April 2017 Moms

Pain management during labor

2»

Re: Pain management during labor

• Wow! You ladies make it sound like I had it easy. "Pooping a bowling ball" is quite accurate and I had the epidural. 

@lovelongdog06 Did you deliver breech? How does the story end? I had never heard of peanut ball until this thread popped up and I'm definitely interested. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @BabyBlake042017 Even if you can't labor in the hospital tub, if you can labor a little in a tub at home it's still worth it :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited March 2017
    @jennielynn+ @lovelongdog06 at our labor and delivery class this past weekend the L&D nurse mentioned they use the peanut ball for all epidural patients at our hospital to help with progressing and opening the pelvis once you are stuck in bed, just like you mentioned @lovelongdog06.  I thought it was interesting as I had never heard of the peanut ball for labor before. We used them all the time for core stabilization in my classroom for kids with autism but that was the only place I ever saw them before. 
  • I didn't want narcotics but the nurse just pumped them in without asking. The only thing I didn't like about the whole experience. And "best" part is: The narcotics did NOTHING for the pain. There was literally no difference at all. I had the epidural after that and was able to take a nap and finally progress. And it's true you feel nothing. I did have to let it ease up a bit because I was too numb at first. After that it was completely painless. 

• peachy0709peachy0709 member
    edited March 2017
    MWoodside said:
    Bodies typically don't make babies larger than they can birth. 
    Hmmmmmm... *raises hand* Mine does. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • kcasset said:
    MWoodside said:
    That's why I said 'typically' and the next sentence of my post said 'of course there are some exceptions.'

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • peachy0709peachy0709 member
    edited March 2017
    MWoodside said:
    kcasset said:
    MWoodside said:
    That's why I said 'typically' and the next sentence of my post said 'of course there are some exceptions.'
    Whoa. Sorry. Understood. My labor class didn't even discuss a 4th degree tear (they literally said "this won't happen to any of you") and therefore I had no idea what was happening to me or what it meant. Most women don't tear or tear very minimally. But it does happen and I wish I had been apart of more dialogues prior to my first born about all possibilities. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • @kcasset I'm with you. At our birth class, they did not mention tearing in any detail. They said you may be stitched with a local anth. but, not much else. I think it is a way to not freak people out when they are already feeling overloaded with information in those sessions. I'm so glad I made a pp spray beforehand. Also Tucks. I had no idea what to expect. 

For the FTMs:
    https://www.target.com/p/tucks-medicated-cooling-pads-100-count/-/A-14013778
    These made me feel so human pp on my tinder bits. I have heard they are great for hemorrhoids and c-section ouchies too!

PP padcicles and spray you can make at the same time. 
    https://www.modernalternativemama.com/2014/04/18/making-postpartum-padsicles-plus-bonus-perineum-healing-spray/

• I bought the tucks and bought the earth mama bottom spray. Hoping to make the padcicles too! Glad to hear you liked those things postpartum. My doctor told me all the things they will do to try to help prevent tearing today, so that made me feel a little better. 
  • Gosh I feel like most women I know tore, especially with the first birth. I had a TON of second degree tearing with my first.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

• Yeah, I think most people I know have torn at least a little. I mean, there isn't really a huge need to talk about it at length in my opinion. What are they supposed to say about it in detail? You might tear and then they stitch you up. I'm honestly curious about what else they could say about it. As a doula I don't really focus much time on it with my clients. Should I be talking about it more? 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's funny you bring up the "what ifs" because I feel like I'm at the point now where I'm ready for them. A few weeks ago I did not want to think at all about labor and postpartum messiness, but today I was googling "how long will I bleed postpartum?," for example. I'm also going to be making padsicles tomorrow, so there's really no hiding from that stuff now...
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• I feel like most in depth birthing classes that are several sessions discuss tearing. We're the classes you guys took that didn't a few hours or an ongoing class that met several times? If it was just a few hours, there is just way too much to discuss to focus a bunch of time on tearing.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

• @mwoodside mine was just a one Saturday 9-3:00 type class
  • @jennielynn+  I bought witch hazel pads from Target, would those be the same thing essentially? (FTM :) )
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • A number of people mentioned not being able to sit still during an epidural. I was 8cm dilated with DS when I got my epidural (arrived 8cm dilated). The nurse is really helpful with the whole process. When I felt a contraction coming on they would pause and then between they inserted it. It worked well for me. I've had friends who have only had it partially take, though. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD: 6/20/11
    DS: 2/23/13
    EDD: 4/15/17 

• ebloom3 said:
    A number of people mentioned not being able to sit still during an epidural. I was 8cm dilated with DS when I got my epidural (arrived 8cm dilated). The nurse is really helpful with the whole process. When I felt a contraction coming on they would pause and then between they inserted it. It worked well for me. I've had friends who have only had it partially take, though. 
    This was EXACTLY my story.
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Yup, go for the Up&Up if you can.