March 2017 Moms
Options

Has anyone bought/thought about nursing tops yet?

For those of you who are nursing has anyone bought or thought about nursing tops yet? It only came to me recently that most of my maternity clothing is not nursing friendly and I would really like to find some nice, fashionable nursing tops/dresses. I have liked for the most part the clothing from Motherhood Maternity, but I found their nursing tops to be sadly lacking. The only thing that really caught my eye was the company Mama's Milkbox (Anyone else see them on Shark Tank? I just caught that episode on Hulu). Their clothing looks awesome, only I'm not crazy about the subscription methods they use... (though they do have a nice top you can by strait from the site that I love, though it's a bit pricey so I'm not sure I'll get it.)

What I really want to know is if anyone else had any recommendations for good, attractive, reasonably priced, nursing tops or dresses

Re: Has anyone bought/thought about nursing tops yet?

• Options
    I have a couple of basic nursing tanks from Target. One is a clip down and the other is more of a v-neck where you pull the cup to the side. I wouldn't wear either out without another layer or two on top (I also have about 25 lb to lose from this twin pregnancy...) Both get the job done, but I've determined that I prefer the pull the cup to the side type bras and nursing tops over the clip down.

To be 100%  honest, I've found myself wearing a nursing bra and layering with a loose tshirt. When I nurse I pull the shirt up and the bra down. Sometimes I'll just wear the bra and a cardigan. 

I wouldn't overthink it. I would get a couple of different styles to try out, and determine what works best for you. Since most stores don't have a great in store selection anyway, you can order more in the style you like once LO has been here for a little while.
  • Options
    I really liked layering nursing tanks with cardigans. I wasn't thrilled with most motherhood maternity nursing clothes, tbh. I have bought a few things online from Latched Mama, like dresses and such that you really can't just pull up, lol: they aren't particularly dressy, but they are very soft. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Last time around, I bought very few actual nursing tops, I had a hard time finding ones that fit well as I am very "chesty." I mostly wore a nursing bra with a maternity camisole  (Target carries ones that have a lot of stretch to the neck line, and because they are stretchy they also stay pretty fitted to your body even when not pregnant) and either a loose or empire waist type top (I used my looser style maternity shirts most of the time). This time around, I plan to use it as my excuse to buy some more Lularoe tops because they are loose enough that I'll be able to pull my top up and camisole down, and still stay pretty well covered.
  • Options
    I have a couple of basic nursing tanks from Target.

To be 100%  honest, I've found myself wearing a nursing bra and layering with a loose tshirt. When I nurse I pull the shirt up and the bra down.
    I have the nursing tanks from target and at home I've just been wearing a bathrobe over it - I know classy right.  I also have been just wearing a tshirt with a nursing bra underneath and just pulling up my shirt. I haven't brought the baby out in public yet so not exactly sure what to do in that scenario - I did buy an infinity scarf nursing cover. I've just been wearing my regular clothes in public for now.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Nope! Last baby I just wore my usual clothes and pulled the shirt up or down.  I don't really like any of the options I've seen in store or online... rather buy some looser non-nursing clothes OR just some button ups.

i did "splurge" and order one shirt from latched mama that is super soft and can't wait to wear it!!
  • Options
    I usually wear a nursing bra and something with a v neck or loose neckline and pull both down and to the side. I hate pulling my shirt up and the bra down unless the shirt is very special haha. Dresses with v necks are the best for me, Im on the smaller side décolletage wise so with some shirts I really have to tug that boob out, but like to have my stomach still covered. Layering a regular camisole over your nursing bra and under a v neck or cardigan works especially well too! Nursing covers are also awesome, I have used one with all my babies and will continue to, but many babies hate them! Just have to figure out what's most comfortable for you and honestly, Walmart and Target will give you the same options and results for half the price of boutiques and name brands! 
  • Options
    Not nursing yet, but I have a few tops that work as both maternity and nursing tops from Seraphine that I've been wearing that I'll keep using - got them from Pea in the Pod during their 75% off sales/clearances. I also have a nursing tank from Cake Lingerie that's the only brand I've felt decently covers me - most others feel cut too low to wear on their own. & I got a big infinity scarf that doubles as a cover when I bought a scarf for this winter, so if the baby doesn't hate it I'll have that too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a few tanks and 2 nursing tops. Got them on sale at Motherhood Maternity when I was there shopping.

My bigger issue is nursing bras. I do have a few, but I know I'll want more. But I also know that you really need to wait for your milk to come in before you buy a ton of them. So I'm really having a patience problem instead of an actual problem.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• Options
    I ordered a couple nursing tanks.  The Gap had some great prices with a coupon code ($7), those have yet to arrive so I can't personally review them.  But there's no way my pre-pregnancy attire (size B) is going to work with my now E/Fs so some tanks were required.  Now, I just hope some of my cardigans and button downs work with the tanks.  I also ordered a Bamboobies tank on sale which is sooo soft, but it was still a little pricey.  Found a Madela one on sale at Target that is also quite nice.  Count me in as disappointed in the selection available at stores, Motherhood maternity was a major letdown, and the Madela one I found at the Target store was the only one of the rack.  Hoping the Gap ones (which were half the price of the Madela!) are decent.
  • Options
    I have a couple nursing tanks I plan to wear with a light cardigan over if we're out and about. I have 4 that I'll keep in rotation. I'm not spending on anything fancier until I know we'll be nursing for sure. I do want this sweatshirt, maybe I'll ask for it for Mother's Day. https://www.etsy.com/listing/512678757/nursing-sweatshirt-breastfeeding-top?ref=pr_faveitems
    Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Last time around I would wear a nursing bra and then just regular clothes. I wasn't super comfortable with nursing in public anyways, so it didn't matter. And I just used the Aden and Anais swaddle blankets as a cover if I was out... and basically nursed in the backseat of my car. The only time I feel like it would have been nice was when we were on vacation and had no choice but to nurse in public.  

Moral: They could be a waste of money .. by 4 months, my son was nursing every 4 hours and pretty efficiently and I was happy to have my regular clothes back and not feel restricted. 

For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    i bought a couple of nursing bras and a couple of pull to the side tanks. i didn't nurse in public besides in the back of the car bc DS hated being covered and always popped off bc he was nosey. also i had a forceful let down and usually made a complete mess in public. i mostly just wore normal clothes and nursed at home
  • Options
    Not a fan of nursing tops or dresses. I wear a nursing bra with a regular tank and a shirt or sweater on top, or a nursing tank (love the ones from H&M!) underneath a shirt. The one up/one down method works great, that's what I do most of the time. I often wear a long, flowy type cardigan or sweater that I can easily throw over any bare skin if needed. I never use a cover and nurse in public all the time. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Options
    had to buy some, thinking of buying more. I used Old Navy, not amazing but good enough.
  • Options
    ashley14598ashley14598 member
    edited February 2017
    @RunBooRun I'm struggling with being patient too on waiting on buying nursing bras due to not knowing the size I bought 2 different ones at target in different sizes the size that fits now I'm taking to the hospital and the next size up I'm keeping the receipt for and I'll just return them if they never fit. 

Other than that I have a couple tops that could easily double as both, I got a scarf for a shower gift that I will try, and I have 2 nursing tanks that I found on a clearance rack at Motherhood Maternity. As a FTM I'm thinking I'll just try some different options and see what works best for us before buying too much. 

Edited because on my phone it only posts some of my comments sometimes grr! 
  • Options
    kjd291kjd291 member
    edited February 2017
    I just ordered a 2pack of nursing t's from H&M for 25(ish)bucks. ETA-won't let me attatch the picture :(

They have free shipping&10% today if you want to check out their nursing section 
  • Options
    Dairy Fairy.com has great tops to wear that allow for nursing and hands free pumping. I love mine but it was quite pricey!!! 
  • Options
    I'm super busty, in a 38 g cup. so nursing tops and bras were tough to find. I just kinda rocked out with my tits out at home (which the lactation consultants told me actually help with milk production).  Haha I also don't care so I nursed publicly.  I have a scarf that you can use as a cover which I really liked, or I'd use a receiving blanket. but no, no nursing tops. 
  • Options
    Gators&BoSoxGators&BoSox member
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    @kaylaef did you have any nursing bras you liked for that size? Would love brand/style recs... 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sunshine507 I didn't have much luck no. In Canada unfortunately it's insanely difficult to even find a bra in my size that's not $100 plus. My mother in law sends me bras from England, where they are much more booby friendly! She sent me some from Mother care. I think you can order them online to ship here. they were the ONLY ones that fit me properly. Whenever we travel back to the UK I stock up on bras! You can definitely order from Marks and Spencer and they will ship to Canada/US.  I buy their bras on the regular and they are high quality and verrryyy comfortable. 
  • Options
    Bought some nursing tank tops at Motherhood 2 for 1 deal. Not too bad. I found the smalls were too tight (I am still a small in all my other clothes), so I went up to a medium.. as they seem to fit small or maybe I am just getting bigger haha. They are easy to "unhook" and hopefully will hold up and come into use!