the pros/cons that I should have weighed before purchasing. I'm going to buybuybaby tomorrow but don't want them to oversell me.  Besides being organic and different levels of softness on each side (for age), not sure what else is that important.  What have you purchased for your little ones?

Re: Crib mattress purchases?

• Options
    I find foam mattresses more comfortable than springs, so that is what I have bought for crib mattresses, too. I didn't bother investing in one with a softer toddler side because i figure they will be used to the firm mattress and keep sleeping fine on it as they get older. I'm not sure why they would suddenly need a softer mattress at age 1 or 2 or whatever. I also don't really think organic matters for stuff like this, but i haven't researched it. I doubt there are any actual studies done on the topic anyway. I have this one for dd, and I bought another one for this lo. It has held up well, it fits tight in a standard crib, and feels comfortable. We've been happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sealy-Soybean-Foam-Core-Mattress-pattern/dp/B001N4LE5M/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489198912&sr=8-1&keywords=Sealy+soy+core+crib+mattress
  • Options
    We literally just picked a middle price range Sealy brand from BRU.  I couldn't tell you anymore about it.  It's worked perfectly for DD and DS and now it will be used for this baby.  I've never really understood the whole organic mattress thing but I guess I've never really researched it either.  As long as mattress is firm and clean I think it does the job.  But that's just me! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have to have one made special for our crib, since it's not a standard size.  We'll be going with a foam one, since we both prefer foam over spring. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• Options
    I got one for free from a friend who has a 3y/o and has decided she's done with babies. It's only got one firmness, but by the time baby actually moves to the crib I'm not worried about it. TBH I'm kind of glad I don't have to bother researching all about mattress (other than standard "what is safe") and basically have at least this one item chosen for me. 
  • Options
    I got one for free from a friend who has a 3y/o and has decided she's done with babies. It's only got one firmness, but by the time baby actually moves to the crib I'm not worried about it. TBH I'm kind of glad I don't have to bother researching all about mattress (other than standard "what is safe") and basically have at least this one item chosen for me. 
    Same! I don't even remember what kind it is (it's a name brand from BRU though, and I know my friend doesn't pick junk for her kids). I was just grateful that I didn't have to stress over and research that one thing. It's been a great mattress; it fits the crib snugly and DS has seemed comfortable on it since we moved him to his crib at 2 months. 
  • Options
    I had a used mattress from a friend for DD as well. And I'll probably just try to find another one similar for this baby. It's a foam mattress and the outside is water proof which I LOVE. 
  • Options
    I find foam mattresses more comfortable than springs, so that is what I have bought for crib mattresses, too. I didn't bother investing in one with a softer toddler side because i figure they will be used to the firm mattress and keep sleeping fine on it as they get older. I'm not sure why they would suddenly need a softer mattress at age 1 or 2 or whatever. I also don't really think organic matters for stuff like this, but i haven't researched it. I doubt there are any actual studies done on the topic anyway. I have this one for dd, and I bought another one for this lo. It has held up well, it fits tight in a standard crib, and feels comfortable. We've been happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sealy-Soybean-Foam-Core-Mattress-pattern/dp/B001N4LE5M/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489198912&sr=8-1&keywords=Sealy+soy+core+crib+mattress
    ^ this is the one we have too.  This will be the 3rd kid to use it and it still looks and feels like when I bought it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    awillis13 said:

^ this is the one we have too.  This will be the 3rd kid to use it and it still looks and feels like when I bought it.
    I finally went to look at DS' mattress label and this is what we have as well! 
  • Options
    We got the Colgate Eco Classica III after I did a bunch of research. My favorite thing about it is how light weight it is, so it's super easy to take in and out to change the sheets and mattress cover. Also seems like it will be nice and comfy for our baby but of course it hasn't actually been used yet!

https://www.amazon.com/Colgate-Classica-firmness-Eco-Friendlier-mattress/dp/B004O6M4M8
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    @wifeinraleigh28 We have the 2014 version of the one you got - been super happy with it, and have indeed found it easy to maneuver for sheet changes!
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • Options
    We got a Serta Perfect Embrace crib mattress. It's a little firm but still very comfortable. It was a gift for my DD's baby shower and we plan on using that same one for DS.

DH: 35 | Me: 29
    BFP #1- 07.25.12, EDD: 03.24.13, DD born 03.26.13
    Surprised BFP #2- 02.25.15, EDD: 10/29/15 |*m/c 7w4d, D&C 04.02.2015 
    BFP #3- 01.21.16, EDD: 09.29.26 |*m/c-blighted ovum 2.19.16 8w1d, D&C 03.04.16 
    BFP #4- 05.24.16, EDD: 02.04.17 |*natural m/c-  07.08.16, 9w1d
    BFP #5- 09/25/16, EDD: 06.07.17 GROW
    , BABY, GROW! 

• Options
    DH did the research and ended up buying the beauty rest black memory foam infant mattress. It was $50 off at babies r is, which was probably the real reason he wanted it! Lol
  • Options
    I just ordered the one that came with my crib at pottery barn for DS1 - it has held up and he seems to sleep well with it. 

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15