August 2017 Moms

Diapers- disposable, cloth or mix?

As was suggested in another thread, starting a diaper discussion. Leave your advice, comments, questions below. :)
My first question is- has anyone used these? Flushable inserts, compostable (#1 only) 
https://www.gdiapers.com/
Pregnancy Ticker
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Diapers- disposable, cloth or mix?

• With my first, I did a mix of both! Cloth at home and disposables at daycare/out and about. My favorite cloth diapers are bumgenius, blueberry, and thirsties. I've had friends who have used gdiapers and I've heard mixed reviews. One friend loved them and another friend said they weren't very absorbable. No personal experience with them though!
  • Same as above, cloth at home. Daycare won't use cloth:( we use honest company at daycare because they will at least break down eventually. And my fave cloth diapers are lil helpers AI2s. The charcoal inserts seem to work best for us. DS was small at birth so we used swaddlers disposables until he was about 10 lbs or so and the cloth diapers actually fit him. 

Check out https://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/ for awesome info on all things cloth diapering 
  • Loading the player...
  • This becomes another one of those big debates for parents as they prep for their first child. Know there is no right or wrong choice. Some kids are allergic to disposables and some kids are allergic to the cloth used in cloth diapers or the detergent used to clean the diapers.  Do what works for your family :)

If you want to do cloth, ask around to find daycares that will accept cloth or ask a daycare if they would do it. There are lots of daycares around us that will take cloth or even consider it if you ask. 

We strictly did cloth after DD was two weeks old. We only did disposables for the first two weeks so that I didn't have to do laundry after having a csection (DH seems to forget how a washing machine works). And of course if she had a rash that creams to treat it were not cloth friendly. We used Blueberry newborns and then switched to Bumgenius Freetimes once she was big enough for them. We use Sustainablebabyish for overnight with a fleece or wool cover. We will do cloth for this LO as well. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I've always been interested in cloth diaper, but I've honestly never been around anyone using them. I'd have to read up a lot more on how that process works before I fully commit though.
  • 100% check with daycares before committing.  I really wanted to CD my first, but they daycare we liked most and felt most comfortable with flat out refused to do it. We ended up going with disposables and the daycare we loved, instead of cloth and the daycare that we thought was just okay. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I did a mix of both. Cloth at home and disposable at daycare. 
    This one won't be at daycare so it will probably be mostly cloth, but I'm okay with having a disposable from time to time. 
    I have bumgenius and lalabye from my first, so cost is free to diaper this one other then changing a few elastics. 
  • I'm on the fence about cloth, but if I were to go cloth how many would you recommend starting with? Is going cloth more time consuming?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited December 2016
    @Kathryn0903 I haven't cloth diapered myself, but I know people who have. Pros: cheaper over time, better for environment since they can be reused. Cons: have to wash them and / or throw out inserts depending on what kind.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @Kathryn0903 cloth is definitely more time consuming for sure. The bigger your stash is, the less often you have to wash. This might sound weird but I never minded washing diapers and I hate laundry. Maybe because they were so cute!

We mainly did it to save money and I feel like we definitely accomplished that. Especially since we already have a stash to use for baby #2 this time around. After my DS's poo became solid, I ditched the cloth at home. I couldn't do it even with the sprayer and liners. 

The other thing I would say is cloth required a lot of research upfront, especially deciding which types were best for us and wash routines. I had a big baby with thick legs so certain kinds didn't fit him for very long. 

And the fluffloveuniversity website is a great resource that @dmbfan46835 mentioned above!
  • Stupid question: how many diapers a day are we talking about? It's been a while since I was nanny to an infant.

Less stupid: for cloth, what's this rinsing/washing process like? How quickly do you need to/like to do the load of laundry? Do you mix with other laundry or is it a load of diapers?
  • lyse01 said:
    Stupid question: how many diapers a day are we talking about? It's been a while since I was nanny to an infant.

Less stupid: for cloth, what's this rinsing/washing process like? How quickly do you need to/like to do the load of laundry? Do you mix with other laundry or is it a load of diapers?
    If LO is EBF'd, no rinsing of the CDs is needed. So during that time, I just put the dirty diapers (urine and poop) into the pail liner bag (I have it in a flip top trash can) and put them in the washing machine using Tide Powder. Once solids are introduced, we use a sprayer hooked up to the toilet to spray poop off the diapers before putting them in the pail liner. Then I do a load of CDs, again using Tide Powder. The only other items that go in with my CDs are cloth wipes (I made them from flannel and terry cloth), wet bags, and pail liners. How often you need to wash depends on how large a stash you have. I personally did diaper laundry every third day. As others have mentioned, Fluff Love University is an awesome resource for everything washing diapers. HTH!?

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• bumpybump said:
    lyse01 said:
    Stupid question: how many diapers a day are we talking about? It's been a while since I was nanny to an infant.

If LO is EBF'd, no rinsing of the CDs is needed. 

------QBF----

This statement always worried me when I was first getting into cloth, so I feel I should share that you don't need to rinse if baby is exclusively formula fed, either. Just once solids are introduced. :-)
  • And then there's the disposable/flushable liners with cloth covering. So far not many have used them. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I used cloth covers and flour sack towels too. Super cheap option.
    I probably have 50 diapers lol but you don't need that many 
    Washing is easy. Rinse. Wash with soap. Rinse and hang. Once solids are introduced then you need to add the dump into the toilet stage. 
    You keep a wet bag or pail liner with them and it actually smelled less then a diaper genie. I went every 3 days doing laundry with my stash. You ideally don't want to go longer then that.
    Our water bill didn't change much considering we added a whole extra persons worth of laundry and more. 

• I'm loving all the CD advice and insights. One of the few things regarding motherhood I really am dead set on is CD as much as possible. Husband is against it now but I'll keep on pushing my CD agenda. I have until August to change his mind.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bringing back this discussion. Any affordable brands you recommend? If I do laundry every 2-3 days, how many to start with? Do others get the newborn size or just use disposables from the beginning? What's the whole toilet sprayer thing? Seriously considering this if it will save us money especially if we plan on having more kids down the line. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 100% disposable here. Definitely not ANTI-cloth diapering, it just didn't fit for us. On DD's 2nd birthday, we bought her underwear and committed to potty training.
  • We really wanted to do cloth diapers before DD1 was born. We received about half of the stash we wanted (a dozen or so bumgenuis originals) as a gift off of our registry, and then purchased another dozen grovia ones ourselves. We ended up returning the grovias. We were moving overseas and it just seemed so daunting after disposables. Finally we tried them just at home & mostly at night (after she had started solids). Holy moly. We really tried but idk.. maybe we needed a different diaper pale/liner. But the smell of the CD after even 2 days was too much.. plus the bumgenius ones are the pocket kind. I wish we had AI1's but excited to see what other words of wisdom everyone has because I'd love to try again with this LO, after the meconium poos though!
  • @kathryn0903 we use Lil Helper CDs. They are AI2s. DS is 18mos and they have held up great. I plan to add to my stash for DD since a lot of his diapers are boy colors. Maybe get another 10 or so. And I have the Ubbi diaper pail and LOVE IT. Also get a large well made wet bag and that can keep the smell to a minimum. Highly recommend. We also have the toilet sprayer and usually his BMs just roll right out into the toilet. I wash them isuallly about every 2 days and air dry on a rack for about 2 days. I will dry outside once it gets ice out. I CD all weekend and most nights. But we do use disposables occasionally as well. I love honest company over nights for when he stays at MILs or when daddy get him ready for bed. He's still not a huge fan of CD. And our daycare provides their own diapers as part of the tuition. CD isn't as daunting as it may seem, promise. But it's a commitment for sure. 
  • @dmbfan46835 what are the advantages of those over AI1s? Isn't an AI1 just easier to deal with?
    I'm planning on using a mix of disposable and cloth but I'm still not sure on what type of cloth. 
  • dmbfan46835dmbfan46835 member
    edited March 2017
    @livlew I'm adding pics. I think it helps explain them. I like these because they snap right in. Some people will reuse a cover if it's not soiled but I never do. And when they are tiny you can use the smaller insert. Then as the get bigger and pee more (lol) you can use the larger one or double up and use both. I usually just unsnap them and throw them in his wet bag or pail so it's super easy to just dump them right into the washer. I have a couple AI1s but I just fell in love with the lil helpers. And their customer service is amazing. They send you little gifts wth your orders too. 
  • I envy CD moms. If I was a FTM, I would totally go for it, but laundry for a family of 6 is going to be crazy enough! 100% disposables here. 
  • @dmbfan46835 do you wash the covers with the inserts? Throw them in the pail as well?
  • @livlew I do them all together in the same load. I haven't had the smelly issues that some people have had either. i think a lot of that is due to the frequency that I wash them and how long I let them dry before throwing them back into rotation maybe? 

@pinkprincesspiper I can't even imagine laundry for 6! Ugh!
  • Because I'm trying to figure out the differences and pros/cons in CDs and visuals are helpful: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4WAKv_9VGlw

25 min or so video on the available varieties, before we even get into brands.

(SO watches YouTube constantly...this is going straight to his inbox!)

• @pinkprincesspiper I can't even imagine laundry for 6! Ugh!
    Laundry for 5 currently is hard enough to keep up! What was I thinking?!  :D
  • I hate doing laundry and don't have a lot of time to do it during the week so we were 100% disposable and plan to do the same this time around. At every diaper change for DD I would use a cheap cloth diaper insert (Gerber sells packs of them) to dry DD's bum after using wipes. That out of everything prevented diaper rash the most for us. 
  • I'm planning to do cloth in the day and disposable at night. A friend of mine is gifting me her entire set of Charlie Banana pocket diapers. I always did a mix with my other children. Cloth diapering has come a long way as far as options in the past 10-20 years! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @livlew, I use a few different type  & brands if you want to see some more pictures. I love AIO but my hubby and mom can never get a good fit. I have Pockets for them. We also used a AI2 system, but my son is so large (he's 35lbs and 35inches at 21 months) that the brand we had no longer fit well. We also use a specific AI2 brand at night, which I love for night, but it too bulky for day time use. 
  • Disposables with baby #1 and I exclusively did cloth with babies #2 and #3, I did a mix with baby #4.  Baby #5 has been disposable and #6 might be a mix of disposable and cloth (though like @PinkPrincessPiper mentioned, having to do laundry for a large family ~ there will be 8 of us! ~ might be more laundry than I'd care to tackle). Both have pros and cons.  At different times one has worked more easily for our family than the other just depending on where we are living and what else was going on in our life at the time.
    Eliza 
    Married to a pharmacist
    Mother of two boys, three girls, and one more little boy on the way!
    Two time miscarriage survivor.
    So happy to be expecting our sixth child in August 2017!

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mango517Mango517 member
    edited March 2017
    I'm a freak that loves doing laundry (it's the only household chore I do well), so I know CD is right up my alley in that respect. Since I work from home and have a small family, I'm going to try really hard to CD full time at home and only use disposables when we travel. My plan is to stock a variety of styles and brands, figuring out which type works best for us and then buy more of that brand.

I plan to have a stock of the Green Mountain Diaper Workhorse fitted for the newborn/early days when they need a million diaper changes per day. I like how easy and simple those seem. Plus they are cheap!

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Kudlica27 may you tell me the diapers names/brands?
  • @LivLew my AIO our Smartbottoms, my pockets are Bumgenius (I think I have an Alva and Imagine pocket at my parents), I have Best Bottom Covers, and a few thirstiest newborn covers. I also have Grovia Ones that we use overnight. An dI think I have some Bamboo Imagine AI2 somewhere! 
  • First was cloth and home and disposable at daycare. 

This one I'll be home and plan on cloth.

We used bumgenius and lalabye baby with the first. Pulled them all out already. Excited to use them again. 
  • I'm quite envious of all you women who plan to CD! I am also a laundry freak and just love the feeling of pulling warm clothes out of the dryer and not having dirty laundry around in general. With that being said, the daycare we are totally set on will CD with us, but tuition includes disposable diapers, wipes, and food. With that being said, I am going to get what I'm paying for and let them do disposables. I really want to CD to save money but when the diaper bill is cut in half thanks to them, it is a pretty even split when I DD or CD. I'm anti-pregnancy right now and never plan to do this again, so I have a hard time thinking it will save me money on all the future kids. lol. Anybody else in this same situation and what did you choose??? I'm afraid it would be hard to do both. I'll have to send him in a CD to daycare and then at pick-up make sure I get my 1 single diaper back. And do I really want to only do half loads of laundry or wait 6 days between loads? Sounds gross to me...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @bumpybump thanks so much for all the info! Do you like the AIOs and are they easy to use? I saw you mentioned using something different for nighttime. Do the AIOs not work for nighttime?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Have any of you used the "swimming" cloth diapers?
  • @Kathryn0903 yes, AIOs are super easy to use. Just like a disposable only you may have to spray it, put it in a bin instead of the trash, and wash. LOVE that I don't have to stuff them (we had some pockets when we started and I got rid of those fast). The AIOs worked at night initially but as she grew, she produced more urine and would soak through them. Some people are able to add extra pads and make them work. Our DD just pees a lot at night. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker