June 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: International Women's Day

Happy International Women's Day everyone!

Are you doing anything special to commemorate today? Or participating in the day without a woman strike?

Re: GTKY: International Women's Day

• Options
    I would like to say yes... But I didn't know that was today oops.
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM, so going on strike isn't an option for me. I did however call my state representatives here in Texas to oppose the transgender bathroom bill the senate is trying to pass. I also made a small donation to the local Women's shelter here in Dallas. I'm hoping to eventually volunteer my time there too once DS is a little older. I know it's not much, but I wanted to do something for other women in the community.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went to work today because the Navy says I have to and they don't care whether I'm male or female. 
  • Options
    Wearmi1 said:
    I went to work today because the Navy says I have to and they don't care whether I'm male or female. 
    I hear ya. Not sure how I even feel about the whole going on strike thing honestly, but I am glad there is an international day celebrating women. We deserve it.
  • Options
    swanbroonerswanbrooner member
    edited March 2017
    We had the end of season banquet for our middle school cheer team tonight. I considered taking off work in the day, not so much on strike or protest, but to grade essays. Celebrating a group of girls who are becoming wonderful young women felt like the perfect event for this day. 

• Options
    I left work early and didn't spend any money.  And then went home, sat on the couch, and binge watched Netflix. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• Options
    I also left work early (systems were down) and did nothing other than take my girls to gymnastics. 
  • Options
    Elyse1384 said:
    Well I'll probably get flamed for this. I don't see the point to skipping out on work and not purchasing necessary items. We all know the huge contributions women make to the market.  The same can be said for men.  Statistically speaking, half of the global population are women and half men... so we all know what would happen if one group just didn't participate anymore.  What is the end game to hurting our economy and rendering necessary services unavailable?  Many closures yesterday hurt fellow women... 
    I see your point. Wasn't the original intention of the day to recognize working women (as it was originally working women's day, which manifested into just women's day)? I don't see the point in boycotting work and purchases. I had no intention of leaving work, nor did I do it in protest. Our systems just happened to be down thanks to the data plant in Philly, so I left work.

International Women's Day merged with A Day without a Woman, but I kind of feel like the two are counterproductive. 
  • Options
    @Stankonia2014 Oh systems going down are my favorite days!  I feel like a kid getting let out of school early due to weather.