June 2017 Moms
Options

Gallbladder Issues

has anyone had gallbladder issues while pregnant? I had really severe pain during my first pregnancy and it's starting up again this time. My doctor mentioned taking it out. Has anyone had experience with getting there's taken out? 

Re: Gallbladder Issues

• Options
    No advice or experience to share, but sending hugs.
  • Options
    I had mine out, but not while pregnant. Does your doctor want to do it while you're pregnant or after you deliver?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had mine out two months post partum. The dr said it is very common for women who are pregnant or just had a baby. The gall bladder attack was worse pain than labor hands down!

Would you have to wait until after the baby for surgery? The surgery was quick for me but I put it off for a few days so I could build up a large pump supply to help get baby through my rough patch of anesthesia and pain meds.
  • Options
    I had some sharp pain near my shoulder blade Sunday and that set off gallbladder alarms for me. Hoping it was nothing
  • Options
    Yes, she said that there's a chance that I would get it taken out while pregnant. She said it wasn't a huge deal. I'm more concerned with how people felt after it was taken out. How did it change your body afterwards?
  • Options
    It is generally considered safe to have it removed in the second trimester, if symptoms are bad enough. 
    Me: 36 DH: 37
    Married May 2013
    TTC #1: April 2016 (Mirena removed March 2016 after 2.5 years)a
    BFP #1: 10/14/16 - DD born 6/2017  <3
    TTC #2 November 2018 (Mirena removed October 2018 after 1 year)
    BFP #2 9/11/19 - EDD 5/24/20 - DD born 5/2020 <3
    TTC #3 May 2022 (Mirena removed after almost 2 years)
    BFP #3 11/24/23 - EDD 7/30/24

• Options
    I've known a couple people that had it out during pregnancy and they were fine afterwards. I had mine taken out months after giving birth. If I overate at all I would have intense pain and vomiting, unlike anything I've ever felt before. Once it was out I felt like a new person(and without my eating restrictions gained way too much weight lol). The surgery was quick and recovery was a about a week or so.

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• Options
    @neludelu I was told some people need to change their diet after because your body will not have as much of a regulator for fatty foods. I personally did not notice much of a difference. If I have a really bad eating day once in awhile (lots of fried or greasy food) I might get more cramps or the runs but this does not happen very often. Pretty much business as usual for me.
  • Options
    I also felt like a new person when I had mine out. If it's laproscopic, it's not as big a deal as the old surgery used to be. Good luck! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    I too had mine out but not while pregnant. Like pp said it can effect people differently I know some that had a huge change with food sensitivities. The only thing that happened to me was heart burn.  I never had it before until surgery. Good luck though it's no fun having gall attacks. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My MIL had hers removed a few years ago, and has regretted it ever since. Everything upsets her stomach now, no matter how healthy she eats, and she now has urgent and unexpected races to the bathroom. I'm pretty sure she's a worst case scenario, but she really wishes that she'd tried altering her diet before rushing into surgery. 

Hopefully, whatever you choose, your result will be much, much better.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    @neludelu- I had mine removed a few years ago, although admittedly not pregnant. Recovery is pretty easy from the laparoscopic surgery; I found the worst part was the aching from the air that they inject. I did use the vicadin though. Those gallbladder attacks are terrible, thank god that is over! I do have sensitivity to fatty foods, as some have mentioned. But... we shouldn't really eat like that anyways, right?!?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've had this aching soreness to my right shoulder blade for weeks and assumed it was from one of the dogs pulling during a walk. But due to the weather we haven't walked in over a week and some days it's fine but others it's bad.  This weekend I noticed I ate a ton of junk at a birthday party and 1-2 hours later I had this retching pain in my shoulder. Luckily my OB appointment is tomorrow so I plan to bring it up but I'm thinking it's diet/gallbladder related. 
  • Options
    shmarpler said:
    My MIL had hers removed a few years ago, and has regretted it ever since. Everything upsets her stomach now, no matter how healthy she eats, and she now has urgent and unexpected races to the bathroom. I'm pretty sure she's a worst case scenario, but she really wishes that she'd tried altering her diet before rushing into surgery. 

Hopefully, whatever you choose, your result will be much, much better.
    Thank you for this post. I've only heard positive things about having it removed. I'm trying to clean up my diet before I make a decision.
  • Options
    Gallstones confirmed ladies (womp womp). So give me some inspiration to eat well!!  What are your favorite gallstone friendly snacks and meals!! Mama is getting hangry over here. 
  • Options
    kmd0501 said:
    Gallstones confirmed ladies (womp womp). So give me some inspiration to eat well!!  What are your favorite gallstone friendly snacks and meals!! Mama is getting hangry over here. 
    I've noticed a big difference since I stopped eating pizza and drinking soda. Although life without pizza is painful.
  • Options
    @kmd0501 low fat is the way to go. You don't want to trigger the gallbladder to try to pump bile, obviously, into the GI tract. Good luck!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    well alcohol was what did me in...biggest gall attack was new years day after my 21st bday so of course i was drinking it up so you have a leg up on that one :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine was only controlled by cutting my portions down. I had to stop eating before feeling full. My first attack was after some amazing sangria and Portuguese food. I thought I had gained an allergy to alcohol or something, thank goodness that wasn't the case lol.

Every now and then the attacks would just happen even on a good eating day. I just ate really light during those months before having my surgery. It was the unknown attacks that made me just decide to get the surgery, it was too painful. 

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!