Baby Names

Emery for a boy?

I'm new here. My husband and I have a terrible time with boy names. We finally decided on Emery (which is historically a boy name and is a name  have always loved), but then I looked it up, and it is now being used for girls a lot more than boys. I personally am not a fan of the boy names for girls trend, but it obviously affects how people will view a boy with one of those names. I don't really want son to have to deal with having what could be seen as a "girl name," but then I also think it is pretty sexist to have a problem with that when everyone seems ok with giving daughters boy names. Seems to indicate that it is ok, or even complimentary, for girl to be mistaken for boy but shameful for a boy to be mistaken for a girl, right? Anyway, what would you all think of a boy named Emery? Middle name either Thomas or Theodore.

If you have other ideas, I'm open to them. The other names we have on our list but don't love as much are Cedric and Arthur (but dd is Esther and that seems to match-y, maybe?). We liked Martin and Owen, too, but our last name brings N, so they would blend into it. If this baby is a girl (Team Green), she will be Clara Catherine or Clara Mae.

Re: Emery for a boy?

• Personally, I have never seen that name used. I wouldn't judge it either way and like the sound of Emery Thomas. What about Emerson? I know a couple of boys with that name. 

Also love Clara Mae! 
  • Emery still sounds masculine to me. If I met a little girl named this I would think her parents gave her a boy name. I think Emery Thomas flows better but I do love the name Theodore. Also suggesting:

Everett
    Frederick
    Edward
    Albert
    Leonard
    Harold
    Isaac
    Caleb
    Gabriel
    Clarence

• Loading the player...
  • I personally know
    Kelly
    Tracy
    Taylor
    Avery
    Courtney.......all boys! I never have heard that  trouble with their names (just because some girls have the same name) . They are all strong well adjusted men/young men and the wear there names well....as they should! When I hear the name Emery, I think boy first. If you love the name, then go for it! I also love Cedric and Arthur.
    Adding to your list
    Ellery
    Cyril
    Edison
    Cyrus
  • That is really good to hear about the boys you know with unisex or trending-female names! That makes me feel better.

It's funny you listed Cyrus - that was the boy name we had picked for dd before she was born and we found out she was a girl! We still love , butUnfortunately, a good friend named her dog Cyrus recently, so now that one is of the table. I like Cyril, though. I guess i just like names that start with a soft C...
  • saham07 said:
    I personally know
    Kelly
    Tracy
    Taylor
    Avery
    Courtney.......all boys! I never have heard that  trouble with their names (just because some girls have the same name) . They are all strong well adjusted men/young men and the wear there names well....as they should! When I hear the name Emery, I think boy first. If you love the name, then go for it! I also love Cedric and Arthur.
    Adding to your list
    Ellery
    Cyril
    Edison
    Cyrus
       Their names ....not there names......yikes
  • That is really good to hear about the boys you know with unisex or trending-female names! That makes me feel better.

It's funny you listed Cyrus - that was the boy name we had picked for dd before she was born and we found out she was a girl! We still love , butUnfortunately, a good friend named her dog Cyrus recently, so now that one is of the table. I like Cyril, though. I guess i just like names that start with a soft C...
       My son has a very sweet friend named Cyril
  • I actually like Emery when it's used properly (that whole using masculine names for girls thing is patriarchal bullshit.) but I will admit I'll alays think of the band when I hear the name.
  • saham07 said:
    saham07 said:
    I personally know
    Kelly
    Tracy
    Taylor
    Avery
    Adding to your list
    Ellery
    Cyril
    Edison
    Cyrus
    Ha, I said "to" instead of "too" in my initial post. Ugh.
  • Yeah, that's my other concern. The band and the manicure boards...
  • I've known several Emerys,  all of them girls. Personally I see it as a masculine name and immediately think boy. I would say that it depends on your area and if it's popular as a girl's name there. My other association is an emery board to file you nails. That's the reason I vetoed it when DH brought it up. 

That at being said I really like Cedric. It's a great under used name.
  • I would assume boy but it is trendy for girls anything with Em or El is right now. I do think Arthur is a bit matchy but I LOVE Cedric!

• Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I do actually really like Cedric, maybe more than Emery, but my husband thinks everyone will immediately associate it with Cedric the Entertainer. I didn't even know who that was until he said it, so I obviously don't know how common that reaction would be. Anybody else think of that or some other really specific association with Cedric?
  • ashleyandelyashleyandely member
    edited November 2016
    I actually think of Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter. But I think people could associate any name with anything you know? It's a great name and definitely underused! 

ETA: I like it better than Emery (which is all boy to me) and it goes nice with Esther! 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • I don't have anything against Emery for a boy...but the name itself is not my favorite. All I hear is someone with a speech impediment saying "Emily." Maybe I'm a terrible person, but I can't not hear it. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Emery is all boy name to me, no matter how many parents give it to their daughters.  Same with Avery, and anything ending in "son" (even when they spell it "syn" you know cuz it's a girl).  I wouldn't think twice about using it if you love it.
  • Agree with most PPs that Emery is all boy to me, but I always think of emery boards for filing your nails when I hear it. Also, pretty much anything El- or Em- is very trendy on girls right now, so I feel like I hear that sound all over the place. That being said, if you love the name, use it. We have always wanted to name DS James, and didn't think twice about still using it when it started being trendy on girls.

I actually much prefer Cedric with your DD's name and didn't think of Cedric the Entertainer when you posted it. I like PP, thought of Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One of my good friends named his baby boy Emery and it fits him well so far (he's 3) I had never heard it as a name before he used it though so I had no masculine/feminine association with it at all. Cedric is NMS but I did think of Cedric the Entertainer as your husband did.

Historically, names change from "boy" names to "girl" and back. Ashley used to be an incredibly masculine name and now it would be probably considered odd for a boy. I think as long your name is an actual name (nothing YouNeek) then who cares?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My grandfather was Emory. That's the spelling I see as traditional. But yes, love Emory/Emery for a boy!  
  • Emery is all male to me. One of my favorite male names is Taylor, but my DH thinks it's a girls name so he vetoed it. Ugh. Thanks Taylor Swifts parents. :-/ 
  • joforyogajoforyoga member
    edited February 2017
    I think 
    1. It's traditionally a boy name
    2. If it becomes the norm for girls to then it's kinda unisex so who cares?
    3. If some was making fun of my child for having a name that they thought was weird according the stereotypical gener boxes they havenin thier mind then Inwould use it as a great lesson for my child on not doing such things to others.

if you love it go for it! I think it's quite a handsome name:)
  • I think Emery is much more common for girls now (same as Emerson and Avery). I wouldn't use a unisex name that has been taken over by girls. My husband's name is Robin and he hates it. Many people will assume Emery is a girl.
  • For a boy, I would spell it Emory. Emery seems feminine to me. 
  • saham07 said:
    saham07 said:
    I personally know
    Kelly
    Tracy
    Taylor
    Avery
    Adding to your list
    Ellery
    Cyril
    Edison
    Cyrus
    Hah @saham07 I didn't realize you wrote both posts and was like "whoa intense grammar policing going on today!!"
    :)
  • I think Emery is much more common for girls now (same as Emerson and Avery). I wouldn't use a unisex name that has been taken over by girls. My husband's name is Robin and he hates it. Many people will assume Emery is a girl.
    I agree with this. I went to school with a boy named Shannon and he hated it. He tried to get everyone to call him by his last name instead. I think Cedric is a great name and have never heard of Cedric the Entertainer.