March 2017 Moms

Third Time Mamas... stop & start labor? uncontrollable shaking?

I'm 38 weeks tomorrow with my third. Lost mucus plug last week, have had spotting for the past week, and three nights ago I woke up from strong, consistent contractions and lots of pressure around what I assume was my cervix. This was all accompanied by some random uncontrollable shaking for 15-20 minutes, started in my upper, inner thighs and quickly moved to my entire body. Really freaked me out... I wasn't cold or feverish or anything. I could have sworn I was going into labor by everything I was feeling & comparing that to my first two labors, but after the shaking stopped I waited to see if the contractions would get as painful as they did when I went into hospital with my second -- never got as painful so I didn't call, tried to go back to sleep and see if it progressed but they tapered off by mid-morning. Been having strong contractions that come and go ever since, more than braxton hicks but haven't really progressed into anything. My midwife told me that with third and subsequent pregnancies labor tends to stop and start... a slow progression and then faster delivery. Anyone experience contractions with uncontrollable shaking? Third time (or beyond) mamas... is this the stop and start labor my midwife was talking about? Anyone else having similar experiences?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Third Time Mamas... stop & start labor? uncontrollable shaking?

• I am not a third time mom, but I do know that sometimes when when feel contractions they simultaneously get uncontrollable shaking in other places too. Something about the interaction of oxytocin and adrenaline, maybe? It's like your body has an almost shock like reaction. I know in my second labor even when my contractions weren't that bad my legs would shake ridiculously during contractions so that I couldn't stand it walk. I have no idea about this happening during prelabir or labor stopping and starting, though. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes I had a night (about 5 days before my third was born) where I had uncomfortable contractions and shaking for about 2 hours. I think the shaking was from adrenaline. But I went to bed and they stopped.

I had a nurse tell me, first labor is slow, second labor is fast, and third labor is the wild card.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not a third time mom - just had my second-but I had shaking with both during the labors. So the shaking part of things wouldn't concern me.  I'm sorry that you're dealing with this start and stop of things-hope it turns into the real deal soon.
  • I just had my second, but I had two days of stop and start contractions. My OB thought it was prodromal labor - I was dilated to a 5 by the time I went to the hospital. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker