March 2017 Moms

GBS positives

I apologize if there is another thread with this information, I searched and couldn't find it. I had my 38 weeks apointment and was told I am GBS positive. Has anyone else had any experiences with this? I'm so upset that I was given the news but my OB just mentioned they will have to give me antibiotics when I go into labours.  Any other personal experiences would be welcomed!

Re: GBS positives

• I'm GBS positive. Wasn't with my 17 month old son. I'm not overly concerned. It's a naturally occurring bacteria on the vagina and anus that MAY cause complications. From what I understand doc just wants me to go to L&D sooner rather than later. Ideally they need a 4 hour period to administer the antibiotic. I wouldn't stress too much mama, it's super common and they know what they're dealing with. 
  • I'm GBS+ too. They want me to come in immediately if my water breaks, but aren't worried if I go into labor without my water breaking. I can still labor at home for a while.

They want me to get at least 1 dose of the antibiotics before I deliver (it takes ~30 min for the dose) and then they give another dose every 4 hours after that. If I can't complete a dose before delivery, they'll just keep an closer eye on baby.

It's really not a huge deal. I would have liked to have gone without the IV, but its more important that I get the antibiotics for LO.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• Loading the player...
  • I was GBS positive. I had penicillin through my IV every 4 hours during my induction. The penicillin burned pretty bad if it wasn't well diluted. So ask them to dilute it as much as possible!
    You will also need to stay 48 hours after baby is born for them to monitor baby for signs of infection.

• Thank you ladies for all for your responses! It has eased some worried. I've been measuring small and it was like just ANOTHER thing to worry about!
  • I'm GbS positive and my midwife wasn't to concerned. She said many of their patients opt out of the antibiotics. I was also GBS with my second child. I had a midwife but I had her in a hospital and they made sure I got my 2 doses before they broke my water. I talked to my midwife yesterday and she said that once I go into labor they will make the determination because if I progress to fast there is no need for me to get it. I would just have to monitor her breathing for the next few days.

• I am GBS positive and allergic to pennicillan.  I got a couple doses of antibiotics pre-delivery (2) and have had no problems.  Baby girl didn't have any problems either.  I think they monitored her a little more for fever, etc.  I was anxious too, but everything was okay.  Let me know if you have any specific questions!
    Me: 36  DH: 35.
    Married: 8/2005.
    BFP: 6/22/2016 EDD: 3/4/2017.
  • I found out when I was admitted to the hospital that I was GBS positive after being told I was negative at my appointment. I arrived at the hospital fully dilated.. so I didn't have any time to get the antibiotic. We had to stay in for two days to be monitored (where I would have considered early discharge). An interesting fact was that since my water didn't break until I was fully dilated, that his risk of exposure was really low. They said they get more concerned if your water has broken and it takes 24 hours to deliver. Either way.. it will be ok!! 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker