July 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

• @oheliza44 Love the advice above and wanted to add that the storage lids for bottles in the fridge are fantastic.  You can turn the top to let you know what day of the week you pumped.  I think it was just called Medela Breastmilk Storage Solution.  Also, you can register for pump part cleaning wipes if you're ever pumping on the go.  You might also consider a nipple shield.  Ideally you won't need it but it's good to have on hand just in case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @LuLiLaEv thanks SO much! This is all such useful information. 
  • oheliza44 said:
    This is a pretty loaded question, so I apologize for the length. There has been a lot of chatter about breastfeeding and pumping and different items that STM found useful or absolutely necessary to get them through. I am completely clueless about breastfeeding in general so this is a big hole in my registry and I am hoping some STM can help me out. First question, do you typically put breastfeeding stuff on your registry? Since it isn't an "exciting gift" I didn't know if it is customary to purchase this stuff yourself?

I am hoping to breastfeed and will be pumping when I return to work at 12 weeks. What breastfeeding necessities should I have on hand with LO arrives? I've heard a boppy, breast pads, lanolin oil/nipple cream, and nipple shields are a must. Is there anything else?  What brands do you prefer and why? Do they provide any of these things at the hospital that you can swipe before leaving?

As for pumps, I am getting a Madela Freestyle Breastpump through my insurance (with the uncharge paid out of pocket.) Is it necessary to buy spare parts ahead of time? What parts will I need? Do you recommend purchasing a hand pump in addition to the electric one? Also, what method did you use to store/freeze the breastmilk?

Thanks!!
    Some people do find breastfeeding exciting. LOL. The only breastfeeding item I had on my registry was a nursing cover, since I was kind of clueless about it all, but one of DH's aunts (who has young grandchildren, so she knew a lot from her daughter's experience) gifted me a large basket full of breastfeeding supplies. Nipple cream, freezer bags, breast pads, sheilds, tons of stuff I didn't know I needed. So I say go ahead and register for the breastfeeding stuff. It will at least let people know you plan you BF in case they were wondering.

I agree with boppy, breast pads, and nipple cream. A shield should be avoided unless it's totally necessary. TBH I never really needed breast pads, but it's good to have a few on hand because if you need them, you need them NOW. Other than that, have lots of random burp cloths (I used flat cloth diapers) close at hand for cleaning up whatever. And also get your nursing bras and tops ahead of time. 

Get your pump ahead of time, but nothing else is really necessary to have on hand immediately. I was told to start pumping and offering a bottle when baby is 3 weeks old. That gives enough time to establish your supply, but is early enough that the baby will hopefully be receptive to a bottle. I didn't even open my breast pump until that 3 week point. It should come with the supplies you need, and if you find you need extras, you can get it in 2 days from Amazon. I did get a bag for my PISA before I went back to work, and after I got into my work routine found that I wanted extra parts, and eventually needed a larger size of flanges and larger bottles. But you deal with those issues as they arise. It's impossible to predict.

I did get the Medela hand pump, and I got a lot of use out of it. But again, that's not something you need to have right away. You can pick one up at Target if you decide you want it later. 

I froze milk in bags. I liked the Medela bags. In the beginning I froze in 2 oz increments. After that, I increased to 4-5 oz increments to save bags. I was consistently rotating my stash, so whenever my LO was drinking more than 2 oz at a time, I felt it was a waste to freeze in small increments. 

I do think a breastfeeding thread would be helpful.
  • @CapricaAndreaIt sounds like you're looking for the more permanent (when baby gets here) solutions. But I thought I'd pass on our conditioning learnings. The foil didn't work for us. Instead, we did the cardboard covered in sticky tape trick since we assembled the crib and changing table super early and caught the cat napping in the crib. He jumped in there twice after we rigged "the kitty trap" and scrambled immediately out both times. Now he has zero interest in jumping in that sticky place. I imagine we'll do the same once we decide on a bassinet for our bedroom. 
  • Re: breastfeeding. I'm a FTM so understand that I am going based on research and recommendations, not personal experience. A woman at my La Leche group recommended an amazing system of bottles and breast milk bags for pumping. The company is Kiinde, just google them and you will get all the info you need about the bottles and bags, etc. etc. I just added a mega ton of their stuff to my registry. 
    I also decided against getting a nursing pillow because they can cause problems. If I end up thinking it will actually help, I'll grab one, but for now I'm sticking to regular pillows if I need them. I also plan on letting the baby lay on me and not in my arms for breast feeding as this seems to be the best position for feeding, so I really don't see how the pillow is even going to help. 
    I also just added bamboobies nursing pads to the registry. They seem to be the best ones out there. 

Question: I fully intend to live in nursing tanks while I am breastfeeding because I don't wear bras and have no interest in trying. I've heard the nursing tanks should be enough to hold in the nursing pads for leakage. My question is this: What size should I get for the tanks? I would normally be an xsmall at most stores in women's sizes, but I know it will take awhile both for my stomach to deflate (i.e. uterus to go back to normal) and that I will probably carry at least some extra weight for a little while. Plus, my breasts are already huge, and will probably only get bigger. I would love to have some tanks on hand for the beginning, but I just don't know what size to buy. Do the tanks accommodate larger breasts and extra stomach?  
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @kerils I don't know what I would have done without my Boppy...normal pillows just weren't effective enough.  The nursing pillow brings the baby up higher on your lap when sitting, and supports baby when using a football hold.  It's also great for resting your arms when you are holding baby for a while.  Just my 2 cents.  As far as the pump goes, check with insurance - yours might be covered.  I went with Ameda because that't what I started with in the hospital (I rented for the first 2 months), and was very pleased.  The nursing tanks that I bought were also maternity tanks, so no problem for belly or boobs.  I bought the size I was wearing during pregnancy.
  • @chiquita928 If they're maternity and nursing that might work. I'll have to check it out when I go pants shopping soon. Thanks for the rec! 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • I bought a Jessica Simpson tank on sale at BBB that I didn't realize was also a nursing tank until after I got it home and washed it. But now I LOVE it. I went back this weekend and bought 4 more since I know they can handle boobs and belly. If you stumble across that brand, I would suggest you buy your normal pre-pregnancy size. 
  • @oheliza44 I would recommend boppy (I had 1 for the first but then got two more on CL for the second. It was super nice to have one in the car so I wouldn't forget it when traveling, one upstairs, one downstairs), extra boppy cover, Medela milk storage bags, bottles, microwave sterilizers, bamboobies nursing pads (I found them waaay softer than disposables), mothers love nipple cream (also liked medela nipple cream), and a hands free pumping bra. I didn't buy spare parts for the pump until I needed them but I did have a separate cooler for extra milk transport. One that I kept in the freezer with built in ice packets. I also had a car charger for my pump as I did sometimes pump while driving! 
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Creedon778 For the charger for the car, was it just a normal A/C adaptor, or was it something special

Also question: best temporal thermometers? Anyone use these and find a really good one? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @kerils it was just a normal A/C adaptor that connected to the pump. 

Regading temporal thermometers I have found mine mine to be useless. Rectal thermometers are really necessary to get a true temp. If you call a nurse / dr they will insist on a rectal temp as is the most accurate. I never felt like the temporal thermometers gave me a reliable reading and it wasn't a cheap one!
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @kerils regarding the nursing tank sizes. Im an extra small too but I always went up to a small for breast size while breastfeeding. Especially in the beginning while your supply is adjusting you'll want that extra space.

We bought a ton of the Kiinde bottles with my daughter but she wouldn't take them. My husband loved the idea and bought the entire system with the bottle warmer. We still used the warmer but it took FOREVER to heat them since it doesn't use steem. 

This is just my 2cents but I wouldn't recommend buying too many bottles of one brand because you have no idea which ones your little one will like. We spent a fortune buying bottles for my daughter and the only one she would tolerate was a dr browns... Which turned out great because she had horrible gas and reflux. 
  • @oheliza44 I see BFing stuff on registries all the time, and I looove to buy that stuff for the mom. I usually clear out that section of the registry as much as I can :)

Agree on the usefulness of the boppy. Mine was used to feed, to give people support when they held my babies (I had lots of people in my family who hadn't held a newborn in decades and I was so nervous, so much more comfortable with them having the extra support), and for tummy time/ beginning to sit when they are a little older. I brought mine to the hospitals and had visitors use it to hold the baby. Also because of the IV I wouldn't have been able to position the babies effectively without it for the first few days. I think it was one of my top used baby items.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im with @virginiaunicorn11 in the babies dont need a whole lot boat. However I have a boppy that I used a few times but I found it so uncomfortable... I still loved it when they got older and could prop them up. I'm going to try it again this go around and hope it will be more comfortable because after a while my back would hurt especially as the babies got older. 

Also I know a few ladies have mentioned it but definitely check with your insurance about a breast pump. The lactation group at the hospital I delivered at were able to send me home with an awesome medela pump before I even left the hospital. They submitted it thru insurance for me and I didn't have to do anything. It was really nice and one less thing to worry about.
  • MrsZeno said:
    @kerils regarding the nursing tank sizes. Im an extra small too but I always went up to a small for breast size while breastfeeding. Especially in the beginning while your supply is adjusting you'll want that extra space.

We bought a ton of the Kiinde bottles with my daughter but she wouldn't take them. My husband loved the idea and bought the entire system with the bottle warmer. We still used the warmer but it took FOREVER to heat them since it doesn't use steem. 

This is just my 2cents but I wouldn't recommend buying too many bottles of one brand because you have no idea which ones your little one will like. We spent a fortune buying bottles for my daughter and the only one she would tolerate was a dr browns... Which turned out great because she had horrible gas and reflux. 
    Ditto! We didn't buy/register for any bottles. We just tried all the sample bottles we got for free from registering until we found one she liked and then went and bought just those.
  • @kerils I have a temporal now that the girls are older, but when they are little (under a year) the doctors will definitely want a rectal temp. Especially the first few months. It's easy to take, you just throw a little aquafor on the tip and distract them- and it's much more accurate.

for the future, we really like this temporal: Exergen Temporal Scan Forehead Artery Baby Thermometer Tat-2000c Scanner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T6G550/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_J5RVybVT7S3MA
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Does anyone have the Arms Reach Cosleeper? Ive been looking at that and the Halo Swivel Bassinet.
    I want something for our room because this time I will be sleeping in my bed more lol. 
  • tuxielove93tuxielove93 member
    edited March 2017
    @virginiaunicorn11 It wasn't LLL, it was reading online. I have really large breasts (especially for someone of my body size) and I was reading about the pillow pushing the baby up too far especially as they get older and especially with larger breasts. Funny enough, the way I'm sitting now demonstrates this problem. I'm leaned over slightly sitting Indian style and there is barely room between my nipples and my leg for a baby, let alone a giant pillow. If the baby isn't positioned right it can cause problems with latch, them getting milk, them being comfortable enough, and you possibly being uncomfortable leaning over them like that. I keep reading about bringing baby to breast, not breast to baby, and if baby is laying on a pillow you sort of have to move the breast to the baby. And how would they lay on it anyways? Sideways? They're supposed to have their tummy to mine, so they'd have to lay their side on it, and at least for my body they would definitely be too high. Or if I'm leaning back, they would be too low and I would have to hold the pillow up myself, which defeats the whole purpose. The point is to save your arms right? I'm also not really comfortable sitting straight up for long periods of time. I'm pretty much always leaning back. Plus, I wouldn't cart it with me when we go out, and that's probably the time I'm most going to be actually sitting upright with the baby. Logistically, the only thing I can see doing with it is either wrapping it around the baby, but not under them, or putting it under my arms to keep them up. But the first thing is useless, and the second doesn't need to be a special pillow. Maybe they're wrong, but I see the point. 
    And I know they have all kinds of other uses, but I just can't justify a giant pillow for $50 some dollars for tummy time and other people's comfort. Or just for saving my arms. I'll use towels, other pillows, readjusting, (my husband lol). Again, there is some stuff that I may get later or would have been getting, but I'm keeping moving at 6 months in mind... I don't want to move that giant pillow for the convenience of tummy time. 

ETA: Just figured I would mention that reading about the problems it can cause was more of a "nail in the coffin" than a deciding factor for me not getting the boppy. I was already not really sure about it, couldn't see how it would work for me, wasn't sure I would really use it or wanted to spend the money for it, and was basically thinking I wasn't going to get it anyways. I wanted to complete my registry yesterday, so I finally did some research on it, and then read about the problems it can cause, and that was the final thing for me that concreted my decision to not get it. But it really didn't take all that much to push me over the edge. I know tons of moms swear by it, I just can't see it helping me. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @kerils it depends on the nursing tank. The ones I had didn't hold my boobs, when I sized up my boobs fell out of the bottom, if I sized down it was way too tight. I need the support of a bra tho so I wore nursing bras more often than tanks.
  • @kerils my opinion doesn't matter at all, but that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining it to me! I love learning new perspectives on these boards, and your situation is one I wouldn't have thought of. 
  • AdaByronAdaByron member
    edited March 2017
    @kerils I have a temporal now that the girls are older, but when they are little (under a year) the doctors will definitely want a rectal temp. Especially the first few months. It's easy to take, you just throw a little aquafor on the tip and distract them- and it's much more accurate.

for the future, we really like this temporal: Exergen Temporal Scan Forehead Artery Baby Thermometer Tat-2000c Scanner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T6G550/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_J5RVybVT7S3MA
    Yeah, rectal temp is definitely most accurate with babies. But it kinda sucks having to take it that way. I had a temporal thermometer from the beginning. It was fairly accurate, and we only took his temp rectally when the temporal read so high that we were concerned and wanted to have the most accurate info when we called the doctor. If you're the type who will want to take their temp every hour when they're sick, get both. 

We have the same one linked above. 
  • munchkinsmamamunchkinsmama member
    edited March 2017
    @AdaByron agree, we have both and I use the temporal thermometer as a guage, if it seems elevated I then take a rectal. I will say I checked my twins more then a few times that first summer if we were out in the heat, I don't know why but I was super paranoid about them overheating (they never did)

EtA I scored a $15 off coupon for the same thermometer in the link from one of my registry or online sign ups and they go on sale at target periodically.
  • Has anyone heard of/bought from Naked Panda Designs? They make custom carriers and you can send in any fabric. DH really wants a camo carrier (literally the only thing he has requested, so I'd like to make it happen for him) and I can't find one ANYWHERE. Tula is the only brand I have seen that stocks one but it's the pixelated camo (we wanted more of an old school camo).
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Rae1 my cousin had one made and it's gorgeous!!! 
  • MrsLa3 said:
    @Rae1 my cousin had one made and it's gorgeous!!! 
    do you know which kind (she has a few styles)? And does she like it for functionality as well, not just looks? DH both have sensitive backs, so we need something that is going to offer lots of support. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @kerils re: nursing tank sizes I found it totally depended on the brand. I bought my normal pre pregnancy size in the target tanks and they were perfect (and my favorites) even when engorged, bought the same size in glamourmom tanks and they nearly suffocated me... my husband had to help me out of one lol. If you can swing one or two in a size larger and the rest in your regular size (then just keep receipts in case...) I think you'll be good. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsZeno said:
    Does anyone have the Arms Reach Cosleeper? Ive been looking at that and the Halo Swivel Bassinet.
    I want something for our room because this time I will be sleeping in my bed more lol. 
    I just got a second hand one for my third baby... I used a pnp for the first two and want this one closer. I chose it over the Halo because I imagine being able to reach over and pat or soothe the baby easier in this one. My second was happier if I rested my hand on her, so maybe this way I will get a teensy bit of sleep this go round. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Rae1 the standard aero full buckle, she said it's got plenty of support. She's never worn it more than an hour at a time so she's not sure about long term wear.
  • Is anyone else going right to a convertible car seat, not an infant seat? My reasoning is that I hate lugging the infant seat around and I have two big kids and a husband who will gladly hold baby. I will also wear baby in a sling most of the time. I know lots of people say baby will sleep in infant seat and you can just take baby inside, but it's not worth it to me. I'll just take her out and wear her or hold her, or someone else will. I'm completely starting over with baby gear and I'm trying to be a minimalist about it. Thoughts?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Kmomof3 your reasoning totally makes sense, the only thing I would be wary of is that I've read that some convertibles compromise on the safety during the infant stage simply because of they way that they're built in order to be convertible. Having said that, there are of course still safety standards they have to pass, and I'm sure some models are better than others, just something to keep in mind. 
  • Kmomof3 said:
    Is anyone else going right to a convertible car seat, not an infant seat? My reasoning is that I hate lugging the infant seat around and I have two big kids and a husband who will gladly hold baby. I will also wear baby in a sling most of the time. I know lots of people say baby will sleep in infant seat and you can just take baby inside, but it's not worth it to me. I'll just take her out and wear her or hold her, or someone else will. I'm completely starting over with baby gear and I'm trying to be a minimalist about it. Thoughts?
    To me, one of the biggest benefits of the infant seat is getting the baby in/out quickly in bad weather. But if you are SAH and will be able to stay home if the weather is bad, maybe that's not a big deal. We rarely used the seat outside of the car, so I totally understand wanting to skip it, but it's nice to be able to buckle the baby in before you leave the house instead of leaning in the car door to do it.
  • I'm a minimalist but personally wouldn't cut this corner. If you do, it seems only a small number of seats are a real option for a newborn. I found this link interesting: https://csftl.org/choosing-a-convertible-car-seat-for-a-newborn/
  • @Kmomof3  I cut this corner for basically the same reason. Im not lugging that huge thing around, my convertible is rated for newborns, and I want to baby wear anyways. 

Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Can any STM's speak to optimal configuration of car seats with two? Will have an infant base and a rear facing convertible. I can't see my bird arms being able to lug an infant bucket over a convertible seat to put it in the middle seat position, and DD can't buckle herself in yet. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @dancegurl1118 I had my big girl behind me and little one behind the passenger so that I could reach over to pop the paci in. i tried the middle but couldn't find a good way to get the baby seat in without getting a hernia. I am not tall, so it worked for us. But the radian we have had a steep angle rear facing so any taller and I would have had to switch them.

that said I will be trying the middle seat again because the girls want this baby in the middle of them. Logistically this is a bad idea haha.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How large of a baby clothing receptacle (dresser?) will we need? I'm trying to visualize the nursery, and the only furniture we have in it now are our two dressers and the dog's crate.
  • How large of a baby clothing receptacle (dresser?) will we need? I'm trying to visualize the nursery, and the only furniture we have in it now are our two dressers and the dog's crate.
    When DS was born (June baby, so summer clothes), we used two or three 3x1 shelves for his clothes (one-handed access was key).

Now (21 months and winter time) we use 4-5 shelves for his current clothing (plus his own coat rack in the hall), and a full dresser holds clothes that he hasn't grown into yet. (I like consignment shopping several sizes ahead.) 

• @PurplePumpernickel we have a changing table with three large drawers, a small drawer, and a little cabinet. We also have a tiny closet to hang things that need it (but it's mostly full of random stuff because we don't have much storage in our house). The three large drawers are enough for us while the clothes are little.
    BabyFruit Ticker