March 2017 Moms

STM Check-In (Third and fourth timers too!)

Hey Hey Hey STMama(s) 

I decided I'd love a place for us to check in with how our littles are interacting/ask-share advice about being moms to more than one! Ect. and spare all the FTMs on the board of the things they don't need to think about. 

I know we had a couple random check-in threads before-and one encouraging longer post a while back that I loved!

so---share away!

If you want some format to start: remind us:

When are you due/How old is baby? 

How old are your other kids? Share names if you'd like!
:) 

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans

Re: STM Check-In (Third and fourth timers too!)

• This is such a good idea! <3 I always wondered how many of the ladies on here were STMs! 

When are you due/How old is baby? due March 25th! 

I have DD Marrin, age 3, and DS Jesse, 18mo.

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: just the general anxiety of going from two to three. I grew up with four brothers so I'm not a stranger to how messy, expensive, and chaotic it can be but am of course nervous about experiencing it all for myself as a parent. I love kids and babies especially so I'm super excited as well- its a weird conflict in my heart haha. Just praying for strength and patience to take it all one day at a time and to never lose my sense of humour! 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : so far my toddlers have been excellent- no tantrums or disciplinary issues, they eat well and sleep well and are as helpful, respectful and polite as a toddler can be expected to be, so I have a false sense of "hell yeah, I got this" that I know will be crushed one day lol. I love them so very much and they are truly my best friends. I can't imagine life without my littles! I'm looking forward to seeing a third little face when I wake up in the morning too :) 

Just curious about how the transition from 2-3 was for the moms who are 3rd timers and up! 

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans: stay at home mom and loving it. Though I fully intend to get a job once the kids are in school but I've got a few years there haha.
  • Loading the player...
  • Love this idea!

Due March 17th!

James will be 2 on March 28th.

Current challenges/concerns about being a STMMy son is such a snuggle bug, so I'm currently stressing out about having to be a needed mommy by two.

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : I cannot wait to see James become a big brother and whether he is going to be a big brother to a sister or if I'm going to have "brothers"

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions: Biggest concern for me is how the heck am I going to cook dinner?! My husband takes the train into Boston and his days are typically 12 hours door-to-door.. which means we eat late and eating as a family is important to us, so it only makes sense that I cook. 

Also.. stressing out about childcare. Right now we have my mom, MIL and family friend who watch James. I've approached the conversation with my mom and family friend but am waiting for my husband to talk to his mom. I realize that going from 1 to 2 is a big deal in asking people to watch your children but also don't want to do the daycare route. So... huge concern as to what is going to happen next year (school year).

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plansI'm a teacher.. hoping to extend my maternity leave into the summer and get to spend 5 months with this one. My district is being ridiculous.. so I may need to return for 10-15 days.. but if it means I get health insurance back then it may be worth it. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @kjd291seriosuly I wanted to ask... how are you still starting threads at this point... then I remembered that there's not a whole lot else to do with a lo attached to the boob!!  :)<3 

kiyamurph I'm with you other than not sleeping DS is sooo easy going. He was an aweosme newborn etc. I'm slightly terrified I'll get a polar opposite lo. On the positive side maybe she'll sleep!!?! :-)

due tmw!

Harrison Kent turns 18 mo the 15th of this month

He still doesn't STTN. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : 
    I'm so stinkin excited for him to be a big brother!  <3 

The sleep thing. Boy am I terrified. DS now gets out of bed and comes to our bed but I know that's not going to work. I really have NO plan. I have a bassinet and a cosleeper for her to be in depending on what she prefers. But she can't be in the cosleeper with him in the bed too... bleh. I know I'll figure something out. Just wish I had a general.plan.

SAHM since DS was born and will be for the rest of 2017. Ill go back probably Jan/March 2018. So I call myself a temp SAHM. :smiley:
  • If you want some format to start: remind us:

When are you due/How old is baby? Due 3/27

Son- 15 years old daughter 9 years old

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: kind of nervous about my daughter she has gotten very clingy since I got pregnant and it has only gotten worse the closer I get to the baby being born. Since our kids are so far apart in age they grew up alone for those younger years. When my DS was born my son has just started school and he mostly played alone when he came home. She on the other hand could play by herself but with her being the first granddaughter on both sides she got a ton of attention. I think she feels like we are going to forget about her so now she is in your face with antics. Today she made a tiara and just had to show hubby and I.  My husband says she is starting to display the typical middle child don't forget about me syndrome. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : 
    I'm just ready to see how this will play out. 3 vs 2 ESP since we were much younger with the others. 

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans: I plan on not going back into the classroom. At a minimum I'll be out for the rest of the school year. My husband and I work part time for a financial services company so I'm looking to increase that and I'm studying for my securities license as well as a bookkeeper certification. Prayerfully I can do both of those from home and be done with public education.

• Guys I've really dropped the ball on participating on the threads over the last couple months, so I thought since this one is new, it would be a good way to jump back in. Hope that's ok. 
    Thanks @kjd291 for starting this!  Hope all is going well with your new little lady! 

@silverbulletband

@silverbulletbandtotally feel you on the false sense of "I got this" and anticipating the crash and burn moment to come..... 

@kiyamurph@vino831
    also worried about the dreaded "second child curse"! Everyone keeps saying number 2 is going to give us a run for our money.... maybe we will all be blessed with babes similar in temperament to #1. :)

When are you due/How old is baby? March 29th

:) 
    Sophia will be 2 in April 

worried about being able to give Sophia enough attention. 
    Worries about this one being the "devil child" everyone keeps saying it will be since Sophia is so well behaved. 
    Worried about being a patient and loving mama on lack of sleep. (I'm not very good on lack of sleep.) :( 
    also, nursing was very unsuccessful with Sophia so I'm worried about all the time and effort required in making a go of it this time while also being a good mom to my toddler. 
    Basically just praying like crazy for God to grant the strength and patience I need for each day.

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM
    super excited to see Sophia playing lovingly with her doll and hope that she will in turn dote on baby when he or she arrives. 
    Anticipating the newborn snuggles!

rave: so thankful for a toddler who plays SO well by herself while I do house work etc. 

SAHM since Sophia's birth and super thankful for hubby's job that allows financially for me to do that. 

• @vino831  haha I know... shameless bump addict!!   DD1 was napping! ((Yay for naptime!)) and yes! I am stuck on the couch nursing constantly as baby waits for my supply to fully come in to feed this giant child! Hah. 
    Also trying to take it easy and make my husband do everything this weekend. Just getting packed and home from the hospital had me feeling like I way over did it:  if I get up for too long I get weak and dizzy. Not sure if it's from my excess blood loss or just labor in general.
    SO couch and phone time it is!
    -
    -

When are you due/How old is bab
    y? Natalie is 2 days old! 

Nora is 18mo

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: I've only been home half a day--but it's already easier to just be IN the transition and challenges instead of spending so much time worrying about the impending arrival of number two and how it will work out.
    Worried because oldest is only 18mo-is a very clingy/dependent on mom kid! DH is home for a full week so for now just hoping that week makes a huge dent in the transition. 
    I'm still nervous about constant nursing and how to entertain a clingy toddler! Only current fool-proof idea is offering a bath-durint a feed time because DD1 loves taking baths/so I plan to sit on the toilet while nursing for the 20-30min.

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : While I was in labor one happy thought that got me through was of being able to have that moment where Nora came to meet her sister!! 
    When Natalie was born super fast and I saw it was only 5pm when I was done pushing: I immediately reached for my phone and told my mom to bring her to meet her sister!

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/  I'm so bummed about having a winter baby. I think it would be so much easier to have this baby a month or two from now to spend time outside with these kiddos! Walks, playtime, or just spreading out a blanket on the lawn would help immensely. 
    -

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans: SAHM since having DD1 a year and a half ago.  Planning on staying home until I'm done having babies ((THINK i still want one or two more) but I miss work and social life SO much. The SAHM struggle is real!! 
  • When are you due/How old is baby? Atti is 8 days old!

Thad turned 3 yesterday. :)

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: Making sure Thad doesn't feel ignored. It's been a hard week while Atticus was in the hospital, but I'm hoping we find a groove now.

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : Thad gets really anxious sometimes, especially about loud sounds. He doesn't act out or anything, you can just sense his anxiety. He was definitely that way in the hospital, but he seems to be warming up and cares about Atticus... it's awesome to see.

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/ Thankful Thad is a pretty easy kid. I'd also forgotten how much newborns sleep. Like. Anywhere.

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans Returning to work, probably at the end of April/beginning of May. Hoping to work from home for a couple weeks before returning to the office. I have the utmost respect for SAHMs. I wish I had longer at home, but I would go crazy if I were home all the time.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited March 2017
    ---DD1 is asleep so time for MORE nursing abd bumping ;)

@silverbulletband good reminder to "keep your sense of humor!" I often forget that should be on the list of priorities! Too often between focusing on organization, housework, discipline (etc) you forget laughter and just enjoying life is key!  

@kiyamurph  agree!! Terrified of the "second kid curse"! Guess only time will tell which personalities come with these new littles! 

@shines721  that's annoying that you'd have to return for a few days--but yes! Totally worth it for the perks! Hope it ends up being as few days as possible!
    RE-dinner. I assume your guy still takes naps? I'm planning (we'll see how it goes) on doing all my dinner prep/cooking during older kids afternoon naptime - either crockpot stuff that will be all ready for dinner or cooking and readu to reheat. That way I know I'll only have one kid awake--AND lots of baby-wearing.

@vino831 happy ((in a few hrs) due date!! Whoop whoop! 
    I also am in the same sleep boat--have no plan.  Just trying to take it one night at a time.  DD1 usually wakes up and climbs into bed with us... and we're co-sleeping with DD2 while I nurse. 
    We got a big kid bed for DD1 (twin bed on the floor in her room) and one option/thing to attempt is for DH to go in and lay with her in there. 
    DH somewhat jokingly said we should just get a king size bed instead of even trying to win the sleep battle... because let's be honest--most nights it'll be 4in a bed. Hah.
    My only "plan" is to make sure that if this happens I always put myself between the two kids so I can use the co-sleeper.  We re-arranged our room to push our bed up against a wall so we can get as much space as possible by setting baby up against the wall.

@hisqueen78  no experience with older kids--other than BEING a sister of a sister who was 8years younger. If she's like me--sure your daughter will love the attention she gets from you just by letting her be a little mommy/helper in raising her sister!

@julievdm12 no worries lady! Never too Late to jump in more :)  hope all your fears of nursing troubles again are pointless and it's an easier thing this time!

@datalover13 I said it elsewhere! But welcome home!!! I hope you can get settled after a long week in the hospital and get into a great groove with your boys! AND yes! What a godsend that newborns sleep so well anywhere and so much! Going to take advantafw of that as much as possible these first weeks
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited March 2017
    @shines721 I'm right there in the same boat as you. Since I'm parttime, and all part time teachers are on one year contracts in my county, aparently instead of taking a leave of absence they want me tI just resign my position. I keep trying to explain I plan to reapply for my job again next year (as I have for the last couple) and my principal plans to keep me...I'm not sure what resigning would mean for that. Also my mom watches my son, and she just won't be able to watch two, so I'm stressing out trying to figure out a way to be a sahm.

@vino831 My son is also a shocking sleeper. For now we are in survival mode, with me catching as many zzzs as I can, but eventually my son and Alice and I will all be rooming together just for my sanity.

@kjd291 Youknow, I'm struggling more physically this time too even though my labor and pushing was way fast. My cramping is worse (never needed Motrin last time) and I'm just sore and lightheaded. My poor toddler just wants me to pick him up and I definitely can't do it comfortably. STM thing, maybe?

@datalover13 Can Atti come and clue Alice in about the whole sleeping thing???

When/How old is baby? 51 hours

C just turned 2 in February

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: Nervous about my relationship with my son. He is struggling and acting out in sweet ways. He had a meltdown today because. Daddy helped him out of his seat instead of mommy. Ten after his nap he had another meltdown when He woke up from his nap and I couldn't pick him up. (he's in a floor bed; he doesn't need help out of it) During this meltdown I Sat on the couch with him as he yelled about having fruit snacks and asked, "Are you sad about mommy being in the hospital?" Immediate floodgate of tears. I told him that I was going to be home every day and I was NOT going back to the hospital. He cried some more on my shoulder, then happily are his fruit snacks. I got three unsolicited kisses after that conversation. <3

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : see above

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/ iI totally forgot how to take care of a newborn. Like, I forgot burping is a thing. 

See above replies.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina my midwife said uterine cramping/recovery gets worse with each kid! :/ I was the same--didn't have it this bad first time even though labor was longer and tougher for me... but then again I wasn't tempted to be cleaning up and taking care of a toddler.  

Bring on the pain meds! ;) 
  • @longliveregina Sorry Alice thinks sleeping's for the weak. I'm sure Atti's going to make us pay for all this sleep he's doing soon. I had a c-section, but my cramping was worse this time, too. I've kept on the Motrin longer than I did last time.

@catybug820 that is super duper adorable about Cate and the chicken nugget!! Thad looks at his brother every once in awhile and will give him kisses, but hasn't been big on trying to pick him up or hold him yet. I'm okay with that for now.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • The after pains this time were so bad! Way worse than I remember and I needed Motrin the first few days! But it really only lasted until day 4 or so.
  • I had about three mildly painful afterbirth cramps even without Ibuprofen after my second birth but everyone kept telling me they would be unbearable for days! Kinda nervous about this delivery though- I feel like because I had such smooth recoveries both times other than the tearing, this time is going to be horrible >.<
  • When are you due/How old is baby? 10 days old!

4 and 2

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: middle child syndrome... DD1 is doing great and has been through the big sister thing already. She's helpful and gentle and very secure with us so doesn't seem afraid of having another sister. But DD2 is having an identity crisis! If we call her "big girl" she says she's not a big girl. If we call her "baby" now she says she's not a baby. She says she doesn't like the new baby. "I don't like her she's bad". Poor thing. I wish she knew how much we love her and that she could never be replaced.

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : loving the newborn phase again. It's just so freaking easy after dealing with toddlers.

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/ Three is a handful!

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans: I'm a chemist. I'll go back to work eventually. The current plan is to return by November but it could change depending on how I feel (I get paid 4 months, the rest unpaid). I love being home with a baby! But I don't love being home with all 3 at once, I can't seem to keep my act together. So they'll be in preschool part time.
  • Cbeanz said:
    Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : loving the newborn phase again. It's just so freaking easy after dealing with toddlers.
    Ding ding ding. And I only have one toddler. I can't imagine with a 4 and 2 year old. DS is getting all four of his 2-3 year old molars right now. It's an adventure. A different kind of adventure than baby teething.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • longliveregina Ohhh H#!!!!!!!!!!! NO.

BUT this is why I have zero family in town until I'm ready for them (easier to do when they are all out of state and im not telling them.when I go into labor)

@kjd291 this is exactly what I forsee happening.

I guess I'm just not sure how it will work once DS comes in and falls asleep on the outside side of me, DD is in the middle/cosleeper - What happens when I need to change DD's diaper?! (It's these random things I think about lol) Guess it could be DHs job! :smiley::wink:
  • Robi1Robi1 member

When are you due/How old is baby? Due 3/18

3.5 and almost 2

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: Not really worried, but just curious how the logistics of going out with three kids will work, getting them in and out of the car, carrying them, getting everyone ready to go, and dealing with bedtime, night wakeups, early mornings, etc when there's no routine with a newborn. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : My kids are so excited to have a new baby, and I know they will do so great, I just can't wait to see them all interact! Plus I miss having a baby, my kids seem so old!

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/ I'd love to hear from other third or more time moms, especially with kids close together, how they do things like car trips, walking to and from places without having to carry multiple kids, how to manage bedtime, etc. 

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans: I stay at home and do a little work from home. No formal "leave" from that, I just keep going right away. SaveSave
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • When are you due/How old is baby? March 8th

Tyler is 5 1/2 years old 

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM: I am most concerned about DS learning that it isn't all about him any longer. He's super excited to be a big brother, but we'll see what happens when baby is here! 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : I'm excited to see DS learn all about his sister! He literally cannot wait for her to arrive.

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/ I'm hoping the age gap will make for a great helper. Ty is really self sufficient, so hopefully he doesn't regress, and the kid can bring me food/drinks when I'm stuck under a nursing newborn. 

GTKY: SAHM? Returning to work? How long is your leave/post-partum plans: I'll be going back part time for a few weeks at 2 weeks post-partum. It sounds crazy, but I did that with DS too, and it worked out good. It's just a really crazy time of year for me at work, plus I don't have paid maternity leave, and I'm the bread winner in the household. I only have 5 1/2 weeks of vacation, and don't want to burn it all at once. Ugh.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Gators&BoSox remind me when does DH leave? Now that I'm passed EDD I'm starting to get a bit more anxious about mine leaving on the 27th. Ugh..

• @vino831 now it's looking like April 2 instead of march 19 so feeling a bit better about that I guess.. it going to be hard for sure but I'm sure you and I will find a way to survive it .. do you have anyone around that can help? 
  • @vino831 now it's looking like April 2 instead of march 19 so feeling a bit better about that I guess.. it going to be hard for sure but I'm sure you and I will find a way to survive it .. do you have anyone around that can help? 
    Glad it's a bit later!! I'm personally feeling like Every single day the toddler gets with two parents at home will help immensely. 
  • @jkd291 ya I agree. DH goes back to work on the 16th so I have until then to figure out this juggling act lol

is anyone else finding it wicked hard to take it easy? I know I've been over doing it between picking up DS and cleaning. I'm not concerned but definitely bleeding more than I probably should be... I just hate looking at the house after a toddler tornado but I'm trying to resist
  • @Gators&amp;BoSox @vino831
    I can't imagine having hubby's impending absence hanging over your heads like that. I'll be thinking of you both often! 
  • Gators&BoSox that push back will def help!

So we don't have any family in the area. If I REALLY needed the MIL could come up (she's about 6 hr south) but let's just say.. did you see @longliveregina's recent post about her MIL "helping"? That's what I would get. 

"Oh I'll hold the baby so you can (make dinner/change toddlers diaper/clean the kitchen) NO thank you! I'd rather suffer without the comments and judgments

Ofc if anything doesn't go as planned I'll suck it up and ask her up.

What about you? Any help?
  • julievdm12julievdm12 member
    edited March 2017
    @longliveregina
    I have already been reminiscing (not in a good way) about how that happened when Sophia was born and making mental notes not to let it happen again. I  definitely went through a phase of her for a few days I felt like I only got to hold her when she was thinking and is needing to eat. Definitely did not help with the whole  bonding process.   Really hoping to have the balls to be able to tell people when I just need to have my baby back and they can just deal with it. (Way easier in my head than actually doing it,  but a girl can plan right?)
  • DH is heading back on the 10th here too. Dreading it. DD1 is doing okay, but definitely struggling at times.

I wish we lived in like a commune together so we could help you ladies out that are gonna be without hubbies!! 

im definitely having a hard time taking it easy. Getting so weak and dizzy. But I want to do basic things myself and give DD1 attention/help too.  Not sure if it's worse because I had hemorrhaging/excess blood loss.  But it's definitely not like last postpartum timeline. I thought I'd feel a little better by now.
    I'm heading to a newborn appt this morning and worried about going alone and not being able to make it! 
  •  @vino831 I have the neighbors that can help me and maybe my mom on the weekend.. I totally get wanting to get through it yourself instead of having false help

@julievdm12  thank you!

@kjd291 so sorry you're not feeling up to par yet! I too am surprised how this post partum has been more difficult.. I kind of thought it'd be the other way around. I hope your appointment is quick with no issues! We have one today too  :)
  • Gators-We survived! Had to have them open a window again having their heat set at 75... but made it without passing out. Hah. 

Hope you have a good check up today! And maybe get some more assurance about her tummy catching up to your supply!
    Ps-I love how it worked out we have Birthday buddies! <3 
  • @kjd291 props on doing the pediatrician appt alone! I've been too nervous even to drive, but will be venturing out with baby this afternoon to an appt with my OB. The PPH has definitely made my recovery slower too, but I'm finally starting to feel like I have some of my strength back. Now if I could only recover mentally/emotionally from the trauma! To you ladies whose husbands are going out of town soon.... I agree with @Gators&amp;BoSox, wish we could somehow help each other out! Just the thought of being alone with my toddler and newborn for days makes me super anxious!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Grrr this is why I don't post as much as I would like. TB deleted half my post and I am just too tired to retype it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @kjd291 I'm glad you survived! Who keeps an office that hot?! doc did make me feel better about keeping her at an angle at night to try to help  ... and yes I'm so glad they're birthday buddies!
  • @kjd291 HOW DID YOU GET YOUR TODDLER TO SLEEP?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MahiMama said:
    Grrr this is why I don't post as much as I would like. TB deleted half my post and I am just too tired to retype it.
    Booo!! I'm sorry!!

An dsorry you are still struggling with the trauma. Yours happened sometime after birth right? So it wasn't when ppl were around? Or??
    Mine was immediately post birth-so it was all taken care of immediately-but was still so scary.  I didn't share that part of my "birth story" but having people run in and out and different drugs being pumped in me different ways, and (almost more painful than birth) having my midwife up to her elbows inside me sweeping around pulling out giant clots!! 

I hope you can have a stress free outing with babe to head to your appt-and maybe meeting with your doc can help you process some more of your birth experience! Hugs!!