September 2017 Moms

Let's talk Baby Gear/ Baby stuff

Ok so I know it's early but I just had to ask... What is your must have gear/stuff that you will purchase or for those who have kiddos already, what did you purchase that you couldn't live without.  I'm a baby stuff junky so I've already started gathering and researching.

My must haves....
Ollie Swaddle
Milk Snob cover
Dockatot 

Re: Let's talk Baby Gear/ Baby stuff

• Rock & Play, Nose Freida, and a wubbanub were the things that I wouldn't have survived without for my son. 
    For baby #2, I really want a better carrier and a double stroller to make things easier.
  • +1 for a wubbanub! The best thing! 
    Couldnt live without mama roo, boba wrap (babywearing FTW)

this is baby I will be getting a co sleeper, I don't want to lift up and down all night. And also a double stroller, and a more comfortable glider!
  • Loading the player...
  • Rock n play, swaddle sacks, Moby (and then Tula).
  • I loved my muslin blankets. I used them for everything!!! Light weight easy to carry. I used them instead of buying a nursing cover and they worked great! 
  • I'm excited for this thread. I'm a FTM, so no BTDT advice....right now, I'm willing to fork out decent money for:
    - baby carrier (moby style then soft carrier tula style, but I'm open to other brands)
    - stroller (we actually already bought one that we found slightly used)

We have no car and live in an urban area so transporting LO safely and easily is on my top priority list.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• My ergo was a must. I still use it (today in fact) to back carry my 2 year old. I'm considering buying a second but don't know if I should get another ergo or splurge on a Tula toddler carrier for DS and reuse the ergo for round 2. 

I had a 4moms baby rocker for DS and didn't love it, considering getting a traditional swing for round 2.
    **TW** Loss mentioned
    Me:35 DH:35
    Married 9/2013
    BFP#1 1/28/2014 DS born 10/21/2014
    BFP#2 7/4/2016 , MC at 7w5d on 7/27
    BFP#3 1/5/2017
  • Any recommendations for a double stroller for a newborn and 3-year-old? Preferably something where the older kid can stand on the little skateboard stand or sit. (Uppababy Vista is out of my price range.)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @hatrats have you checked out the Babby Jogger City Select? It's similar to the set up of the Vista, but more versitile since it's a longer frame and it doesn't come with the bassinet and isn't as 'luxurious' as the Vista in some of the details so it's quite a lot cheaper than the Vista. Still expensive, but not AS expensive as the Vista.

They're also coming out with a Baby Jogger City Select LUX later in April or May that is a bit more compact and has some other upgrades from the 2016 model.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Baby wearing for the win. I couldn't have lived without baby carriers. Also Pack and Play. Its helpful when they are little to play in while in the shower or trying to get some stuff done. Also helpful for traveling and then we turned into a ball pit as DS got older.

• @hatrats I'm looking at the graco roomfor2. We have a graco car seat that clicks into it and supposedly you can click the seat in the front or the back so you can strap the older child in!
  • @mcdoug211 Thanks I'll check it out too. We were at Babies R Us this weekend looking and found some Graco one I think I liked.. I think it was called Duo or something.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • STM with a 4.5 yo (when baby arrives) active boy. I have a bjorn which might be ok, but I suspect I will need a better carrier/wrap. Any suggestions?
  • For both my babies, my rock n play sleeper, baby carriers and my Boppy pillow were my most used items. I also got a much better stroller after #1 and it made life easier for #2. I got the Britax City Mini. Also I loved my K'Tan that I got with baby #2 better than the Moby I used with #1,and my Ergo was easier to use than my Mei Tai. Other items that were important for me were a good breast pump (Medela Pump in Style), good nursing bras and good nursing pajamas ( I like Majamas).
    For baby #3, I'm looking for a good double stroller, I've heard great things about the Dock a Tot, and would love a Lille Baby Carrier.

imageimage

TTC #1 January 2009
    January 2010 SA results: Count 16 million, Motility 40%, Morphology 2%
    January 2010- Surprise BFP! DS born 10/1/2010 :)
    January 2013 TTC #2
    September 2013 Repeat SA: Count= 1.7 million, Motility= 24%, Morphology= 2%
    November 6th 1st Appointment with RE: diagnosed with severe MFI
    Testing to try to determine a cause & possible treatment for MFI
    CD 3 blood work for me. RE does not want to repeat my HSG/lap at this point,
    but may want to before moving forward with any fertility treatments.
    After seeing the uro, DH is currently taking lots of supplements and clomid to try to boost his count. We will have a repeat SA in February to see if it works.
    Follow up SA numbers are: Count= 4 million, Motility= 40%, Morphology= 1%
    Uro wants us to have another follow up SA 5/9 to see if we see further improvement than we are back to the RE to make a game plan.

SA 5/9/2014 Count: 12 Million, Motility: 60%, and Morphology 2%. We will be doing iui #1 in late June

IUI #1 6/28 clomid + ovidrel, post wash count 3 million total sperm= BFN

IUI # 2 7/21 clomid+ ovidrel. post wash count 900,000 total sperm= BFN

IVF planned for early November- cancelled due to cyst

December IVF #1- 22 eggs, 20 mature,16 fertilized

12/9 Transferred 1 4AA Blast, 6 frosties

*****Everyone is welcome******

• Yes Boppy Pillows. They are super helpful for all kinds of stuff, not just nursing. DD is almost 2 and only on whole milk, and we still use it to rock hold her and rock her. DH always used it too when he would give her a bottle.

• Rock n play, Aden and anis Muslin blankets, baby jogger city mini (now we have a baby jogger city double GT), something to  binge watch during middle of the night feeds. 
  • jesigirlijesigirli member
    edited March 2017
    Nipple ointment, reusable breast pads, medela pump and lots of extra parts, A&A swaddle blankets, Rosie pope sleepers, tons of tommee tippee pacifiers and bibs, and several extra boppy covers. 

ETA:
    if you don't have a nosefrieda they are the best at helping relieve inevitable newborn nasal congestion. Saline nasal mist is a must too.

For reusable breast pads I love the ones I got on Etsy from nicolesbreastfriends. So soft and absorbent with fun prints. They wash up great too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • STM here
    i had a 4moms swing and sold it because DS hated it. I bought a rock n play for this one. 
    Getting a baby jogger city select double stroller.  I had a bagile britax with DS. 
    Carriers: I loved my ergo 360 and solly baby wrap. I had a kta'an but got rid of it. I'm thinking of a Tula for this one but I don't know if I'll like it better. 
    Lots of muslin swaddles, a good baby bathtub, aquaphor as a butt paste. DS has never had a diaper rash using it. 
    Boppy 
    dockatot--didn't have with #1 

• @jessieR358 how did you like the Solly Wrap?  I was thinking of purchasing one.  
  • jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited March 2017
    @jessieR358 how did you like the Solly Wrap?  I was thinking of purchasing one.  
    It wouldn't let me tag you...but I LOVED the solly wrap for when they're little, like under 5-6 months. It is super soft and really easy to put on. I bought two. I had a small tear in one and they sent me a new one. I gave that one to a friend who just had a baby and she loves it too. 
    I plan on buying a new pattern once we find out boy or girl with this baby. 
  • edited March 2017
    Has anyone used a Moby wrap? Good.. bad... awful? Lol, I literally know no one IRL who did any kind of baby wearing, so I know nothing. 

ETA: I've also looked at Mei Tais... any thoughts?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HollyGolightly09 I LOVED my moby wrap. It was so great, DD was so snug in there and would always fall asleep. I am going to try to use it for the twins this time. We'll see how that works out. I might put them in and stay still. Haha. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Rock & Play, A & A swaddle blankets, a good stroller- we got the Uppa Baby Vista specifically because we wanted something we could easily convert to a double, a nice playmat- the kind with the little arches over it to hang toys from
  • 1st kid- 
    rock n play, swing, swaddlers (the Velcro ones), sound machine (both one in her room and a portable one), cloth diapers (as burp cloths), recliner for the nursery, triple paste, and aquaphor. (Will probably add more later as I think of things)

This kid-
    better stroller (had a lightweight chicco that annoyed me) and I'd like to get a britax or city mini. Also a carrier, don't know which I'll get.
  • Hmmm I would say we we're so glad for Velcro swaddle blankets, the boppy pillow for nursing... hm this is harder than I thought... we had a Little Rock and play type thing that came with our urbini "play yard" you can lock it into place in the bassinet and that's where DS slept for a little while when he had some issues with reflux and vomiting. The urbini also came with this really cool music player, I like it because it doesn't have a time limit like a lot of other music players. It stays on until you turn it off. So that's really nice.

Things I want for this baby: a different/better baby tub, a better rock and play, an owlet monitor, a double stroller, a babywearing wrap like a boba or something of the like, probably a much better breast pump like the medela or something.... I can't think of anything else
  • Has anyone used a Moby wrap? Good.. bad... awful? Lol, I literally know no one IRL who did any kind of baby wearing, so I know nothing. 

ETA: I've also looked at Mei Tais... any thoughts?
    I used a Moby with my last baby. I loved it and used it every day. She would just curl up and snuggle in. It was also super easy to breastfeed her in it. It took a little practice getting her in and out but I loved it!!!
  • Ok, so I just looked up the Dock a tot.
    Is this for real?  I get it, it looks great and handy, BUT that price. This is coming from someone who can hold stock in Lululemon (they have a great return / repair policy, same pair of leggings has lasted me 5 years).

Has anyone actually used it? It only goes up to 8 months and... seems like a SIDS risk (please inform me if I am wrong). What is so magical about it?

Canadian Bumpie - Texas bound
    DS #1 [S-5]
    3 Step Daughters [A-8] [E-6] [I-4]
    Baby #2 09/10/2017 
    It's a BOY! 
    Babywearer&EBF
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• I'm going minimalistic this time around:

•Moses basket bassinet
    •Solly baby wrap
    •Baby gym for floor play time
    •Muslin swaddles
    •All the little knit baby clothes  <3

I still have little things leftover from DD; NoseFrida, Ergo carrier, stroller are my already owned must haves! We ended up with so much junk with my daughter, I never used any of the baby "gadgets" or big toys enought that they were with getting. 
  • We LOVED our Boba Wrap. It's a bit softer and stretchier. Just take a couple of goes to get an awesome fit and ooooh how our baby slept in there. It was like my outfit for the first three months! Ha ha. So, I got three different colors. :blush: The best.
  • Hands down, stretchy baby wrap and then soft-structured baby carrier. We're huge fans of Boba, and their wrap and carriers are just the best! I'm totally jealous of all the new adorable prints! Co-sleeper was very valuable, and a good double breast pump turned out to be a necessity as my daughter had some sucking issues that tanked my supply and her intake early on. Lipstick. Get yourself some new lipstick. Nothing fights mom frump like a high ponytail and lipstick! Hee hee. Enjoy!

- Boba Wrap
    - Boba Carrier
    - Co-sleeper
    - Lipstick
  • This is baby #3 so I'm definitely going to need to baby wear. I have a moby and a k'tan for when they are little and an ergo for when it's bigger. I also like the velcro swaddle sacks for night time and muslin blankets during the day. A good nipple cream for myself and a variety of pacifiers since I'm not sure what kind the baby will like. My other need is a rock n play. Both of my other girls slept in it next to my bed for 6 months. It was a lifesaver with my first who had reflux and colic!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My must haves are Summer Infant swaddle sacks, because we never could get a blanket swaddled tight enough that DD couldn't bust out of it.

Sleep sacks are the next must have for me, because they kept DD warm in the winter and spring before she was big enough to use a blanket (She was also a September baby- soooo convenient this time around for reusing things if this one is also a girl!)

Pack-n-play. We used this consistently in the living room for DD to nap in until she was around 6 months old, then used it outside when we had to do yard work. We also still use it with DD when traveling or camping (in a camper.)

DAWN DISHSOAP. For alllllllllllll the baby poop. Works like a charm and prevented my having to throw out many a onesie and outfit.

Boppy. I originally insisted I did not need one of these, but a week into breastfeeding I caved and it saved my life. I hadn't realized just how long breastfeeding takes in the beginning and hadn't realized the need for something to support baby other than your arms. It also served as a way to do tummy time and to prop DD up as she got older and was starting to sit.

This time around, I'm getting a double stroller, want a cosleeper instead of reusing the bassinet, and am getting a regular swing instead of the 4moms Mamaroo. It was a cool concept, but DD hated it and I don't think it actually moves in a way that is calming for a baby. It's almost not quite fast enough or something. 
  • Oh, I forgot before- OXY CLEAN. ALL THE OXY CLEAN.
  • Ok, so I just looked up the Dock a tot.
    Is this for real?  I get it, it looks great and handy, BUT that price. This is coming from someone who can hold stock in Lululemon (they have a great return / repair policy, same pair of leggings has lasted me 5 years).

Has anyone actually used it? It only goes up to 8 months and... seems like a SIDS risk (please inform me if I am wrong). What is so magical about it?
    I have friends who rave about this. The sides do concern me. I'm more on the fence right now, and I'm like you all my workout clothes are lululemon lol. 

A sound machine is a must have hands down!! We take it everywhere. 

I used the medela freestyle pump and loved that. It was so portable and easy to use. I could hook it to my pants and literally pump and fix breakfast or do my hair. 
  • Minimalist over here... my must haves: 

-boobs/bottles/breastpump
    -swaddle blankets- muslin cotton, all the others are worthless
    -wubanub
    -a good baby carrier or wrap
    -nose frieda
    -somewhere to put the baby- bouncer, swing, etc- but just one 
    -crib/pack n play
    -booster seat/high chair that attaches to a kitchen chair
    -cloth diaper burp rags- like the Gerber ones you can get at target

Things I liked, but could've totally done without: 
    -changing table
    -lightweight stroller for after they can sit up
    -exersaucer
    -infant tub
    -bibs 

I think that pretty well covers it. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • @bassoondiva

A&A really are awesome. They get sooo soft with multiple washes. I have two kids and my oldest is about to turn 6 and we still use our original A&A blankets regularly. The size is a big part of what makes them worth the extra expense. Some muslin blankets are nice, but much smaller. The big A&A I've used to swaddle, as a pack n play sheet, blanket outside to lay baby on, car seat cover, nursing cover, super hero cape, spit rag... 
  • awildroseawildrose member
    edited March 2017
    My opinion on baby carriers after two babies:

1. Not all carriers are created equal. Not saying you have to spend $200 dollars, but the $20 dollar ones are $20 for a reason... 
    2. The Moby and Boba wraps are sooooo hot as a mama from the south. Very few mom's I know could handle them in warm months. The Solly is a favorite instead since it's more breathable. 
    3. Watch for ergonomically correct placement for baby's legs and hips on whatever you get. 
    4. Ergo, Boba, Beco, Tula are all AWESOME "backpack" (soft structured) carriers that are designed to fit Baby correctly and be comfortable for the parent wearing them. 
    5. I loved my Mei Tai, but it wasn't as comfortable for long wearing as my Beco. 

I love babywearing! It's exciting to see so many asking about carriers.