Pregnant after IF

Ultrasound gave me the spins

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced what I did yesterday.

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have been dealing with morning (all day) sickness for the past week or so. Yesterday, I had my first pregnancy ultrasound at my fertility clinic (I've had ultrasounds in the past but this was the first for this pregnancy).
I felt ill from MS when I went there. It was a vaginal ultrasound and (sorry if TMI) when my doctor inserted the wand, the room started spinning, spiraling really, for 5 second or so. I didn't say anything during the appointment because the spiraling ended quickly, but it caught me off guard and the sensation was a little scary in the few seconds it lasted. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming it is correlated to the morning sickness? Could it have had anything to do with the progesterone gel I've been using? It was definitely triggered by the insertion of the wand, but it's never happened before.

ps. All is well with the baby! HB 127!

Re: Ultrasound gave me the spins

• I'm not a doctor or anything but it could be low blood pressure? Do you have a history of low blood pressure? I do and often get this type of sensation, like when you stand up too quickly and you get a head spin? I haven't had it from an ultrasound wand. 
    **TW**
    Me & DH - 31
    TTC since December 2011
    Diagnosis: Unexplained, although mild polycystic ovaries (not syndrome) and irregular cycles
    2013/14: 6 rounds clomid,
    Aug 2015: IVF #1 = Antagonist Cycle: 100 Puregon and Orgalutran
                                     21 eggs collected, only 1 viable embryo, transferred but BFN
    July/Aug 2016: IVF #2 (with acupuncture) = 87.5 Gonal F and Synarel Spray 2xdaily
                                          ER 8/8, transferred 1 day 5 blastocyst 13/8, 2 frosties.
                                          Beta #1 = 85  Beta #2 = 242
                                          EDD 1st May 2017 *Baby Boy*

• I had an episode of vertigo at about 7weeks, not related to the ultrasound, I was at home, but it lasted 20mins! Vertigo is a less common pregnancy symptom, but it happens!  My doc told me to drink more water and it never happened again  (thankfully!)
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17
  • Loading the player...
  • @2legbaby it was kind of scary! I can't imagine that happening for 20 minutes! It happened one more time when I woke up yesterday morning when I turned my head too quick while in bed. But it hasn't happened since, thankfully. Trying to increase water intake!
  • @teriulbricht I don't have a history of low blood pressure. I'm glad it was over quickly! I do get a little dizzy at times when moving too quickly but nothing like what happened at the doctor. So weird! 
  • @Stella9876 very strange! I'd bring it up at your next appointment, they might be able to give you some more insight. 
    **TW**
    Me & DH - 31
    TTC since December 2011
    Diagnosis: Unexplained, although mild polycystic ovaries (not syndrome) and irregular cycles
    2013/14: 6 rounds clomid,
    Aug 2015: IVF #1 = Antagonist Cycle: 100 Puregon and Orgalutran
                                     21 eggs collected, only 1 viable embryo, transferred but BFN
    July/Aug 2016: IVF #2 (with acupuncture) = 87.5 Gonal F and Synarel Spray 2xdaily
                                          ER 8/8, transferred 1 day 5 blastocyst 13/8, 2 frosties.
                                          Beta #1 = 85  Beta #2 = 242
                                          EDD 1st May 2017 *Baby Boy*

• Dizziness and vertigo are totally normal symptoms but the situation sounds odd.
    It could have just been nerves that brought on the symptoms but I agree to mention it next time just in case! 
  • @stella9876 it was bad...every time I moved a little bit the room spun faster...then I dry heaved at the end
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17