June 2016 Moms
Options

Flying with Baby questions

Good morning! FTM here and we're taking our first flight this Friday - 1st segment is 1hr long, 2nd segment is 3 hours long. LO is formula fed and 9 months 1 week old. Here are my questions:

1. How much powder formula can I pack? Can I pack 3-4 baby bottles already filled with baby water? Or should I just use regular bottled water.
2. If I take ready to feeds, how much can I take?
3. I can take Gerbers in the carry-on diaper bag, right?
4. LO does not use a pacifier - is it recommended that I feed him at take-off?

Re: Flying with Baby questions

• Options
    I made 3-4 8oz bottles of formula when I've flown. 1 for the airport, 1 for the flight, 1 for the arrival airport and drive to destination, and a back-up if I want to have one. All of them were stored in a little cooler bag with icepack and heated as needed. I found that heating up one right before boarding made it less stressful on the plane since it was ready to go.

Feeding during take-off and landing depends on if you LO is in your lap or seated in a carrier. Some airlines won't let you feed during those times if your LO is in your lap. In those cases, Damien sucked on my finger (he doesn't like pacis). 

I've travelled across the border with an unopened large container of formula without issue but I'm not sure about flying with something like that TBH. Ready to feed should be the same as bottles, take however much you think your LO will need. They usually don't limit (or enforce limits) on baby-related food. That said, some agents are difficult. You can bring baby food (like Gerber) onboard, no problem. 

I packed his favorite toys to keep him occupied, as well as a couple of books, spare change of clothes, and of course diaper stuff. Some planes don't have changing tables so try to chang you LO right before boarding and once you land if you can wait it out.
  • Options
    So I might be in the minority but I only travel with 2 bottles in my carry on. I bring a little thing of soap so I can wash one if I need to. I have the bottles filled with water and an extra bottle of water. I use one of the containers you can pre measure the formula in and then just dispense one bottle at a time. The container has three compartments so I can get three bottles out of it. I bring snacks and a couple of toys. We usually fly no more then 3 hrs so that has always gotten me through. I do have my extra bottles in a baggie in my suitcase so if I need another after we landed it's easy to get to. Since we travel with multiple kids less is more. My boys carry on backpacks and have snacks, books, headphones, and an iPad. I travel by myself more often then with my husband so I really try to have as little as possible. I hope you have a great trip!