July 2016 Moms

GTKY 3/3

We haven't done one of these in awhile. Currently planning Baby J's birthday beach trip, so what was your favorite family vacation growing up? What would your dream family vacation be? 

Re: GTKY 3/3

• I'll go first. My favorite trip growing up was our trip to France in high school. It was a blast. I was able to put my french classes to good use. 

My dream vacation currently would be to do a week long disney cruise. I think when the kid(s) get older, it may be something to do. It just looks like so much fun. (Not having to worry about much else once we're on board sounds fantastic.)
  • I loved a lot of our family trips growing up, but I would say the coolest one was to Germany when I was 14. We went to visit our former exchange students and they took us around the country and it was amazing. I'd like to go again now that I've actually learned some German. We also went to Michigan to see my grandparents every summer and so I guess that's my favorite normal vacation spot. :)

There are a lot of places I would love to go but I want to be a camping family and make it to every state with my kids. My cousins' family did that (the kids were all the same ages as me and my brother) and they made it to all 50 by the time the youngest graduated high school. Took a camper and just visited cool spots in each state. I didn't grow up camping but I just always thought that was such a cool idea and would love to do it with my kids when they get older. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Loading the player...
  • My dad was a teacher and my mom was a SAHM, so we all had summers off. We went on lots of long road trips. My favorite was when we drove from Washington to Ohio (where my dad was from). We went to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore, camping along the way. We spent 2 weeks in Ohio with family and then 2 weeks at my Grandpa's cottage in Michigan. The cottage is on a lake. All my cousins, aunts and uncles were there. 

DH has 3 weeks of paternity leave he needs to use before June 30th. If we buy a house before then, we are going to use the time to fix up the house and move. If we haven't bought a house, we are going on a 3 week road trip in Oregon in our RV! 
  • We took family vacations every summer when my sister and I were growing up, always to different beaches. We went to Aruba back before it was a well known tourist destination, and that was probably my favorite. That was where I learned to snorkel and there are so many great spots there & the most colorful fish I've seen anywhere. I'd like to go back someday.

I'm with you @babycakesday & my dream family vacation for when C is older is a Disney cruise! I went on a cruise for my honeymoon and have been itching to go on another since the minute I stepped off the ship lol. Disney just seems like the logical choice for a cruise with a child. I hope C likes the beach & the ocean as much as I do.

I'd also like to make it to Australia someday. It's on my bucket list.
  • My family is heavily involved in truck & tractor pulling so a lot of our "vacations" were the weekend trips to various pulls. My dad would never take off work unless it was to go pulling. We would do some touristy stuff while on weekend trips for pulls, otherwise it was my Mom who would take vacation time in the summer to take my brother & I somewhere. I went a lot of places with Girl Scouts though. Was lucky enough to be in a troop with leaders that were always up for taking 6 teenagers (or more) on a trip for a week.
    My favorite vacation memory was the trip my Girl Scout troop took to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. Not sure why that one stands out so much (we went to Niagra Falls & Mackinac Island too) but I remember being in awe with the beauty the whole time.

I'm not sure that I have a "dream vacation" - just a lot of places I want to see and want to experience as a family. Would LOVE to go to the Grand Canyon - just because I've never been out west!
  • There are so many places I want to go!  When I was little we would go to Disney every other year and somewhere new on the off years.  in 2015 hubs and I went to Yellowstone and the Tetons and it was absolutely amazing.  Now I'm on a National Park kick (hubs has always been).  I want to go to Yosemite, Glacier, and go see the redwoods.  Hiking should be interesting with a lil one, lol.  Hubs grew up going to the black hills in South Dakota every year.   A family friend has a cabin out there so I'm sure we will spend time there. 
  • Favorite "trip" would be when we moved from Seattle to the Twin Cities when I was 11. It was a sucky move, but we stopped at a bunch of national parks on the way to the Midwest and that part was a lot of fun. Dream vacation would be New Zealand with DH. We hope to take one big trip a year with our kid(s). This year may be TX to visit my sister, but not quite sure yet. We have a list of a whole bunch of places in the US we want to go as a family.
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    Growing up just a few hours from Disney World, we went there a ton and I loved it. But my FAVORITE trip has to be to the sand dunes in Michigan. My mom is from MI and she took me to see the dunes and to Frankenmouth one year. It was a really fun trip. 

Dream vacay for the family would be one of the Disney Advrntures in another country. Hubs has been to several other countries and I've been to a few. I really want to instill that knowledge and wonder to DS. I'd also personally like to spend 2 weeks at the Smithsonian museums.