September 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Ash Wednesday & Lent

labby18labby18 member
edited March 2017 in September 2017 Moms

For all Catholics and those of Christian faith who follow the Lenten season, Pregnant and Nursing mothers are exempt from fasting and abstaining from meat on the holy days and Fridays. I meant to post this earlier. 

GTKY: What are you giving up for Lent?

Eta bold and GTKY question 

Re: GTKY: Ash Wednesday & Lent

• Options
    I'm not sure! I'm still trying to do no meat, just not fasting. I'm trying to do a few behavior changes, stay calmer, use better language. This pregnancy has me a tad more short fused than normal. Normally I give up a food I love, fries, chocolate, etc. but being pregnancy I love one thing one day and hate it the next. Also trying to do more spiritual reading (bible and books on religious people). How about you?
  • Options
    I am giving up negative thoughts - or at least trying to. I am going to try to focus on all the positives and try to seriously reduce all negativity in my life. Let's see how this goes!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @GracefulStar i usually give up food items too, but I dont want to risk it with pregnancy and the ups and downs of different aversions. I tend to think of negative things before positive things in any situation, and I want to work on that and really try to strengthen my marriage and faith in God even more. I'm considering journaling.
  • Options
    Alcohol  ;) lol just kidding. I'm not catholic but I do like lent. Last year I gave up cursing. not sure about this year. 
  • Options
    Journaling might be a good start. I used to but haven't in a while. Maybe before you over think what's wrong you could "require" that you come up with two positive thoughts first? I think you are making a good start with recognizing a weakness you want to address. It's hard taking a deep look inside yourself, sometimes I try too hard to justify my behavior or reasoning but it's an excuse. I heard that praying together helps a lot in a marriage. We try but his schedule doesn't always lend to it. 
  • Options
    @GracefulStar
    My DH is active duty military and with his current assignment he travels A LOT and his schedule changes frequently. We got a 31 day devotional book to strengthen marriage and to serve one another that we are going to do once he gets back next week. I'm excited for Lent actually lol.
  • Options
    I've tried tried to fast as much as I can but it's hard with the nausea. I know we don't have to, but catholic guilt. I'm trying to give up yelling and be a better mom. (Judge Away. It's hard with a 16 and 11 yo) 

• Options
    DPandMB said:
    I've tried tried to fast as much as I can but it's hard with the nausea. I know we don't have to, but catholic guilt. I'm trying to give up yelling and be a better mom. (Judge Away. It's hard with a 16 and 11 yo) 

CATHOLIC GUILT IS SO REAL
  • Options
    @DPandMB I need to work on the yelling too. No judgement here. My MIL says she yelled at one of her sons once and she thinks that's why he has a short temper. Lol I feel she would faint if she heard me yell. 
  • Options
    Kimby883Kimby883 member
    edited March 2017
    I am still going to give up the meat but I love me the lent fish fries every Friday in my area also crawfish boils! I wasn't prepared for today and had no protein other than meat so I ate coleslaw and a Popeyes biscuit for lunch. But crawfish casserole for dinner. 

I am giving up my phone while my daughter is awake. I am a sahm mom so I am trying to be more present when she's awake with me. (She's in the bath with daddy right now) 
  • Options

I'm adding a daily Lenten devotional, and performing a daily act of charity. You guys and DH are the only ones I've told I'm doing it, because I feel very strongly that they should be done in secret, an act of love just between me and God.
    Completely agree with you! My MIL is famous for this! She has a heart of gold, but then will brag about her acts to everyone and anyone. One of my biggest pet peeves about her! Also good for you! 
  • Options
    Kimby883 said:
    I am still going to give up the meat but I love me the lent fish fries every Friday in my area also crawfish boils! I wasn't prepared for today and had no protein other than meat so I ate coleslaw and a Popeyes biscuit for lunch. But crawfish casserole for dinner. 

I am giving up my phone while my daughter is awake. I am a sahm mom so I am trying to be more present when she's awake with me. (She's in the bath with daddy right now) 
    Yes! Craw daddies and fish fries!!! The Knights of Columbus are doing a fish fry at church every Friday! And I love a good craw boil!!
  • Options
    DH tells me every Lent he loves that he married a Catholic because I know where's all the best fish fry places are! Lol
  • Options
    Guilty pleasure...the only time of year I eat McDonalds is Lent for their fish sandwich...but Wendy's sandwiches are better.
  • Options
    I'm not Catholic. Methodist. I did get my ashes today. Instead of giving anything up, I'm doing a challenge my old pastor suggested. I did it last year too. I will only listen to Christian music on the radio until Easter. No more rock music on the way to work. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    Some years you pick the penance, other years it picks you! I've been having a complicated pregnancy and have been under alot of stress. It has really opened my eyes because I know the doctors can do nothing at this point (14w) and my baby is in God's hands. I have offered up all of my suffering to our Lord.

I also have started to pray to St. Gerard (patron of expectant mothers) and my sweet parents had a medal blessed and gave it to me before my ultrasound yesterday (healthy, growing baby)! 

St. Gerard met a young girl and gave her a handkerchief stating that someday she may need it. Years later the girl married and became pregnant. She went into labor and had complications. She asked for the handkerchief and laid it upon her. Miraculously, baby was born healthy and momma was healthy too (very uncommon in the 1800s)! I have some other mom friends who wear a St. Gerard medal when giving birth.
  • Options
    Lol i am a terrible person and decided I gave up a whole lot lately but then I felt guilty and decided that instead I'm going to try to make a daily effort to be more positive and worry less.
  • Options
    That's such a great idea @amandarene112! Love it!
    April Siggy Challenge--Creepy Easter Bunny

• Options
    I have been sleeping in on Sundays because I'm so so so tired and my work schedule has me working most Saturdays. I'm going to make an effort to get back to going! I do miss it!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @Toshandbaby i am going to look into St Gerard. I have all sorts of Saint stuff for different things, but hadn't heard of him. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    @lahearn18

I just got the results back from my ultrasound and doctor says the previous problem has resolved! My parents gave me the blessed medal just before the exam! However we did find out that my placenta is partially covering my cervix, but that is a much better diagnosis than I got two weeks ago!
  • Options
    I wondered about that. I haven't been able to eat much meat anyway, but I wasn't able to fast on Wednesday. Good to know that I didn't have to anyway! I like adding things that I should be doing for Lent to bring me closer to God. This year, since I know my outlook hasn't always been the best with feeling so sick, I am writing what I am thankful for every day. It keeps me in check! :)
  • Options
    Too nauseous to think but for now, staying positive. Trying to pray more
  • Options
    stephy_pstephy_p member
    edited March 2017
    @amandarene112 I was raised Baptist, and I concur...Baptists adequately guilt their children as well, lol!!!

Something I've never understood about Lent....Why does fish not count as meat?
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• Options
    @stephy_p
    Because it's not from land I do believe. 
  • Options
    At church this past sunday a thought came to me...soonish I won't be able to use the kneelers because my belly will too big to lean up against the next pew. Lol.
  • Options
    Alcohol. And thanks for the good ideas... I'm also going to try to be more patient with my 2yo. Really has proven to be difficult lately. Not sure if it's me or her, but she will *not* listen when I tell her "no" or "stop doing that" lately. Definitely missing the alcohol about now...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @hatrats right there with you on a 2yo who won't listen. It seems to have gotten worse this month but she is great for DH. She's such a dad's girl. I have a niece who is 6 months older so I see 6 months in my future and she had a phase too of not listening and then she was great. Now she is gearing up for the 3 year old stage! 

@stephy_p I think fish doesn't count for the same reason vegetarians can eat seafood.